Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
HP LJ 1015 was a hell of a printer back in the day. Bullet proof little guy. Must have had 200K+ pages go through it per year. All original parts (aside from toner) for the 7 years it was in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hrm I don't agree with the printers only useful for scanners thing. Printers are not good scanners. Good scanners are good scanners.

Specifically, the Fujitsu ScanSnap series, which as someone who scans 99% of their paper documents and then shreds them, are a loving godsend for easily scanning poo poo (especially with the presets for splitting to multiple pages, scanning simplex or duplex / BW / color so I can take a shitload of simplex black and white one-page receipts like grocery store receipts, set them all into the scanner, and have it spit out individual PDFs for each one).

Of course some would argue why bother to scan any of that poo poo, but on the other hand, shut up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There is no such thing as a good scanner either. Only bad and less bad. TWAIN drivers are often worse than printers. Evil lies everywhere paper and computers interact, especially if some rear end in a top hat has decided to involve a modem as well and make a fax machine out of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best scanner is one that dumps a PDF onto a network share and talks a modern version of SMB, supports DFS etc.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Of course some would argue why bother to scan any of that poo poo, but on the other hand, shut up.

Well because I scanned that poo poo as you put it, my mattress warranty was honoured and I'm getting a new one.

I'll sleep my way comfortably into each day closer to death.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a vendor called me back

Me: your applications internal web interface isn't working .
Vendor: you need to install asp.net 4.6
Me: it's not in your instructions
Vendor : we thought everyone installed it by default

Thanks for that ....

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

The best scanner is one that dumps a PDF onto a network share and talks a modern version of SMB, supports DFS etc.

Our Ricoh MP 3004 only allows you to scan to a network share using SMB v1. :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I never said it was a product that existed :). The amount of stuff released in 2015 that won't do anything other than SMB1 is amazing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

wolrah posted:

There is no such thing as a good scanner either. Only bad and less bad. TWAIN drivers are often worse than printers. Evil lies everywhere paper and computers interact, especially if some rear end in a top hat has decided to involve a modem as well and make a fax machine out of it.

I’ve long since stopped being surprised at how many businesses still live and die by their damned FAX machines. The worst though is when they have the fax line running through their PBX or over a SIP trunk just to add layers of things which could go wrong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Entropic posted:

I’ve long since stopped being surprised at how many businesses still live and die by their damned FAX machines. The worst though is when they have the fax line running through their PBX or over a SIP trunk just to add layers of things which could go wrong.

Oh trust me, I know. My day job is with a MSP that does VoIP for small-medium businesses and any time someone calls about a fax issue I die a bit inside.

I have said many times that I'd give all my worldly possessions to someone who managed to develop a self-replicating fax worm that could just destroy every fax machine in the world. Obviously that's unfortunately technically impossible, but a man can dream can't he? I'd be penniless but more at peace than Buddha to know I'd never have to hear about that poo poo again.

The only way it's going to change is if the regulatory world finally admits that faxes are not secure in the slightest, rather than their current legal fiction that pretends an analog telephone line is perfectly private. The medical and legal industries in particular love faxes because they're nonsensically treated as secure so they're less effort than actually doing it right.

edit: If I put on my company logo hat and shirt, clip my lineman's handset to my belt, and carry a clipboard I can get in to pretty much any telephone room in the English-speaking world. From there it'd take me about 45 seconds to hook up some off the shelf hardware and be able to intercept faxes to my laptop in real time, even modifying them if I put it on a bit of a delay. Even the simplest forms of encrypted email are orders of magnitude more secure than that.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 8, 2019

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Our new wifi pre shared key is WPA2 personal and it is 63 characters long with every possible special character category turned on. And it's time to migrate the iPod touches that the custodial staff use.

No we don't have mobile device management, what kind of large regional hospital owned by a nationwide conglomerate do you think we are?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Muffinlord posted:

Our new wifi pre shared key is WPA2 personal and it is 63 characters long with every possible special character category turned on. And it's time to migrate the iPod touches that the custodial staff use.

