Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Nckdictator posted:

I decided to be a contrarian rear end and see if I could find literally a single thing bad about Mr Rogers and i could only barely find one.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/01/17/ministry-of-mister-rogers/

So yeah, Rogers was a saint compared to 99% of humanity

Also, what the gently caress

there's a place in hell for those who would milkshake duck the Last Good Man :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Slippery posted:

It is right that we should be suspicious of our idols and put them to the test. The truth will make itself known. If Rogers could have been milkshake duck'd then it would only serve as proof that he was never what we thought him to be. He has been tried, he has been measured, and he wants for nothing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been reading old Conan comics from the 70’s because the art is nice and it’s a barbarian fighting wizards and giant lizards.

But it’s also the 70’s and the current issue has one of Conan’s buddies meeting up with two tribes called the Blacks and the Browns.

Maybe that’s just a name and has nothing to do with their...

The books were pretty good right up until that issue and the full-on-racism-can’t-even-call-it-a-generational-thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve been reading old Conan comics from the 70’s because the art is nice and it’s a barbarian fighting wizards and giant lizards.

But it’s also the 70’s and the current issue has one of Conan’s buddies meeting up with two tribes called the Blacks and the Browns.

Maybe that’s just a name and has nothing to do with their...

The books were pretty good right up until that issue and the full-on-racism-can’t-even-call-it-a-generational-thing.

At least they're true to the source material.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slippery posted:

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The brain makes you say crazy poo poo when you start to process the fact that your shelf full of $100-a-title Special Editions is about to turn into a bunch of dollar-bin novelty items.

For a short time, this was actually true. I am a now reformed home theater/audiophile, and in early DVDs, the audio tracks were much more compressed than many of their laserdisc counter parts. This was especially true of DTS laserdisc titles. Later laserdiscs had both digital and analog audio embeded on the discs, so things like the DTS discs had a high bitrate digital audio stream that had a bitrate several times what a compairable DVD had at the time. AC-3 laserdiscs had the Dolby Digital track encoded on the analog audio track and required a demodulator to convert the AC-3 track to your reciever. At the time, my demod cost more than any laserdisc player or receiver I had at the time.

As for the PS1 cd thing, for a time audiophiles went nuts for them because they had a dac chip in them that rivaled and sometimes even bested CD players that cost several thousand dollars. LD players were also popular for a time as CD transports as they often had digital outs (optical/toslink and/or coaxial) and their giant disc clamping mechanisms supposedly played discs better because there was 'less jitter', which I think is pretty much BS, but so is everything else audiophile.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yea, reading old pulp fiction is rough. At best it's "progressive for the time" which is usually just some white man's burden bullshit. Luckily pretty much everybody who wrote is dead and there have been some really good reworkings of it by writers of color. Can't recommend Lovecraft Country enough. Same with Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea, reading old pulp fiction is rough. At best it's "progressive for the time" which is usually just some white man's burden bullshit. Luckily pretty much everybody who wrote is dead and there have been some really good reworkings of it by writers of color. Can't recommend Lovecraft Country enough. Same with Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle.

I need to pick Lovecraft Country up again. I'd started it in audiobook but lost the MP3 player and my spot. I didn't get very far but what I'd listened to I liked

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

I need to pick Lovecraft Country up again. I'd started it in audiobook but lost the MP3 player and my spot. I didn't get very far but what I'd listened to I liked

Or wait for the HBO series :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Simpsons was way too sympathetic to Krusty when he got busted for tax-fraud, despite his wasteful spending (condor egg omelettes), and shilling his image to merchandise with no quality-control (pregnancy-test may cause birth-defects).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea, reading old pulp fiction is rough. At best it's "progressive for the time" which is usually just some white man's burden bullshit.

I just about died laughing from this one short space opera story I read. From the 19 goddamn 20s; set in a very distant future where humanity has terraformed and colonized the entire solar system and is part of a galactic civilization of many other species, and no trace of any present-day language or culture or ethnic division remains. One of the main characters who survive to the end is a female starship officer, and she's portrayed exactly as competent and brave and efficient at fighting extragalactic tentacle monsters as any of the men. In fact I don't think the author even spent any words on describing her appearance (mind you, given the nature of the story the character descriptions were pretty shallow in any case). It would have been progressive as gently caress in an SF story written even thirty or forty years later, never mind in the 1920s. But then. At the end, when the crisis is averted and the survivors go home for some well-earned R&R... she heads straight off to a beauty parlor, which (as the author directly remarks) is always the unchanging way of womankind.

quote:

Luckily pretty much everybody who wrote is dead and there have been some really good reworkings of it by writers of color. Can't recommend Lovecraft Country enough.

