Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Those sewers are really confusing OK!?

One one hand it makes no sense that the other dead members of Hunk's unit just layed around for days before turning into zombies.

On the other hand I wish more of them did since the fact that your bullets bounced off of their body armor was pretty cool and not represented property outside of the one guy outside the lab kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wanderer posted:

Hunk's scenario has always been sketchy. You're probably better off assuming that it's only canonical in its broadest possible strokes, because otherwise, you have to ask where he was for a week, why there are at least two more Mr. Xs running around the RPD, and who the hell put up all those new barricades everywhere.
Yeah, the game definitely operates on a sliding scale of canonicity, with Hunk's escape only being canon in the sense that he legged it through a completely overrun sewer/RPD. As for why a week, he had to get from the lab to the sewers, without using the cable car! This also explains why he was hungry enough to eat the scientific marvel that is Tofu.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vakal posted:

One one hand it makes no sense that the other dead members of Hunk's unit just layed around for days before turning into zombies.

On the other hand I wish more of them did since the fact that your bullets bounced off of their body armor was pretty cool and not represented property outside of the one guy outside the lab kitchen.

Fun thing about that guy is his body armor doesn’t really seem to do anything. He gibs just as nice as anybody.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Fun thing about that guy is his body armor doesn’t really seem to do anything. He gibs just as nice as anybody.

I thought I tried pegging him in the chest and heard the bullets just ping off of his chest armor plates.

Never really tried shooting him in the limbs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, I just learned today that the Lickers have detailed assholes.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ohhh go on :ck5:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

G's do too.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

why does everyone dislike the idea of multiple Tyrants when they're a mass produced bioweapon we've seen a hojillion of across all the games and old RE2 literally shows him dropped from a sixpack

Like Nemesis is going to be your One And Only bioboi, wait for his leather deaddaddy aesthetics to grace the screen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

why does everyone dislike the idea of multiple Tyrants when they're a mass produced bioweapon we've seen a hojillion of across all the games and old RE2 literally shows him dropped from a sixpack

Like Nemesis is going to be your One And Only bioboi, wait for his leather deaddaddy aesthetics to grace the screen

Nemmie's pretty young, we try not to sexualize him.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Nemmie's pretty young, we try not to sexualize him.

Remember when everyone thought Nemesis was Wesker

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Dewgy posted:

I have only ever either shotgunned (it's a verb) him in the face as Leon or Incendiary rounded him to the face :flame: Never thought to shoot the armour - I might lay into him with an SMG next time around and see what happened.

I did find the 4th Survivor mode to be a lot of fun. Did feel like a badass having all that gear. I always craft more shotgun shells as I start up though, the headshots are the only reliable thing :blastu:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Black August posted:

I don't think the dislike comes from the idea of multiple Tyrants, just multiple Mr. X's. Makes the guy feel less special when you know there's a bunch of that specific mutation of the Tyrant formula running around. Maybe he's the only one with a cool hat though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I don't think the dislike comes from the idea of multiple Tyrants, just multiple Mr. X's. Makes the guy feel less special when you know there's a bunch of that specific mutation of the Tyrant formula running around. Maybe he's the only one with a cool hat though.

The Tyrants are Mr. X, they are ALL like that, trenchcoated monstrosities meant to clomp around and murder stuff with a very low-level amount of incognito with their getup, they're literally clones of the same motherfucker

I am not going to disagree that he's the only one with the swank of that hat though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well my point is, the specific Mr X that chases Leon and Claire around is an iconic dude. It makes him feel a bit less unique, to know that he's just another fish in the school of Ivans swimming around causing chaos. It's similar to how the Alien in, uh, Alien is really cool and scary and imposing... and then the whole colonial marine related films show that actually there's a thousand of them and they go down pretty good from concentrated rifle fire.

edit: Contrast with say Terminator (which he is clearly meant to evoke), where they went in the opposite order. There are a ton of mass produced Terminators that you see right at the very beginning, but the one specific guy-bot that goes back in time is the important and iconic one.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 10, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vakal posted:

I thought I tried pegging him in the chest and heard the bullets just ping off of his chest armor plates.

Never really tried shooting him in the limbs.

He does have weird hit sounds and not a lot of blood comes out the same but the legs and arms still come off all the same. It’s kinda funny actually.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
So, as a newbie to RE2, which playthroughs are considered canon? Should I play Claire or Leon first? And which route?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

wilbur.walsh posted:

So, as a newbie to RE2, which playthroughs are considered canon? Should I play Claire or Leon first? And which route?

