Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

people who generally dislike JRPGs liking persona is always weird to me since they don't exactly avoid most major issues people have with the genre besides the combat elements it pulls from SMT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe they just love visual novels so much that they're willing to overlook the rpg side game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Y'all know y'all can just not like a thing, right? It doesn't require you to act like people with different opinions are just objectively wrong, or get all mad when other people enjoy a thing.

Like, yeah, it sucks when you don't like Popular Thing and don't get why other people do, but some of y'all are weirdly belligerent about it.

Y'all can we not? Its just that y'all be making it A Thing, y'all. Im very chill.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
That person has "Cool and Good" tattooed somewhere in their body.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Motto posted:

people who generally dislike JRPGs liking persona is always weird to me since they don't exactly avoid most major issues people have with the genre besides the combat elements it pulls from SMT

Persona 5 was the first JRPG I played after not playing any for a real long time, but my reason for getting it wasn't purely 'because Persona is an RPG but good', but because I had been wanting to play a SMT game for a real long time.

I don't know what the other Persona games in the series are like in this regard, but P5 I think benefited from being a bit like Chrono Trigger (another game I really should play one of these days), in that you see and engage enemies by your own action, rather than being random encounters determined by number of steps, or a surprise attack/ambush being determined by dice roll.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Persona 5 was the first JRPG I played after not playing any for a real long time, but my reason for getting it wasn't purely 'because Persona is an RPG but good', but because I had been wanting to play a SMT game for a real long time.

I don't know what the other Persona games in the series are like in this regard, but P5 I think benefited from being a bit like Chrono Trigger (another game I really should play one of these days), in that you see and engage enemies by your own action, rather than being random encounters determined by number of steps, or a surprise attack/ambush being determined by dice roll.

That's been the case at least since 3.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like more JRPGs do that than not.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, when games like Octopath have random encounters it's as a (wrongheaded imo) throwback. Even dragon quest games and remakes have done that since the PS2.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know what the deal is with Octopath, other than that it looks sort of like the art was done by the same artist/team as Bravely Default.

It's by the Bravely Default team headed by the BD head. The gimmick is that you gather a group of 8 people, each with their own storyline, and you can play them in any order. And maybe some other stuff, I'm only going by someone I know playing it.

Roth posted:

I feel like more JRPGs do that than not.

Yeah, on-map encounters are extremely common. There's a really big thing against random encounters and has been for a long time.

EDIT:
VVV Looks like I got bad info from friends who give more of a poo poo than I do :v:

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 10, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

It's by the Bravely Default team.

It's not

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Also while Chrono Trigger had fixed encounters, there were still tons that were invisible and/or unavoidable.

What Chrono Trigger and P5 really have in common is how fast, slick, and stylish their combat presentation is, especially in comparison to their contemporaries.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Arist posted:

That's not what I mean. KH is ridiculous. It's fundamentally a very simple story, just with absurd complications every step of the way. It's about broad, simple emotions and conflicts between friends familiar to pretty much anyone, especially children. It has characters constantly repeating the same few nouns in almost every situation to the point that they become utterly meaningless. And it commits to this. It's sincere because it doesn't care if you think it's stupid.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anyway, because somebody asked earlier, the sincerity of Kingdom Hearts to me is how the main protagonists of the game feel no shame in their emotions and love for each other. It's a nice breath of fresh air to to see friendships that are pretty devoid of toxic aspects that get glossed over because it's just accepted that friends are supposed to act like they hate each other constantly.

Also I like that it's pretty devoid of creepy garbage. Aqua's probably the most horny on main design in the franchise, and even her costume is pretty tame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna play Octopath Traveler because it reminds me of a SaGa game.

Too bad I don't have a Switch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Roth posted:

Also I like that it's pretty devoid of creepy garbage. Aqua's probably the most horny on main design in the franchise, and even her costume is pretty tame.

Xemnas is an anagram for mansex.

Q.E.D.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Got em

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I guess I can kind of see that. It's why I watch tokusatsu, really.
But I don't think disliking KH's story means disliking sincerity.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

But I don't think disliking KH's story means disliking sincerity.

I'm not saying this, I'm saying the reverse.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think they just mean that Dunkey's entire "character" is caked in being ironic, so a game with a plot that has no shame despite how much it might seem cringey is something that Dunkey would definitely hate.

I generally like Dunkey, he's made some funny videos and I think he is pretty genuine about his love for video games but he definitely has some hang ups I'm not so fond of. Still, he is at least very blunt about the fact that he hates certain kinds of games, and I don't think he acts like his take on the genre is objective.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Who knew that the standard "hate anime" opinion would win out over "the mouse does nothing wrong"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Motto posted:

Persona is an anime before it is a JRPG.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Persona is an anime before it is a JRPG.

not really

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Aris has some advice for speedrunners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fy-NGiF4rE

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I dont know who this is, but i do know he needs a swirlie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

seeing what dunkey actually looks like was wild.

his bit about armond white was pretty good.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 10, 2019

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

McCloud posted:

That sketch was alright. But the best summary of KH is still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiHufVEc7g

As for Dunkey. I never watched his stuff directly outside of that Octopath review a lot of people took umbrage with.
So I did see him playing that game and its encounters in the slowest way possible, while mistakenly assuming he was fighting level 1 monsters, which would make any combat system look awful.
I dont think thats him trying to misrepresent the game on purpose though, more a consequence of a natural dislike of random battles and trying to brute force through them.
(though the game does give you plenty of explanations on how combat works)

