Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Fallen Hamprince posted:

lol if the creators used the marx anime to sneak some softcore yaoi past the censors

hogwash, it is - at most - shounen-ai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mandoric posted:

low fps is the 'we tried our hardest to make it look good' choice, it's extra work over high fps

It doesn’t look like they didn’t try, it just looks weird.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mixed 3D and 2D is always jarring because it's so aesthetically inconsistent it gives whiplash. The only exception for this is an art direction that justifies the use of mixed media to make things more interesting, but this was just a cheap stopgap because drawing walk cycles was too hard, apparently.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The funny part is that a huge chuck of todays' in-between animation work for Japanese Anime Studios is actually outsourced to China (and Korea).

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jose posted:

post the idiot file

*News reporter voice*

"But little did Jose know, he was already posting in it"

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this the thread where I can admit I'm excited for China to take over pop culture, because American pop culture sucks?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/9/1...ravity-the-core

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Sadly the bourgeois-colonial films of 1970s-1990s Hong Kong were far superior to modern Chicom films, being some of the best films ever made. I'm legitimately sad that the Hong Kong New Wave-era is gone and never coming back.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kobayashi posted:

Is this the thread where I can admit I'm excited for China to take over pop culture, because American pop culture sucks?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/9/1...ravity-the-core

It'll be nice to have epic sci fi films again that don't depend on the ultimate solution being some bullshit like love or family. All good Western scifi is way too limited in scope compared to only a few decades ago.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
The one good recent American sci-fi film, Annihilation, was good because it emulated Soviet cinema.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Graphic posted:

The one good recent American sci-fi film, Annihilation, was good because it emulated Soviet cinema.

Sorry to Bother You is scifi. :colbert:

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I didn't watch it yet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Looking over the list of sci fi movies that came out recently, Prospect looks like it could be good but I hadn''t seen or heard of it before. It really is just a dire state in media, and anything good that comes out isn't available for at least half of the country. I'd have to go on a road trip just to see The Wandering Earth in a theater.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sorry to Bother You is scifi. :colbert:

I liked Sorry to Bother You because it actually shows the Oakland tent cities, and the horse dongs.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Graphic posted:

It was so-so, :colbert: with a bad plot and nice visuals. I'm excited for Claire Denis' High Life though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtOwfo1ypOw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Graphic posted:

could you expand on this a bit please

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

i say swears online posted:

It share superficial characteristics with Stalker.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Graphic posted:

Sadly the bourgeois-colonial films of 1970s-1990s Hong Kong were far superior to modern Chicom films, being some of the best films ever made. I'm legitimately sad that the Hong Kong New Wave-era is gone and never coming back.

Masterpieces such as this Ted Cruz documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtFsIQsFY04

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

If you remove the stupid interludes where Portman is explaining what happened to the government scientist*, it's basically a Tarkovsky movie.

It's not just "superficial" similarities to Stalker, but tonal and subtextual similarities to not only Stalker but Solaris as well, and Soviet science fiction in general.

* (I assume those were shoehorned in by the studio because Americans are dumber than Russians)

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

etalian posted:

Masterpieces such as this Ted Cruz documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtFsIQsFY04

Yeah. That and heroic bloodshed films, the Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao films, and Tsui Hark.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

I liked Sorry to Bother You because it actually shows the Oakland tent cities, and the horse dongs.
Freddy Got Fingered showed horse dongs too

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I saw a movie where this girl wished her brother wasnt her brother cuz he was a dick and then her brother became this other girl's brother and she realized how important he was and that he was just trying to protect her family or something, and he got her a bike.

It was really cute and I enjoyed it, strongly recommend.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Graphic posted:

If you remove the stupid interludes where Portman is explaining what happened to the government scientist*, it's basically a Tarkovsky movie.

It's not just "superficial" similarities to Stalker, but tonal and subtextual similarities to not only Stalker but Solaris as well, and Soviet science fiction in general.

* (I assume those were shoehorned in by the studio because Americans are dumber than Russians)

There's one scene in Solaris in which a group of scientists and functionaries interviews a pilot who has flown above the sea of Solaris, in which he accounts for
a strange vision or mirage, apart from that I don't think they are very similar. (The scene in question.)

I can't think of a single thing Annihilation and Stalker have in common except for the mysterious zone, and the protagonists quests to the centre of it. How they enter, what they encounter as they progress, and what exists in that centre is wildly different. Not to speak of formal questions such as editing and framing. I haven't seen Annihilation since it was released so maby I'm forgetting something?

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
You could also be thick, there's that possibility.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Graphic posted:

You could also be thick, there's that possibility.

Nice bro.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

Freddy Got Fingered showed horse dongs too

Freddy Got Fingered is a masterpiece in utilizing Marxian thought to disassemble the ludicrousness inherent in capitalist entertainment. In this thread, I will explain how. 1/42

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Graphic posted:

Taiwan is dead too but it's new wave and new new wave ruled

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Graphic posted:

I wouldn't go this far but yeah it breaks the hollywood action - sci fi mold a lil bit

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Actually a big sign that cinema is in trouble is that Chinese film schools are moving over to study hollywood films and systems and giving up studying the soviets and their films. I mean it makes sense to give up the soviet model but the hollywood model is kinda incompatible with chinese film making so it's gunna be a mess for a long time

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Modest Mao posted:

Actually a big sign that cinema is in trouble is that Chinese film schools are moving over to study hollywood films and systems and giving up studying the soviets and their films. I mean it makes sense to give up the soviet model but the hollywood model is kinda incompatible with chinese film making so it's gunna be a mess for a long time

wasn't the warcraft movie a big hit in mainland china?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fallen Hamprince posted:

yeah it made oodles

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

my colleague at my last job was very excited about it because her first job out of college was selling gold on world of warcraft lmao

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean in trouble as far as a medium of human expression not financial investment

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
like how theater was once a medium of the masses and now it's for affluent shut ins,

that's what cinema is gunna end up as. I guess like fine art and orchestral music did as well. It's lost its capability to reach people forever. That's why there's festivals and then there's distribution

But it's good entertainment so it'll live on in that form. Much like orchestral music lived on in film. But no more human expression, dear me no

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Actually idk if the masses were ever into going to the orchestra maybe that's been 100% pure affluent shut-in since inception

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Graphic posted:

I still need to watch that. I liked Ex Machina by the same director

--

oh poo poo he wrote the screenplays for Dredd and 28 Days Later too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Modest Mao posted:

like how theater was once a medium of the masses and now it's for affluent shut ins,

that's what cinema is gunna end up as. I guess like fine art and orchestral music did as well. It's lost its capability to reach people forever. That's why there's festivals and then there's distribution

But it's good entertainment so it'll live on in that form. Much like orchestral music lived on in film. But no more human expression, dear me no

Musical theatre too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I still need to watch that. I liked Ex Machina by the same director

--

oh poo poo he wrote the screenplays for Dredd and 28 Days Later too

Whoa, ex machina and annihilation are a couple of the only scifi movies i've liked in the last few years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Whoa, ex machina and annihilation are a couple of the only scifi movies i've liked in the last few years

Source Code

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah, alex garland. he also wrote the beach, which is a pretty good book and an absolutely terrible movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah, alex garland. he also wrote the beach, which is a pretty good book and an absolutely terrible movie.

hey, shirtless leo