Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it says something that "little girl believes she has to have a child with a grown man to save the world because aliens told her so" is the least crazy part.

I almost threw my phone at the TV when the dad admitted that he jerked the other dude off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Read through a load of stuff about Theranos recently and discovered Errol Morris directed a load of corporate videos for them:

https://patrickthomasoneill.com/Theranos

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Reel Rock 13 is out on Vimeo finally

sadus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 9, 2019

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

sadus posted:

Reel Rock 13 is out on Vimeo finally

Hell yes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Groovelord Neato posted:

abducted in plain sight is loving bonkers. i can't believe these people exist.

Mormons seem to have a gift of taking utter stupidity to the next level. What a wild ride that was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mahoning posted:

I almost threw my phone at the TV when the dad admitted that he jerked the other dude off.

yeah uh i still don't understand how that happened. what was even nuttier to me was when the mom hosed the guy AFTER the abduction.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mormons seem to have a gift of taking utter stupidity to the next level. What a wild ride that was.

speaking of mormons and documentaries and illegal sex stuff, cleanflix is a great one. musta watched that poo poo a half dozen times.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Groovelord Neato posted:

abducted in plain sight is loving bonkers. i can't believe these people exist.

I just finished it. jesus :psyduck:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

B's conspiracy theory flyer was somehow a more rational explanation than "Yeah, we really were that dumb and hung up on hiding our personal sins instead of protecting our child."

I would pay for the FBI agent to record an audio commentary for the whole movie.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

abducted: I've read a few books on cults and I vacillate between seeing these folks as credulous boobs and unwitting members of a family cult in the making. However, I am only halfway through it, so I'm prepared to have my jaw drop further.

edit: and it's possible that being Mormon, which is a pretty high control religion, made them more susceptible in a way.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 9, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm surprised there's no Making a Murderer thread. I pretty much binged the new season, could not stop!

I've been following it since the first season so almost everything in the second season I already knew about so it was less compelling for me. I have watched the first season a bunch of times and really don't see why Avery would even want to murder anyone.

I also drew this picture a long time ago,

It's when Stephen Avery opens the door to his trailer to let Brendan come in to help with the rape and murder and how ludicrous the story is.

The reddit used to be even more toxic with the most annoying posts ever made. They have slightly cleaned up the name calling and hid the subreddits that are pro a side now. There was a thread in the tv forum for awhile after the first season.

Holy poo poo I reply to things so late. So I guess I'll give a little update on whats new for the story. Kathleen Zellner asked the court if they could test all the bones to see if they belong to the same person and other things. Then she found out from police reports that they had already given all the bones that they found behind Stephen Avery's trailer and in the quarry and maybe some other places, back to the Halbach's family to bury. And that by giving the bones back to Halbach's family, the state implicitly admitted that they were human and belong to Halbach. Then she reported to the court that they had violated Avery's due process rights by violating Wisconsin's law on the preservation of biological evidence. I think her goal is to prove that all the bones belong to Teresa and poke holes in the story by the state that everything happened at trailer with the proof of two burn locations.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 10, 2019

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man yeah, I've been on the Reddit and now there's these sad factions of "Avery is obviously guilty!" who always swoop and just know all the facts and are so sure, it's like two rivals of football. So lame.

Holy poo poo I just finished Abduction in Plain Sight and... gently caress... what... those parents... so dumb? So dumb. So loving... unforgivable? Cunts?

Cunts

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In my mind, when Jan tells her parents of what happened between her and B it takes an hour to go through everything that went on, and a further 3 hours to then convince them that no the aliens aren’t actually real.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

making a murderer is so frustrating because even if you think avery did it the prosecution didn't make their case and brendan dassey very obviously had nothing to do with it. the most frustrating aspect of both seasons is there's no focus on what dassey said when his mom came in after the interrogation - that it was like when he just fills in his homework when he has no idea what the answer is. that's on top of the interrogators blatantly feeding him information.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh man yeah, I've been on the Reddit and now there's these sad factions of "Avery is obviously guilty!" who always swoop and just know all the facts and are so sure, it's like two rivals of football. So lame.

Holy poo poo I just finished Abduction in Plain Sight and... gently caress... what... those parents... so dumb? So dumb. So loving... unforgivable? Cunts?

