Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
What's the earliest you can take on a fallen empire? I think a snowballing fanatic purifier could spam torpedo corvettes and fight them around 2250, but I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

scaterry posted:

What's the earliest you can take on a fallen empire? I think a snowballing fanatic purifier could spam torpedo corvettes and fight them around 2250, but I have no idea.

Depends on what your goal is. Conquering them is way harder than generating 10 salvage opportunities to end up with FE ship tech.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bobfly posted:

So, uh, is this game fun for a die-hard turtle like me yet? I really have no interest in wars, I just want to build a nice galactic republic. But Paradox games have historically focused on foreign, rather than domestic, policy.

Have you ever played Startopia? You're just managing a single space station, but it's all about domestic policies and living space management.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Depends on what your goal is. Conquering them is way harder than generating 10 salvage opportunities to end up with FE ship tech.

I don't think FE ship tech is much worth it, since the components cost dark matter and its hard to get that early. Can you salvage weapon tech?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Feedback: push the portal spawn event back a bit, it's always on my first colonised planet which is weird.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Jabarto posted:

This doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm on the test branch and the buildings work the same way as before.

Checks your mods, but also the building changes for those are only for machine and synth empires. Normal people don't get that benefit.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Splicer posted:

Feedback: push the portal spawn event back a bit, it's always on my first colonised planet which is weird.

yes please, I've started getting this event all the time (no obviously not all the time but it feels like it okay?) and I agree that it should chill out a bit. the physics research from the portal site jobs is nice though I guess but uh, yeah

ZypherIM posted:

Checks your mods, but also the building changes for those are only for machine and synth empires. Normal people don't get that benefit.

oh that's my bad, I've only played ME's since the latest beta patch because I was super excited my favorite empire type was once more good and only really skimmed the notes v:shobon:v

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Martout posted:

yes please, I've started getting this event all the time (no obviously not all the time but it feels like it okay?) and I agree that it should chill out a bit. the physics research from the portal site jobs is nice though I guess but uh, yeah
I'd be fine with it showing up in most or even all playthroughs but maybe prevent it spawning for the first few decades of until you have three full colonies to choose from or something.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

I don't think FE ship tech is much worth it, since the components cost dark matter and its hard to get that early. Can you salvage weapon tech?

You can salvage weapon tech, yes. Most of them will require crystals/motes/gases though. The only things you can salvage that won't require anything other than alloys are:
Jump Drives
Tachyon Sensors
Advanced Strike Craft
Sapient Combat Computers
Shield Boosters
Guardian Point-Defense
Flak Cannons

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

ZypherIM posted:

That's...a really weird change. Ah well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/Moah3/status/1093606389761626112 good change. Wonder if it means we can actually upgrade ship by ship or it just queues up jobs automatically for each ship, in which case, wonder if you can cancel select ship upgrades.
:ck5:

Bobfly posted:

So, uh, is this game fun for a die-hard turtle like me yet? I really have no interest in wars, I just want to build a nice galactic republic. But Paradox games have historically focused on foreign, rather than domestic, policy.
I have been meaning to try a Pacifist game with the new economic system to see how it goes - have you played since the Le Guin update that came with the Megacorp DLC at the beginning of December? It drastically changed how the game works in terms of economy and managing your empire.

Preston Waters posted:

Is it just me or is the early game now a giant piece of poo poo? I keep exiting to desktop but it just isn't fun anymore. Takes forever to get going. Maybe it's because I'm playing as the same ole thing all the time and idk?
We dont know either, can you give us more info about what the same ole thing is, what your roadblocks are, ect? Most people seem to like the changes, but it is acknowledged that it takes longer to ramp up with the new economic system.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love to turtle up in Stellaris, it's fine and playable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Turtling works fine. It's not as easy anymore IMO, and you now need at least 5-6 planets for your economy to keep up during the early game, but that's about it.

Turtle up, stay around your admin cap until ~100 years in, finish all the good research/unity unlocks, then do whatever because you've already won.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, I finally broke down and tried some smaller maps to see if the game runs faster, but I'm poo poo out of luck. Even on a map with only 50 stars, the game runs barely noticeably faster.

Welp, since I don't want to wait another couple months for the devs to make the game not run like poo poo, I guess I have to just suck it up and play Stellaris in ultra slow mode.