No we don't have mobile device management, what kind of large regional hospital owned by a nationwide conglomerate do you think we are?
Do iPod Touches have cameras? If so, let me introduce you to the WiFi QR code: https://qifi.org/

iOS native camera app has supported these since iOS 11, if they're older then there are a few other QR code apps that understand the wifi code format.

This allowed me to finally go max password on my guest WiFi at home because anyone can just point their phone at the code and be online in a few seconds.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If they’re on the right version of IOS you can generate a QR code that the camera app will read and create the WiFi profile.

E;f;b

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For what it's worth, I just discovered that the Android Camera on my Pixel 2 works with these codes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

wolrah posted:

Do iPod Touches have cameras? If so, let me introduce you to the WiFi QR code: https://qifi.org/

iOS native camera app has supported these since iOS 11, if they're older then there are a few other QR code apps that understand the wifi code format.

This allowed me to finally go max password on my guest WiFi at home because anyone can just point their phone at the code and be online in a few seconds.

That's pretty god drat slick.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Fool posted:

For what it's worth, I just discovered that the Android Camera on my Pixel 2 works with these codes.

Likewise. Holy poo poo that's cool as heck.

Gonna have to get one of those printed ahead of the next game night that gets hosted at my place.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wolrah posted:

.The only way it's going to change is if the regulatory world finally admits that faxes are not secure in the slightest, rather than their current legal fiction that pretends an analog telephone line is perfectly private. The medical and legal industries in particular love faxes because they're nonsensically treated as secure so they're less effort than actually doing it right.
My near-retirement mother works in the accounts department of a hospital and somehow figured out by herself that using fax machines for patient data is a GDPR breach. She instead walks a hardcopy to where the person demanding the fax is and then gives them poo poo for being worse at tech than her.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A feature(?) of WiFi QR codes in iOS is that it will shove the connection into your keychain even if it couldn’t connect. I was testing the codes out away from the site that the SSID was for, pointed my phone at my monitor to test it got picked up correctly, tapped the button to join and then got an error because I wasn’t in range of the network.

Went to the site a few weeks later and my phone connected to the network, which took me a while to figure out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

A feature(?) of WiFi QR codes in iOS is that it will shove the connection into your keychain even if it couldn’t connect. I was testing the codes out away from the site that the SSID was for, pointed my phone at my monitor to test it got picked up correctly, tapped the button to join and then got an error because I wasn’t in range of the network.

Went to the site a few weeks later and my phone connected to the network, which took me a while to figure out.
Holy poo poo that's abusable.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

Uhhh, we may work for the same company! Did your nationwide conglomerate recently change their name and then change the names of all their hospitals to more closely reflect that name?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

wolrah posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. I gotta get the approval of the network guy running this whole shitshow but you might have just kept me from smashing these loving things.

mattfl posted:

Uhhh, we may work for the same company! Did your nationwide conglomerate recently change their name and then change the names of all their hospitals to more closely reflect that name?

No, mine is based out of Tennessee and likes to demand policy changes without providing us the support we need to actually affect those changes. Our hospital did recently change names slightly, though!

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 8, 2019

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm a big dipshit who double posts, please ignore me

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Law firms are the worst for faxing, especially law firms in rural areas with clients like rail roads and poo poo. Troubleshooting an aging fax on a fully digital phone system is still one of my nightmares.

They're also one of the few industries where WordPerfect is still a thing (at least it was circa 2010-2011), but are probably too cheap to buy licenses for every employee on the law-dog side, meaning have fun being the on demand WordPerfect conversion bitch any time documents come in!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Law firms are the worst for faxing, especially law firms in rural areas with clients like rail roads and poo poo. Troubleshooting an aging fax on a fully digital phone system is still one of my nightmares.

