Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hirsute posted:

Yeah alphabetical order is the only thing that makes sense to me. I have a separate section for box sets but that's alphabetical too, by title of the set or name of the actor/director. Only thing I can't make up my mind on is whether to put films from the same series together even if their titles are pretty different. Like, should I put Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes together? They're not currently but it's kind of bothering me!

Always put franchises together. I got Army of Darkness in E, all the Apes in P. Now just to make sure, we all agree that you never file anything under “A” or “The”, right? A Quiet Place goes under Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hirsute posted:

Only thing I can't make up my mind on is whether to put films from the same series together even if their titles are pretty different. Like, should I put Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes together? They're not currently but it's kind of bothering me!

This is why I went with genre over alphabetical. All my Aliens, Godzillas, Star Trek/Wars, etc are together even though alphabetically they should be scattered all over. I also group by director/lead within genres when possible, so all the Jackie Chan action movies are together, all the John Carpenter horror movies are grouped, etc.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

B-b-but how will your dad find anything for you when you’re laid up with a thrown out back if it’s all sorted by genre?

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Always put franchises together. I got Army of Darkness in E, all the Apes in P. Now just to make sure, we all agree that you never file anything under “A” or “The”, right? A Quiet Place goes under Q.

Oh yeah obviously "A" and "The" don't count as words

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Hirsute posted:

Yeah alphabetical order is the only thing that makes sense to me. I have a separate section for box sets but that's alphabetical too, by title of the set or name of the actor/director. Only thing I can't make up my mind on is whether to put films from the same series together even if their titles are pretty different. Like, should I put Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes together? They're not currently but it's kind of bothering me!

Here's how you order the Planet of the Apes films

Planet of the Apes (Burton)
Planet of the Apes (Schaffner)
Planet of the Apes, Battle for the
Planet of the Apes, Beneath the
Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the
Planet of the Apes, Dawn of the
Planet of the Apes, Escape from the
Planet of the Apes, Rise of the
Planet of the Apes, War for the

Accept no substitutes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For the PotA series I'd file them all under "P" and go chronologically by release (since canon chronology gets wonky with the original series).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I organize alphabetically, but I have a 'to-watch' section separate from the main core for things I haven't gotten around to watching yet.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I put all my dvds and blu rays in a binder two years ago and have yet to open it up since then. Granted I have a separate collection for rare ones but I like it because it’s out of sight out of mind

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Empress Brosephine posted:

I put all my dvds and blu rays in a binder two years ago and have yet to open it up since then. Granted I have a separate collection for rare ones but I like it because it’s out of sight out of mind
Out of sight out of mind is kinda my problem with my current storage; I feel bad that I’ve bought all these things I never watch. If I totally put them away I fear it’ll get even worse. Every time I watch a blu-ray let alone a UHD I’m blown away by how much better they look than streaming.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

david_a posted:

Out of sight out of mind is kinda my problem with my current storage; I feel bad that I’ve bought all these things I never watch. If I totally put them away I fear it’ll get even worse. Every time I watch a blu-ray let alone a UHD I’m blown away by how much better they look than streaming.

Yeah, the last couple days worth of discussion got me to dust-off and reorganize my media shelf. Ended up looking up Vice Principals S2 and when it might be released, and it looks like it will only be released as DVD. So annoying. I hate that Fargo S3 is DVD only and I’m sure Legion S2 will suffer the same fate. And that all sucks because I’m never gonna get full 1080P w/ gently caress off sound via HBO GO or FX NOW.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same with Nathan For You...DVD only.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Vagabundo posted:

Here's how you order the Planet of the Apes films

Planet of the Apes (Burton)
Planet of the Apes (Schaffner)
Planet of the Apes, Battle for the
Planet of the Apes, Beneath the
Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the
Planet of the Apes, Dawn of the
Planet of the Apes, Escape from the
Planet of the Apes, Rise of the
Planet of the Apes, War for the

Accept no substitutes.
For a split second my stoned rear end forgot you dudes were talking about organization and I got really angry at this list.

(Because Conquest is #1. Obviously.)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is why I went with genre over alphabetical. All my Aliens, Godzillas, Star Trek/Wars, etc are together even though alphabetically they should be scattered all over.

Look at this pretender. If you're really serious about genre-sorting, Alien and Aliens shouldn't be on the same shelf, since one is clearly sci-fi-horror and the other is sci-fi-action. :colbert:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Samuel Clemens posted:

Look at this pretender. If you're really serious about genre-sorting, Alien and Aliens shouldn't be on the same shelf, since one is clearly sci-fi-horror and the other is sci-fi-action. :colbert:

You could also file Alien under "good movie" and Aliens under "bad movie"

Crawdad
Feb 26, 2016
I got tired after 25 years of looking at my stuff sorted in alpha, so now I have it by type/genre:

-franchise (TV + movie)
-TV shows
-Children's
-Comedy
-Drama
-Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror

Still have the dramady problem. I found most action movies are dramas at heart.

