Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bs8oKUznwE&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bs8oKUznwE&t=2115s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_owGMZC768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Banano posted:

Having got precisely none of the records I'd asked for/hinted at for Christmas, I was forced - FORCED to get them myself

Nice comp of extended disco edits, spooky Italian funk/prog rock from 1970

:nws: for disco boobs

Some post punky dancefloor nuggets, had never heard of Pylon until very recently, loving their stuff

The Clydie King was everything I'd hoped for - I thought I was always going to have to listen to it via lovely mp3s culled from the internet - no more! Everyone should get a copy of this - lovely bit of 70s soul/proto disco.
Another reissue from my man Baris - more rock than psych as it's one of his earlier albums.
Psych rock played by Latvian teenage refugees in late 70's UK.

heavy afro funk drums, heavy turkish funk drums, heavy british not-funk drums

Arthur Russell plinky-plonky, 60s hammond noodling, and cultural appropriation approaching minstrel show territory but with funky as gently caress results

Another great comp by analog africa - apparently sometime in the late 60s a cargo ship stuffed full of the latest Moogs, Korgs, Farfisas etc. en route to a music trade show in Rio turned up shipwrecked on the cape verde islands. The instruments were distributed throughout the school system as they were some of the few places that had electricity. Fast forward a few years and you had an explosion of traditional music fused with synths and studio effects.

wicked 80s Nigerian boogie - Mr Hygrades indeed. Massive dark disco slab from Aleke and a 16 & half minute version of Love to Love

Good finds, respect to Donna for thinking of the DJs with that extended version

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

I have a record collecting-adjacent hobby wherein I put my own music on albums and then buy hundreds of copies at a time. It's nearly as fun.

This is a record that I have been forced to be tight-lipped about until just now, but I'm stoked to get it out into the world and doubly so since 250 copies showed up at my door yesterday. Members of Psychic Temple, Cherry Glazerr, and some of the dopest on the LA jazz scene comprise the studio band. I would put the music somewhere on the same spectrum as Steely Dan, Talk Talk, XTC, and Joni Mitchell, whatever bells that rings for ya.

There's one track on the Bandcamp that is streamable. It's a good one because if you like the way it sounds, I can nearly guarantee that you'll be down with the rest of the record. If you don't like it, well every song is a little different, and you might like another one. Keeping the price low because I'm independent and it's more important to me to be heard than to make a bunch of dough. Full stream/actual release is March 15, but I'm posting here now because y'all have been great in the past about supporting each other and me. Props!

I couldn't be more pleased with the end product; everybody that worked on this record did an excellent job, down to the cutting engineer. I'm a sound engineer by trade and a music snob for fun, and if your stereo setup is half as good as mine, this record is going to keep you warm. It's one to give your attention to if you've got half an hour.

Message me through bandcamp if you live outside the US and want a copy; I will drop you a coupon code to cut the price down since international shipping has become so outrageous in the last five years.

http://guma.bandcamp.com

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

1000 umbrellas posted:

I have a record collecting-adjacent hobby wherein I put my own music on albums and then buy hundreds of copies at a time. It's nearly as fun.

This is a record that I have been forced to be tight-lipped about until just now, but I'm stoked to get it out into the world and doubly so since 250 copies showed up at my door yesterday. Members of Psychic Temple, Cherry Glazerr, and some of the dopest on the LA jazz scene comprise the studio band. I would put the music somewhere on the same spectrum as Steely Dan, Talk Talk, XTC, and Joni Mitchell, whatever bells that rings for ya.

There's one track on the Bandcamp that is streamable. It's a good one because if you like the way it sounds, I can nearly guarantee that you'll be down with the rest of the record. If you don't like it, well every song is a little different, and you might like another one. Keeping the price low because I'm independent and it's more important to me to be heard than to make a bunch of dough. Full stream/actual release is March 15, but I'm posting here now because y'all have been great in the past about supporting each other and me. Props!

I couldn't be more pleased with the end product; everybody that worked on this record did an excellent job, down to the cutting engineer. I'm a sound engineer by trade and a music snob for fun, and if your stereo setup is half as good as mine, this record is going to keep you warm. It's one to give your attention to if you've got half an hour.

