Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Years ago (over a decade at least) there was a pasta salad in a Cooks Illustrated magazine that I copied or printed that has you cook rotini, spread it on a sheet pan to cool and then as it's cooling, toss it with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, S&P (so a basic dressing) and let it finish cooling and absorb the dressing. Then you chop sugar snap peas, halve cherry tomatoes, chop green peppers, and toss all that together with the cooled pasta and a good amount of feta cheese and whatever other seasonings you like (generally ground cumin, coriander, paprika and a little cayenne). It all bashes together, and with the crumbly smashed feta it tends to coat itself. It's really good, and it's become my go-to pasta salad now. No mayo, lots of flavor, and not soggy/wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tuna salad or bust.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe it's the effect of way too many church potlucks and such growing up, idk. But the whole starch+mayonnaise+whatever served cold or room temp just makes me ill. And I've never discovered one that tasted good.

Also, "pasta salad" generally means rotini in Italian salad dressing served wet and weird tasting. I've never met a good one of these either.

I will admit that some Lebanese friends make a tabouli that is out of this world, but it's 90% parsley so it's really just a salad and I like salads.

You need to get some German potato salad up in you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Best potato salads I've ever had have all been part of the banchan at Korean joints. Not sure what makes them so good.

Sugar

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kalista posted:

Years ago (over a decade at least) there was a pasta salad in a Cooks Illustrated magazine that I copied or printed that has you cook rotini, spread it on a sheet pan to cool and then as it's cooling, toss it with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, S&P (so a basic dressing) and let it finish cooling and absorb the dressing. Then you chop sugar snap peas, halve cherry tomatoes, chop green peppers, and toss all that together with the cooled pasta and a good amount of feta cheese and whatever other seasonings you like (generally ground cumin, coriander, paprika and a little cayenne). It all bashes together, and with the crumbly smashed feta it tends to coat itself. It's really good, and it's become my go-to pasta salad now. No mayo, lots of flavor, and not soggy/wet.

Almost :same: here, but usually with arugula. It's gotta have the tomatoes, lemon, and some cheese to be acceptable pasta salad.

Also one time I used lentil-based pasta :barf:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yup. Sugar and rice vinegar.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

my go to pasta salad is similar, halved cherry tomatoes, kalamatas, feta, sometimes spinach, slivered bell pepper and red onion pickled in red wine vinegar with cracked pepper & oregano, I whisk in some olive oil to the pickling liquid to use as a dressing for the whole thing

whole foods makes an alright-in-a-pinch pasta salad with spinach, roasted red pepper, tomato, basil & smoked mozzarella, but I prefer vinegar-based dressings so I make my own version of that on occasion

one of my friends made a huge portion of german potato salad a while back and we ran out of places to keep things warm, so he tossed the whole crock in a fire and goddamn if that wasn't the best potato salad I've ever had, good acidity in the dressing, bright vegetal flavor from the parsely, little sweet from the onion, and a nice subtle woodsmoke from the fire & bacon

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh honey honey

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Brawnfire posted:

Oh honey honey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBojt6fDVvw

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The most important thing about potato salad is that potatoes are black holes where flavor goes to die. You need to season and flavor at every step in the process. Cook the potatoes in salted water, preferably with a glug of some kind of vinegar. When they're cooling and trying, touch up the seasoning, maybe add some more acid. Go light on whatever you're using for sauce, and if you're serving the stuff room temperature or cooler, bump the seasoning up another notch.

The most important thing about pasta salad is to throw it in the trash

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I did an entree for a while that was pork ribs, cole slaw and potato salad, the potato salad was new potatoes tossed with housemade whole grain mustard (1 part mustard seeds, 1 part vinegar, 1 part white wine, soak 3 days or until seeds are plump and absorb most of the liquid, blend roughly in Vitamix until about half the seeds are cracked), good evoo, parsley, chives, salt and pepper, and we'd regularly get told it was the best potato salad the customer had ever had.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

That video was stolen.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Everclear is illegal in my state except with a license, which can be granted for industrial, commercial, culinary or medicinal uses. I mostly just want to buy a bottle to experiment w/ CBD tinctures without having to drive to new jersey, but I don't really want to mention cannabis on my application. What are some plausible culinary uses? Pepper extracts?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

poverty goat posted:

Everclear is illegal in my state except with a license, which can be granted for industrial, commercial, culinary or medicinal uses. I mostly just want to buy a bottle to experiment w/ CBD tinctures without having to drive to new jersey, but I don't really want to mention cannabis on my application. What are some plausible culinary uses? Pepper extracts?

