Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stryder posted:

I know I'm perpetually behind the times in this thread and I originally wanted to talk about Hereditary. However, after revisiting the extremely goofy Terrorvision on Amazon Prime, I want to talk about how the hell is Charles Band so prolific? And why are there so many sequels to Evil Bong??

We have an official thread ambassador for the Evil Bong series so I think we should wait for him to address this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

We have an official thread ambassador for the Evil Bong series so I think we should wait for him to address this issue.

I was hoping he would chime in. But seriously, looking at the Full Moon wiki page:
Evil Bong (2006)
Evil Bong 2: King Bong (2009)
Evil Bong 3D: The Wrath of Bong (2011)
Gingerdead Man vs. Evil Bong (2013)
Evil Bong 4:20 (2015)
Evil Bong: High 5 (2016)
Evil Bong 666 (2017)
Evil Bong 777 (2018)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Why the gently caress WOULDNT there be sequels? Theres a million NOES sequels and Ft13th sequels, and EB is vastly superior to all of those. I don't know why there's not MORE sequels tbh

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Why the gently caress WOULDNT there be sequels? Theres a million NOES sequels and Ft13th sequels, and EB is vastly superior to all of those. I don't know why there's not MORE sequels tbh

Evil Bong 8 All The Doritos But Still Hungry

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Child's Play trailer leaked.
https://twitter.com/wolfiecharliee/status/1093622746720886784

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

already deleted

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched it. Not much to go on and they didn't show what Chucky looks like exactly. I'm biased against it, I admit, but nothing in the trailer won me over.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Stryder posted:

I was hoping he would chime in. But seriously, looking at the Full Moon wiki page:
Evil Bong (2006)
Evil Bong 2: King Bong (2009)
Evil Bong 3D: The Wrath of Bong (2011)
Gingerdead Man vs. Evil Bong (2013)
Evil Bong 4:20 (2015)
Evil Bong: High 5 (2016)
Evil Bong 666 (2017)
Evil Bong 777 (2018)

Psh. One a year at most. Better step up his game before the Bad Ben guy surpasses him. At his current rate, someone will be able to do the October horror challenge next year by watching 31 of the 46 Bad Ben movies.

Edit: it'll be me. I'll be watching all the Bad Ben movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

That Bad Ben guy had a dream and he has realized it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm slightly behind on my Bad Ben lore, but did anything ever get more bonkers than the Jersey Devil doing a rape?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

already deleted

here's another

https://twitter.com/IClethen/status/1093619858309140480

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Kingdom is good and looks awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like the look of the Child's Play trailer (or what I can see of it in cam footage) other than some Saw looking trap Aubrey Plaza is in at the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1093696315542904833

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just checked out a terribly named film on Amazon Prime called Big Legend, being that the title doesn't tell you poo poo there's a picture of Big Foot on the cover. Anyway it's about a guy who's wife get abducted/murdered by "something." His mom (Adrienne Barbeau) gives him a lovely speech about who he is and that he won't be satisfied until he finds out what happened. He sets off and meets some other dude in the woods and they try and survive and kill Big Foot.

This whole thing sounds like B movie schlock but it's actually really well done, especially the colors and scenery. There's some good shot in here too. The film itself doesn't do anything new but drat it was pretty to look at, but I'm a sucker for well-shot nature. I definitely recommend it.

However, it's really strange, because the whole film is played straight and it really is solid but at the end the lead is visited by Lance Henrikson and his assistant, like some Nick Fury poo poo, and he tells him that "We're part of an organization uncovering the truth." Or something to that extent and presents him with his wife's wedding ring? Then it cuts and goes "So and so will return..." just like a Marvel Film. If this pans out into some sort of weird rear end Avengers meets X-Files horror-verse I'm down as gently caress.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

Looking at that list though, is it really true that the Evil Bong and Demonic Toys never met? :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Jus make the film yourself I doubt any of those have copyrights or trademarks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

Oh poo poo, looks like our dreams have finally come true, we can be the proud owners of a Tom Atkins action figure!

https://mailchi.mp/shoutfactory/nightofthecreeps_deluxewithfigure_feb2019?e=f52ea8bae6

They just keep making these stupid things and I'll probably keep buying 'em.