Back in the day, Claire A -> Leon B was as close as you could come to what future games decided was canon. However, no combination of routes actually gels in either the original or remake, they all have conflicting events and story beats. So you might as well just play whichever you wanna. Definitely go from Character 1's A to Character 2's B however, no matter who you choose first, as that's the way the remake (and its rearranged plot) intends for you to play it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Well my point is, the specific Mr X that chases Leon and Claire around is an iconic dude. It makes him feel a bit less unique, to know that he's just another fish in the school of Ivans swimming around causing chaos. It's similar to how the Alien in, uh, Alien is really cool and scary and imposing... and then the whole colonial marine related films show that actually there's a thousand of them and they go down pretty good from concentrated rifle fire.

edit: Contrast with say Terminator (which he is clearly meant to evoke), where they went in the opposite order. There are a ton of mass produced Terminators that you see right at the very beginning, but the one specific guy-bot that goes back in time is the important and iconic one.

I'm okay with the idea of multiple Mr. X's, but only 4 or so and they all wear hats and each wear their own domino masks coloured blue, red, purple and orange.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Well that's kind of the entire point, isn't it? Umbrella is a ubiquitous megacorp, huge and impersonal and uncaring about ending the world if it means the number goes up, and the Tyrant is embodied by that; something uniquely menacing and personal that is in fact entirely unfeeling, controlled by a little dart in his skull, and if one dies a thousand more are waiting in the wings to do the exact same thing. Birkin is the unique one, the personal one, the Tyrant is just a faceless wall of death that can be replaced in minutes with another one. It only gets personal and unique with him when he mutates at the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Black August posted:

Well that's kind of the entire point, isn't it? Umbrella is a ubiquitous megacorp, huge and impersonal and uncaring about ending the world if it means the number goes up, and the Tyrant is embodied by that; something uniquely menacing and personal that is in fact entirely unfeeling, controlled by a little dart in his skull, and if one dies a thousand more are waiting in the wings to do the exact same thing. Birkin is the unique one, the personal one, the Tyrant is just a faceless wall of death that can be replaced in minutes with another one. It only gets personal and unique with him when he mutates at the end.

You're right, I think that Tyrants as a concept is interesting and very imposing. It instills in you a sense of dread because it takes SO MUCH to kill one single Mr X, so all you can really do is 'gulp' like a cartoon character at the revelation that there are actually a hundred of them. I guess the sticking point is more about there potentially being more than one Mr X in RE2 itself. I don't think there is, because it's impossible for both routes to be canon anyway, but it's the only explanation if you're trying to reconcile them for multiple reasons.

Caidin posted:

I'm okay with the idea of multiple Mr. X's, but only 4 or so and they all wear hats and each wear their own domino masks coloured blue, red, purple and orange.

Agreed. :hai:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Shooting a man's hat with a magnum. That's a bond deeper than any clone stamp serial number.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

You're right, I think that Tyrants as a concept is interesting and very imposing. It instills in you a sense of dread because it takes SO MUCH to kill one single Mr X, so all you can really do is 'gulp' like a cartoon character at the revelation that there are actually a hundred of them. I guess the sticking point is more about there potentially being more than one Mr X in RE2 itself. I don't think there is, because it's impossible for both routes to be canon anyway, but it's the only explanation if you're trying to reconcile them for multiple reasons.

Oh, in the station itself I don't think there is more than one, no, despite continuity errors it feels implied it's meant to be a single one menacing you the whole time to the end, with Leon's timeline seeing it survive to the finale, and Claire's timeline sees it gone sooner. But I think you're meant to keep in mind while that Tyrant is yours, the city is swarming with countless others doing steady cleanup before the nuke. The game did an amazing job of making the zombies, Tyrant, and G-Virus all feel like a legitimate threat to war with mass production.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Claire as a second run lets you bypass fiddling with a considerable bit of her weaponry and also letting you get the submachine gun before birkin 1 which is a huge utility boost for her. The downside is her final boss requires bullets while Leons requires understanding that anything that rides in a vehicle is cursed to die

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

wilbur.walsh posted:

Canonically, in the original, Claire A - Leon B is the only playthrough that makes sense. In the remake, neither makes complete sense, but basically Claire's scenario with a little bit of Leon's.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I've had to skip through some wrong longposts on my way here.

1. The damage you deal and the damage you receive is absolutely dependent on how the game adjusts your skill rating on standard.
2. On hardcore your skill rating is hard-set to 9 and doesn't change.
3. The game gives you enough ammo to comfortably kill 2x the amount of enemies you need to on it's hardest possible rating/difficulty.
4. If you mismanage your resources, the scaling difficulty on standard is there to help you.
5. The game's scaring you into wasting your resources.

Like for example people here were complaining about the morgue zombie at the door for having a shitton of HP. Well it won't finish it's standing up animation before you should be out of the room, and they won't follow you outside. But it's right at the door and you pooped your pants and wasted half your pistol ammo, and then you made a post on forums about it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It honestly feels like despite the 2nd Runs, you never actually know what happens with Leon if you play through as Claire, and vice versa, so there is no canon besides piecing together the logical of both runs

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

wilbur.walsh posted:

As a newbie, I would recommend you do Leon first, and Claire second. I think Leon is easier because he gets the shotgun and has to deal with fewer lickers. Obviously others can argue this point at length.