Message me through bandcamp if you live outside the US and want a copy; I will drop you a coupon code to cut the price down since international shipping has become so outrageous in the last five years.

http://guma.bandcamp.com

That’s really good. Like the album art too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

All the records I bought for my birthday came in today! Hell yeah New Record Day!

I'm actually trading the highlighter yellow 13th Anniversary for the purple variant:

EDIT: Oh yeah, have a digital download, while I'm at it!

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 8, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if this is anyone's kind of thing, but it seems that the Mother arranged soundtrack and Mother 2 (aka EarthBound) OST records have been repressed. I've wanted these for a while since the Mother series is probably my favorite video game series of all time.

Mother 1 has a really pretty red and white floral look to it.
https://www.fangamer.com/products/mother-ost-vinyl

Mother 2's is silver and gold, which is a bit dull compared to some of the other pressings in my opinion.
https://www.fangamer.com/products/mother-2-vinyl

For some reason though, the shipping for the Mother 2 OST was over $11 when the Mother 1 one was just $4. I was annoyed by this and checked eBay before giving in and getting the newer one, and found an older pressing, played once, with cooler colors (black with magenta starburst). Only a couple bids on it around $30 (brand new copies go for $70+). I put my max bid in at 2 seconds left and scored it for $35 with like $3.50 shipping. Less than what the silver and gold one would have cost before shipping.

Today is a good day.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Framboise posted:

I dunno if this is anyone's kind of thing, but it seems that the Mother arranged soundtrack and Mother 2 (aka EarthBound) OST records have been repressed. I've wanted these for a while since the Mother series is probably my favorite video game series of all time.

Mother 1 has a really pretty red and white floral look to it.
https://www.fangamer.com/products/mother-ost-vinyl

Mother 2's is silver and gold, which is a bit dull compared to some of the other pressings in my opinion.
https://www.fangamer.com/products/mother-2-vinyl

For some reason though, the shipping for the Mother 2 OST was over $11 when the Mother 1 one was just $4. I was annoyed by this and checked eBay before giving in and getting the newer one, and found an older pressing, played once, with cooler colors (black with magenta starburst). Only a couple bids on it around $30 (brand new copies go for $70+). I put my max bid in at 2 seconds left and scored it for $35 with like $3.50 shipping. Less than what the silver and gold one would have cost before shipping.

Today is a good day.

Mother 2 has been repressed twice and Mother was just repressed for the first time. The Yetee has Magicant and Flying Man Mother and Fourside/Moonside Earthbound as well. $38.50 shipped is cheaper than any other option, for sure. There's a hidden track on side D of Earthbound. I have the meteor variant used for Troma's War but that Ghost of Starman variant looks nice and I would have gotten it if it were available at the same time. Thing is, the preorder for the yellow/orange Earthbound variant lasted for months and very shortly after they shipped, the Ghost of Starman variant started shipping. It would have been cool if it were an option since they were pressed at the same time.

I know you didn't ask, but VGM vinyl comes up occasionally in this thread and I'd like to share a few of my favorite VGM albums (by label, not necessarily artist) for anyone interested. If digital-to-analog music aggravates you (which is reasonable because it is dumb), skip the rest of this post. I might do one here in a bit after organizing the non VGM in my collection and then I can share all my dad rock and jazz picks.

• Stardew Valley by Gamer's Edition. Fangamer recently released a box set (~233 left in stock) that has all of the songs added in updates, but I prefer the GE album because the original soundtrack flows much better and each side is a separate season. With the box set, the addition of the music added in updates is sometimes jarring because it goes from the happy-go-lucky music reminiscent of a Yoshi game to weird electronic music back to chimey stuff. The box set is very well put together, though, and Fangamer has the best shipping for vinyl out of the 20 or so stores I've ordered from online. The first pressing of Stardew had its price scalper inflated nearly instantaneously because the 600 copies were split between GE in Europe and Mondo in the US.

• The Music of Grand Theft Auto V box set by Mass Appeal. E-H is the original score and was the primary reason for getting it. I love all the non-licensed music in the game and the box set used to be available at a much more reasonable price, so it was a no-brainer. The licensed tracks are just a bonus.