Pretty sure Matt Ruff is a white dude though. Good book anyway.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Considering the time Howard was alive and well, Texas.., the Conan stories are remarkably free of racism for the most part.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nutsngum posted:

Considering the time Howard was alive and well, Texas.., the Conan stories are remarkably free of racism for the most part.

Solomon Kane, on the other hand..... yikes.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Raymond Chandler was one of the creators of the hardboiled detective genre and, while there's plenty of FOR HIS TIME in his work, he throws around the n word a LOT in Farewell, My Lovely. It would be more palatable if the protagonist, presented as a cynical, but open minded, guy wasn't saying it, too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AFewBricksShy posted:

Solomon Kane, on the other hand..... yikes.

I've only ever seen the movie Solomon Kane, it was pretty bad imo and I can't imagine it has aged well.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Groke posted:

Pretty sure Matt Ruff is a white dude though. Good book anyway.

huh, stand corrected. Thanks for the heads up

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Groke posted:

I just about died laughing from this one short space opera story I read. From the 19 goddamn 20s; set in a very distant future where humanity has terraformed and colonized the entire solar system and is part of a galactic civilization of many other species, and no trace of any present-day language or culture or ethnic division remains. One of the main characters who survive to the end is a female starship officer, and she's portrayed exactly as competent and brave and efficient at fighting extragalactic tentacle monsters as any of the men. In fact I don't think the author even spent any words on describing her appearance (mind you, given the nature of the story the character descriptions were pretty shallow in any case). It would have been progressive as gently caress in an SF story written even thirty or forty years later, never mind in the 1920s. But then. At the end, when the crisis is averted and the survivors go home for some well-earned R&R... she heads straight off to a beauty parlor, which (as the author directly remarks) is always the unchanging way of womankind.

I love old sci-fi visions of the future because of how dated they can be. It really shines a spotlight on the attitudes of the time when set a future of beehives and miniskirts and adventures where no man has gone before.
Like Forbidden Planet's all white, all male spaceship crew who immediately creep on the first girl they see and Captain Leslie Nielsen admonishes her for dressing provocatively
Or When Worlds Collide, where all the 'worthy' people on the ark are white. The director was a Polish Jew, so I'm sure there was no intentional message there, but there's no way that could pass without comment today.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
An Asimov short story I read in high school had a present day man traveling through a worm hole into the distant future. At one point they give him shaving cream that kills all his beard follicles, because I guess in the 50's and 60's no one wore beards and shaving was a huge hassle.

Poor beardless Riker.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Beards in particular are a really interesting cultural phenomenon overall; there's a cycle to beards being good or beards being bad historically that's been going on pretty much since shaving was invented. More recently in the 16th and 17th centuries beards were considered good for various reasons. Then the 18th century rolled around and beards were bad. Of course if you look at photographs from the 19th century beards and mustaches were all the rage. The 20th century then changed things again; being clean shaven was the thing. In the 1960's and 70's it sort of made a comeback as counter culture wore beards to deliberately say "gently caress you" to regular, clean shaven society. In the 70's of course side burns and mustaches were huge. From the 80's until more recently it was generally considered better to be clean shaven but people were increasingly tolerant of facial hair. Now beards are in again.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Beards in particular are a really interesting cultural phenomenon overall; there's a cycle to beards being good or beards being bad historically that's been going on pretty much since shaving was invented. More recently in the 16th and 17th centuries beards were considered good for various reasons. Then the 18th century rolled around and beards were bad. Of course if you look at photographs from the 19th century beards and mustaches were all the rage. The 20th century then changed things again; being clean shaven was the thing. In the 1960's and 70's it sort of made a comeback as counter culture wore beards to deliberately say "gently caress you" to regular, clean shaven society. In the 70's of course side burns and mustaches were huge. From the 80's until more recently it was generally considered better to be clean shaven but people were increasingly tolerant of facial hair. Now beards are in again.

I have to wonder how much of that was due to function. I mean, I remember reading that beards fell out of style during WWI because you couldn't get a proper seal on a gasmask with facial hair. So when men returned from the front, they were mostly clean-shaven, which became the fashion (it's also why Adolf Hitler sported a Kaiser-style mustache but shaved it to what it's known as now during WWI, or so I read).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

you can have my Go Nagai-style sideburns when you shave them off my cold dead face

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I love old sci-fi visions of the future because of how dated they can be. It really shines a spotlight on the attitudes of the time when set a future of beehives and miniskirts and adventures where no man has gone before.
Like Forbidden Planet's all white, all male spaceship crew who immediately creep on the first girl they see and Captain Leslie Nielsen admonishes her for dressing provocatively
Or When Worlds Collide, where all the 'worthy' people on the ark are white. The director was a Polish Jew, so I'm sure there was no intentional message there, but there's no way that could pass without comment today.