At least if the speed is independent from how large the map is, I guess I can carefully hope the speed won't go down a lot more in mid/late game, since the issue seems to be unrelated to whatever normally causes slowdowns. :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Libluini posted:

So, I finally broke down and tried some smaller maps to see if the game runs faster, but I'm poo poo out of luck. Even on a map with only 50 stars, the game runs barely noticeably faster.

Welp, since I don't want to wait another couple months for the devs to make the game not run like poo poo, I guess I have to just suck it up and play Stellaris in ultra slow mode.

At least if the speed is independent from how large the map is, I guess I can carefully hope the speed won't go down a lot more in mid/late game, since the issue seems to be unrelated to whatever normally causes slowdowns. :shrug:

RIP :(

I wonder what hardware weirdness is causing such unplayable performance but only for certain folks.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
A graphics issue maybe? I think there was some speculation that UI lag was a big factor in slowdown for some people. I think I've sometimes noticed the game runs faster in system view than galaxy view, but that could be confirmation bias (I've never actually timed it).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah it runs pretty well for me up until the late game on 2.2.5 with a 5 year old computer on an older GTX 770 and a haswell i7. Should probably post your specs in the forums, verify drivers and such and see if maybe somebody has a clue as to why it's sucking for you.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

On my 2017 Macbook it is still effectively unplayable by 2250. If I pause the game all the menus and so on are just as fast as ever, but if I try and click or do anything while the game is running it stutters very badly, planets or fleets take several seconds to pop up once they are selected, scrolling the map is extremely difficult because of how unresponsive it is, etc.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Steam Sale convinced me to purchase. Does anyone have recommendations for a newbie guide? I'm mostly looking for how fast I should be expanding, and what the "ideal" balance of resources is.

In other news, nice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Don't worry about going over the admin cap, you're supposed to. Increasing your admin cap is good, but don't worry about your sprawl going over it. It's an anti-snowball mechanic/progressive taxation metric, not a target.

Turn on Map the Stars in the edicts menu just before you start exploring. Whether you do a second run of it is up to you but the first run is an absolute no brainer.

Pop growth is king. Take the Expansion tree as your first tree. At game start save up 1000 food then set the pop growth decision going on your homeworld and turn on Nutritional Plenitude in Policies. New colonies have a 50% growth malus, when you start a new colony throw the immigration boost decision on it and/or resettle pops onto it to get it to 10 ASAP as then you can upgrade the main building to get rid of it. The only exceptions to the pop growth is king rules are a) colonies aren't worth putting the pop growth edict or gene clinics on until they ditch the 50% malus and b) very late game when your planets start getting overcrowded you'll probably want to slow that down.

More planets means more pop growth. The only penalty to low habitability is increased consumer goods usage. Planets are good.

You can never have enough alloys.

Turn off autodesign for ships, they don't make very good ships and autodesign can break the fleet manager. Slap a roughly equal mix of standard ballistics and standard lasers on each ship, then replace the lasers with plasma when you get it. This plus a few point defence e: AND SOME MISSILES mixed in will give you solid all rounder workhorse ships until you feel like getting fancy. Though fancy isn't much fancier tbh.

Use the market.

Don't drop below 0 amenities, but don't worry about stacking them too high. The happiness penalty for insufficient amenities is considerably higher than the benefit for excess. This happiness modifier is added or subtracted from your pops's existing happiness, with again the stability penalties for being below 50% happiness being much higher than the benefits for over 50% happiness. This stability modifier is then added to/subtracted from your planet's existing stability, with again penalties for being below 50% being higher than the benefits for being above 50%, capping out at a +30% resource bonus at 100% stability.

Gene Clinics aren't as good as they look, and definitely don't build any until you need your first amenity boost. They're fine, but they're definitely the exception to the pop growth is king mantra. It's definitely a user's choice between them and other amenity generators.

I can't think of any other immediate universal truths* or traps* that you won't get from the tutorial, everything else is pretty much do whatever and make your own mistakes and follow the tutorial and make the tutorial's mistakes and annoy the wrong people and get murdered by angry space men. There's definitely other advice I could give you but they all fall into the entertaining failure category.

*someone else can explain the war system

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 9, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I will point out that you are perfectly able to run all sorts of fleet setups. Especially if you're not on max difficulty. The biggest thing is that tech isn't a huge edge like a lot of other 4x games, the biggest increase in fleet power tends to be from just fielding more hulls.

