Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Really looking forward to the infinite uzi. Just double checked the requirements. gently caress. I'm at 3:28 and just done craney D: I guess that'll be a goal for the next run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Because it's really bad.

It also has a bug in the Bone version where it can reliably hardlock for some users for unknown reasons early on in the game that has not and will never be patched.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I don't watch Speedruns and this might be common knowledge now, but I figured out that if you stand in this spot when facing off against Birkin #2, just before opening the Sewer door for Ada/Sherry, then he can never hit you. He always attacks the same spot shown in this pic. Might help people if they hate this part. And they should hate it. If you don't exploit it, you're guaranteed to take damage. It's probably the worst part in a game full of otherwise good design.

even simpler you can wedge yourself on that little indent to the left of the door G bursts through to make an exit

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I played RE0 for the first time recently and found it super duper stupid (even for these games), and annoying in spots, but overall pretty breezy and entertaining. I'd put it below RE5 and above Rev1 in my personal rankings. It's like a sloppier RE1Remake. In a way the co-op partner switching stuff was the start of modern RE.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Barudak posted:

It also has a bug in the Bone version where it can reliably hardlock for some users for unknown reasons early on in the game that has not and will never be patched.

i guess the 3 people playing RE0 on the xbone will just have to play around it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RME posted:

i guess the 3 people playing RE0 on the xbone will just have to play around it

Nope, it happens during a mandatory screen transition.

And it was free on Gamepass so a shitload of people found it out that way.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sponges posted:

Nobody is bringing up RE0. I swear no one played that game.

The leech monsters were such bland and unsatisfying enemies to fight that it made perfect sense to make every non-boss enemy in RE 7 exactly like them.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked the musical sting that accompanied their entrance, and their noodley walk as they shambled towards you.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Everyone mentioning Revelations 1 is making me miss the raid mode in that game. Too bad I was so bad at the dodging in it.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
RE0 is definitely the worst of the old style REs. I can't say it's my least favorite in a world where RE6 exists, but yeesh. The gameplay is pretty bog standard except for the goddamn atrocious inventory system, but the story is so bonkers batshit stupid. Did anyone really care about Umbrella's origins? It was like Capcom said, "Here's some answers to questions no one was asking, and also it doesn't really answer them and creates even more ridiculous convoluted poo poo."

I also really don't understand why they didn't focus on Bravo team, and have Richard be Rebecca's partner. Gives it more of a punch when he eats in RE1. Billy is kinda lame and his tattoos are dumb and I'm pretty sure people only like him because of darkid's lp. It's really just a disappointing and aggressively bland game all around

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vakal posted:

The leech monsters were such bland and unsatisfying enemies to fight that it made perfect sense to make every non-boss enemy in RE 7 exactly like them.

IDK, the leeches were kinda lame but I really liked the mold monsters.

The stupid millipede neck monsters from 4 and 5 were impossibly lame and yeah yeah yeah 4 is great or whatever, but it's not a horror game. The plagas monsters were just so goofy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

RE0 is definitely the worst of the old style REs. I can't say it's my least favorite in a world where RE6 exists, but yeesh. The gameplay is pretty bog standard except for the goddamn atrocious inventory system, but the story is so bonkers batshit stupid. Did anyone really care about Umbrella's origins? It was like Capcom said, "Here's some answers to questions no one was asking, and also it doesn't really answer them and creates even more ridiculous convoluted poo poo."

I also really don't understand why they didn't focus on Bravo team, and have Richard be Rebecca's partner. Gives it more of a punch when he eats in RE1. Billy is kinda lame and his tattoos are dumb and I'm pretty sure people only like him because of darkid's lp. It's really just a disappointing and aggressively bland game all around

What I really don't get about its story is how between the extra notes in RE2 N64 and Gamecube, and the entire game of Code Veronica, like you learn everything else you could possibly want to know about the T-virus, umbrella forming, etc. So it wasn't even like any questions that actually mattered like who invented the t-virus and who was patient zero or when was Umbrella formed or whatever other stuff hadn't already been answered for years.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

IDK, the leeches were kinda lame but I really liked the mold monsters.

The stupid millipede neck monsters from 4 and 5 were impossibly lame and yeah yeah yeah 4 is great or whatever, but it's not a horror game. The plagas monsters were just so goofy.

Plus this the leeches were insanely lame. I hated in the mold monsters in 7 too though though I think that was more due to the feedback when fighting them not being very satisfying. The leeches were just bland beyond bland but the mold monsters at least could have been better. The leeches were just unsalvagable.

