Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why does disney keep killing Forrest Whitaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Compare Loki first declaring his intention to rule the Earth to a hundred or so random bystanders that happen to be around when he steals the staff to Zod announcing "you are not alone" simultaneously to the entire world through a display of overwhelming technological superiority.

Joss Whedon's "Germany battle arena" playset was only so big.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The fact that Man of Steel works as a piece of science fiction about first contact with a bizarre alien race, completely separate from any connection to the previous history of the Superman character, makes it great to me. I'll always love it for that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Is this watchable if I haven't seen the TV show? I've heard good things about it and am curious about the Adam West Batman thing, but not sure I want to dig into a whole series.

The movie is largely independent of the show, in that it was originally intended to be the pilot

It's basically just an episode of the show that's really long

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Is this watchable if I haven't seen the TV show? I've heard good things about it and am curious about the Adam West Batman thing, but not sure I want to dig into a whole series.

The show never had any real continuity outside of the cliffhangers in two-parters. As long as you know the bare bones basics about Batman, you shouldn’t have any issue jumping in with the movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's absolutely watchable without seeing the series. There's no continuity or callbacks or anything, it's just a very fun time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Awesome. Thanks for all the responses.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sir Kodiak posted:

It legit rules.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mecha Gojira posted:

No joke or quip in any of the Marvel films will ever be as funny as the toner gag in Man of Steel.

And yet, the toner gag might as well be “why did the chicken cross the road” in the face of the “days since last accident” gag.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Ferrinus posted:

And yet, the toner gag might as well be “why did the chicken cross the road” in the face of the “days since last accident” gag.

That was some straight Looney Tunes level sight gag. And people call this movie overly serious and dour.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Gotta be honest, I don't remember the toner gag.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man of Steel will stand the test of time.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

McCloud posted:

What do you mean? Don't you find Loki threatening the way he got sassed by an old man and then chumped by captain america cosplayer?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oesqLjz9b8

This clip sucks and looks SO boring, but am I the only person that thinks the Iron Man CGI armor is somehow MUCH worse in Infinity War?

I think its probably a few things: the armor in IW is much less plausible than the armor before it and maybe that breaks my brain, and the armor is IW is likely ALL CGI. The armor is this clip actually looks like real, honest to god practical metal, and I seem to remember that RDJ use to actual wear some physical pieces

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

This clip sucks and looks SO boring, but am I the only person that thinks the Iron Man CGI armor is somehow MUCH worse in Infinity War?

Nah, and the Spidey armor is also terrible, they should have at least given it the same texture as the Civil War/Homecoming version.

I think the physical suits Downey wore were more a frame of reference thing, I don't know that he ever had fully realized armor suits in the actual movies (maybe a flipped open hellemet and some shoulders for closeups tho?)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think there was at least one real suit because iirc someone stole it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I think there was at least one real suit because iirc someone stole it

I know there were real suits but I thought it was explained that they used those to understand the lighting and get the proper physical presence of Downey moving in a suit. But scenes of him actually on screen in a fully body shot were otherwise all CGI.

I may be way off tho, now that I realize my source is me half remembering it explained in a sfx video somewhere

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

I think its probably a few things: the armor in IW is much less plausible than the armor before it and maybe that breaks my brain, and the armor is IW is likely ALL CGI. The armor is this clip actually looks like real, honest to god practical metal, and I seem to remember that RDJ use to actual wear some physical pieces

there's definitely something to be said about good super robot designs having a tangible weight and strong shapes to them. i still haven't sat down and watched IW but from what i've seen it's definitely a regression from earlier suits

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

omg chael crash posted:

I think the turnaround is getting shorter on the movies, too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McCloud posted:

What do you mean? Don't you find Loki threatening the way he got sassed by an old man and then chumped by captain america cosplayer?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oesqLjz9b8

Just for fairness sake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_N4lCmgKTA

My favourite part of the Loki sequence is how the one shot choice that makes any real sense is the low angle shot of Loki transforming, because it's exactly how you're taught to show someone as powerful in film school (right before they show you the post election shot from Citizen Kane that subverts this)

And holy poo poo that announcement scene is great. It's really otherworldly. It reminds me of the dream sequence in 'Prince of Darkness'

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

vs.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like 60% of the shots in the movie are exactly that - directly head on, center framed mid shots. It's a baffling choice.

