Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nothing says "Collingwood home game" like the commission flats in the background of the broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Dees dominate F50s with a howling breeze to the city end lmao

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The commentators just mentioned 8 weeks of pre-season only for the women's comp. How exactly are the skills meant to improve properly with such a tiny amount of prep time?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Skills improve for the players who play during the VFLW season, but since there is a cap on AFLW listed players playing in that competition... yeah, skills don't improve for everyone.

5 month contracts, 3 of those months are preseason with only 3training sessions a week in the evening after a full days work. Then a bit of extra gym time ontop of that.

Add in the fact there are only 7 games for most clubs so a few players will only get to play one or two games in a season, if they even get a game at all.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 9, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I love Karen Paxman

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Please don’t loving choke again you idiots

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Dees are going to lose the game late again imo

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I always believed in you girls!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BrigadierSensible posted:

Like seriously, I am surprised that there are so few players/clubs faking "general soreness" as an excuse not to risk playing in this farce.

They'll wait until a few days before the games.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Skills improve for the players who play during the VFLW season, but since there is a cap on AFLW listed players playing in that competition... yeah, skills don't improve for everyone.

5 month contracts, 3 of those months are preseason with only 3training sessions a week in the evening after a full days work. Then a bit of extra gym time ontop of that.

Add in the fact there are only 7 games for most clubs so a few players will only get to play one or two games in a season, if they even get a game at all.

The restrictions make me honestly wonder if the actual best players are actually playing in the VWFL and the like rather then AFLW. The fact there is an actual full season at state level really would make up for a lot of the reduced payment they might receive.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wind assisted or no I did not think she was going to get that goal from the paint of the 50

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wind assisted or no I did not think she was going to get that goal from the paint of the 50

Would have thought that she could on the run but there are very few AFLW players capable of it. Aasta could but she also hosed her set shot earlier.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kirsty Lamb, what an absolute unit.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 9, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nutsngum posted:

The restrictions make me honestly wonder if the actual best players are actually playing in the VWFL and the like rather then AFLW. The fact there is an actual full season at state level really would make up for a lot of the reduced payment they might receive.

Hawks (and some other clubs) were paying VFLW players quite a lot more (~$30,000) than they'd be able to earn in the AFLW because were was no salary cap, there will now be one for this upcoming season. And now SA/NT team and soon to be a tassie team in the VFLW, it is larger than the aflw.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Did the Blues just push me Libnat campaign promises?! Wtf

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

CFC : Stopping the boats since 1896

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
what did they do

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Libs announced funding for upgrades of princes park. 15m but only if they win the election.

Labor have pledged 20m.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1094448532885360641?s=19

They also pushed this through the app and membership email.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

hiddenmovement posted:

CFC : Stopping the boats since 1896

1864 thankuverymuch.

At least we don't have liberal party members in the board anymore.

Or a platform for Scomos car to watch the footy like menzies had.

https://twitter.com/Econodel/status/378849621390286848?s=19

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Liberal National Government instead of Federal Government, lots of heaped praise and Daniel Andrews Government instead of State or even Labor.

Pretty dangerous ground, taking your sports team into partisan political territory

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Adelaide’s defence is panicked as gently caress

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Carltank

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Perkins just did a chest bump to celebrate a goal and sent Hatchard flying to the turf

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Perkins just did a chest bump to celebrate a goal and sent Hatchard flying to the turf

gif plz

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1094481951673573378?s=19

Well we were good for 3 quarters. Umpiring was pretty bad all round but at 3qrt it was 6 to 19 free kicks in the crows favour.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shaun Burgoyne's youngest daughter just confirmed in the post game interview that Auntie Erin is the better player :3:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Quantum Shart posted:

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1094448532885360641?s=19

They also pushed this through the app and membership email.

Oh Carlton, dont ever stop being the shittiest team in the comp for all the reasons.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Apparently they played the old 'Camry' version of the Crows song after the win at Ikon today, as though nobody had updated the library there since 2003

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 10, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The AFL, displaying their incompetence again? It's unthinkable

https://twitter.com/PeopleAflw/status/1094525719202263040

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Conferences are a garbage idea.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We’ve already missed out on finals by percentage both years, I’m looking forward to us missing out despite finishing a game clear of the team that does make it in tbh

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Solemn Sloth posted:

We’ve already missed out on finals by percentage both years, I’m looking forward to us missing out despite finishing a game clear of the team that does make it in tbh

I hope that multiple teams miss out because of conferences and that this makes them realise that conferences are bad, and they scrap them.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Conferences are a garbage idea.

They make some sense in the NHL and NBA where:
1) You have 30(+) teams.
2) Those teams are widely distributed across a range of timezones.
3) There are 82 regular season games and you want to maximise the number of games a fan might want to watch, despite the fact they might be jammed onto a Wednesday night or a Friday mid-afternoon (or a Sunday midnight).

They make next to no sense in the AFL or ApFeLWaffeln where:
1) there are fewer than 20 teams
2) more than 75% of the team plays in effectively the same timezone (more than 75% of the current AFL-W plays in ADST, and there is no Daylight Savings time offset in the winter months to affect the AFL timezones) and where a relatively small proportion of the league plays a significant amount of travel away from the bulk of the league (it's not like the NHL where teams go on "big road trips" - effectively like how the SupeRugby teams go "on tour").
3) The AFL has like 24 games including all finals, the AFLW has like 10, the games could already all be on a weekend (if the AFL wasn't bending over to TV like there was no tomorrow).

And that's getting rid of the stupidity of the conference system seen in the NHL and NBA which is deliberately designed to try and magick up bullshit rivalries (or keep teams on life support, lol Buffalo, Florida), and which creates weird mismatches on paper that turn out to be straight up over matches in real life (:rip: 2016-2017 Montreal Canadiens, may you never have to play a wild card with more wins and only one fewer point ever again... although, may you play many, many wildcards that are much, much worse than you all the time).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 10, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL, displaying their incompetence again? It's unthinkable

https://twitter.com/PeopleAflw/status/1094525719202263040

These people are legit loving morons. I swear its almost being treated as a lip service that will "pass by in a bit" but forgot to tell all the clubs and all the supporters. You jackasses AFL house.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If the MCG finally has test status revoked they could push the start of the men’s finals to October and get another few weeks free for AFLW an expanded AFLX tournament

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Schlesische posted:

They make some sense in the NHL and NBA where:

I dunno anything about NHL but I've thought the way they were implemented in the NBA was garbage for a while.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

I dunno anything about NHL but I've thought the way they were implemented in the NBA was garbage for a while.

It's trash in the nhl too.

That it makes some sense in US leagues is a good place to compare and contrast with the AFL which is doing it for reasons that seem beyond comprehension.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Conferences are loving garbage in all scenarios. They should only be used when there is literally no alternative, like there are more teams than weeks in the year. Would it really have been that hard to just add three more weeks to the season? God forbid we let the AFLW season last longer than the Big Bash League.

But fine, you've decided to go with the conference system because you're a bunch of morons. Who the gently caress okayed putting Collingwood, Carlton, GWS and Geelong in the same conference? Brisbane is literally the only team there that has won more than 50% of its matches so far, and everybody knew that North Melbourne was going to be the stronger of the two new teams. Short of replacing Brisbane with Fremantle, you couldn't have picked a more uneven conference based on the first two seasons, and ironically Freo look okay this year so I guess they found a way to make it even worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Also, can someone who has been following this closer than me explain why North Melbourne's AFLW team is so drat strong while Geelong's is just average? They would have had similar concessions, right? North Melbourne look practically unbeatable.