• Nier Automata and Nier Gestalt Replicant box set by Square Enix. Automata has an incredible soundtrack, given all the lyrics except for like one song are in a made-up language. Originally ordered it from Square Enix directly using a $15 off voucher but they missed the initial ship date and I moved to a different state. They wouldn't change the state (despite sales tax being the same in both cases down to the penny) on the order so I canceled. Then they refused to issue another $15 certificate, so we ordered it from Amazon JP instead for like $30 less (including shipping) than Square is currently charging. The people who mastered and pressed this set have clearly been doing it for a long time because I'd argue that it is the best sounding of our 600 or so albums. Admittedly I have not listened to the Gestalt portions because I haven't played the game yet but the box set from Amazon JP was cheaper than just the Automata album from any US retailer.

• Brigador Volume I and Brigador Volume II by YK. Makeup and Vanity Set made a very good synthwave soundtrack for Goon-made game Brigador and it is the perfect background music for any occasion. It sets the mood perfectly for stomping civilians on purpose on accident just as well as it does for cleaning or getting work done.

• Nidhogg II by Alpha Pup Records. This soundtrack was sleeper of the year 2018 for me. If you like IDM in any way, check it out. If you don't like IDM, stil check it out. It's completely underrated in even a niche community like vgm nerds but rarely do I find an album of any genre to be so completely enjoyable from start to finish. Holds the record (heh) for most A->B->A-B plays of any of our single LPs. Nidhogg II is the other of two games I haven't played, yet own the soundtrack.

• Snatcher by Ship To Shore. This is the first game soundtrack I bought on vinyl and really got me into collecting soundtracks as a hobby. I wish it didn't use some tracks from the Snatcher Zoom CD and instead had some MSX tracks in there, but it's certainly one of the best Sega CD soundtracks which makes it hard to complain about its existence at all. The artwork by Ian Wilding is top notch and I think the red with black splatter looks great, though there are several more variants than the initial four since it was recently repressed.

• Pilotwings by Totakuribo. This is a bootleg, but was handled by the same person that released the F-Zero bootleg I posted earlier in this thread, and rivals any official release (up there with Data Discs and Brave Wave) in terms of fidelity and quality. I love the jacket and Soyo Oka did a stellar job on the Pilotwings soundtrack, considering she was pioneering chiptune music for an entirely new set of hardware. Like with all the bootlegs we have, I hope one day it gets an official release. Until then, I'm just happy I was lucky enough to get my hands on F-Zero, this, and SimCity. All three have had an exceptional amount of care and work put into them, but Pilotwings is my favorite of the three. Counting the Super Mario World album that showed up last month and Gradius III from STS, I have the soundtracks to all the SNES NA launch titles.
Those are my current favorites, but there have also been some total duds in the mix.
  • Namco Museum Arcade Greatest Hits by Spacelab9. I know what you're thinking. "Of course that sounds bad." Even as a novelty, it's worse than you'd think. It isn't simply just the jingles. No, there are sound effects being played to imitate you listening to someone play the games on an arcade cabinet. It's easily the worst album I have ever purchased regardless of format and the only people who could truly appreciate it are those who worked at bowling alleys in the 80s who want to chain smoke, waxing nostalgic about the good ol days.

• Sonic the Hedgehog 2 lathe by Select/Start. I've listened to a handful of lathes that sound pretty good, but this one is easily the worst I've ever heard. The audio sounds like it was picked up from a mono TV speaker with a Tiger Talkboy or equivalent recording setup. The entire album is ridiculously quiet requiring me to crank up the levels and then each surface pop is amplified to the point I think it's going to blow my monitors. Super Mario World came from the same person, but was pressed on vinyl instead of a cut lathe and it came out pretty good. Luckily it wasn't very expensive but he has since continued ordering more lathes with the same bad master and started charging more for each record. Absolutely a ripoff when compared to nearly every other bootleg that was released last year.