I think we talked about this before, but it's like it's aping a Wes Anderson film

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think the ragnarok shot is good but for basically exactly the opposite reason it'd be posted by a twitter like One Perfect Shot.

it's a very deliberately undersold reaction shot that fits waititi's dry humour. these people are in the middle of a very swelling speech about hope and rebirth, then surtr fuckin' mercs asgard and it's just a quiet "oh. never mind, then."

ragnarok is probably the best mcu film just on the weight that it has a recognisable direction at all, even if it's wonky and still probably waititi's worst film.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Watching that Loki clip it's crazy how much they fail to sell the idea that a crowd of people should instinctively kneel to him. Are they that stunned by him flipping a car over?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
#carlivesmatter in the mcu

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Watching that Loki clip it's crazy how much they fail to sell the idea that a crowd of people should instinctively kneel to him. Are they that stunned by him flipping a car over?

I think that sequence might actually have been the subject of the first movie fight on here. Or, at least, SMG used it as an example of how badly composed it is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

there's definitely something to be said about good super robot designs having a tangible weight and strong shapes to them. i still haven't sat down and watched IW but from what i've seen it's definitely a regression from earlier suits

Mark I was the best suit, and best sequence, for this reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ungulateman posted:

i think the ragnarok shot is good but for basically exactly the opposite reason it'd be posted by a twitter like One Perfect Shot.

it's a very deliberately undersold reaction shot that fits waititi's dry humour. these people are in the middle of a very swelling speech about hope and rebirth, then surtr fuckin' mercs asgard and it's just a quiet "oh. never mind, then."

ragnarok is probably the best mcu film just on the weight that it has a recognisable direction at all, even if it's wonky and still probably waititi's worst film.

Right, it works for what the joke is but the problem is that the rest of the film is a bunch of similar Office-style deadpan mugging at the camera jokes. It has a style but that style is "movie to have on while you do chores".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Snowman_McK posted:

I think that sequence might actually have been the subject of the first movie fight on here. Or, at least, SMG used it as an example of how badly composed it is.

It was definitely used as an example.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Anyone got a link to the SMG breakdown of that scene or whatever?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Speaking of bad images.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yo that shot of the Acura is burned in my mind. It is so loving horrible lmao

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Speaking of bad images.

"Jim knows how to use photoshop, right?"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Speaking of bad images.

this has gotta be some fan mock-up

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Speaking of bad images.

Play Now My Lord

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I had to google that to check if it was real, yikes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's nice to see the recent Power Ranger's movie get a sequel.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Yo that shot of the Acura is burned in my mind. It is so loving horrible lmao

Every time I see that image I'm surprised all over again that that car is not, like, the car that drove the Avengers there, or at least drove someone somewhere in the actual movie. But it's not. It's just some random car on the street.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think I post it every time the "Avengers" and "cars" are mentioned together, but gently caress it.

This is, without a doubt, the funniest thing in any Avengers film:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Were Capt Marvel/Finny War 2 Endgame shot in 3D or 2D imax? My local imax is a sweet laser theatre, but the post-production 3d still sucks and is blurry without much bang for buck on the 3d front. Dn't want to get 3d when it isn't offering much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fart City posted:

He has a line about “being forced to watch over the thing I desire the most, but never able to obtain” (paraphrasing). There’s definitely a kind of existential torture being enforced on him.
An actual legitimately cool thing about Infinity War is that it features the defeated villains of the Avengers basically telling Thanos that his hubris won't work out for him in the end. Loki hints at this when he gets pretty close to quoting Tony Stark's speech from the first film and Red Skull is meant to be a cautionary tale.