Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have half a hog my friend raised coming Monday and I’m so excited to make bacon again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery
It seems like it would be difficult to raise half a hog.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I eat baby skin posted:

I half to admit, thanks for that chuckle today. :v:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

That Works posted:

Thanks all for the tips on the turkey spatchcock in the MES30.

It did cook super quickly. I ended up carving it and basting the white meat afterwards with a little salt and butter melted with some of the lemon that got smoked along with the cavity. It worked out well. Didn't get pics because I was doing a lot of other cooking and prep for a ~25 person party.

One thing that was surprising was the smoke still came out pretty thick and black and left the skin fairly bitter and not good to look at. I've traditionally done 2x 20+lb turkeys in a charcoal smoker overnight and they come out black but taste great. I was just sorta expecting a quick spatchcocked one in the MES30 to be not so dark. I used pecan wood chunks, got some going 30 mins before putting the bird in as the smoker got up to temp. The initial wood was dry and after the 1st hour I switched over to chips that had been soaking for around 2h or more. I fed chips in every 1 to 1.5 hrs. This was my 1st time using the MES30.

The pork shoulder I threw in also was just totally sooty and blackened. I did the break-in procedure on the smoker as instructed before using. What did I do wrong? Fortunately everything still came out super tasty and was all well cooked, but wondering if I can do better next time.

Your black and sooty problem may have been from soaking the wood first. You really do not need to. The smoker pretty much has to heat away that water before it can burn it for the smoke you want. In a Charcoal or higher temp fire that isn't so bad but with the lower temps of the MES you will get more "bad" smoke.

Also be careful that if you are using wood for construction stuff that it does not have "treating" on it or glue in it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I eat baby skin posted:

Seems like it would be extra lean

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Seems like it would be extra lean

It might be off-balanced.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

I eat baby skin posted:

At least he's not going whole hog.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sterster posted:

At least he's not going whole hog.

If there were only someway to cure these posts.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Got a full prime packer brisket in the fridge I'm gonna throw on my Kettle tomorrow.

Any thoughts on technique? I've been just doing the point with a salt/pepper rub on top of mustard. Kinda bored with it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I envy you yanks and your cheap brisket. You can't get a packer here unless you order well ahead of time from a butcher, and the price is stupidly prohibitive.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Canuckistan posted:

I envy you yanks and your cheap brisket. You can't get a packer here unless you order well ahead of time from a butcher, and the price is stupidly prohibitive.

There are disastrous consequences for our cheap and readily available beef. Both health- and environment-related.

But yes it’s pretty great!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Canuckistan posted:

$48.33 for 15 elbows of USDA Prime deliciousness. I had about ten to pick from :murica:

I'll carve the flat into cubes for chili and the point will feed 5-8 people easily. We're spoiled rotten.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Canuckistan posted:

My butcher actually had some in stock this week, but it was still about $9/lb untrimmed.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

revmoo posted:

$48.33 for 15 elbows of USDA Prime deliciousness. I had about ten to pick from :murica:

I'll carve the flat into cubes for chili and the point will feed 5-8 people easily. We're spoiled rotten.

The 15 elbows thing confused the poo poo outta me at first.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hickory smoked horse elbows

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

revmoo posted:

Hickory smoked horse elbows

Keep your elbows out of my buttholes!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Trastion posted:

Keep your elbows out of my buttholes!

Wrap them in the butcher paper first. Let the butthole rest for an hour in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels. Use pecan.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
You goons have any advice on a wsm 22"vs. the 18"? I've been following this thread and done some real nice cooks on my Weber 22 grill + Slow and Sear but I want some more capacity for cookouts. I've read that the 22" runs hot, but maybe not if you know what you're doing? Is there a real big difference between the cookers?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hub Dirt posted:

You goons have any advice on a wsm 22"vs. the 18"? I've been following this thread and done some real nice cooks on my Weber 22 grill + Slow and Sear but I want some more capacity for cookouts. I've read that the 22" runs hot, but maybe not if you know what you're doing? Is there a real big difference between the cookers?

I don't have much of a problem with temp control on my 22". Once you get it seasoned, take measures to fix any major airflows issues (the door can be a problem for some, as an example), it can take care of itself fairly well. I put a lid over my water pan and just keep that empty and covered in foil. So far that has worked well.

The biggest difference between the two is how much more fuel the 22" takes, at least in my experience having cooked on both.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

qutius posted:

I don't have much of a problem with temp control on my 22". Once you get it seasoned, take measures to fix any major airflows issues (the door can be a problem for some, as an example), it can take care of itself fairly well. I put a lid over my water pan and just keep that empty and covered in foil. So far that has worked well.

The biggest difference between the two is how much more fuel the 22" takes, at least in my experience having cooked on both.

I have a 22" and I don't use my water pan either. Once you learn the quirks of your smoker you can keep it going just fine. For example, my door is leaky as hell, but if I keep my vents at 100% closed/90%/90% then it can truck right along low and slow.

That said, I did get a Party Q BBQ controller but I've not had a chance to try it out yet. I'm hoping that this will let me get a full night sleep when doing overnight cooks.

Fuel is the biggest thing for sure. It eats charcoal like crazy. I do a big cook a few times a year where I'll want 10 racks of ribs or 6 butts so I went with the 22, but if it was just for my family the 18 would have been fine. In fact I got a weber kettle last year and I'll use that if I want to do something small like a single prime rib roast or a few beef ribs.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Hub Dirt posted:

I have the 18" and have never used the 22", but whichever one you get, here are a few upgrades I did to mine that made a huge difference with leaks, efficiency and controlling temps. I would do all of these again in a heartbeat.

