Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gravitee posted:

SE Michigan here too friend. Sadly, I still have to work tomorrow.

My kids' school called off tomorrow exactly as they dismissed today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Good luck goons. Remember that hot cocoa is an excellent vessel for scotch.

Rye not so much. I'm finding I only enjoy it by itself or mixed with other whiskey.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a sweet / dessert whiskey.

I have High West A Midwinter Night's Dram and Glenmorangie Lasanta, both sweeter, than what I typically drink, but I'm looking for something a bit more exciting than the Glenmorangie and easier to find than the Mindwinter Night's Dram. I hear that the Nikka Coffey Malt or Glenmorangie Nectar D’Or might be up my alley, but I'm still looking for suggestions.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

obi_ant posted:

I have High West A Midwinter Night's Dram and Glenmorangie Lasanta, both sweeter, than what I typically drink, but I'm looking for something a bit more exciting than the Glenmorangie and easier to find than the Mindwinter Night's Dram. I hear that the Nikka Coffey Malt or Glenmorangie Nectar D’Or might be up my alley, but I'm still looking for suggestions.

Tullamore Dew has nice sweetness in the body, if you can get past the kitschy bottle

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

obi_ant posted:

I recommend Angel's Envy Finished Rye. It's sweet, finished in rum casks, and not too different from MWND. Probably a tiny bit stronger, and the sugar/molasses from the rum cask is really apparent.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

If it's sweet you're after, that seems to be Canada's thing. Forty Creek Barrel Select and Copper Pot are quite sweet and should be easy to find.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

obi_ant posted:

For desert, don't be afraid to venture afield a bit, too. Brandy is similarly aged, great value, and a bit more classically desert-ish. Port is a fun treat, too, and probably a novelty for most people.

For actual whisky, Belle Meade has a sherry cask finished bourbon that I found to be quite similar to Midwinter Night's Dram, and a bit cheaper I believe.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

I recommend Angel's Envy Finished Rye. It's sweet, finished in rum casks, and not too different from MWND. Probably a tiny bit stronger, and the sugar/molasses from the rum cask is really apparent.

Just FYI, this stuff is REALLY sweet. If MWND is a 5/10 on sweetness, AE Rye is a 9/10.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Vox Nihili posted:

Just FYI, this stuff is REALLY sweet. If MWND is a 5/10 on sweetness, AE Rye is a 9/10.
Agree.

I just would give the caveat that Angel's Envy isn't like Fireball or Jack Daniels Honey or whatever syrupy garbage is out there. It's still a tasty rye whiskey through and through, with a strong sweet note.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd go for a sweet, raisiny rum like Zacapa or Diplomatico.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Enigma posted:

If it's sweet you're after, that seems to be Canada's thing. Forty Creek Barrel Select and Copper Pot are quite sweet and should be easy to find.

Seconding the above. For a few glorious months the liquor shop near me had it for twenty bucks a bottle.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If you can't come up with anything in a bottle, consider whisky cocktails too. Godfather and Rusty Nail are both classic whisky base digestifs, and you can tune the sweetness to your liking by adjusting the ratio.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

obi_ant posted:

Aberlour A’bunadh is absolutely fantastic, rich and thick. Price is high though.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Get a bottle of Drambuie and mix it 50/50 with the scotch of your choice in a glass for the ultimate dessert whiskey drink. It's the only sweet scotch cocktail worth a drat imo.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Whalley posted:

Get a bottle of Drambuie and mix it 50/50 with the scotch of your choice in a glass for the ultimate dessert whiskey drink. It's the only sweet scotch cocktail worth a drat imo.

Or go full alcoholic and just drink the bottle of Drambuie!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You mellow corn fans might get a kick out of this- a chick in Yunnan, China, a remote and unpolluted province that borders Vietnam, Laos and Burma, makes youtube videos of cooking in her village with traditional old-fashioned stuff.

She's got one where she makes corn whisky for her grandpa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGx0W_2S3bE

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 5, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holy crap that was really really cool.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Agreed. I wish that poo poo was legal to do where I live.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
All that equipment seems pretty unsophisticated.

:thunk:

I wonder ...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks for sharing that video. That was super interesting to see such a different home distilling set up.