The neck monsters in 4 fuckin' ruled because they don't appear for a while and when they do it's not like a super major event it's just like, wait what? Plus they had all the cool one hit kill moves they could do if your life was at, uh, 1/4 or less I think? 1/3? And the feedback was great and I liked that you could just own them with flash grenades instantly too.

Were there other one hit kills that could only happen if your life was low? I remember the monks with scythes could throw them at you from a distance which fuckin' owned.

Still if monster goofiness is a thing, I mean by that definition RE2 isn't a horror game either thanks to the lickers and the walking plant/flower enemies in the lab. :haw:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 9, 2019

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Some of these extra character tofu runs are loving hard as balls. Annin tofu especially for me.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What's the proper way of dealing with the first birkin encounter on Leon A hardcore? Do I only shoot the giant eye when it's opened? Ran out of knives somehow

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All I remember of RE0 is a guy effectively screaming 'I'M COVERED IN LEECHES' and then exploding after singing opera. Did anything else happen in it?

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

All I remember of RE0 is a guy effectively screaming 'I'M COVERED IN LEECHES' and then exploding after singing opera. Did anything else happen in it?

Turns out Umbrella could actually bend spacetime and had a facility that somehow in existed in two places simultaneously

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

poe meater posted:

Ran out of knives somehow

My entire B run has basically been a case of knifeless, or have one for a moment and instantly lose it in defense. At least I'm going into the second part of the lab with 30 mag ammo and 600 fuel

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The “meh” plot aside, the only thing that stops me from ever wanting to replay RE0 is the astonishingly stupid inventory system. The partner zapping system and the graphics were pretty awesome back in the day on the GameCube, and the voice acting was noticeably better than the games that preceded it. Even back then though the inventory system was a huge drag on the game.

Rebecca’s characterisation didn’t meld at all with RE1 either. After the events of RE0 she should be a grizzled hardass in RE1 - Chris should not have to rescue her cowering in terror from a single hunter given she’s already faced numerous hunters and a goddamn tyrant.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Just started adas section again.
Gf: why are you this trashy lady all of a sudden?
Me: she's Ada. The secret agent
Gf: is she secretly a prostitute?

I'm not normally the kind of person who finds incongruously-dressed characters funny, but my friend and I that played through Leon A together would occasionally take shots at Ada, the only person out of the main characters who could've reasonably known she was walking into this situation and chose to do it in heels (with nothing but a single handgun and 9 bullets to spare).

I also agree that G2 is a bad fight; it's the exact kind of thing that makes for a bad survival horror boss fight

Overall this game whips rear end tho

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Billy and Rebecca fight giant <insert animal here> while Wesker and Birkin have the lamest Saturday night known to man.

I wanted to like RE0 but it's very obvious that they ran out of steam and ideas to differentiate the game enough from REmake after the train. None of the new enemies are particularly interesting, ESPECIALLY Eliminators, and the training facility and... Lab? Factory? Whatever it is, is so dull and bland. Everything post-train sucks.

Also gently caress the grappling hook gun.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I appreciate that they put an the HD version of it on the PS4, but the best version of RE0 is the levels in Umbrella Chronicles.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

One of the only things I can recall from O is constantly having to move things around in the inventory. It was endless.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had to leave a herb, small and large gunpowder and shellgun shots in the basement of the lab, once again cause of my awful inventory management/planning. Finally unleashed the mag on those two drat lickers though. For some reason they made me the most tense of anything so far, and this is my third scenario.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

DeadButDelicious posted:

Billy and Rebecca fight giant <insert animal here> while Wesker and Birkin have the lamest Saturday night known to man.

I wanted to like RE0 but it's very obvious that they ran out of steam and ideas to differentiate the game enough from REmake after the train. None of the new enemies are particularly interesting, ESPECIALLY Eliminators, and the training facility and... Lab? Factory? Whatever it is, is so dull and bland. Everything post-train sucks.

Also gently caress the grappling hook gun.

Yeah this. They clearly had the train idea, realized it wasn't enough to carry an entire game, then were like, "uh they go another mansion, I guess?"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

You make a good point. The game would probably have been better served with a story simply about how Bravo team got wrecked. Like, mess with players' expectations and have a playable character actually able to just die, after which you're stuck playing Rebecca until you find a new partner. Given that Rebecca is a medic, you could maybe also expand the survival horror thing to ensuring other people's (temporary) survival. Like, you patch up Forest and tell him to rest a bit, and then later he shows up to provide support against a boss or whatever.

