Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity as I'm not up on the US housing market, does that means he owns the house without debt, or that technically nobody owns the house right now?

I do not know! To my mind if the bank can't prove that he hasn't paid off his mortgage (or has no record of him ever having a mortgage) then the house ought to be his, free and clear, since he has the deed. But who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Some executives are about to understand why IT was always asking for more budget and they are going to regret not giving it to them

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

orange sky posted:

Some executives are about to understand why IT was always asking for more budget and they are going to regret not giving it to them

:lol: Yeah, no. They'll poo poo on their IT and blame them for the whole mess and learn nothing.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

:lol: Yeah, no. They'll poo poo on their IT and blame them for the whole mess and learn nothing.

It's this, yeah

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Really looking forward to that RCA if it’s ever released. The Azure south central data center outage was a fun read where a whole mess of stuff just happened to go on at once and cascaded

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

They'll "fix" the problem by firing the key members of the IT department (taking all the knowledge necessary to actually fix the problem with them) and replacing them with low-bid overseas working visa contractors, claiming it'll all never happen again, pinkie-promise.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They'll "fix" the problem by firing the key members of the IT department (taking all the knowledge necessary to actually fix the problem with them) and replacing them with low-bid overseas working visa contractors, claiming it'll all never happen again, pinkie-promise.

Maybe one of the executives will resign and get rewarded with a mega bonus so the others won’t have to.

This will only happen if public outrage will lead to politicians starting to meddle in the discussion if they think they can win votes from it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Anyone ever worked with AeroHive products ?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't see how they've not been acquired already.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

AeroHive or Wells Fargo?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

As in “they’re so poo poo I don’t understand how they’re still in business” or “they’re so awesome I can’t believe nobody acquired them yet”?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't like the product. They once were a bit special in terms of the feature set but the NG platform that they want everybody to use is missing features compared to the old HiveManager, and the old HiveManager is so underprovisioned now that I can regularly see a 30-minute long queue to push configurations to devices and that makes it unusable if you're wanting to try some settings out.

I guess there are still use cases they fit really well - multiple branch locations where you want to ship APs out and have them auto-provision based on things like public IP and tunnel back, endless tweaking of all the radio parameters to get your particular traffic working perfectly. They just didn't work for us - the number of radio settings mean that different support techs tell you that you need to have things set in ways that contradict each other, you can't go direct to Aerohive for support outside of the USA, we had obvious software bugs blamed on interference, the mounting hardware is absolutely terrible.

The hardware isn't bad, but I can't see where they are meant to fit into the market. All the other pure-WiFi vendors have been acquired by somebody else, and I can't see how Aerohive will continue on their own.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
They are very popular with VARs because they give 40 points on the sale, where as something like Cisco is 8 or less.

I have one sitting on my desk i need to test out in our isolation chamber. I'm curious if their radio performs as bad as a Cisco AP when you fully load it with mixed traffic types.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For what it's worth I had about 8 of their Wave 1 AC product (AP230) installed in an office environment, spent a year on-and-off with support trying to tweak the radio performance and always having random issues with passing multicast traffic or data rates dropping through the floor, replaced them all with cheap Aruba AP-303 devices and the difference is night and day. Yes I have lost features, only some of which I used, but the complaints have stopped completely.

The final straw was a six week long case I had open with support where private PSKs stored on the cloud would randomly not authenticate, but PPSKs stored in the APs worked fine. Gave them packet captures, tried different WAN links, had Aerohive tell me they weren't seeing any issues despite the logs saying that RADIUS auth had failed. The last update on that case was asking me to try again, seeing everything was working fine and then getting an acknowledgement that something had been broken in their cloud service for two months.

They also had the LED in the APs fail early, so 'fixed' it by having it blink once every minute instead of providing a constant feedback of the status of the units, and wouldn't replace the hardware for a fixed revision.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 10, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

It means the bank still has a lien on the house but has no record of any money being paid towards the lien

Nope, it might actually mean the house is free and clear of the debt and the guy now legally owns it outright. I don't know the exact mechanisms, but I know that during the foreclosure fest that was the 2008 meltdown, it turned out that while selling the mortgages to anybody and everybody, banks just lost a shitload of the paperwork and if they can't prove they have the mortgage, it effectively doesn't exist in at least some circumstances.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You would think they had closed those "loopholes" by now?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wibla posted:

You would think they had closed those "loopholes" by now?

I mean, at the end of the day the bank has to prove you owe them money. It's just a matter of if you have the resources to get to the point of them having to do it in court.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Fellow work-from-home types: anyone have a recommendation for a stereo Bluetooth headset? I'm trying to find something comfortable enough to wear all day, with enough battery life to wear all day, a mic that doesn't pick up too much background noise, and with a hard mute button, so I don't have to unlock my phone before I interrupt someone and tell them that we're definitely not doing what they want. Oh, and I have a big fat head, so I'm looking for something without too much clamping force, too. Currently I'm looking at the Jabra Evolve 75 or Plantronics Voyager 8200, and leaning toward the Plantronics.

