Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

It made me think of a manga I flipped through once where a woman has a crush on an actor who's really into anime and she has surgery done to make herself more animelike to appeal to him and at the end after having several surgeries, she's like an anime version of a grey alien.

Was it a horror manga or did it just happen to be horrific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a stupid hill to die on period and it's a really stupid hill to die re: an adaptation of a story full of snake-spine cyborgs and brains and eyeballs flying out of their sockets and poo poo.

AH, that must be why they wanted big eyes in the movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drunkboxer posted:

Was it a horror manga or did it just happen to be horrific?

Isn't that a Franken Fran story? That manga is super explicitly horror.

e: yeah I'm pretty sure that's either from Franken Fran or it's a Junji Ito oneshot, and in both cases, it's explicitly meant to be horror.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't that a Franken Fran story? That manga is super explicitly horror.

Possibly. I'm not really into anime/manga so I'm not particularly up on what's horror beyond anything Junji Ito or Hideshi Hino.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

It made me think of a manga I flipped through once where a woman has a crush on an actor who's really into anime and she has surgery done to make herself more animelike to appeal to him and at the end after having several surgeries, she's like an anime version of a grey alien.

There was an issue of Ghost Rider a bunch of years ago where he fought a demon in Japan whose specialty was "flesh sculpting." It chose to manifest itself as an exaggerated anime schoolgirl and it was really disgusting-looking.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a stupid hill to die on period and it's a really stupid hill to die on re: an adaptation of a story full of snake-spine cyborgs and brains and eyeballs flying out of their sockets and poo poo.

Anyone can make a mediocre movie with 200 million and computers, it'll be forgotten within the year like Avatar was

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pomp posted:

Anyone can make a mediocre movie with 200 million and computers, it'll be forgotten within the year like Avatar was

I feel like Avatar is sort of a weird paradox at this point, because everyone remembers it for not being remembered.

Alita, at the bare minimum, is a whole lot loving weirder than Avatar was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pomp posted:

Practical effects aren't going to make a mediocre movie any better. Like it's completely perpendicular to the issue.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Basebf555 posted:

They made her eyes a little less gigantic, that's basically it. But she's the main character, basically in every scene.

Naw, they just made the irises proportionally bigger to make her look less freaky. Total eye size is the same.

I went to a screening with Robert Rodriguez in attendance and he talked about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

Jesus Christ

I find it kind of sad that Andy is like

He's what 12 here? Fucker was 8 at most in the first movie. I think 6? That's part of what makes it work so well. The younger Andy is, the more of a threat Chucky is. Chucky basically does not work as a physical threat to anyone that is above the age of ten unless they're disabled in some way or he has the element of surprise.

Even six year old Andy in the first Child's Play kicked his rear end head to head.

"This is the end, friend!"

Chucky only ever kills adults anyway and spends most of his time Looney Tunes'ing his way to get Andy, so this is kind of a dumb point.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
They really should just full-on show the doll in a trailer though, I mean they've already shown it in promotional poster mock-ups so there's no need to be coy anymore.

e: Spoiler it looks like poo poo. It looks like the doll from that Pinocchio horror movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah it looks bad. No Voodoo No Want.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Being a robot is incredibly lame. At least with the animated voodoo angle it's like, "Well what the gently caress do we do to it?" With something you already know is a robot the answer is simple, "Break the drat thing."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheKingslayer posted:

Being a robot is incredibly lame. At least with the animated voodoo angle it's like, "Well what the gently caress do we do to it?" With something you already know is a robot the answer is simple, "Break the drat thing."

On the other hand, if the robot is made of Nokium or Nintendium, this might be an issue.

e: at a glance, this actually could be something they use as a hope spot, only to go LOL NOPE when Fake Chucky (Fucky?) turns out to be completely indestructible without, like, putting him through a hydraulic press Terminator-style. electronic toys are usually deliberately built to be a motherfucker to break.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 9, 2019

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I agree. The remake should be exactly like the original

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I agree. The remake should be exactly like the original

Not all change is necessary or good. This is like remaking Hellraiser except now the puzzle box is an app.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, we don't get enough killer robot movies, so if this is a fun one I'll be happy.

I actually think you could cover some interesting subtextual ground with regards to stuff like LA Beast and the "Bird Box challenge" with that Hellraiser idea. People deliberately subjecting themselves to horrible, painful and dangerous experiences for no other reason than the approval of others would be an interesting thing to throw Cenobites into.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

On the other hand, we don't get enough killer robot movies, so if this is a fun one I'll be happy.

I actually think you could cover some interesting subtextual ground with regards to stuff like LA Beast and the "Bird Box challenge" with that Hellraiser idea. People deliberately subjecting themselves to horrible, painful and dangerous experiences for no other reason than the approval of others would be an interesting thing to throw Cenobites into.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term 'unboxing video'

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Practical effects aren't going to make a mediocre movie any better. Like it's completely perpendicular to the issue.

The funny thing with practical and digital effects is that they can’t make a movie better when done well, but either one done badly will ruin an otherwise good film.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

King Vidiot posted:

They really should just full-on show the doll in a trailer though, I mean they've already shown it in promotional poster mock-ups so there's no need to be coy anymore.

e: Spoiler it looks like poo poo. It looks like the doll from that Pinocchio horror movie.