Doesn't help that attempts at being progressive would often be actively pushed back against by editors and/or authorities. See EC's Judgement Day. Star Trek and The Twilight Zone often had to use rather blatant allegories because being explicit would piss off the producers or censors, especially since there was an entire thing of Southern shows cutting all scenes with non-stereotypical black characters.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MariusLecter posted:

I've only ever seen the movie Solomon Kane, it was pretty bad imo and I can't imagine it has aged well.

The movie was just not a great movie.

The stories are about a puritan badass who goes to the heart of deepest, darkest, Africa. They were written in the '30's so it's not exactly delicate about race relations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

OutOfPrint posted:

Raymond Chandler was one of the creators of the hardboiled detective genre and, while there's plenty of FOR HIS TIME in his work, he throws around the n word a LOT in Farewell, My Lovely. It would be more palatable if the protagonist, presented as a cynical, but open minded, guy wasn't saying it, too.

In the same one he also tosses out a whole buncha other slurs too, and also has a racist characture of a native american.

On the flip side he also calls out police racism too, wherein the police department has a single detective on the case of a guy* who murders a couple black men who is overworked because they dump all the crimes where POC are victims on him, and as a result, none get solved. This is protrayed as hosed up, and Marlowe is the only one who gives a poo poo enough to solve it.

*The killer is Irish, so I guess we should get Liam Neeson to play him in the movie adaptation.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Hahaha

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Conan comics aren't THAT bad. Like the examples I posted were terrible, but they were notable because I hadn't seen such overt racism in the comic. Usually it's swarthy Middle-easterners or sinister vaguely Asian looking wizards, but none of them are stereotyped to their race.

Now that I think about it though, the good guys are always White (or bronzed in Conan's case). By crom! It was racist all along.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Conan comics aren't THAT bad. Like the examples I posted were terrible, but they were notable because I hadn't seen such overt racism in the comic. Usually it's swarthy Middle-easterners or sinister vaguely Asian looking wizards, but none of them are stereotyped to their race.

Now that I think about it though, the good guys are always White (or bronzed in Conan's case). By crom! It was racist all along.

This is why I prefer the barsoom series. Just a whole lot of titties and fighting oh, none of this racist bulshit.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Now I want to see an adult person doing the reverse of this video.

https://youtu.be/q8DiOthAKek

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Toshimo posted:

This is why I prefer the barsoom series. Just a whole lot of titties and fighting oh, none of this racist bulshit.

The Barsoom racial hierarchy is something like Green<Red<White<Black=Yellow<Confederate States of America.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Ghostbusters is one of the recent examples. The EPA guy has a beard to make him look uncool and out-of-touch but thanks to the change in fashion he now looks exactly the opposite.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ghostbusters is one of the recent examples. The EPA guy has a beard to make him look uncool and out-of-touch but thanks to the change in fashion he now looks exactly the opposite.

Beard or not, that guy still has no dick.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pseudosavior posted:

Beard or not, that guy still has no dick.

The actor also joined a cult that "rehabilitated" him from homosexuality to heterosexuality so.... :yikes:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Toshimo posted:

The actor also joined a cult that "rehabilitated" him from homosexuality to heterosexuality so.... :yikes:

........oh...oh dear.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Toshimo posted:

Hoo boy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetic_Realism

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toshimo posted:

:yikes: takes on a whole new meaning there.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And looking back on it, he was mostly in the right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This makes me think the improv cult from Bojack Horseman.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It definitely would have gone better if Venkman wasn't needlessly hostile and cagey about it. He was pretty good at negotiating with the mayor later on at least.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I mean, aside from just turning off the containment unit. That was a very dumb decision. If you had say, nuclear waste in some sort of active containment unit, would you just turn it off, or would you wait to do so until you had some sort of backup containment in place?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

sweet geek swag posted:

I mean, aside from just turning off the containment unit. That was a very dumb decision. If you had say, nuclear waste in some sort of active containment unit, would you just turn it off, or would you wait to do so until you had some sort of backup containment in place?
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Aside from that his concerns were pretty much spot-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Peck being in the right is more or less rendered irrelevant because of how he goes about it. You can be a hundred percent right in all aspects, but if you're confrontational, abrasive, and have negative per-conceived notions that you have no issue with voicing outright, ie, are a total rear end in a top hat about it, people are not going to listen to you.

That's a constant lesson in fiction, pretty much: if you're an rear end in a top hat, you render everything else a moot point.