Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Elissimpark posted:

It's bad enough we don't get regular Dr Pepper as a local soft drink in Australia anymore but now I find out there's a cherry version too.

I hate this timeline.

What city are you in? The American Food Store in Melbourne stocks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The best Dr Pepper was that limited time I guess berries & cream flavor they did of it for a pretty good while, I'd kill a man in cold blood if it'd put me in supply of that again.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Bring back Josta. If you are going to re-release a lovely crystal pepsi clone the least you can do is re-release the purple proto energy drink soda.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Bring back Josta. If you are going to re-release a lovely crystal pepsi clone the least you can do is re-release the purple proto energy drink soda.

No don't, then I'll start drinking soda again and I need to not do that. That stuff was unimaginably good.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gripweed posted:

more of them are cool with being nazis than you'd think

personally held popular opjnion: gently caress this person

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Adam Ruins Oatmeal is excellent:
-Steel cut, non-instant
-1 Tbsp soy sauce
-1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
-Scallions for some crunch

The Twitter thread suggested I add some sauteed spinach and a fried egg. They were correct.
I also added a slice of turkey bacon and like 1/5 a jalapeño, fried. Also good choices.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Savoury oatmeal blows some peoples minds and idgi. It’s like grits or rice, 95% of the flavour is what you add to it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So it's just congee? Sounds good to me. You can add literally anything to it.

Only thing missing is some grated ginger.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Feb 10, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Congee was one of the comparisons drawn in the aforementioned Twitter thread. I'll have a look at a recipe for it later. I only had "instant" steel cut available, but it still turned out amazing and I'm gonna make so much more of this stuff. :yum:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the only good oatmeal for me is plain, salty oatmeal. no sweet poo poo put in it. same goes for meats. i dont want your loving 100% sugary steak sauce on my perfectly cooked ribeye, nor do i want the most bitter steak sauce globbed all over it. just let me eat the meat as it is. and another thing: I hate smoky meat when it's not perfect. when it is perfect, it's a nice hint upon the baked flavor of the meat with the spices and all, but when its not its like i'm eating edible coal. i do not want to eat coal, that's what I learned from my first and fifth christmas celebrations

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

the only good oatmeal for me is plain, salty oatmeal. no sweet poo poo put in it. same goes for meats. i dont want your loving 100% sugary steak sauce on my perfectly cooked ribeye, nor do i want the most bitter steak sauce globbed all over it. just let me eat the meat as it is. and another thing: I hate smoky meat when it's not perfect. when it is perfect, it's a nice hint upon the baked flavor of the meat with the spices and all, but when its not its like i'm eating edible coal. i do not want to eat coal, that's what I learned from my first and fifth christmas celebrations

Mr..... Mr. Hill?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No, he's quite correct. gently caress sugar in anything it doesn't need to be in. There is no goddamn reason to put it in three quarters of the things the American sugar cane and corn lobbies mandate it be put in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tubgoat posted:

No, he's quite correct. gently caress sugar in anything it doesn't need to be in. There is no goddamn reason to put it in three quarters of the things the American sugar cane and corn lobbies mandate it be put in.

I dunno man, you ever have ketchup or peanut butter without any sugar in them? Terrible.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Idk that you read the other 3/4s of the post bc I agree with you

And in defense of america’s candy bread, people exaggerate it like it’s some vision quest to get regular non-corn-syruped bread. If you care at all there’s plenty of actual decent bread. You just have to look at all instead of grabbing a package- you may even have to slice the loaf yourself :(

Unless you’re one of many americans whose circumstances prevent that and just wants some loving bread for easy meals. In that case, you know her real issue- the glorious free market

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Feb 10, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

I recently moved to the UK from Holland and gently caress is everything sugary and disgusting here.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Idk that you read the other 3/4s of the post bc I agree with you

And in defense of america’s candy bread, people exaggerate it like it’s some vision quest to get regular non-corn-syruped bread. If you care at all there’s plenty of actual decent bread. You just have to look at all instead of grabbing a package- you may even have to slice the loaf yourself :(

Unless you’re one of many americans whose circumstances prevent that and just wants some loving bread for easy meals. In that case, you know her real issue- the glorious free market

i'll tell ya, even though the whole "gluten-free" craze was asinine, it did end up creating some new options for people who literally can't have gluten, and that's always a nice thing. the only bread I eat is Jewish Rye & Pumpernickel swirl.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then let them eat rice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

there's a good reason that the gluten free fad became a thing. Everybody feels rundown and tired all the time. Everybody wants an excuse, something they can do to feel OK. Stop eating gluten, start drinking smoothies, do whatever "yoga" is, etc

Of course the reason everyone is rundown isn't because of their personal day to day decisions, it's a systemic problem. You know what I mean

https://twitter.com/socializm_/status/1094458456445210625

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone shits all over La Croix and the insufferable hipsters that latched on to it are terrible but the flavored sparkling water craze of the past few years helped me quit soda when literally nothing else would work. I spent years trying Mios, plain water, diet sodas, whatever but with those Bubly/La Croix drinks I haven't had or wanted soda in over a year.

The main criticism seems to be how lovely they taste but that's usually down to the person being a sucrose golem that needs liquid diabetes to survive. Once you adapt to not ingesting a pound of sugar every day the taste is pretty great and soda seems so sugary it's disgusting.