http://www.makeityourown.com/recipes

I guess anything on the official Everclear page would probably seem feasible, especially if you have any history of working in the bar or restaurant industry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just tell 'em you wanna make limonchello.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And then make some limoncello as well, because it’s great

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah Green Dragon just sounds fun in theory, but Limoncello is the drink that keeps on drinking

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It really does, that poo poo is aces.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Limoncello would definitely help my mood more than CBD

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sometimes I read Lifehacker cooking articles to laugh. Sometimes it's because of the recipes, sometimes...

quote:

A good reuben is a battle-cum-balancing act of contrasting flavors and—unless you are intentionally trying to obscure the taste of a plant part—you want a vegetable that can hold its own against the other ingredients.

e: I was being a child contra-pedant talking about the cum battle, the article is talking about veggies in addition to sauerkraut :ssh:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 23, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wat.

Cabbage. The answer is cabbage. Cabbage that has been lactofermented, or as we call it, sauerkraut. Preferably with caraway, for my taste, but yours may vary.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There can be only one victor...of the cum battle

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Sometimes I read Lifehacker cooking articles to laugh. Sometimes it's because of the recipes, sometimes...

e: I was being a child contra-pedant talking about the cum battle, the article is talking about veggies in addition to sauerkraut :ssh:

I think the only one that was interesting I saw was the "prime fib" - a multi day sous vide chuck roast.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This morning, I was out to breakfast with the woman, and she suggests that we stop at the grocery store on the way home and buy a pork shoulder, make some pulled pork in the crock pot. Sounded like a nice plan for a lazy Saturday.

And then... the first two supermarkets we went to didn't have them. What the hell? What supermarket doesn't stock shoulders?

We found a decent looking one at the third market we went to, but once we got it home... It was rotten and stunk up my whole kitchen as soon as I cut the plastic open. It was so bad that I had to open all the windows to air the stench out of the kitchen. I've NEVER bought bad pork before, and this had 5 days left until the sell by date.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I've had multiple incidents like that from Safeway until i was just permanently burned and won't buy supermarket packaged pork anymore

So pork shoulder isn't a cheap cut for me anymore

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Vacuum-sealed pork always reeks. Something about the vacuum-sealing and the blood makes it smell like it's gone off, but it really hasn't. Throw out the packaging and drain the blood, leave the piece of pork to sit and it'll be fine in a few minutes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i'll try that, then. they were all vacuum-sealed, yes

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've had a two pack of pork tenderloin that's been vacuum sealed and the first one reeked, plus tasted like farts but the second one was repacked and cooked two days later and it was fine. Not a whiff of stank

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Cryo pork is always nasty right when you open it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don’t eat pork but y’all sure make it sound appetising.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Normal pork from a butcher (or supermarket) is fine and non-smelly. One to add to the 'why brexit is a bad idea and no-one should want to import food from the US' list.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

therattle posted:

I don’t eat pork but y’all sure make it sound appetising.

Pretty much any meat will develop a funk when vacuum sealed. Pork just happens to often make it to consumer hands packaged that way. It goes away with a quick rinse.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 24, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty much any meat will develop a funk when vacuum sealed. Pork just happens to often make it to consumer hands packaged that way. It goes away with a quick rinse.

Pork funk would be a good username.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I played bass for Pork Funk

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I bought a bunch of $.99/lb pork shoulders at food lion a few weeks ago, made some kenji green chili and pulled pork, froze one, broke a couple down and froze them in smaller quantities for curries or w/e and froze the bones for soup. Everything smelled fine and was delicious. That's my cheap supermarket pork story

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Pork Funk was my James Brown coverband

real talk, I’m pretty sure Costco always has $.99/lb pork shoulder, usually 2 ~10# shoulders per bag. I’ve never had a bad experience with it.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I stopped buying my meat from the grocery store and buy it from vendors at farmers markets, and I haven't had an issue in over 2 years. My favorite market has beef, chicken, pork, and bison vendors, as well as a fish stall. All but the fish are local farms (I'm landlocked so the fish is flown in fresh and pricey as hell).

The chicken is vacuum sealed but it's not too skunky.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I ate a pineapple that had started fermenting. Like cut it open it fizzed, it was going brown and it tasted alcoholic.

It was loving delicious. Good decision, or did I dodge a bullet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

I ate a pineapple that had started fermenting. Like cut it open it fizzed, it was going brown and it tasted alcoholic.

It was loving delicious. Good decision, or did I dodge a bullet?
Fermented fruit owns. Every so often I'll get a fermented apple off the tree and it's great.