Trying to fit the exact events of the different playthroughs in with the series canon is a fool's errand. While both Leon and Claire went through their distinct storylines with exclusive characters, it makes no sense that they both used the spade key to unlock the same doors, that the weapons locker magically sprouted a grenade launcher for Claire after it was cleaned out by Leon, etc.

Both Resident Evil 1 and 2 have mutually-contradictory storylines, and officially, both characters are canon. In Resident Evil 1, Chris saved Rebecca and Jill saved Barry, even though it's impossible to see that story in the actual game. RE2 works the same way.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer how they handle the A/B thing much more in the remake since Leon A/Claire B sucks in the original and is objectively worse than Claire A/Leon B.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A/B was a fresh and cool idea in the original but it isn't really necessary for a remake that focuses on a super tight gameplay design and experience, 2nd runs are just cool remixes with different arsenals and bosses depending

If there is any sensible order though, purely for gameplay reasons, it's Leon 1st and Claire 2nd, since then Claire fights every form of Birkin consecutively, and deals his end, which makes it feel a lot more personal with her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I did think it was super loving cool in the Remake how only Leon got the club key and only Claire got the heart, and on your first time through there's this missing area on the map and you don't know what's inside.

It would be amazing if they had structured the whole game like that, so that each character gets completely exclusive puzzles and real estate and it really does make sense that they never cross paths. But I guess that would dramatically increase development time.

Does anyone know, was the 2nd run thing added late in development? I swear I read that somewhere.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

2nd Run feels like 'speedrunner mode', cuts out the intro and drops you right in with either Leon or Claire ending the same way unlike 1st Run

Plus, look, nobody is going to give a poo poo about 1st/2nd and A/B nonsense once they release roguelike mode

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Mr. X is the Agent 47 to the clone program that is the T-103 production line.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

codo27 posted:

A lot of posts to catch up with the thread but this is 100%incorrect. The legs are as Inconsistent as everything else

It's funny because I didn't realize this in Leon A (not really aiming for legs) and I missed it again in Claire B (since you get the submachine gun so quickly). When going for a Claire A S-run however it really started sticking out to me just how inconsistent maiming was when using a hand-gun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vic posted:

I've had to skip through some wrong longposts on my way here.

1. The damage you deal and the damage you receive is absolutely dependent on how the game adjusts your skill rating on standard.
2. On hardcore your skill rating is hard-set to 9 and doesn't change.
3. The game gives you enough ammo to comfortably kill 2x the amount of enemies you need to on it's hardest possible rating/difficulty.
4. If you mismanage your resources, the scaling difficulty on standard is there to help you.
5. The game's scaring you into wasting your resources.

Like for example people here were complaining about the morgue zombie at the door for having a shitton of HP. Well it won't finish it's standing up animation before you should be out of the room, and they won't follow you outside. But it's right at the door and you pooped your pants and wasted half your pistol ammo, and then you made a post on forums about it.

The morgue door zombie is the worst and you can't run past it bc I get my legs bit just picking up the diamond key when the guy rolls off

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I emptied about 10 rounds into the leg of one of the zombies in the east storage room on the third floor, but instead of severing the leg the zombie just died completely.

Odd.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

In Training posted:

The morgue door zombie is the worst and you can't run past it bc I get my legs bit just picking up the diamond key when the guy rolls off

never happened to me once out of about 20 retries I had of the drat place

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

In Training posted:

kill or disable the one next to the door and don't completely pull the slab with the key out on B runs. You can pull it almost all of the way out and still grab the key without the zombie waking up before then.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
These are examples of other Mr.X in the middle of Capcom's 'give us money we don't give a gently caress' phase of churning out endless REs

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Did you shoot the thigh or the calf? That seems to make a difference for me :eng101:

Anyway, on the note of dismemberment, I can't recall if I posted about my blunder earlier or not: In the C4 room I entertain myself by knifing off the hands of Dangle-Guy when you first pass through it on campaign-A. A few nights ago Dangle-Guy got the wanderlust after the blast and apparently meandered over to me while I was doing the medallion puzzle and trying to shank poor-man's Gene Simmons. Reverse-Lt. Dan here got to my knife fight 2-3 hits before it was over and was able to do an effectively instant bite-grab by slamming his forehead into me. I get bit at least two times, maybe three times (it was only standard), before I can get through the drat hole in the fence, heal, and then get interrupted by poor-man's Gene Simmons doing a flying taste test on me making me heal again as I finished our sharp objects party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm thinking of attempting a Hardcore S run since I did Claire A in Standard in about 3:23 to get the Samurai Edge. The only thing you can't get with infinite weapons is S+, correct? How hard is it having the infinite knife and pistol?