• Captain Power / Bubble Bobble / Flinthook flexi by STS. The flexi itself actually sounds good compared to every other one I've listened to. It's the comedy option here because it was a sampler for Zuntata Vol. 3, Flinthook, and Captain Power but Captain Power was canceled since Gary Goddard is apparently a creep.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 8, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Beachniks’s first and only LP from 2013. Reverby janglepop quintet from Queens, both the jacket and disc have hand-painted paint. Which, much to the chagrin of all involved, has slightly flaked off (see photo #3)

https://beachniks.bandcamp.com/album/in-color

It also really owns hard when a seller makes that personal effort

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
So how important is it really to clean my records? If I'm not going for like 100% optimal sound quality is it okay to just throw on some records from the Goodwill? I guess it's bad for my needle, but I honestly don't really know, everything sounds fine to me.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

only temporary posted:

So how important is it really to clean my records? If I'm not going for like 100% optimal sound quality is it okay to just throw on some records from the Goodwill? I guess it's bad for my needle, but I honestly don't really know, everything sounds fine to me.

If you are getting them from goodwill, I would say cleaning is pretty important as they have likely not been stored in the best of conditions. A lot of the debris that gets stuck inside the grooves isn't necessarily visible with the naked eye. Even if you don't notice much difference in sound, your needle will thank you for it.

I like to clean most records I purchase as I have had brand new records with a bunch of factory debris/dust on them. I definitely haven't cleaned my whole collection but try to do it when I can or before I listen to something I know I haven't cleaned.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

only temporary posted:

How much do you like the snap crackle pop sound and how much do you care that you're grinding dirt in the grooves and potentially damaging them permanently?

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

CPL593H posted:

How much do you like the snap crackle pop sound and how much do you care that you're grinding dirt in the grooves and potentially damaging them permanently?

I guess this means I should probably invest in some cleaning materials. I don't typically mind it since I'm only paying $1 for most of what I've got.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Mother 2 has been repressed twice and Mother was just repressed for the first time. The Yetee has Magicant and Flying Man Mother and Fourside/Moonside Earthbound as well. $38.50 shipped is cheaper than any other option, for sure. There's a hidden track on side D of Earthbound. I have the meteor variant used for Troma's War but that Ghost of Starman variant looks nice and I would have gotten it if it were available at the same time. Thing is, the preorder for the yellow/orange Earthbound variant lasted for months and very shortly after they shipped, the Ghost of Starman variant started shipping. It would have been cool if it were an option since they were pressed at the same time.

I know you didn't ask, but VGM vinyl comes up occasionally in this thread and I'd like to share a few of my favorite VGM albums (by label, not necessarily artist) for anyone interested. If digital-to-analog music aggravates you (which is reasonable because it is dumb), skip the rest of this post. I might do one here in a bit after organizing the non VGM in my collection and then I can share all my dad rock and jazz picks.

• Stardew Valley by Gamer's Edition. Fangamer recently released a box set (~233 left in stock) that has all of the songs added in updates, but I prefer the GE album because the original soundtrack flows much better and each side is a separate season. With the box set, the addition of the music added in updates is sometimes jarring because it goes from the happy-go-lucky music reminiscent of a Yoshi game to weird electronic music back to chimey stuff. The box set is very well put together, though, and Fangamer has the best shipping for vinyl out of the 20 or so stores I've ordered from online. The first pressing of Stardew had its price scalper inflated nearly instantaneously because the 600 copies were split between GE in Europe and Mondo in the US.

• The Music of Grand Theft Auto V box set by Mass Appeal. E-H is the original score and was the primary reason for getting it. I love all the non-licensed music in the game and the box set used to be available at a much more reasonable price, so it was a no-brainer. The licensed tracks are just a bonus.

• Nier Automata and Nier Gestalt Replicant box set by Square Enix. Automata has an incredible soundtrack, given all the lyrics except for like one song are in a made-up language. Originally ordered it from Square Enix directly using a $15 off voucher but they missed the initial ship date and I moved to a different state. They wouldn't change the state (despite sales tax being the same in both cases down to the penny) on the order so I canceled. Then they refused to issue another $15 certificate, so we ordered it from Amazon JP instead for like $30 less (including shipping) than Square is currently charging. The people who mastered and pressed this set have clearly been doing it for a long time because I'd argue that it is the best sounding of our 600 or so albums. Admittedly I have not listened to the Gestalt portions because I haven't played the game yet but the box set from Amazon JP was cheaper than just the Automata album from any US retailer.

• Brigador Volume I and Brigador Volume II by YK. Makeup and Vanity Set made a very good synthwave soundtrack for Goon-made game Brigador and it is the perfect background music for any occasion. It sets the mood perfectly for stomping civilians on purpose on accident just as well as it does for cleaning or getting work done.