Also, as an unrelated aside, I ate lunch at a bar in NYC that had a full set of BTAC and Pappy bourbons and ryes. I had the William Larue Weller, Pappy 15 and Pappy 23. The WLW was very good. It's quite different from my George T Stagg which has much more of a dark chocolate note to it versus the sweeter profile of the WLW. Can't say which was better but the WLW was excellent. The Pappy 15 I liked even slightly better than the WLW. It was really good. The 23 was intense and less palatable. It was interesting but not my cup of tea. I would go for the 15 every time. Now is the WLW worth $700 in the secondary market and is the Pappy 15 worth $1200 in the secondary market? Absolutely not. They were excellent but not life changing. I could see paying $200+ but not current market pricing. And is the Pappy 23 worth $3000+? gently caress NO.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hakimashou posted:

...she makes corn whisky for her grandpa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGx0W_2S3bE

When I read the description I expected it to be this girl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A0ylonIRzU

But to my surprise there is another young Chinese girl making things in old fashioned ways.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

Apparently the Angel's Envy Finished Rye is hard to get. My local shop was able to get a 6 pack and held one for me. This. Stuff. Is. Delicious. It was exactly what I was looking for. The nose was very good, it was fairly close to a doughnut covered in dried brown sugar / maple syrup. Very easy drinking too. I wished I was able to pick up more than a bottle.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just busted in to my Glendronach 18 tonight, wow is this good. I was really caught off guard though, there’s a very distinct pepper note in this, I dig it.

A few drops of water definitely dulls the pepper note almost altogether. I don’t think I’ve really tasted something with that pepper before.

Just a delightful drink though, would definitely recommend if you like sherried scotch.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So my local Festival Foods had "Minor Case: Straight Rye Whiskey, Sherry Cask Finished" on sale from $46 to $30, so I figured "hey why not try it out." People here were curious about sherry casks anyways.

I checked the age and uh, 24 months, that's not a lot of time to age a whiskey, especially when you're talking about a "sherry cask finish", which is theoretically a double barrel rye. But hey, $30 isn't a bad price to see what a company was trying to sell for $46. :v:

And uh, wow. There're two characteristics that surprises me in regard to its young age: One, despite it being aged only seemingly a little in a sherry cask, it has a very fruity/wine-y profile that lasts throughout the taste. Two, it's very smooth and very tasty. Its youth is undeniable, it's pretty blunt and brash about its flavor, but it's a very good flavor. It's wine and rye flavor profile pares really well with savory food and cheeses, if you're interested in a dinner whiskey. I can't say that it's a must-buy $46 whiskey, but if it were to always be at $30 it would definitely be a mainstay for me. I'm definitely going to go back and buy a couple more bottles. If you're curious about sherry casks, I'd say try it out because it's sherry characteristics are apparent and you get to sense what it does to smooth out a young whiskey.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 10, 2019

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Currently on Speyside and there is good and bad news about sherried scotch.

The good news is that Glendronach 15 has been re-released and its not at all a bad facsimile of the old one. A few people have said it's not quite the equal of the previous bottling but I had some and it was drat good. I'd have to taste new vs old head to head to compare. It's retailing in the UK in the £60 to £65 range although availability is currently a bit random.

The bad news is that the Aberlour Abunad'h has basically doubled in price. Was a total bargain at £45, at £85-£90 it has serious competition.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The GlenDronach has also doubled in price compared to the old bottling a couple years ago.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
A'bunadh is a US$70 whisky, and I think that's a fair price given the current state of the industry. There seems to be a dearth of good Speyside and Highland options in the $70-90 range, and then you get to the bargain 18yrs like Glenlivet 18 for $100 (which I would probably drink over A'bunadh 9 times out of 10.)

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

The GlenDronach has also doubled in price compared to the old bottling a couple years ago.

I think it was around £40-£45 so it has gone up but not doubled. Prices have gone up across the board the last few years but there's still relative bargains to be had.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TobinHatesYou posted:

A'bunadh is a US$70 whisky, and I think that's a fair price given the current state of the industry. There seems to be a dearth of good Speyside and Highland options in the $70-90 range, and then you get to the bargain 18yrs like Glenlivet 18 for $100 (which I would probably drink over A'bunadh 9 times out of 10.)

When you say it’s a $70 whisky do you mean that’s what you think it should sell for? The new batches are all close to $100 here, but you can sometimes find an older batch still at $70.

I would really like to try the Glendronach cask strength to see how it compares to the A’bunadh, which is currently my favorite whisky.

Has anyone tried the high west yippi-like-yay? I’ve heard it’s very sweet, but sometimes I’m definitely in the mood for a sweeter drink.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I mean that I can walk into K&L or Total Wine tomorrow and buy it for $70 and I see it as a fair price. However I’ve never been enamored with A’bunadh and if you ask me, Glendronach Cask Strength releases blow it away...they are worth the price premium.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

I think it was around £40-£45 so it has gone up but not doubled. Prices have gone up across the board the last few years but there's still relative bargains to be had.