Do you have the promo mock-ups? Also, Pinocchio Horror Movie?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I disagree. There's lots of old movies that are fun to watch for zany practical effects that are otherwise not very "good" movies, but when the 90s/00s rolled around and all the cheap movies started using lovely digital effects it made them much less entertaining overall.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tolkien minority posted:

I disagree. There's lots of old movies that are fun to watch for zany practical effects that are otherwise not very "good" movies, but when the 90s/00s rolled around and all the cheap movies started using lovely digital effects it made them much less entertaining overall.

This is 100% true, I'll watch the poo poo out of a terrible film if the practical stuff is good.

Also, am I crazy or does the chick's dress in your avatar change colors from time to time?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's more that when coupled with that I'm not expecting much from James Cameron jerking off with computers 25 years past his prime

Pomp fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 9, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also, am I crazy or does the chick's dress in your avatar change colors from time to time?

That's a dude in his avatar (the rapper Young Thug), and multiple goons have the av in various colors.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh, I have no clue who that is, my mistake, but that would explain it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I now have the mental image of the Cenobites behind some Youtube challenge and Pinhead saying to the others "We once had to use persuasion and intimidation, who knew adding a Like button would make mortal so willing to embrace suffering."

Not helping either was my fiance asking how PewDiePie would handle opening the Lament Configuration.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

M_Sinistrari posted:

I now have the mental image of the Cenobites behind some Youtube challenge and Pinhead saying to the others "We once had to use persuasion and intimidation, who knew adding a Like button would make mortal so willing to embrace suffering."

Not helping either was my fiance asking how PewDiePie would handle opening the Lament Configuration.

I legit think this is a workable idea if you focus on the angle of people suffering for internet fame and Cenobites feeding off of that. Like, this is something that could be done Barker style and jive with the first two fine, instead of being a lovely DTV Sequel Idea.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I legit think this is a workable idea if you focus on the angle of people suffering for internet fame and Cenobites feeding off of that. Like, this is something that could be done Barker style and jive with the first two fine, instead of being a lovely DTV Sequel Idea.

*jibe

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I think Krampus was elevated from garbage to fun romp mostly because of the design and practical effects.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you have the promo mock-ups? Also, Pinocchio Horror Movie?

I'm talking about this:

Dunno what else to call it, it's not a poster but it appears on like every YouTube video speculating about the new movie and as a thumbnail for the trailer. Also yes, there's a Pinocchio horror movie called Pinocchio's Revenge. I mean, I've never seen it but you never forget something this stupid:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Watched The People Under the Stairs for the first time last night.

The first smash cut to Everett McGill running around in the gimp suit with a shotgun is the hardest I’ve laughed in some time.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Y'all remember The Boy? I just did, and it's real bad.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Watched The People Under the Stairs for the first time last night.

The first smash cut to Everett McGill running around in the gimp suit with a shotgun is the hardest I’ve laughed in some time.

That scene gets me every single time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Username 666 with a budget

https://youtu.be/7iFXyLah2oQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bluedeanie posted:

Y'all remember The Boy? I just did, and it's real bad.

The Boy Owns.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Let The Corpses Tan, more like "let the leather squeak"

That was a weird fuckin' movie. I'm not 100% sure what I think of it yet. It was unique, for sure, and the cinematography was beautiful.

edit-- if you thought Quentin Tarantino let his fetishes bleed over into his films, wait til you get a load of Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 9, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just got around to seeing Velvet Buzzsaw and really liked it.

I'll spoiler stuff just to make sure nothing slips plot-wise.

I really really enjoyed Jake Gyllenhaal all the way through, his character fit right in with the world of the movie but was also pretty fun. The whole movie felt like some kind of neo-Lovecraftian story. The whole idea of cursed artwork is something I like, things like The King In Yellow and Cigarette Burns and this fit right in there for me.

Something else I appreciate were the contrasts between the artists and the people that seemed to run the art world. Gretchen, Dondon, Josephina and Rhodora seemed to lack any artistic vision of their own and were only obsessed with numbers, metrics, and cold information while having no true appreciation for creativity outside of how they could increase their prestige or bank account. In turn they all attempted to exploit Morf's talents to make up for their own poor taste. It wasn't exactly a masterpiece morality story about how art is for it's own sake but I like what they were going for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

Not all change is necessary or good. This is like remaking Hellraiser except now the puzzle box is an app.

I would probably watch a movie where completing Candy Crush Saga level 2000 summoned the Cenobites.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/jennifer-tilly-childs-play-remake/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Hole in the Ground is out now if you have access to DirectTV. Very minor broad plot spoiler: it's another take on the changeling legend in Ireland, like The Hallow. Pretty familiar ground all in all, but there's some good sequences that kept me interested.

Jedit posted:

I would probably watch a movie where completing Candy Crush Saga level 2000 summoned the Cenobites.

The protagonist has to explain to a frustrated Pinhead that she wasn't going to great lengths to taste the extremities of pleasure and pain, she just has a long bus commute.