Fart City posted:

Just make sure he doesn’t get within 700 feet of Skipper.

Oh don't worry, he'll ask if she's 18... after

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Looking at that list though, is it really true that the Evil Bong and Demonic Toys never met? :(

It's true, although I cherrypicked the Evil Bong films out of the Full Moon timeline. It does seem like Charles Band has a very specific fear of small things coming to kill him, though. In addition to the Puppetmaster and Demonic Toys movies, there's Ghoulies, Dolls, Dollman, Subspecies, Blood Dolls, Doll Graveyard, Skull Heads, DevilDolls, Ooga Booga, Gingerdead Man, and of course... The Creeps, starring actual little people as tiny versions of the Universal monsters.

I think having my high school years line up pretty much with the founding of Full Moon is the cause of a lot of nostalgia for this stuff. Similarly, having an older cousin who owned a convenience store that rented videos in the 80s started my love for the Empire years.

It's fascinating to me to see the drop in quality between the time that Band turned Empire into Full Moon. That's not to say every Empire movie's a winner, but there were at least quite a few that I even remember being in theaters. And, y'know... From Beyond and Re-Animator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_International_Pictures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Full_Moon_Features_productions

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched a bunch of Full Moon movies this past year for one of the challenges and I have to say they are a lot of fun. You have to be in the right mood for it but I'm definitely glad Full Moon has been doing it's thing all these years. They all seem to have this unapologetic love for the b-movie genre in them, which you can just kinda feel, and that is very often lacking in low budget stuff from more recent years.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I watched a bunch of Full Moon movies this past year for one of the challenges and I have to say they are a lot of fun. You have to be in the right mood for it but I'm definitely glad Full Moon has been doing it's thing all these years. They all seem to have this unapologetic love for the b-movie genre in them, which you can just kinda feel, and that is very often lacking in low budget stuff from more recent years.

That's what's always drawn me to b-movies in general, from Corman to Kaufman to Band... There's a certain amount of hucksterism involved but there also seems to be a genuine love of entertaining people.

Also... WOW, that's a hell of a thread name change.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Puppet Master series may not be the best ever but they had some truly unsettling things in some of them.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Not available in my location but here's another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lCpB_RLaM

How fuckin old are we that Aubrey Plaza has to play the mom now instead of the monster in a horror film

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

How fuckin old are we that Aubrey Plaza has to play the mom now instead of the monster in a horror film

She's actually only like 3 years younger than Catherine Hicks was in the original Child's Play. I think part of it is that Plaza is just always going to look 10 years younger than she actually is, when she was first on the scene in like 2008 she was in her mid 20's.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Full Moon's a lot like Troma in that way of when you're having a particular viewing itch, they're the only thing that satisfies. I've loved Full Moon films since the beginning, but then I'm also biased since each time I've met Charles Band we end up nerding out over Lovecraft horror.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Argue posted:

Dude just show the doll. Like what are we even doing here

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

Full Moon's a lot like Troma in that way of when you're having a particular viewing itch, they're the only thing that satisfies. I've loved Full Moon films since the beginning, but then I'm also biased since each time I've met Charles Band we end up nerding out over Lovecraft horror.

Troma is art but it's the kind of art a crazy person makes set their own bodily fluids and poo poo

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Stryder posted:

It's true, although I cherrypicked the Evil Bong films out of the Full Moon timeline. It does seem like Charles Band has a very specific fear of small things coming to kill him, though. In addition to the Puppetmaster and Demonic Toys movies, there's Ghoulies, Dolls, Dollman, Subspecies, Blood Dolls, Doll Graveyard, Skull Heads, DevilDolls, Ooga Booga, Gingerdead Man, and of course... The Creeps, starring actual little people as tiny versions of the Universal monsters.