They're also one of the few industries where WordPerfect is still a thing (at least it was circa 2010-2011), but are probably too cheap to buy licenses for every employee on the law-dog side, meaning have fun being the on demand WordPerfect conversion bitch any time documents come in!
Greetings, former-law-firm-IT sibling. I dragged my firm kicking and screaming into Word from WordPerfect because having to convert everything we received or sent out was a huge pain in the rear end. This was TYOOL 2013.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. I gotta get the approval of the network guy running this whole shitshow but you might have just kept me from smashing these loving things.

No, mine is based out of Tennessee and likes to demand policy changes without providing us the support we need to actually affect those changes. Our hospital did recently change names slightly, though!

Ahh ok, we work for very similar hospital systems then :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In this day and age a digital phone system should be at least as reliable for faxing as the 1987-era digital phone system most fax machines were designed to run over. :colbert:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

wolrah posted:

Goddamn this is awesome.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

wolrah posted:

:eyepop:

I did not know this was a thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I likewise am glad to learn of this. Also: “Queefy”, :lol:.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
wow, a reason to actually scan a qr code

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised how many people itt weren't aware of the things. They've been around for ages I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I can see it at larger shops. For instance I’ve only ever dealt with infrastructure, when it came to *individual* clients (deployment, troubleshooting, support)... never touch them. Only AP, Controllers, and the wired infrastructure to support the APs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If cafes and bars put the QR code for their WiFi on their menus that would be super convenient.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I made and distribute little card with the guest wifi info on it, next batch I make is going to have a QR code.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

rafikki posted:

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised how many people itt weren't aware of the things. They've been around for ages I think.

I had our old WiFi passphrases memorized, so it wasn't a problem. But we have too much weird healthcare poo poo on our WiFi to use WPA2-enterprise, I suppose, so we gotta resort to this 63-character bullshit for now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm just going to throw this out there in case anyone has any ideas, but we've recently moved from HP Zbook G4s to Zbook G5s and it has been a complete clusterfuck that I cannot figure out. Our 1803 image behaves completely normally until the first time it's disconnected from the USB docks we use - at which point the WiFi hardware drops out like every five seconds - not just drops off WiFi, but the whole list of WiFi networks will disappear and a red X appears on it. This behaviour is then permanent.

After multiple rebuilds in various ways, installing all the latest drivers, the only things that seem to resolve it are installing the HP Software Assistant, which - even without being launched - will prevent the WiFi device from dropping off until the next reboot, at which point it goes back to constant drops.

I've got three of these things behaving in the exact same manner, and the only thing I can think of is that either they all got dropped in the same manner during shipping, or HP is booby-trapping these things to prevent imaging. It's driving me nuts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don’t have any answers for you but I have the same model zbooks and they work fine with my 1809 image but we use the old school side docks. We’ve had nothing but issues with usb docks so we got rid of them all. Are there any firmware updates for the docks?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Bless you for sharing this.
This is really awesome.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Ghostlight posted:

I'm just going to throw this out there in case anyone has any ideas, but we've recently moved from HP Zbook G4s to Zbook G5s and it has been a complete clusterfuck that I cannot figure out. Our 1803 image behaves completely normally until the first time it's disconnected from the USB docks we use - at which point the WiFi hardware drops out like every five seconds - not just drops off WiFi, but the whole list of WiFi networks will disappear and a red X appears on it. This behaviour is then permanent.

After multiple rebuilds in various ways, installing all the latest drivers, the only things that seem to resolve it are installing the HP Software Assistant, which - even without being launched - will prevent the WiFi device from dropping off until the next reboot, at which point it goes back to constant drops.

I've got three of these things behaving in the exact same manner, and the only thing I can think of is that either they all got dropped in the same manner during shipping, or HP is booby-trapping these things to prevent imaging. It's driving me nuts.

Sounds like it could be a dock firmware issue. I've never actually used the USB docks though, so I'm not 100% positive this is the fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sounds like it could be a dock firmware issue. I've never actually used the USB docks though, so I'm not 100% positive this is the fix.

Yeah this would be my guess, upgrade firmware on the docks, then plug a brand new machine in that hasn't been broken yet, see what happens.