Cunts

In my experience, whenever there's a chance someone was wrongfully accused in a case that gets media saturated those people ALWAYS exist. There are folk who are absolutely sure the WM3 did it, and to be more regional about it as a Canadian, there are people who think David Milgaard should have been in jail.

poo poo, as recently as a few years ago, Trump thought the Central Park 5 still did it. And they actually got exonerated!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I stopped about a third of the way into abducted when I realized how stupid the father AND the mother were. They're victims too, but holy poo poo people how are you down for this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

El Gallinero Gros posted:

poo poo, as recently as a few years ago, Trump thought the Central Park 5 still did it. And they actually got exonerated!

Oh I’m sure he still does.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

I stopped about a third of the way into abducted when I realized how stupid the father AND the mother were. They're victims too, but holy poo poo people how are you down for this?

you should keep watching cuz it gets wilder.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh I’m sure he still does.

he does. this was less than a month before the election:

quote:

They admitted they were guilty. The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Surprised he didn't run with the old "Well, even if they didn't do this one crime I'm sure they did *something*".

wavy gravy
Oct 23, 2009
I'm looking for a particular documentary about alcoholism. I'm sure it was an iteration of this thread from years ago where I first came across it. Ive tried a bunch of search terms but not found it yet.
There was the usual hospital ward with longtime alcoholics but what stood out was the binge drinker. She never saw herself as an alcoholic, because she didn't need alcohol and would only drink on the weekends.
I remember a poor dude just chugging horrible wine in his home, the kind of chugging where you could tell he was retching at the same time.
I'm sure it was a UK based doc, and I quite clearly remember the binge drinker puking up tons of blood in the hospital.
Any ideas?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

wavy gravy posted:

I'm looking for a particular documentary about alcoholism. I'm sure it was an iteration of this thread from years ago where I first came across it. Ive tried a bunch of search terms but not found it yet.
There was the usual hospital ward with longtime alcoholics but what stood out was the binge drinker. She never saw herself as an alcoholic, because she didn't need alcohol and would only drink on the weekends.
I remember a poor dude just chugging horrible wine in his home, the kind of chugging where you could tell he was retching at the same time.
I'm sure it was a UK based doc, and I quite clearly remember the binge drinker puking up tons of blood in the hospital.
Any ideas?

Sounds like the Louis Theroux one, where he visits a British hospital that specializes in Alcohol abuse.

Linky: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5561592/

wavy gravy
Oct 23, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Sounds like the Louis Theroux one, where he visits a British hospital that specializes in Alcohol abuse.

Linky: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5561592/

Nah, definitely not the Theroux one, I'll keep looking.
Thanks though matey.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

wavy gravy posted:

Any ideas?

At least the binge drinker sounds like one part of Risky Drinking; she said 'I'll only drink on the weekends when out with friends!' *sloppy crying and vomiting in a dorm bathroom*. But then again, a lot of binge drinkers seem to have that sort of mindset.

It wasn't U.K. though, so I'm probably wrong; it's still a good documentary. There was also a 'wine mom' (that got too drunk to go to her daughter's eighth grade graduation) and a guy that had to slam six beers on his lunch break to keep his shakes at bay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1097905853515120642

wavy gravy
Oct 23, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

At least the binge drinker sounds like one part of Risky Drinking; she said 'I'll only drink on the weekends when out with friends!' *sloppy crying and vomiting in a dorm bathroom*. But then again, a lot of binge drinkers seem to have that sort of mindset.

It wasn't U.K. though, so I'm probably wrong; it's still a good documentary. There was also a 'wine mom' (that got too drunk to go to her daughter's eighth grade graduation) and a guy that had to slam six beers on his lunch break to keep his shakes at bay.