• Nidhogg II by Alpha Pup Records. This soundtrack was sleeper of the year 2018 for me. If you like IDM in any way, check it out. If you don't like IDM, stil check it out. It's completely underrated in even a niche community like vgm nerds but rarely do I find an album of any genre to be so completely enjoyable from start to finish. Holds the record (heh) for most A->B->A-B plays of any of our single LPs. Nidhogg II is the other of two games I haven't played, yet own the soundtrack.

• Snatcher by Ship To Shore. This is the first game soundtrack I bought on vinyl and really got me into collecting soundtracks as a hobby. I wish it didn't use some tracks from the Snatcher Zoom CD and instead had some MSX tracks in there, but it's certainly one of the best Sega CD soundtracks which makes it hard to complain about its existence at all. The artwork by Ian Wilding is top notch and I think the red with black splatter looks great, though there are several more variants than the initial four since it was recently repressed.

• Pilotwings by Totakuribo. This is a bootleg, but was handled by the same person that released the F-Zero bootleg I posted earlier in this thread, and rivals any official release (up there with Data Discs and Brave Wave) in terms of fidelity and quality. I love the jacket and Soyo Oka did a stellar job on the Pilotwings soundtrack, considering she was pioneering chiptune music for an entirely new set of hardware. Like with all the bootlegs we have, I hope one day it gets an official release. Until then, I'm just happy I was lucky enough to get my hands on F-Zero, this, and SimCity. All three have had an exceptional amount of care and work put into them, but Pilotwings is my favorite of the three. Counting the Super Mario World album that showed up last month and Gradius III from STS, I have the soundtracks to all the SNES NA launch titles.
Those are my current favorites, but there have also been some total duds in the mix.
  • Namco Museum Arcade Greatest Hits by Spacelab9. I know what you're thinking. "Of course that sounds bad." Even as a novelty, it's worse than you'd think. It isn't simply just the jingles. No, there are sound effects being played to imitate you listening to someone play the games on an arcade cabinet. It's easily the worst album I have ever purchased regardless of format and the only people who could truly appreciate it are those who worked at bowling alleys in the 80s who want to chain smoke, waxing nostalgic about the good ol days.

• Sonic the Hedgehog 2 lathe by Select/Start. I've listened to a handful of lathes that sound pretty good, but this one is easily the worst I've ever heard. The audio sounds like it was picked up from a mono TV speaker with a Tiger Talkboy or equivalent recording setup. The entire album is ridiculously quiet requiring me to crank up the levels and then each surface pop is amplified to the point I think it's going to blow my monitors. Super Mario World came from the same person, but was pressed on vinyl instead of a cut lathe and it came out pretty good. Luckily it wasn't very expensive but he has since continued ordering more lathes with the same bad master and started charging more for each record. Absolutely a ripoff when compared to nearly every other bootleg that was released last year.

• Captain Power / Bubble Bobble / Flinthook flexi by STS. The flexi itself actually sounds good compared to every other one I've listened to. It's the comedy option here because it was a sampler for Zuntata Vol. 3, Flinthook, and Captain Power but Captain Power was canceled since Gary Goddard is apparently a creep.

That Snatcher record also starts with the Konami sound and I love it for that.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

only temporary posted:

I guess this means I should probably invest in some cleaning materials. I don't typically mind it since I'm only paying $1 for most of what I've got.

For dollar / flea records you really just need a spray bottle and a couple of old tshirts and it'll make a big difference:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Unless you're going to pony up for a vacuum cleaner / VPI of some sort the best bang for your buck is just the super simple alcohol solution: %25 isopropyl alcohol (91%), %75 water (distilled if you're on the spectrum), and like one or two drops of dish soap to act as a surfactant. Apply w/ a spray or squeeze bottle, rub circularly with microfibre cloth, repeat a couple of times, let air dry for like 30 seconds.

Stoked to finally get a copy of the best BR looks-like-but-isn't-inept-thrash LP:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

only temporary posted:

It might be worth it to get a SpinClean or similar knock off. Goodwill records are nasty and will gently caress your poo poo up.