I liked the game more than he did, but I do kinda agree that Random encounters are an unnecessary throwback (outside of Pokemon). Just give it an off switch in that case, like Bravely Default did.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 10, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Andrast posted:

not really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPIo5k2Zqu8

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

People make the mistake of calling Persona an RPG with dating sim elements when it's really a dating sim with an RPG minigame

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

DeafNote posted:

That sketch was alright. But the best summary of KH is still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiHufVEc7g

As for Dunkey. I never watched his stuff directly outside of that Octopath review a lot of people took umbrage with.
So I did see him playing that game and its encounters in the slowest way possible, while mistakenly assuming he was fighting level 1 monsters, which would make any combat system look awful.
I dont think thats him trying to misrepresent the game on purpose though, more a consequence of a natural dislike of random battles and trying to brute force through them.
(though the game does give you plenty of explanations on how combat works)

I liked the game more than he did, but I do kinda agree that Random encounters are an unnecessary throwback (outside of Pokemon). Just give it an off switch in that case, like Bravely Default did.

Barry's summary of KH is fantastic. I'd like to see him do a plot doodle summary like that for Nier.

As for Octopath, I agree 100% that the random encounters are a bad throwback. The game is trying VERY, VERY hard to be Final Fantasy VI-2 and I think that's why they made it back into there. Fortunately the combat system itself is one of the better ones I've seen in a JRPG and it went a long way to not make me groan immediately upon getting into a random encounter when I was just trying to get that treasure chest over there. The Boss encounters in this game are a treat, even. I loved 'em and how great it felt when I landed a solid strategy against a new boss that was previously an impossible challenge.

One of the bigger issues that I had with the game was that I found it to be very formulaic outside of combat; Every character has four story chapters, and every chapter has some plot stuff in a town, followed by a rather straight forward dungeon crawl with a boss encounter at the end. The plot stuff usually (bot not always) involves you using that character's social action to do stuff, but I never found it feeling like more than a button to press to access a cutscene since plot-related social actions have no chance to fail (with the exception of Olberic and H'aanit, since their social actions prompt combat encounters you can technically fail). All of the dungeons consist of a single winding path with the odd side path that lead to treasure. I don't even recall there being much of the way in puzzles I had to solve along the way in the dungeons, though I may have just forgotten if there was one as it has been several months since I've last played the game. The routine became shockingly glaring over the course of the game, to the point that I began to predict plot points because I knew the story would have to facilitate that formulae.

I wish I could say I loved the story since it starts out so strongly, but I don't. The absence of the other seven characters in each character's story became a huge issue for me when I realized that's all there was going to be. All of that said, I didn't feel genuinely disappointed by the plot until I got to the secret super boss you can unlock after the game ending, which I guess is the actual final boss and leads to the actual ending. After completing the story for everyone and doing an obscure side quest, you get access to the final dungeon where you fight a boss rush before you fight the evil entity behind it all. After each boss in the boss rush, you'll find a book of dead peoples' memories that reveals how all eight of the main stories actually ARE deeply interconnected in what could have been an interesting way if it was explored back during the rest of the game and not in books you can only find after the ending credits. It's right up there with the kids from Chrono Cross explaining everything literally right before you step through the portal to fight the last boss.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Roth posted:

Anyway, because somebody asked earlier, the sincerity of Kingdom Hearts to me is how the main protagonists of the game feel no shame in their emotions and love for each other. It's a nice breath of fresh air to to see friendships that are pretty devoid of toxic aspects that get glossed over because it's just accepted that friends are supposed to act like they hate each other constantly.

i mean yeah its breath of fresh air but its so sloppy and constant it gave me headache and it feels so farcical.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

McCloud posted:

That's basically his Brand

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean yeah its breath of fresh air but its so sloppy and constant it gave me headache and it feels so farcical.

It’s kind of a stable of shonen anime so most JRPGs are like that really.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Wacky videogame review man is bad, btw.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I like Dunkey. For me, whether or not I agree with him about a game doesn’t matter because the videos are basically just an excuse to crack jokes. They aren’t meant to be serious in-depth reviews.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s kind of a stable of shonen anime so most JRPGs are like that really.

probably why i never cared for them i guess. its not a bad thing but its just so cheery it doesn't feel "real". i mean obviously i don't play these games for "realness" but the dialogue is so loving bad that i mostly play it for laughs with friends.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 10, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Most JRPG dialogue is fine and not particularly funny even if you don’t like it but hey you do you.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Arist posted:

That's not what I mean. KH is ridiculous. It's fundamentally a very simple story, just with absurd complications every step of the way. It's about broad, simple emotions and conflicts between friends familiar to pretty much anyone, especially children. It has characters constantly repeating the same few nouns in almost every situation to the point that they become utterly meaningless. And it commits to this. It's sincere because it doesn't care if you think it's stupid.

so you're saying it sucks rear end

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

uh, thanks for proving my point, I guess

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Should've made sora a sad dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most JRPG dialogue is fine and not particularly funny even if you don’t like it but hey you do you.
It depends on the game, and the translator. Especially with dialogue heavy games where the first parts are really well polished, but later on either the writing itself or the translating quality takes a nose dive because they expect your previous good will to carry you through, or just because hey hard deadlines.