I finally found it!!!!
Rain in my Heart.

its floating on youtube but i warn you, it is bleak, but hugely touching and connective. Louis and the drinkie dudes was a great doco (yo yo Mr Shiny Pants) but that's just a standard louis theroux. Always great, always informative, but always clean enough to be shown at a certain hour.
This one i think always stands out to me because there are no silver linings. No positives. nothing to grasp. Just straight documenting the total despair and destructing that comes from the illness. Very sad but very important.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Abducted in Plain Sight kept escalating until I was sure it was going to end with the reveal that the aliens were real

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Abducted in Plain Sight kept escalating until I was sure it was going to end with the reveal that the aliens were real

And the Aliens were also convinced to jerk off B.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are any of Theroux's films on streaming in Canada (we can't have Hulu)?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

My Scientology Movie is apparently on Netflix

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Only the Scientology movie is available on Netflix Canada. Are you looking for something specific by him?

Note about the Scientology movie: there is a weird scene with Paz De La Huerta where Louis worries that she was paid by Scientologists to stalk/monitor him. She acts very strange. I know somebody who has worked with Paz and in that scene she is being absolutely bizarre but that's just Paz being Paz and not Paz being an asset for Scientology. In fact, Paz is so unpredictable that she's definitely not going to be able to be a secret asset for pretty much anybody.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is out in the US on friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Co8Z8BQgWc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InfiniteZero posted:

Only the Scientology movie is available on Netflix Canada. Are you looking for something specific by him?

Note about the Scientology movie: there is a weird scene with Paz De La Huerta where Louis worries that she was paid by Scientologists to stalk/monitor him. She acts very strange. I know somebody who has worked with Paz and in that scene she is being absolutely bizarre but that's just Paz being Paz and not Paz being an asset for Scientology. In fact, Paz is so unpredictable that she's definitely not going to be able to be a secret asset for pretty much anybody.

The Paz scene is the best part of the movie, mainly because they have no idea who she is. There used to be a parody Paz account on Twitter yeeeeears back that used to be hilarious because it captured the gleeful insanity of how she appears to live her life.

I personally don't think the Scientology movie is his best work, because Louie's schtick doesn't really work on these people. It has interesting elements for sure, and it's worth a watch (loads of people really liked it. I just think Going Clear and what I've seen of the show wonderfully known as gently caress Scientology does it better).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a highly entertaining doc about flat earthers, specifically the most "famous" ones, and after setting them up as almost sympathetic it lets them gloriously hang themselves and look ultra pathetic.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

King of Beasts is pretty good. A film crew follows a trophy lion hunt in Tanzania. There is some amazing footage. The direction is very laid back and happy to let the men speak for themselves. It's on VOD now.

:siren: animal corpses :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFq4LTPmlA

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Not sure I want to watch a documentary where a bunch of assholes murder a lion? Maybe if it was the other way round

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In Steven Avery news, they are going to go ahead to test the bones that are buried so either you might hear about how the state had to defile the murdered tomb to prove Steven Avery guilty or Steven Avery getting set free because the State is a vile and evil thing.

I'm sure either outcome will be great to hear about.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really hope he's set free, then this nightmare can end

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

can't wait, going on monday in IMAX

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Admiral Bosch posted:

can't wait, going on monday in IMAX

Just got back from this and it is amazingly amazing. There's so much stuff I've never seen elsewhere.

There's shot where they show the view from the elevator as the astronauts ride up to the command module. There is just never-ending Saturn V in the foreground and it nearly broke me, it's overwhelming how BIG it is. At one point my wife leaned over and whispered, "Even though I know they make it, I'm still nervous."

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Very cool doc called So Help Me God, about a woman who is an examining magistrate in Brussels. You follow her questioning suspects face to face, and her team as they chase a cold case murder. She deals with the dark, distasteful parts of humanity with grace, humor and curiosity which is really extraordinary. The footage is left for the audience to interpret, no message or expository work by the filmmakers. Well done, refreshing, even though it's pretty grim material.

On Kanopy

Edit: there's still a Saturn V you can walk around at the Johnson Space Center in Houston. It's staggering, I can’t recommend that experience enough.

bort fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My wife and I have been watching Lorena on Amazon and it’s pretty well made and interesting, but we have only watched the first half so far and you can tell they’re padding it with stuff to extend it out to 4 episodes. Lots of repeated quotes within the same episode, etc.

As someone who was a 12 year old at the time it’s an interesting look at what we all joked about at school but it’s a bit disheartening to see attitudes about rape and abuse haven’t really evolved in the public consciousness over the past nearly 30 years as much as I would have hoped.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 6, 2019