Iirc I got mine for €35 ish. That wasn't some crazy deal but the normal price at the time for the 15yo revival. An absolute steal.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TobinHatesYou posted:

I mean that I can walk into K&L or Total Wine tomorrow and buy it for $70 and I see it as a fair price. However I’ve never been enamored with A’bunadh and if you ask me, Glendronach Cask Strength releases blow it away...they are worth the price premium.

Dang, it’s like $95 at total wine up here in Minnesota , and we generally are on the lower end for alcohol pricing.

I’ve been meaning to try the Glendronach cask strength, will have to pick up a bottle soon.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I sat in a wood cabin with 2 friends, drinking Redneck Whiskey and feeding a fire to avoid dying in -25*C.

Might have been the ambiance, but the Redneck Whiskey gets a solid 7.5/10 from me. Surprisingly sweet. The first few tastes were a bit drab, but once acclimated, it turned into a fairly smooth experience.

There's a couple of Redneck Whiskeys, but this one is by Dumbass.

Some of the product names are pretty goofy.
https://drizly.com/liquor-brands/dumbass-whiskey/b13674

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Anyone else attending the Buffalo Trace William Larue Weller dinner in March? I figured I'd make the trip down to visit Buffalo Trace and partake in a Legendary Craftsman series dinner. Also I caved and bought a 2018 WLW and the Bookers 30th Anniversary.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Yuns posted:

Anyone else attending the Buffalo Trace William Larue Weller dinner in March? I figured I'd make the trip down to visit Buffalo Trace and partake in a Legendary Craftsman series dinner. Also I caved and bought a 2018 WLW and the Bookers 30th Anniversary.

:yeshaha:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions to something as unique or sweet as Angel's Envy Finished Rye?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whiskey tasting! It was scotch last year, and american this year.

Starting taste: Evan Williams Single Barrel I've had this before, had half a bottle even, nothing new to note. Perfectly pleasant.

Michter's Rye Sweet on the tongue, could definitely taste that rye on the front of my tongue, and then a loooong finish. Honestly think it was quite good.

Willet Pot Still Bourbon Very sweet nose, kind of neutral on the tongue, finish was quite fast and a bit of a burn. Eh. It was fine, but nothing important.

Blanton's Deep nose, lingering taste, with a slow finish. I mean I haven't had it before but I knew roughly what to expect, very good.

Pikesville Rye Gahaha I just picked up a bottle of this last month, so not a whole lot new to say here either, very high proof, I like it but not as much as rittenhouse because really what rye is as good as rittenhouse.

Then a couple on the stranger side.

Westland American Oak Billed as single malt but young and not-from-Scotland, I wrote that it had a quick nose, strong characteristic single malty taste, hot on the tongue, and a hot, long finish. Quite good.

Westland Peated From the same guy, Matt Hofmann, who apparently has won all sorts of awards, mild nose, very smooth like really really smooth, and I could only taste the peat on the finish. Would happily drink again.

So, long story short: I think I'll look into the Michter's some more, and the Westland stuff was super interesting! The presenter was asking the host whether he could arrange Japanese whisky next year...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really like the Westland Peated. It's a little overpriced in my opinion, about $90 here in Oregon, but luckily my dad latched onto it as a go-to Xmas present for me the last couple years.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions to something as unique or sweet as Angel's Envy Finished Rye?

Is that the one finished in rum casks?

I haven’t had any of these, but I hear great things about High West ‘A midwinter’s night dram’. Jefferson’s also makes a rum cask finished bourbon. Both of those are available around me at least with a bit of looking.

I’ve never had AE rye, I’ve just had their normal port finished bourbon, which is also pretty sweet.

Bonus off the wall would be this year’s Parker’s Heritage, which was finished in orange curaçao barrels, which gives it quite a bit of sweetness, but it’s bottles at 110 or 115 proof and is definitely unique(this would probably be a very polarizing bourbon though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Pikesville Rye Gahaha I just picked up a bottle of this last month, so not a whole lot new to say here either, very high proof, I like it but not as much as rittenhouse because really what rye is as good as rittenhouse.

So you enjoy regular Rittenhouse more than an extra aged, higher proof Rittenhouse? This is why tastings are fun, IMHO ryes really do shine at younger ages compared to bourbons.