Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I, Butthole posted:

I think the Ikea Billy is still the most flexible. IkeaHacks also had a good idea for double layering bluray cases on there with a small riser, which is what I'm planning on doing when I next move. I've currently got the precursor to the current Kallax which are record shelves, but they're chunky and not very effective, space wise.

I'd be interested in seeing this hack, I haven't replaced my old tower that collapsed on Thanksgiving yet. It used to house both my movies and CDs, but became too packed and my CDs are still mostly boxed up in my closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd be interested in seeing this hack, I haven't replaced my old tower that collapsed on Thanksgiving yet. It used to house both my movies and CDs, but became too packed and my CDs are still mostly boxed up in my closet.

I'll track it down when I finish work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
ed: Beat me to it

I, Butthole posted:

I think the Ikea Billy is still the most flexible. IkeaHacks also had a good idea for double layering bluray cases on there with a small riser, which is what I'm planning on doing when I next move.

Do you have a link for this? I’ve got all my stuff on two full-size Billys and one half-size, and I’m desperately out of room.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout are doing a collectors edition of Night of the Creeps in May.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Iron Crowned posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do you have a link for this? I’ve got all my stuff on two full-size Billys and one half-size, and I’m desperately out of room.

This is the main one, they had one for DVDs but the article I found didn't have pictures on it: https://www.ikeahackers.net/2016/04/billy-glis-boxes-tiered-bookshelf.html

There's also this to consider doing as well if you're going to double load 'em: https://www.ikeahackers.net/2016/04/easy-shelf-reinforcement-billy-shelves.html

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I'm currently using a couple of these shelves for my Blus.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxsteel-Steel-Shelving-BluRay-Silver/dp/B000A0FXCK

Though I'm going to do the unthinkable and move to Discsox for my DVDs. They just take up too much room.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I was thinking about getting those bins you can slide under a bed for my movies because I have entirely too much poo poo that needs to be on a shelf and blu-rays and DVDs are taking up too much of that real estate.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

mallratcal posted:

I'm currently using a couple of these shelves for my Blus.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxsteel-Steel-Shelving-BluRay-Silver/dp/B000A0FXCK

Though I'm going to do the unthinkable and move to Discsox for my DVDs. They just take up too much room.

Someone gave this a negative review because they have to drill a hole into thier drywall to anchor it. How else would you anchor it? Lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The disc binder was funny but now I'm triggered. I'm dry heaving in the corner while everyone stares at me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

The disc binder was funny but now I'm triggered. I'm dry heaving in the corner while everyone stares at me.
Same. My OCD can't handle that at all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Scream Factory's problem is that they're always stuck with whatever the studio gives them and rarely ever does new masters but goddamn I need a Tom Atkins action figure in my life.

If only it were Dan Challis, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just bought a new car so I don't really want to blow money on stuff, but that looks soooooo much better than the old Blu.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Scream Factory's problem is that they're always stuck with whatever the studio gives them and rarely ever does new masters but goddamn I need a Tom Atkins action figure in my life.

If only it were Dan Challis, though.

Sometimes people will just sell the figure by itself on ebay for around 30 -35 bucks which is what that line of figures from Neca goes for without the movies.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

This is good, I like the commitment to efficiency. It's probably worth it though to give up just a little more space for how much more convenient it is to page through a nice binder.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FancyMike posted:

This is good, I like the commitment to efficiency. It's probably worth it though to give up just a little more space for how much more convenient it is to page through a nice binder.

4/10, no Last Year at Marienbad

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FancyMike posted:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FancyMike posted:

Next time could you please link the image and use a :nms: tag?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The nice thing about binders is you can usually jam a second disc behind the first one if you try hard enough.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The nice thing about binders is you can usually jam a second disc behind the first one if you try hard enough.

Reading this post is like biting aluminum foil.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

EL BROMANCE posted:

Why are you doing this to us?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FancyMike posted:

That just makes me wonder what ordering system you use since it's clearly not alphabetic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t know that my setup is any better; my movies right now are confined to one section of a 2x2 IKEA Expedit. Three deep with a bunch stacked horizontally on top as well. I haven’t even dealt with the DVDs that I’ve upgraded to Blu-Rays; pretty sure there’s Blade Runner in three formats in there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

I haven’t even dealt with the DVDs that I’ve upgraded to Blu-Rays; pretty sure there’s Blade Runner in three formats in there.

I don't really know what to do with my double dips yet. I've only got a few right now, and it's not like there's anything special about most of these DVDs, but as more things get the UHD treatment it's going to pile up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FancyMike posted:

Using that lower left one like a trash can, I see

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it makes people feel better, my meager collection these days are all in their cases and in shelving/drawers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't really know what to do with my double dips yet. I've only got a few right now, and it's not like there's anything special about most of these DVDs, but as more things get the UHD treatment it's going to pile up.

I just have a giant plastic tub that I toss old DVD/blus into when they become redundant. Basically I know that I could toss that tub in the dumpster and not really "lose" anything, but at the same time I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet on getting rid of it all. But there's definitely no need for all that stuff to actually be up on a shelf.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

Basebf555 posted:

I just have a giant plastic tub that I toss old DVD/blus into when they become redundant. Basically I know that I could toss that tub in the dumpster and not really "lose" anything, but at the same time I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet on getting rid of it all. But there's definitely no need for all that stuff to actually be up on a shelf.

Yeah, the problem is that DVDs are worth so little I’m not sure it’s worth the effort trying to sell them online. I should probably spend some time to do the math on how much I could really get out of them and just dump them at Goodwill if it’s not worth it, but even that takes effort.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I had to leave my house temporarily during the California wildfires over a year ago and let me say since then I have found a new appreciation for the digital codes that often come with Blu-rays, but also a binder is looking good to me now.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

That just makes me wonder what ordering system you use since it's clearly not alphabetic.

Is it not obvious? Clearly that page is the oop Criterion and French Auteur section.

TheScott2K posted:

Using that lower left one like a trash can, I see

I only watch Serious Films and I only play Serious Games

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

Chronological? Not alphabetical...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vagabundo posted:

Why are you doing this to us?

Only just saw your avatar, looked like a nice win over France on the weekend. It seems every time the 6 Nations rolls around, the universe finds new ways to stop me watching the glorious boyos in red.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I've just been giving mine to friends who like but don't own the movies in question.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've just been giving mine to friends who like but don't own the movies in question.

This is also what I’ve been doing. Unless it’s a Criterion or some OOP Doctor Who dvd, it’s basically impossible to sell a dvd for more than $2 anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nPT64U6X40

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Consider public resources like libraries, shelters, etc. Those places can still use DVDs I’m sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've posted it before in this thread, but just use these instead of those binder bags:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JR2V7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With blurays you can fold right along the spine where a crease is already, and have the side show right on front. DVDs you do have to fold in the middle of the spine however. I reduced my entire DVD and bluray collection to about 7 boxes, because I was sick of looking at them all the time in my living room.