The best are the wholefoods brand though, which doesn't help the hipster image.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Whitlam posted:

What city are you in? The American Food Store in Melbourne stocks it.

Yeah, but it's imported and I don't feel like paying billions* of dollars for a teensy little can anytime I feel like a taste of the good doctor.

I know Costco has it more cheaply too, but I live in Tasmania, a place so uncivilized, we don't even have Aldi. I'm not sure I could justify jamming a 30 pack in my suitcase when I fly.

*Okay, maybe just a couple

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

there's a good reason that the gluten free fad became a thing. Everybody feels rundown and tired all the time. Everybody wants an excuse, something they can do to feel OK. Stop eating gluten, start drinking smoothies, do whatever "yoga" is, etc

Of course the reason everyone is rundown isn't because of their personal day to day decisions, it's a systemic problem. You know what I mean

nice meme, onto better memes:

I really, really liked Dead Island (unpopular), and I also really, really like Dying Light (popular)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

The best Dr Pepper was that limited time I guess berries & cream flavor they did of it for a pretty good while, I'd kill a man in cold blood if it'd put me in supply of that again.

that poo poo was gross man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Netflix should make streams where they have a set schedule of stuff playing 24/7. So instead of looking for something to watch you could just turn on the documentary stream, or the comedy stream, and watch whatever's on.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

Netflix should make streams where they have a set schedule of stuff playing 24/7. So instead of looking for something to watch you could just turn on the documentary stream, or the comedy stream, and watch whatever's on.

I like the idea, but if it was anything like the music streaming services I wouldn't be a big fan of it. Like pandora sometimes gets things right and plays a new song I haven't heard and like, but I skip more songs than I listen to. I feel like a movie stream that guesses what you want to watch would be the same way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I like the idea, but if it was anything like the music streaming services I wouldn't be a big fan of it. Like pandora sometimes gets things right and plays a new song I haven't heard and like, but I skip more songs than I listen to. I feel like a movie stream that guesses what you want to watch would be the same way.

no, it wouldn't guess what you want, it would be the same for everyone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I still think most of the stuff would end up being skip-worthy. There just isn't enough good material out there to fill 24 hours a day for more than like a week.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

I would agree but that means turning on the comedy stream means a good chance of Seth Rogen or Kevin Hart movies playing and I'd really rather avoid that

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if Netflix wouldn't do that because it just doesn't give them enough data. They want to know exactly what title you clicked on, how long you watched, did multiple sittings or all at once, etc. Just putting on a stream in the background means an unengaged viewer and probably uses up unnecessary bandwidth. It's not like they can serve up ads during these marathons.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not like they can serve up ads during these marathons.

Why not? Amazon prime does it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wouldn’t compare a Netflix Random to the music equivalent. TV just gets used a different way. Like, my one big criticism of being streaming-only compared to classic cable is there’s no equivalent to just turning on a half decent channel and having it go. Streaming and podcasts, which are my go-tos now, well I’ll end up half-listening to something I actually am interested in and having to rewatch/listen later. With good old cable I could do whatever while having my cartoons/star trek/sci fi originals/mantracker/etc just play on the day’s shows and watch, listen, or ignore without missing anything.

If I could just hit a genre, select movies/tv/mix, and get a random spew of content with ads I’d use it for sure when cooking, painting, cleaning, etc

Also, literally everyone should get spotify premium. 90% of music I would ever want, on demand, for the cost of one fast food meal a month.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why not? Amazon prime does it.

I've been watching Star Trek shows the past few weeks on Prime and haven't seen an ad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I still think most of the stuff would end up being skip-worthy. There just isn't enough good material out there to fill 24 hours a day for more than like a week.

There are 264 episodes of Frasier. they could have an hour long Frasier block on the comedy channel every day and only go into repeats after four months. There is so much content out there, dude. Seriously.

But of course everyone's definition of good is different. Some of it you won't like. Some of it you will. Some of it you think you wouldn't like but if you watch it you find out it's not bad. One of the benefits of my streams idea is that you'd be exposed to things you wouldn't normally select for yourself.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I used to find Frasier amusing but can't anymore after finding out Kelsey Grammer is a chud. :<

There oughtta be a channel of just Better Off Ted, and more episodes of it to fill it out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Better Off Ted was awesome. At least it got a sort of good ending.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The machine that beeps when executives talk? Or was there supplemental material on a DVD release that I missed?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, just Ted and Linda finally getting together and Phil and Lem getting their VD belts.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The VD belts was... two episodes earlier than that, I believe? Netflix swapped around some of the latter episodes in the past couple yesrs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VD belts was the last episode when it was airing. Wish it was still on Netflix though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

I dunno man, you ever have ketchup or peanut butter without any sugar in them? Terrible.
100% peanuts, no salt, no sugar, no anything else, is the only sort of peanut butter worth eating. Peanut butter with sugar in it is awful.

Gripweed posted:

Isn't that just TV? TV still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

100% peanuts, no salt, no sugar, no anything else, is the only sort of peanut butter worth eating. Peanut butter with sugar in it is awful.

You did it Tiggum you found the joke