Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Old school Quattro laughs at your snow jammed tires.

The issue with Washington is they spend all of their capital on the passes (rightfully so).

Fun part of that is its basically Funland if you've got 4WD/AWD for 3 or 4 days after the snowstorm. Also how I know if you have an Impreza, 4" on the road is your limit mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yup. Thats basically where I want my house to llok like.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

oh my god qanon stuff is somehow bleeding into my youtube recommendations now

Remember how people would gently caress up chat bots with racism/homophobia?

It’s like that but with entire social platforms. Turning things over to an algorithm isn’t a neutral choice. You’re giving your platform over to the loudest, screechiest voices because they generate the most clicks/views/engagements.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i just watch late night talk show clips and path of exile streamers on my youtube account :(

graham norton why

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBZM9aUMsjEM76RFMofBZmDBuqNPnCdt

[video type="youtube"]/playlist?list=PLbBZM9aUMsjEM76RFMofBZmDBuqNPnCdt[/video]

A wonderful dude thrifts while looking for weird games and tech from the 90's and early 00's.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vasudus posted:

path of exile streamers

Found the problem (assuming PoE is a video game).

Algorithm probably sees a lot of overlap between any gamer videos and weird right wing internet bullshit

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's what I thought, except I only follow a very select number of them that it's unlikely.

I'm probably going to have to purge my entire YouTube history.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it's generous to call something an "algorithm" when it's just directing gamers to right-wing propaganda.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBZM9aUMsjEM76RFMofBZmDBuqNPnCdt

A wonderful dude thrifts while looking for weird games and tech from the 90's and early 00's.

LGR's stuff is the loving best. Dude is cool as hell in an awesome nerd way, and he gets plenty of stuff that I never even heard of, like crazy 3d space ball controllers and poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LGR is one of the most genuine guys on YouTube; he's fantastic

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
LGR does awesome reviews, third'ing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Starting over from the beginning on the Expanse. Such a good loving show.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Starting over from the beginning on the Expanse. Such a good loving show.

I was planning on doing this too. It is so good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

DoktorLoken posted:

If you live in a truly rural area or somewhere with significant hills or mountains I guess.

This is a dangerous mindset that is unfortunately common knowledge, and - even worse - it's perpetuated in the industry for market reasons. Which is even more mind-blowing considering the wide climate-range in the US, with a whole lot of states seeing a seasonal climate where M+S tires are dangerously insufficient in average conditions.

quote:

People do just fine with all-season tires in the Great Lakes region where we get heavy snow but have generally flat land.

That's also not statistically accurate, but the perception is based on the underestimation of snow tire performance vs. an overestimation of M+S tire performance. It's basically a tire Kruger-Dunning effect.
People are fine with the status quo, because the rate of accidents over the winter is "about average for the season", so no eyebrows are raised and the question "how much lower could that accident rate have been with 3PMSF-rated tires or snow tires" is never asked by regulatory agencies / consumer advocacy groups / media / etc.
The answer to that question is "a whole lot lower", but the question never comes up in the first place, because status quo.

psydude posted:

They also get better traction in cold temperatures vs summer or all seasons.

It's this, albeit massively understated. All-season M+S tires are getting better and better, in part because developers have started tightening their standards for winter performance trials, and 3PMSF-rated all-season tires are becoming increasingly more common, but no all-season tire can hold a candle to a proper winter tire, and - this is the important part - this applies to situations where there's no snow at all too.

Tread pattern is the most visible part of the tire you would assume makes a difference, but it's the tread compound that does the majority of the performance work in sub-45-degree conditions. Pliability massively decreases while rigidity simultaneously increases in all-season tires in these conditions, and while a more aggressive tread pattern will increase handling, traction, and braking performance in these conditions when there's snow involved, the tires suffer massive performance hits in ALL other situations without snow.

On a sunny, bone-dry 40-degree-day, a winter tire is the difference between being able to stop just short of the guy ahead of you in an emergency-brake situation, and rear-ending them with an all-season tire, and this gets overlooked because the perceived conditions don't make the average motorist ask the question if they could have made that stop with different tires.

While the question "how much snow does your region get?" should absolutely play a role in in the decision whether to get winter tires vs. all-season tires, the much more important question should be "how cold is it on average?", but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Excellent post.

Don't cheap out on tires, they're the only part that connects you to the road.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm done with chinese imported tires altogether. I went back to what came on the kia in the first place, a set of Kumho. They're a massive improvement over the "arizonian" brand tires I used to buy. Those cheap tires took plugs well though, usually at least two a tire before I'd consider replacing them.

Kinda miss the good ol days when I could buy a chinese tire for my ranger for $18, pay another $10 to mount and balance it. They were much more prone to spontaneous failure, but I could always afford to carry a full size spare or two all the time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
"All season" tires are no season tires. :colbert:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Y'all landowners that can keep two sets of tires go nuts, I'll be happy over here with my All-Seasons thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

I don't care about the market descriptions of the tires, I know the practical limitations of the tires I have via practice. I also know via practice they work better than summer tires in the snow, and I know that they have lower rolling resistance than snow tires.

Its not about one being superior to the other, I'm just not swapping out tires twice a year and am looking for a happy medium.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Y'all landowners that can keep two sets of tires go nuts, I'll be happy over here with my All-Seasons thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

I don't care about the market descriptions of the tires, I know the practical limitations of the tires I have via practice. I also know via practice they work better than summer tires in the snow, and I know that they have lower rolling resistance than snow tires.

Its not about one being superior to the other, I'm just not swapping out tires twice a year and am looking for a happy medium.

If you don't have a garage to keep a separate set of tires, that's fine, and I don't know where you live, so you might be perfectly fine with all-season tires, but if you live somewhere where you probably should have winter tires, you're buying convenience for something you do twice per year at the cost of safety for an entire season, with pretty much zero financial benefit considering wear and viable life of the tires.