I think having my high school years line up pretty much with the founding of Full Moon is the cause of a lot of nostalgia for this stuff. Similarly, having an older cousin who owned a convenience store that rented videos in the 80s started my love for the Empire years.

It's fascinating to me to see the drop in quality between the time that Band turned Empire into Full Moon. That's not to say every Empire movie's a winner, but there were at least quite a few that I even remember being in theaters. And, y'know... From Beyond and Re-Animator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_International_Pictures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Full_Moon_Features_productions

I always assumed it was less a fear of small things and more a realization that little monsters are budget-friendly, but I like your theory better.

Full Moon movies started showing up in my tiny rural video store around the same time I was getting more into horror, so for me they were part of figuring out that the genre had more to it than the big-name stuff that played the little theater nearby. A couple of years later I was working in video stores and would borrow all their new releases as soon as they came in. One of my longest-running friendships kicked off partly because an acquaintance and I started geeking out over Puppetmaster, and we still go watch the goofiest-looking horror movie we can find in the theater whenever it's girls' night.

Right now I'm planning a Subspecies/Vampire Journals rewatch. Those movies take such a sharp turn between the first and second that it's tricky to recommend to people though. The original has some great scenes and is a big nostalgic fave, but the sequels get a lot more interesting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Dude just show the doll. Like what are we even doing here

If they show the doll then there's a good chance fans don't like it and then there's backlash with no realistic way to go back and change it. Better to keep it a secret and let people only find out that it's bad right before release so negative hype can't spread as far.

Look at what happened to Alita, they had to go back and spend a poo poo ton of money to correct it based on fan complaints.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

Look at what happened to Alita, they had to go back and spend a poo poo ton of money to correct it based on fan complaints.

They did this? I only ever saw one trailer for it in theaters and never saw anything else. What did they change?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

Jesus Christ

I find it kind of sad that Andy is like

He's what 12 here? Fucker was 8 at most in the first movie. I think 6? That's part of what makes it work so well. The younger Andy is, the more of a threat Chucky is. Chucky basically does not work as a physical threat to anyone that is above the age of ten unless they're disabled in some way or he has the element of surprise.

Even six year old Andy in the first Child's Play kicked his rear end head to head.

"This is the end, friend!"

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
yeah, you're right, this kid is 6 years older than in the original.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Burkion posted:

Jesus Christ

I find it kind of sad that Andy is like

He's what 12 here? Fucker was 8 at most in the first movie. I think 6? That's part of what makes it work so well. The younger Andy is, the more of a threat Chucky is. Chucky basically does not work as a physical threat to anyone that is above the age of ten unless they're disabled in some way or he has the element of surprise.

Even six year old Andy in the first Child's Play kicked his rear end head to head.

"This is the end, friend!"

My favorite moment in the entire Child's Play franchise is when Andy lands that haymaker on Chucky after being tied to his bed in Child's Play 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

They did this? I only ever saw one trailer for it in theaters and never saw anything else. What did they change?

They made her eyes a little less gigantic, that's basically it. But she's the main character, basically in every scene.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The Isle, is it good? For frame of reference I loved the VVVVVVVitch, which people mention in comparison.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

They made her eyes a little less gigantic, that's basically it. But she's the main character, basically in every scene.

It’s loving wild that they embiggened an actors eyes to begin with.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

Just like my Japanese animes.

That movie was gonna be Garbo the second it wasn't practical effects

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alita is a good movie and the eyes should've been bigger.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

It made me think of a manga I flipped through once where a woman has a crush on an actor who's really into anime and she has surgery done to make herself more animelike to appeal to him and at the end after having several surgeries, she's like an anime version of a grey alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pomp posted:

That movie was gonna be Garbo the second it wasn't practical effects

This is a stupid hill to die on period and it's a really stupid hill to die on re: an adaptation of a story full of snake-spine cyborgs and brains and eyeballs flying out of their sockets and poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 8, 2019