I got the Plantronics 8200 recently, and love it. Very comfortable to wear, the ANC is comfortable and works well, sound quality is great, battery time is amazing.
None of the Jabra I tried recently has as good fit or sound clarity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dell publish a really nice guide for the minimum/maximum rail spacing that their various rack mount options support

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/business~solutions~engineering-docs~en/documents~rail-rack-matrix.pdf

Does anybody know if there's an HPE equivalent? Specifically the rails 663201-B21, which are for a DL360 Gen9 (SFF, ball bearing).

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
My boss is asking me to find a platform for live event streaming. Anyone have any recommendations for what might work for a small university that is only going to stream 15-20 times a year to a pretty small audience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

funmanguy posted:

My boss is asking me to find a platform for live event streaming. Anyone have any recommendations for what might work for a small university that is only going to stream 15-20 times a year to a pretty small audience.

Twitch.tv

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

funmanguy posted:

Vimeo is like 70 bucks a month.

We use Ooyala but you pay out your rear end for it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

LochNessMonster posted:

Vimeo is like 70 bucks a month.

We use Ooyala but you pay out your rear end for it.

Some background info, we have used DaCast for like 5 years, now we installed a bunch of Extron gear for streaming elsewhere and DaCast isn't supported in Extron Land.

so gently caress

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

funmanguy posted:

I think Zoom has a Webinar casting plan; been really happy with their offering for general conferencing

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

funmanguy posted:

We just dump the livestreaming events onto youtube live and it works, given the low volumes i would give it a shot in a testing enviroment(book the room you want to cast and have some people log in remotely from the campus) and see if it fits the bill. Just remember to set the livestreams as link-only.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

SlowBloke posted:

We just dump the livestreaming events onto youtube live and it works, given the low volumes i would give it a shot in a testing enviroment(book the room you want to cast and have some people log in remotely from the campus) and see if it fits the bill. Just remember to set the livestreams as link-only.

We want it embedded on the university page, which requires ads to be enabled.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Unironically this or YouTube are the easy answers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://vimeo.com/features/livestreaming

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

funmanguy posted:

YouTube is probably best if you don't want to be streaming on a primarily gamer's platform. Both should do embedded video streaming too.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nthing YouTube, works great for our sportsball games

e: No idea about ads though. I don't think we embed anywhere

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

funmanguy posted:

Are you going to be streaming a camera input or doing like a screen capture style thing? I have some experience using OBS for streaming so I could offer some pointers on that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

Am I wrong in viewing Service Now as purely a ticketing system for IT?

Service Now doesn't just do ticketing poorly, it can do just about EVERYTHING poorly.

Tab8715 posted:

Like Sharepoint! :suicide:

It's poo poo. There's this new model of products that do EVERRRYYTTTHINNGGG, and they're all terrible. ServiceNow is absurdly powerful and flexible at the cost of usability and an absolute need to be a crack process developer to actually utilize it as a value add instead of it being a lovely obstacle to everything. Gfl.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I really dislike the (new?) trend of putting chat into everything and not having a way to turn it off. We use Hangouts Chat for IM, there's no need for our softphones to also have a chat function built in.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I really dislike the (new?) trend of putting chat into everything and not having a way to turn it off. We use Hangouts Chat for IM, there's no need for our softphones to also have a chat function built in.

Be happy they didn't incorporate an email client. Written in electron. That runs all the time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why should I hate electron?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

It shows pretty pictures. No reason to hate electron whatsoever.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tab8715 posted:

It's basically nodeJS + Chromium as a framework for building desktop/mobile apps.

If you have a web app that you're looking to turn in to a local app Electron makes it pretty simple. The downside is that apps made with it tend to be fairly heavy on memory and to a lesser extent CPU. Also it has all the baggage associated with the Javascript/nodeJS community. Make your own judgement from there.

I'd rather things not see Javascript used outside the browser all else being equal, but I also don't bitch too much and three of my most used apps (Atom, Discord, Slack) are all Electron based.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

wolrah posted:

(Atom, Discord, Slack)

Spotted the guy with the Xeon W-3175X.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’m unsure what to do with one of my users.

She got a brand new Dell latitude laptop (don’t have exact model but she beefed everything up) and is complaining the fans are too loud.

She consistently leaves SAS on along with tons of word and excel files, also R Studio and other stats software. Never reboots. Leaves browsers open.

I told her that’s kinda normal when you’re stressing a CPU out.

Am I wrong? I feel like if you wanna do all this crazy math stuff maybe you should have gotten a desktop build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Isn’t Teams and VS Code also electron?