Yeah this. They clearly had the train idea, realized it wasn't enough to carry an entire game, then were like, "uh they go another mansion, I guess?"
A large hunting lodge/camping grounds/the forest could have been a cool environment.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 9, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just remembered I got hammered around Halloween '17 and bought a bundle of all of the RE games on PS4 and only played REmake.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RE 0 started as a N64 exclusive game and it looks like they had the train section finished and some of the mansion before scrapping it and starting to work on the gamecube version.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok bit of a kneejerk reaction post here but god drat, the creators of this should have been forced to play about 500 hours of Dark Souls before coming up with the movement mechanics for this. 2 deaths to super X floor claw charge now because, what, Leon cant run faster than 0 millimeters per decade? Its a good thing I like this fuckin music

e: 3 deaths. Think I got it figured out, run circles around his weak arm and he will just swipe and miss constantly. He starts the wind up, I'll try getting close to him this time and staying behind him! Nope. Leon is Captain Impale-o once again

e: I'm an idiot! forgot you could discourage this attack with various forms of artillery to the face

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 9, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I still get hit a lot because for some reason I think there's like a last minute dodge button but lolnope. I don't know why I keep thinking I can dodge. Every. Time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know some people have lives too, work, etc so I guess we oughta still spoiler. Saved all kinds of ammo for the final battle, jesus that was easy. Used about half my fuel, emptied one pea shooter clip into the first eye of sauron, then finished him off with the magnum. Thought I was about to die actually but the cutscene triggered, I guess the flame damage put him over the edge.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Woo, eat poo poo game. Beat the hardcore S+ with 2:23. God drat my hands were shaking in that last fight. I went in with 12 shotgun rounds and a full flamethrower plus 5 full healing items and just barely made it out. Think I need to improve my dodge game maybe? I ended up burning all 3 of my saves before ever hitting the lab though so had to that entire chunk plus the two bosses knowing I'd have to do it all again which I would not recommend.

Thanks for the advice on the G mutants btw the people who gave it yesterday, it was just that I was trying to rush em and that was ending up making it take longer and/or making me take shitloads more damage than I should have been. As soon as I went in and really thought about it, it was easy. I think I'll have an easier time with Claire when I get round to doing that, I'm more confident with her arsenal and now I know I can do it I can push further without saving and have an easier time in the later parts. Will probably have that done by the time this free dlc is out at the end of this week.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So yesterday I was saying how much I was hosed with very little resources. Man I barely escaped with barely any health but my god was I glad when the cutscene kicked in. Still in Leon A and boy do I barely remember anything from old RE2.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pomp posted:

This is just onimusha

Already said I had forgotten about it, but doing in a medieval European setting would still be cool imo

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"Hold it sonny, you can't come in here dressed like that."

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Beat the RE2 story as Claire and planning on doing the side B with Leon later, but forgot I bought Revelation 2 on the PS4. I remember liking it when I played it, but it been a few years since the last time I touched the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I got owned in Hunk when a corpse fell on me after a headshot which chained into a zombie grab which hosed up a good run.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Despite all the nay-saying nonsense, RE5 & RE6 are in fact perfectly serviceable games but you really, really need a co-op buddy to get the best out of them. RE6 is a beautiful mess in the campaigns with way too much focus on a lot of setpiece bollocks and sudden strings of cutscene interruptions but Mercenaries is deserving of all the praise, it's just so loving good. RE5 is a more coherent experience but it can be exceptionally awful at times if playing solo because the AI partner can and will waste supplies on a whim and get itself killed in avoidable, stupid ways.
I vaguely remember that RE5 got a lot easier for me when I handed the bolt action rifle to the AI rather than clinging to it for "But what if I need to snipe something!?" reasons.

Which really fit into the niche of "The AI mostly takes lazy potshots", and at least felt like it's extra range helped smooth out the AI issues. Doesn't hurt it's dirt cheap to upgrade.

Sure the AI doesn't try to go exclusively for headshots. But I'd rather they regularly shoot enemies in the dick with a 1,000+ damage rifle than stare blankly with a shotgun.

In Training posted:

He's interrupted them for me before, it can happen

My only Mister X related deaths are when I was going for the records room, and a fresh window zombie bust into the records room to grab me, and mister X punched me to death through my "Fine" status before I even got the defense item prompt :v: (More than once :saddowns:)

You're drat right I went back for revenge against that zombie along the way for the Magnum upgrades (and the hand grenade I left behind in there).

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just got the infinite SMG and doing a normal run with it is so cathartic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Now i regret playing on ps4

https://twitter.com/glycopoeia/status/1093326743455367168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Finished Tofu. Unlocked some of his buddies. Don't think I will tire of Konjacs screaming.