I've only put a few hundred (maybe 400?) through mine but it's been GREAT so far and I haven't even had to change the pads yet.
The genuine spin-clean cloths are fantastic too. I take slightly damp ones leftover from drying other records and use the clean side to wipe the dust and paper flakes off newly unpackaged vinyl.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah don't get a spin clean as it makes absolutely no sense. (I bought a knock-off and haven't used it in years.) Just wash your records in the sink with luke-warm water, un-scented washing-up liquid, and a non-abrasive sponge, like people did for decades. Here's why:

1) No it will not leave any sort of residue because you obviously rinse the records before leaving to dry.
2) No it will not damage the label in any way.
3) It is considerably more gentle than a knock-off spin-cleaner with a brush and just as gentle as a genuine one with sponges.
4) It's be considerably cheaper than any spin-cleaner.
5) It's quicker.

and, most importantly:

6) It has already been done to your pre-2000s second-hand record, possibly more than once.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 10, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah don't get a spin clean as it makes absolutely no sense. (I bought a knock-off and haven't used it in years.) Just wash your records in the sink with luke-warm water, un-scented washing-up liquid, and a non-abrasive sponge, like people did for decades. Here's why:

1) No it will not leave any sort of residue because you obviously rinse the records before leaving to dry.
2) No it will not damage the label in any way.
3) It is considerably more gentle than a knock-off spin-cleaner with a brush and just as gentle as a genuine one with sponges.
4) It's be considerably cheaper than any spin-cleaner.
5) It's quicker.

and, most importantly:

6) It has already been done to your pre-2000s second-hand record, possibly more than once.

Are you touching the playing surface with your hands or laying them in the sink, how do you do this?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I got a genuine spin-clean from my local record store for about $40 including a huge bottle of solution and it was definitely worth it. I don't know if I would want to pay full retail price for one, but I have to imagine it is more convenient than trying to wash a bunch of records in a sink. That isn't to say the sink isn't a perfectly viable option.

From what I have read, the key to washing records is to use the sponge on the record while it is submerged in water + whatever solution you are using. The reason is that it allows any residue you lift from the record to sink to the bottom. If you wash it outside of the water, you are basically just pushing dirt around on the record and only removing what sticks to the sponge.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've been using a Spin Clean for years and gotten good results out of it, even on incredibly filthy records. But I also bought mine when they cost about half of what they do now. If you want to go that route and save money you could just buy a cheap knock off version and buy the Spin Clean pads from their website.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Are you touching the playing surface with your hands or laying them in the sink, how do you do this?

Wear washing-up gloves if your fingers are too short to handle records without touching the playing surface. Otherwise you just... wash them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6gQ6nurR8

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Got a couple good snags in Newbury Comics this afternoon as they are still doing 25% in store, grabbed Daft Punk - Discovery for $12 and they had a clearance section of "Vinyl Accessories" so I grabbed an LP frame for my warped KMFDM - Nihil

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wear washing-up gloves if your fingers are too short to handle records without touching the playing surface. Otherwise you just... wash them.

I know that's probably okay but looking at it still makes me cringe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I know that's probably okay but looking at it still makes me cringe.

People who collected records in the 70s and 80s did this all the time and I've never heard any of them complain it damaged their precious Tasavallan Presidentti albums. As long as you make sure none of the implements are abrasive or leave behind fluff or fibres, you're alright. (I've been subjected to American toilet paper and I would not use that on my records. Then again I would not use it on my bum ever again, either. Judging by the fact that it was on a cruise ship, it wasn't even the cheapest stuff.)

One thing to remember is that LPs are not fragile.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’m a Spin Clean mark. It’s taken things from unplayable to vg+.

But I also think it’s overkill for many situations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Gonna preface this with the usual "hey I'm new to this kind of stuff and I have never washed any of my stuff yet".

I don't speak Finnish but I can tell he's talking about the paper of the label at some point. Why is it that this is safe for the label? It seems like soap and water is a great way to ruin paper and adhesive.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

One thing to remember is that LPs are not fragile.

PEDDLER OF LIES!

Framboise posted:

Gonna preface this with the usual "hey I'm new to this kind of stuff and I have never washed any of my stuff yet".

I don't speak Finnish but I can tell he's talking about the paper of the label at some point. Why is it that this is safe for the label? It seems like soap and water is a great way to ruin adhesive.