Oh yeah, and my formats are mixed together, Blu-ray, DVD, VHS :black101:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Just put them in alphabetical order and put the sequels to things behind the first movies of the series, you lunatics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Just put them in alphabetical order and put the sequels to things behind the first movies of the series, you lunatics.
:emptyquote:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm on the spectrum and even I can't be bothered with any of this bullshit.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CPL593H posted:

I'm on the spectrum and even I can't be bothered with any of this bullshit.

2019 thread title?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
My Ikea Billy shelves are as follows

Current top shelf:
Horror
Shakespearean adaptations
NZ cinema (Manaakitia mai, Aotearoa)

Next shelf:
Action
Crime

Next shelf:
Comedy/Musical
Documentary
Noir/Neo-noir
Martial Arts

Next shelf:
Drama
Science fiction
War
Western Animation

Next shelf:
Auteur section, where the Carpenters, Spielbergs, Scorseses, Coens, PTAs, etc. are collected together

Bottom shelf:
Various TV shows

Elsewhere, films and their sequels are placed together in a bunch of other shelves, so the Rocky/Creed franchise is all together, the Godzillas are all together, the MCU films are together, etc. In cases where the first film of a franchise is directed by an auteur with lesser follow-ups, I make that distinction. For example, Halloween II and the recent Halloween are both in the Horror section, while the original Halloween is in the Auteur shelf with the other Carpenters. One will always trump the other.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, the last couple days worth of discussion got me to dust-off and reorganize my media shelf. Ended up looking up Vice Principals S2 and when it might be released, and it looks like it will only be released as DVD. So annoying. I hate that Fargo S3 is DVD only and I’m sure Legion S2 will suffer the same fate. And that all sucks because I’m never gonna get full 1080P w/ gently caress off sound via HBO GO or FX NOW.

I don't understand why things get released on DVD only in TYOOL 2019. The Orville season 1 is also a DVD only release. Like why?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The only proper way to organize is by number of actors on the cover. If there are no actors on the poster then I will not buy the movie!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't understand why things get released on DVD only in TYOOL 2019. The Orville season 1 is also a DVD only release. Like why?

Because retail outlets spent a few years up to their necks in unsold TV seasons when the bottom fell out

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

Who is most likely not to have streaming? Do you think they have a blu-ray player?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Because blu-ray ended up being a niche format and all the squares still have DVD players. Also Fox gave up on releasing their television properties on blu-ray a long time ago and in many case the physical releases all together. I'm still surprised they bothered with the X-Files.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Chronological is superior. That way your library tells the story of film

Alphabetical is for video stores

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Because blu-ray ended up being a niche format and all the squares still have DVD players. Also Fox gave up on releasing their television properties on blu-ray a long time ago and in many case the physical releases all together. I'm still surprised they bothered with the X-Files.

I had thought Fox stopped all physical releases, which is what surprised me first. On the other hand some shows are really niche shows, and I would expect those shows to be much more appealing to a niche format.

As a side note, I really am miffed that Mandy didn't get a UHD release, because that's a movie that really would have benefited from HDR.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Scream Factory blu-rays are 40% off list price with free shipping on orders over 50 dollars now through Friday.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/love-is-in-the-scare

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Chronological is superior. That way your library tells the story of film

Alphabetical is for video stores

How practical/impractical would it be to sort by sku number?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oofa. I'm in save money mode due to Pitchfork Midwinter in Chicago this week but mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, I need Stephen King's crowning jewel of a performance in the Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill in glorious 4k remastered 1080P high definition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One of these days I'm just gonna say gently caress it and spend like $500 on every Shout Factory horror collector's edition on my wish list. One of these days...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really wanna buy Munchies on bluray, it's such a shameless Gremlins rip-off, and gets hilariously offensive when the munchies start talking like east LA cholos (because they come from South America, you see).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-1jN3UhHCM

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Scream Factory blu-rays are 40% off list price with free shipping on orders over 50 dollars now through Friday.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/love-is-in-the-scare

Finally picked up Lifeforce. Can't wait to see, uh, that scene in HD.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I can't remember if I ever watched Munchies or just saw the cardboard standee ad at the local video store my entire childhood.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 12, 2019

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Flicker Alley are also getting in on the UHD bandwagon: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24566

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

One of these days I'm just gonna say gently caress it and spend like $500 on every Shout Factory horror collector's edition on my wish list. One of these days...

Yeah, that's my problem I start looking at these sales and just get paralysis trying to figure out what I should get

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that's my problem I start looking at these sales and just get paralysis trying to figure out what I should get

It was easy for a while when I first discovered the company, like oh yea ok let me just buy every Carpenter film they have, no brainer. Eventually though after a few years what was left was a ton of other movies that I do want, but yea I can never really make the decisions about what to prioritize. Like, for several years now it's been tough to narrow things down to the 1 or 2 purchases that I like to limit myself to during the Halloween season. Pumpkinhead or Tales from the Hood? Day of the Dead or Candyman? Very difficult.

Anyway, I'm off to my adult job that I totally function at and perform at a normal level!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just checked and it's like $250 to get the things I want from the sale. Not bad! :homebrew:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Everyone should get Of Unknown Origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

R.O.T.O.R. is the one you want.