You're fine to do whatever you like, but my argument isn't about what you should do, it's about there being a dangerous half-truth about the discussion that is unfortunately common knowledge in the US.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you don't have a garage to keep a separate set of tires, that's fine, and I don't know where you live, so you might be perfectly fine with all-season tires, but if you live somewhere where you probably should have winter tires, you're buying convenience for something you do twice per year at the cost of safety for an entire season, with pretty much zero financial benefit considering wear and viable life of the tires.

You're fine to do whatever you like, but my argument isn't about what you should do, it's about there being a dangerous half-truth about the discussion that is unfortunately common knowledge in the US.

Oh by all means, I live in the mid-atlantic and can get away with such things and was definitely just speaking for myself. You're right though. Common knowledge in the US is pretty stupid in general.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh by all means, I live in the mid-atlantic and can get away with such things and was definitely just speaking for myself. You're right though. Common knowledge in the US is pretty stupid in general.

Not sure where you live in the Mid-Atlantic, but where I live in MD gets pretty damned cold at certain points of the winter. I'll concede that having a house definitely makes storing a spare set of wheels way easier, though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you live in the DC region just forget about snow tires, the roads are going to be clogged with cars anyway. Stock up on food and call in remotely.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Not sure where you live in the Mid-Atlantic, but where I live in MD gets pretty damned cold at certain points of the winter. I'll concede that having a house definitely makes storing a spare set of wheels way easier, though.

The only time I lived in Maryland was for AIT in 2003. We had three feet of snow my first night there. Haven't seen three feet total in my three winters in the Springs.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

psydude posted:

I live in Harrisburg, it snows like 5 times a year and everything closes anyways. With all-seasons and a Subaru I don't even have to flinch if its less than 4" and the plows haven't been out.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I live in Colorado and shamefully don't have snow tires on my truck, which is a rear wheel drive POS. Previously Id use my Passat for driving up / into the mountains during snow season but it was sadly retired last year so now I have to hitch rides like a little bitch.

Good tires can't make up for bad driving though. I've seen plenty of big wrecks on I-70 featuring late model luxury SUVs with snow tires where the dipshit driver managed to flip their car because they lost control for whatever reason. You can manage around here on the highways without snow tires for the most part, but you do have to drive like a granny and be cognizant of stopping on icy inclines because you might not get going again.

In summation of I had money I would definitely buy a more suitable vehicle and tires for the region, bit I don't.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm done with chinese imported tires altogether. I went back to what came on the kia in the first place, a set of Kumho. They're a massive improvement over the "arizonian" brand tires I used to buy. Those cheap tires took plugs well though, usually at least two a tire before I'd consider replacing them.

Kinda miss the good ol days when I could buy a chinese tire for my ranger for $18, pay another $10 to mount and balance it. They were much more prone to spontaneous failure, but I could always afford to carry a full size spare or two all the time.

Tires are THE MOST IMPORTANT safety feature on your car. How great your brakes are doesn't matter if your tires are poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Godholio posted:

Tires are THE MOST IMPORTANT safety feature on your car. How great your brakes are doesn't matter if your tires are poo poo.

this

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
before i was finally free of that mechanical death trap, i made the run from connecticut to virginia in the wet snow in a 2003 mazda 6 that had bald tires, bad brakes, and a hosed up suspension

that was hard mode enabled

and of course i was the one that had to drive so i was having a panic attack for six hours straight just because i was driving the car in the first place

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Winter of 2014 we got a good bit of snow. During one such snow storm, I had to go pick up a buddy whose car was stranded along US-15 near Thurmont in my summer tires. That, plus another where I got caught on 70 a sleet storm, were enough to convince me to spend the money.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
During the Snowmageddon deep freeze that stranded everyone on I-285 and I-75/85, I drove home from downtown Atlanta over the backroads in an 1986 Audi 4000 CS Quattro Turbo on All-Weathers and the diff locks engaged, took me longer than normal but I got home. This was a 40 mile trip.

This was the same deep freeze where the fire department was rescuing people out of their cars on the highway. Its not that I blame them, the roads were icy and slick as hell, took a lot of downshifting and left foot braking/drifting to make it home.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 10, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was caught on the mountains outside Santa Fe by a snowstorm at 10pm and could no longer see the lines in the road while semis were blowing by me at full speed. I took the next offramp and had a super chill night eating at a nice hotel restaurant and staying there even though I was 20 miles from home. I ain't gonna be that sucker in the ditch waiting for the fire department to pull them out.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
There's a reason why I keep a bunch of chemical hand/foot warmers, a sleeping bag, and big blanket in my car. I don't plan on getting stuck anywhere, but if I do I'm not going to be miserable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really need to do a better job of having emergency food and water on hand in my apartment. I'm spoiled by living where I am, the chances of all the many places I can get food being simultaneously closed is pretty low. The only time it happened was during a freak snowstorm we had in 2015 that poo poo 36" of snow on us in a day. I didn't even lose power.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Amos is hella enlisted

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Amos is hella enlisted

Amos is the patron saint of the Lance corporal mafia.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

holocaust bloopers posted:

Amos is hella enlisted

He's not that guy :haw:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Patio closets will typically fit a set of 15" wheels with tires.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tomorrow/this week at work is gonna be loving wild. VP sent out a damage control email @ 5 on a Sunday. lol.

I'm all nerves and poo poo, but I'm kinda excited to go to work tomorrow cause I think it's gonna be :stare: worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Tomorrow/this week at work is gonna be loving wild. VP sent out a damage control email @ 5 on a Sunday. lol.

Don't leave us hanging.