Cajun Bandit Steel Door
Compression Latch
WSM Gasket Kit
Water Pan Lid (More about convenience than function)

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Canuckistan posted:

I have a 22" and I don't use my water pan either. Once you learn the quirks of your smoker you can keep it going just fine. For example, my door is leaky as hell, but if I keep my vents at 100% closed/90%/90% then it can truck right along low and slow.

That said, I did get a Party Q BBQ controller but I've not had a chance to try it out yet. I'm hoping that this will let me get a full night sleep when doing overnight cooks.

Fuel is the biggest thing for sure. It eats charcoal like crazy. I do a big cook a few times a year where I'll want 10 racks of ribs or 6 butts so I went with the 22, but if it was just for my family the 18 would have been fine. In fact I got a weber kettle last year and I'll use that if I want to do something small like a single prime rib roast or a few beef ribs.

I go back and forth on adding a controller or just upgrading entirely to something like the Camp Chef Woodwind. Once you get that controller installed, it would be great to hear what you think of it as it sounds like we roll the same way with the WSM.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you have the 18", you have to cut up rib racks like a heathen. The 22" can squeeze three full racks per level.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

If you have the 18", you have to cut up rib racks like a heathen. The 22" can squeeze three full racks per level.

5 with a rib rack. That's a lot of ribs..

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Ribs are definitely a little tricky on the 18" but manageable, and it fits a trimmed packer from Costco so it hasn't really held me back for the size of the cooks I'm usually doing.

I could see myself getting a 22" sometime in the future but I would probably still use my 18" for most things.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
18" barely fits a ~10lb(after trimming) packer brisket. That's my only complaint about it.

I have a DigiQ BBQ controller on it and I love it. It's cheating but I've done enough overnight smokers before it to feel like I've put my time in; I've earned my stripes and can comfortably use it without guilt.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

18" barely fits a ~10lb(after trimming) packer brisket. That's my only complaint about it.

I have a DigiQ BBQ controller on it and I love it. It's cheating but I've done enough overnight smokers before it to feel like I've put my time in; I've earned my stripes and can comfortably use it without guilt.

Yeah, I usually buy 12-13lb packers and trim to around 10lb so that sounds right.

I did the same thing with mine but with a Heatermeter. I have done several overnight and all day cooks before getting the HM. I don't always use and I never feel guilty when I do.

I can't get behind the pellet smokers though. My next smoker will either be a 22" or a proper offset.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

MES set to 260.

Thermapro says 195.

Is MES thermo that bad?

Should I try to get a replacement?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TheReverend posted:

MES set to 260.

Thermapro says 195.

Is MES thermo that bad?

Boil some water to double check, its 212 by definition unless you are at altitude. Also easy to take a picture and send to customer support.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheReverend posted:

MES set to 260.

Thermapro says 195.

Is MES thermo that bad?

Wouldn't say it is great but its not that bad either. Ten degrees off is what I think mine is.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Mine runs about 10 degrees hot.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

TheReverend posted:

MES set to 260.

Thermapro says 195.

Is MES thermo that bad?

Clean your smoker, maybe the probe is dirty

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

It's only the third time I've used it. Where is it? I clean it after every smoke.

Anyways after I came to bitch the differential was only 15 degrees so maybe just an outlier.

Anyways, tried making pastrami from corned beef. I think it cane out ok. Would be better if I had a deli slicer.

Can one of y'all hook me up with the smoked duck secrets? Gonna try that next.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is this your first smoker? Are you using an AMNPS in there?

Get a big cheap pork shoulder and let that thing rip for like 16 hours or however long until done.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I would wait on duck until you get your temperatures down. Listen to the poster above and do a pork shoulder, it's very forgiving.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

TheReverend posted:

It's only the third time I've used it. Where is it? I clean it after every smoke.

Anyways after I came to bitch the differential was only 15 degrees so maybe just an outlier.

Anyways, tried making pastrami from corned beef. I think it cane out ok. Would be better if I had a deli slicer.

Can one of y'all hook me up with the smoked duck secrets? Gonna try that next.

If it's that new and that bad i would contact mastetbuilt. If the problem can't be fixed they may send you a new temperature controller

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hed posted:

I have half a hog my friend raised coming Monday and I’m so excited to make bacon again!

This post seems NSFW.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Has anyone with a Traeger/pellet grill used gasket tape on the lid? I've got a gap of maybe 1/8" in places along the top of the lid and there's always a couple of big smoke stains there after I've finished a cook.

My reasoning is that by sealing these gaps, the smoke will properly circulate before it's vented, plus I'm not letting heat escape therefore improving fuel efficiency. Does this logic make sense?

I'm expecting an AMNPS to arrive soon so I'll be able to add more smoke to my cooks. I'm also curious to see if I can find a good combo as far as pellets and sawdust goes.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Fall Dog posted:

Has anyone with a Traeger/pellet grill used gasket tape on the lid? I've got a gap of maybe 1/8" in places along the top of the lid and there's always a couple of big smoke stains there after I've finished a cook.

My reasoning is that by sealing these gaps, the smoke will properly circulate before it's vented, plus I'm not letting heat escape therefore improving fuel efficiency. Does this logic make sense?

I'm expecting an AMNPS to arrive soon so I'll be able to add more smoke to my cooks. I'm also curious to see if I can find a good combo as far as pellets and sawdust goes.

I don't have much experience with pellet, but my wood smoker at work had seal issues. We solved this by adding more pecan and white oak for my meats. I really don't worry about my seals are my restaurant. I just adjust my smoke time and add more wood. Works out when you smoke trout, shoulders, pork belly, and monster sized 20#+ briskets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fall Dog posted:

It's just thermodynamics. Just like leaving a door open in your house while trying to heat it. Of course it's going to be more efficient if you seat the door/gaps better. I put them on my door when I bought it (propane and different smoker anyway), so not sure how much difference it made, but it won't hurt.