There are 2 different caps: fleet cap, and naval cap (might be called something different). Fleet cap is how many dudes you can have in a single fleet, which isn't super important but lets you concentrate forces under 1 good leader, and you don't have to dig for good leaders as much. Fleet cap is a hard cap, and is pretty much only increased through tech (and some tradition/perk options).

Naval cap is how much tonnage you can field in total (each size increases in cost: 1,2,4,8). Naval cap is a soft cap, early on you can usually easily afford to go over if you need an edge. Later on the cost can be prohibitive. There are several ways to increase naval cap, from tech to civics to traditions to buildings to starbase modules. Civics and ethics are +% increases and work with everything, buildings are always a flat increase. The default anchorage (starbase module) and stronghold (planet building) give +4 naval cap. These can be improved to +6 through tech options, and which one is better tends to be really dependant on your current situation (the tradeoff is starbases have less competition for what you're using them for, but use alloys).

So if you upgraded 2 starbases and put anchorages on them you'd have +16 cap, and a soldier job from a stronghold would be another +4 for +20, letting you double your fleet size. There is a fairly early fleet size increase in the green tech tree for +30, so you'd be at 70 naval cap. If you get in a war with someone at 20, they're sort of screwed. If you get in a war with someone with 50 (the tech upgrade) you'll probably win a straight fight, and if you could lure them into fighting at one of your starbases you could really work them over.

The supremacy tradition tree isn't required, but if you plan on fighting you should look at taking it (and eventually you'll want it). It gives you a lot of discounts in terms of ship/starbase costs, as well as a +20% naval cap and +10% fire rate.

Make sure you check your policy/edict options occasionally, as new things can show up (f6/f7). Once you get factions (cased on your empire ethos), there are things you can do to make them happier, some of which are easy (not allowing AI as a spiritualist empire) and some are harder.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Trip report with new robits: Technicians are the bomb now. You start with +40 energy and no longer have to toe the line in the early and midgame in regards to making buildings over resource districts. You do need more alloys, but you can also afford to make way more of it. The mining station income boost is also huge in the early game. I don't want to say they're overpowered, because compared to Megacorps they're not, but good lord do they feel so much better to play.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Robots seem bananas good now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Extra space resources was a real smart move that makes in-game sense

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gort posted:

Don't you get completely eaten by the crisis when it shows up though

Nah. You have to do habitats and Gaia worlds asap though. Also do defense in depth on Citadels. Every one should be a 60k nightmare fortress by the time end game rolls around.

Bobfly posted:

Inward Perfection and an aggressive expansion policy lead to hilarity. When people declare war on you use Liberation Wars to change them to xenophobic pacifists. Once all your neighbors are cowardly isolationists you can turn your space into a fortress that swallows entire Crisis fleets whole. Once they've decimated the rest of the galaxy you roll out and rule over the ashes.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Addendum: If you've got access to them, build The Shielder of Worlds and go nuts. Every world you shield is a massive loss to your enemies and whatever end game crisis spawns.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Nah. You have to do habitats and Gaia worlds asap though. Also do defense in depth on Citadels. Every one should be a 60k nightmare fortress by the time end game rolls around.

Inward Perfection and an aggressive expansion policy lead to hilarity. When people declare war on you use Liberation Wars to change them to xenophobic pacifists. Once all your neighbors are cowardly isolationists you can turn your space into a fortress that swallows entire Crisis fleets whole. Once they've decimated the rest of the galaxy you roll out and rule over the ashes.

if you're making the galaxy like no planets and tons of chokes, gaia planets seem like a waste. Megastructures might be extra good, as laying out ringworlds is probably a way better investment than trying to take over other people's lovely space.

Oh yea, also consider placing an upgraded stronghold (fortress) on everything you can. These have inhibitors, forcing enemies to have to slog through a ton of poo poo to progress and letting you re-group as needed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Great tips on this page. What are your goons recommendations for min max empire builds?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Gaia planets are extra resources at the cost of 1 ascention perk you probably didn't need anyway because tall empires get a shitload of unity unlocks anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gyshall posted:

Great tips on this page. What are your goons recommendations for min max empire builds?