The labels are not attached with adhesive they're actually pressed into the record. The creation of the disc uses both heavy pressure and heat.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 10, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Framboise posted:

I don't speak Finnish but I can tell he's talking about the paper of the label at some point. Why is it that this is safe for the label? It seems like soap and water is a great way to ruin paper and adhesive.

You need to dry it off so it doesn't stay wet because it's still paper. That being said, I've never had a label bubble or disintegrate or anything despite having taken my time.

Although a bit of BingTMing does lead to a lot of warnings about the labels coming off in the sink and the ink running... but absolutely no visual proof of that ever having happened so :shrug: If anyone has managed to ruin their record label with water and/or soap, I'd like to see it.

e: Personally I think it's just baseless lies because most stuff on record/audio enthusiast websites is. Keep in mind these are the same people who think Mexicans can't make audio cartridges, analogue jitter exists, and hot-gluing a bent staple on your 69€ 15€ cartridge will make it sound better. So I'll keep washing my records in the sink until it all goes horribly wrong :mrgw:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 10, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Some labels are immediately damaged if you get them wet. I’ve had that happen plenty of times. I only wash thrift store crap in the sink so it’s never bothered me but it completely depends on the label.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The labels will be fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGq2NHilCI0

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Some labels are immediately damaged if you get them wet. I’ve had that happen plenty of times. I only wash thrift store crap in the sink so it’s never bothered me but it completely depends on the label.

Anything to narrow it down?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anything to narrow it down?

Some are waxier and do fine, some are more papery and show spots if you get them wet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

You need to dry it off so it doesn't stay wet because it's still paper. That being said, I've never had a label bubble or disintegrate or anything despite having taken my time.

Although a bit of BingTMing does lead to a lot of warnings about the labels coming off in the sink and the ink running... but absolutely no visual proof of that ever having happened so :shrug: If anyone has managed to ruin their record label with water and/or soap, I'd like to see it.

e: Personally I think it's just baseless lies because most stuff on record/audio enthusiast websites is. Keep in mind these are the same people who think Mexicans can't make audio cartridges, analogue jitter exists, and hot-gluing a bent staple on your 69€ 15€ cartridge will make it sound better. So I'll keep washing my records in the sink until it all goes horribly wrong :mrgw:

This 50 year old guy I worked with many year back used to give me catalogs he had from Acoustic Sounds and other companies that sell hilariously over priced snake oil. Some of the poo poo they they sell is insane. One thing I remember that still cracks me up is these little wooden stands you put your speaker cables on so they don't touch the floor if you have carpeting because apparently that can ruin the sound. And of course they had all the usual hocus pocus like gold plated wall sockets and those markers you use to draw lines on the edges of CDs to prevent the lasers from escaping out the sides and ruining the audio fidelity. For years I didn't like telling people I collect records because they would always assume I was on the of those kind of nutcases who bought into all that crap. To this day I can't stand to be called an audiophile.

BigFactory posted:

Some are waxier and do fine, some are more papery and show spots if you get them wet.

Some white label promo records are like this because the paper is rougher and the printing seems to be more like an ink on paper deal if that makes any sense.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ahahaha I thought this was legit and then he pulled the loving crystals out

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Heads up for people who enjoy albums that are perfectly fine, I guess: Schnitzel just put up the pre-orders for Ween's La Cucaracha.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The album that answers the question “what would it sound like if ween made a smash mouth parody”

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Heads up for people who enjoy albums that are perfectly fine, I guess: Schnitzel just put up the pre-orders for Ween's La Cucaracha.

I love Ween, but 30 pounds for basically Woman and Man is hard to stomache.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Maybe the first pressings will plummet due to the repress. Those suckers were a cool hundo-plus for a split second.

I did pay $25 for Woman and Man though and regret nothing. Eh. I really love about half that album and the rest is good, just not great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Maybe the first pressings will plummet due to the repress. Those suckers were a cool hundo-plus for a split second.

I did pay $25 for Woman and Man though and regret nothing. Eh. I really love about half that album and the rest is good, just not great.

That would make sense but I find that reissues rarely effect the price of first pressings often even when the reissue has superior sound.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Only first-press is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks, by the way. I am going to listen to these! I just haven't had the chance yet.