Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I don't have the sort of collection that would require those sorts of shelves, but I keep all my Blu-rays in a big record cabinet. Unless you're an uber-dork who just has to see all those spines staring back at them 24/7, there's no need to have them out in the open. Get something with doors or drawers and you get an attractive solution with just a few seconds of extra effort when you go to grab a Blu.

Exactly. Just put them spine up in some drawers. I don't think people are really that impressed by huge movie collections like they were back in the peak DVD days of like 2005. Not since most every movie ever is available to watch on demand in seconds. I've cut my collection by more than half, and I see my Billy bookcases holding them on display as more of an eye sore these days, and a reminder of how much money I wasted on movies that I only ever watched once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Not since most every movie ever is available to watch on demand in seconds.

This is not even close to true. Even mainstream stuff can be unavailable streamed. Movies available today are gone tomorrow, and streaming has become a nightmare of all the different services if there's something specific you want to watch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nihonniboku posted:

Exactly. Just put them spine up in some drawers. I don't think people are really that impressed by huge movie collections like they were back in the peak DVD days of like 2005. Not since most every movie ever is available to watch on demand in seconds. I've cut my collection by more than half, and I see my Billy bookcases holding them on display as more of an eye sore these days, and a reminder of how much money I wasted on movies that I only ever watched once or twice.

Wow, you must be really fun at parties

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nihonniboku posted:

I wouldn't display movies if it was for other people, it's for me. I have a small apartment and so I'm not entertaining people there, the shelf is just for me to enjoy and be able to stand there and browse through based on my current mood.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
How does everyone organise theirs? Alphabetical order, chronological order, etc.?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

How does everyone organise theirs? Alphabetical order, chronological order, etc.?
Biographical

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vagabundo posted:

I go for alphabetical, but my roommate just puts things back willy-nilly. It's weird, because I'll notice that something is off but never be able to put my finger on it until I'm looking for something and Ghostbusters is filed under "Busters, Ghost."

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

I didn't have a system for my DVDs but I go alphabetical with my Blus.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

roygbiv color spectrum of the case spines.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vagabundo posted:

I once saw a dude with a giant collection who had a Jena Malone section

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IUG posted:

I've posted it before in this thread, but just use these instead of those binder bags:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JR2V7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With blurays you can fold right along the spine where a crease is already, and have the side show right on front. DVDs you do have to fold in the middle of the spine however. I reduced my entire DVD and bluray collection to about 7 boxes, because I was sick of looking at them all the time in my living room.

What do you use to store the sleeves? I have a bin I keep them in, but they keep falling over.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FancyMike posted:

This is not even close to true. Even mainstream stuff can be unavailable streamed. Movies available today are gone tomorrow, and streaming has become a nightmare of all the different services if there's something specific you want to watch.

Yeah, I understand. I still buy physical copies of movies that I wouldn't want to lose access to. I am posting in the physical media thread after all, and I've been following this thread for probably close to a decade now. I'm just saying that gone are the days where I buy every movie I ever liked, and I'm much more selective of my purchases.

Iron Crowned posted:

Wow, you must be really fun at parties

Yeah, you know the life of every party is absolutely the guy with the huge blu-ray collection!

Basebf555 posted:

I wouldn't display movies if it was for other people, it's for me. I have a small apartment and so I'm not entertaining people there, the shelf is just for me to enjoy and be able to stand there and browse through based on my current mood.

I was replying to the conversation about how so many media storage units out there on the market are simply an eye sore. I think a nicely organized drawer is more aesthetically pleasing than an Ikea bookcase (I have a Billy right now, and I've long been looking for a replacement). If having your collection openly on display sparks joy for you, then I wholeheartedly encourage you to do that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In all seriousness. Some amalgamation of genre, director, series order. I have the 2011 The Thing right after my Scream Factory Blu of the The Thing. Technically it should come first but whatever. It looks silly sitting in the middle of a bunch of steel cases but whatever.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My movies are generally sorted by genre, then sub genre, series, actor or director depending on what is appropriate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I organise mine by genre and sub genre (if I have enough films in a specific one), which is alphabetical. The war movies I own are placed in the order in which the conflict happened. Films in a series are placed in their own smaller shelves, there’s a Batman-specific section and I have an area for auteurs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boinks posted:

My movies are generally sorted by genre, then sub genre, series, actor or director depending on what is appropriate.