That higly depends on what you want to do, tbh, but if you want to just conquer the galaxy, roll devouring swarm. Player devouring swarms are the real endgame crises.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

That higly depends on what you want to do, tbh, but if you want to just conquer the galaxy, roll devouring swarm. Player devouring swarms are the real endgame crises.

Further to this, stacking fire rate is great fun even if not strictly optimal. Go for FanXenophobe, Militarist, Fanatic Purifier and Distinguished Admiralty. Unlock Supremacy early and select No Retreat as your war policy. Enjoy ~90% higher fire rate, effectively doubling the DPS of all your weapons.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Also, for Warmachine up the page, don't neglect trade as an important source of income. In the early game this means building a new starbase to act as a shipyard - as your capital is inevitably badly placed for this - and convert the shipyard on your capital station into a trading hub. This will normally capture all the trade in your initial three worlds, as the number of trade modules on your starbase is the range it can collect trade from, and your starting pair of habitable worlds will always be within two jumps.

After this, you'll want to daisy chain trade bases and protection bases to continue to collect trade as your empire expands. This normally cashes out as a trade base and a protection base every 1-2 clusters. Protection bases should be on junctions between clusters to give you greater defence in depth, and should be stocked with hangars as these offer the best protection value. Use trade route view, accessible via the starbase menu, to check that you're collecting all that it's worth collecting and that you're protecting against piracy (red skulls appear if not).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Gyshall posted:

There are way too many to mention depending on what you want to play. I'm pretty sure Megacorps with privatized colony ships are the snowballiest, Devouring Swarms/Determined Exterminators are the murderiest(and can outsnowball megacorps with a good start) and Pacifists are the unfunniest.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Any war you get in for fun should be a liberation war. Even if you only end up ripping a couple planets out of the other empire it creates a natural ally for you and cripples the original empire. That's my min-max secret. Authoritarian slavers to xenophile egalitarians or vice versa leads to an empire that practically begs to be vassalized.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
so what are the big problems with the current beta patch?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Aethernet posted:

Use trade route view, accessible via the starbase menu, to check that you're collecting all that it's worth collecting and that you're protecting against piracy (red skulls appear if not).

It would be nice of those red skulls appeared on the normal map without going into trade mode, so that you could quickly see if there's a trade problem.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How is 2.2.4? What game-breaking problems remain? Is all the endgame stuff fixed? Performance? AI?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I love Gateway Construction. Plopping down gateways solves so many problems if you can afford it. Of course, spamming Gateways seems like a good sign you're in victory lap mode.

On my last game as a Hivemind I ended up conquering L-Space and put a Gateway next to the L-Gate in the entry system and parked all my fleets there, while putting dedicated shipyard stations into the L-Cluster. Gave me strike capability in everyone else's backyards, and when the endgame crisis triggered I could just dogpile on it with all my naval assets instantly, which were massively built up because I'd been planning to poke the Militant Isolationists and the Holy Guardians with sharp sticks.

Edit: Do some FEs have really fast war exhaustion gain?

I was a signatory with the Xenophiles. The Materialist dudes declared war, the Xenophiles surrendered despite having taken some space - they lost fleets, but they could have replaced those since they were awoken.

The Xenophile surrender made me a Satellite to the Materialists with their 30% research tax. I demanded independence and declared war. They sent a couple of fleets which I destroyed and their war exhaustion skyrocketed and they just told me to gently caress off if I was gonna be that way. I never even moved my ships towards their space, just destroyed their assault force.

Now everyone hates my guts since all my old protectorates and vassals turned into Signatories and then Satellites and I'm the only rear end in a top hat who wanted to be independent again :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 9, 2019

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I dunno if I'm a fan of the outliner rearranging whenever you make one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Truga posted:

Gaia planets are extra resources at the cost of 1 ascention perk you probably didn't need anyway because tall empires get a shitload of unity unlocks anyway.

I mean, how many planets do you even have, and what percentage of your empire production is from them?

Perk wise, let's say you take executive vigor, ascension path A, ascension path B, galactic wonders, master builders. That leaves you 3 to play with. Collosus project is something you mentioned, and is always fun. The endgame crisis is going to be a legit threat, so defender of the galaxy seems good as well. I'd argue that in terms of usefulness for this build, that galactic force projection (bunch of free cap), eternal vigilance (starbases buffed a lot), or grasp the void (5 starbases is more cap than GFP but is expensive, or can be defense in depth setup) all are much better choices than gaia worlds.