:same:

Although I have my Criterions and Arrows in their own separate sections

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How do you even manage sorting them by genre?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Iron Crowned posted:

Action, Sci-Fi, Horror, Comedy, Drama, Western, Animated, Cult. Nearly everything falls into one of those categories and I just guess on the ones that don’t.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

If the genre fits there then that's where it goes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Action, Sci-Fi, Horror, Comedy, Drama, Western, Animated, Cult. Nearly everything falls into one of those categories and I just guess on the ones that don’t.

I've tried this and I guess some weird movie focused version of OCD prevents me from being able to maintain it. There's always just too many that straddle two or three categories at once and I feel like whatever I do it can never be fully consistent. Like, if Alien is sci-fi, does that mean Event Horizon is too? I have a hard time making arbitrary decisions like that, I need something more defined like alphabetical or by director.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I've tried this and I guess some weird movie focused version of OCD prevents me from being able to maintain it. There's always just too many that straddle two or three categories at once and I feel like whatever I do it can never be fully consistent. Like, if Alien is sci-fi, does that mean Event Horizon is too? I have a hard time making arbitrary decisions like that, I need something more defined like alphabetical or by director.

Yeah, in those cases I put the focus on which genre, in my opinion, was the best fit. Case in point, I've placed Dark City and Minority Report in my Noir section, and An American Werewolf in London under Comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, in those cases I put the focus on which genre, in my opinion, was the best fit. Case in point, I've placed Dark City and Minority Report in my Noir section, and An American Werewolf in London under Comedy.

Yea see poo poo like that just annoys the hell out of me and I cant really explain why.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This is why you do your shelves alphabetically for easy retrieval then indicate genre in your spreadsheet with checkboxes for each genre you want to track.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Shelves must be alpha numeric or nothing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve tried alphabetical before and it just involves too much shuffling when you buy new stuff. Genres are easier because I can just leave big gaps on the end of each to accommodate new purchases.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rather than leave a big gap at the end of each genre section you can just leave a little gap on each shelf. At least, that works fine for me and I only have to do a big shuffle when I need to buy a new bookcase anyways.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What do you use to store the sleeves? I have a bin I keep them in, but they keep falling over.

I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EFJY3U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's okay, maybe not as strongly made as I wanted. I use the same for my CD collection (which I also put everything other than the jewel case in a sleeve), and one of them broke for the divider, which doesn't really matter seeing as I have CDs on either side of it to keep in place, but they work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IUG posted:

I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EFJY3U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's okay, maybe not as strongly made as I wanted. I use the same for my CD collection (which I also put everything other than the jewel case in a sleeve), and one of them broke for the divider, which doesn't really matter seeing as I have CDs on either side of it to keep in place, but they work.

Thanks!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Kodiak posted:

Rather than leave a big gap at the end of each genre section you can just leave a little gap on each shelf. At least, that works fine for me and I only have to do a big shuffle when I need to buy a new bookcase anyways.

I alphabetized it, then spread the free space around. All the shuffling was up front, until I ran out of space.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I like reshuffling, I find it relaxing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mallratcal posted:

I like reshuffling, I find it relaxing.

:same: but for sorting in general

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

:same: but for sorting in general

:):respek::) Nothing wrong with keeping things orderly.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Remember that new restoration of Dawn of the Dead that Second Sight are doing? It’s coming to 4K. Rejoice!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Remember that new restoration of Dawn of the Dead that Second Sight are doing? It’s coming to 4K. Rejoice!

Do you mean it's going to be in theaters?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Do you mean it's going to be in theaters?

Maybe in the UK. Sorry about being a bit vague, but Second Sight is based in the UK explaining how they got the rights. I would love to see this get a proper release in the US, but importing a 4K disc is good enough for me.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Anyone who doesn't do alphanumeric order is insane. Even Criterion sorting by spine number is stupid. Unless you're a DDS fanatic there's really not going to be a better way of sorting once you hit a certain quantity.

Also, alphanumeric of the same title goes chronologically, so The Thing (82) and The Thing (11) is correct.

Some of you needs deserve binders, jesus christ

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Also, alphanumeric of the same title goes chronologically, so The Thing (82) and The Thing (11) is correct.

The correct thing is of course not owning the latter Thing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm ok with sorting alpha numerically but not case mixing. Blus and DVD are separate but equal in my house.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

I'm ok with sorting alpha numerically but not case mixing. Blus and DVD are separate but equal in my house.

Don't be such a caseist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah alphabetical order is the only thing that makes sense to me. I have a separate section for box sets but that's alphabetical too, by title of the set or name of the actor/director. Only thing I can't make up my mind on is whether to put films from the same series together even if their titles are pretty different. Like, should I put Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes together? They're not currently but it's kind of bothering me!