Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Have a couple of truly pristine vehicles on the way

1991 Toyota LandCruiser Prado, one owner, 92,000 total km, and a 1990 Subaru Domingo, one owner, 15,000 total km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

KakerMix posted:

Have a couple of truly pristine vehicles on the way

1991 Toyota LandCruiser Prado, one owner, 92,000 total km, and a 1990 Subaru Domingo, one owner, 15,000 total km.

Uhhhhhh ... is that LC spoken for? :swoon:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Braincloud posted:

Uhhhhhh ... is that LC spoken for? :swoon:

By my wife yeah, we've had a short wheelbase 2 door one for a while now and it's just been great, if a bit small. This is identical down to being a narrow body version just the top trim 4 door version. And 100k less kms on it. Who knows though, we change our minds constantly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Another RX7 joins the family. It’s ugly and rusty but has a freshly built streetported motor running Haltech, full RB exhaust, some random coilovers and my favorite RX7 wheels. Might keep it as-is if the underside is any good and replace the windshield and tail light. If it’s rotted underneath I’ll pull all the drivetrain stuff, glass and interior and scrap the shell.

Before cleaning

After. I can live with ugly but the tail light is a big issue.

Interior is pretty complete and usable. Took the seats out and vacuumed then used the carpet machine to get rid of the nastiness.

Motor is a streetported S4 TII just not turbo’d anymore. Reliable sources have seen this car make 200whp.

Random coilovers

https://youtu.be/AzOk-QVrt6s

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It was raining like hell today so I drove my NA Miata for the first time in a while where it's needed the lights on, and I forgot how large a chunk of your vision that those pop-up headlights take up. :discourse:
It was also the first time I've ever driven it with the roof up.

Also holy hell I also forgot how poo poo window defoggers were in (non-European) cars in 1991.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've owned my abarth cabrio for... 4 years? I think I've driven it with the top up at most 5 times.

Every time it's like I'm driving a new, much smaller, car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Finally prepped the Pajero for sale and daaaangg it looks rad as all hell.

EDIT

Also this pup

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 7, 2019

stump
Jan 19, 2006

^^That Pajero is gorgeous. There are so few of that era left in the UK.

I've not had a commute for a few years, and I've been getting shiny new hire cars through work so I've not really needed a car lately. On the weekend I had my wife's car whenever I needed it. But then last Friday I got sent a message telling me about a car for sale for £150. MOT till September. Only one problem, her name is Rio and she is a piece of poo poo.

It was legal and theoretically roadworthy, so home it came. It was missing a wing mirror, which will hopefully arrive today, and probably hadn't had a service in 7 years so I bunged it into quick fit for a £50 oil and filter because it was cold outside.

The only other problem was a complete lack of traction. A lovely 1.3 with maybe about 80 horsepower shouldn't torque steer like a fast Vauxhall. All the tyres were legal, but the front two gave no grip and one of the back ones was original to the car. Did i mention this heap only has 33,500 miles? Luckily found a set of Corsa steels wiht Yoko winters with on gumtree for £30, all four tyres would have done in a pinch, but only one was up to the standards I have so such a powerful car, so another 3 new Vredestein winters fitted for £140. I got a set of spigot rings (other than bore the wheels were the perfect fit) and stuck them on today. The reason behind the steels (and investing more than the purchase price in rubber) is that I won't lose the tyres if this heap doesn't pass it's next MOT, I can take them off and sell them or chuck them on my Mum's Corsa.

Despite the outward appearance, harrowing MOT history and tide marks it's actually kinda solid where it matters, the suspension feels straight and it has new wheel bearings on the back. I guess it might need an alignment still, but with the new tyres it feels decent on the road. It's got dents on the bonnet and roof, scratches on every panel, and a leak in the boot but I'm quite pleased with it, and I think the steels make it look slightly less gimpy. Oh and I had a sony bluetooth headunit kickcing about so I threw that in too - the speakers seem surprisingly good too. The controls are generally horrible, but honestly it adds to the charm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My condolences.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

KakerMix posted:

Also this pup

Can I get a price check on that Doggo please? Bitcoin accepted?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

stump posted:

^^That Pajero is gorgeous. There are so few of that era left in the UK.

I've not had a commute for a few years, and I've been getting shiny new hire cars through work so I've not really needed a car lately. On the weekend I had my wife's car whenever I needed it. But then last Friday I got sent a message telling me about a car for sale for £150. MOT till September. Only one problem, her name is Rio and she is a piece of poo poo.

It was legal and theoretically roadworthy, so home it came. It was missing a wing mirror, which will hopefully arrive today, and probably hadn't had a service in 7 years so I bunged it into quick fit for a £50 oil and filter because it was cold outside.

The only other problem was a complete lack of traction. A lovely 1.3 with maybe about 80 horsepower shouldn't torque steer like a fast Vauxhall. All the tyres were legal, but the front two gave no grip and one of the back ones was original to the car. Did i mention this heap only has 33,500 miles? Luckily found a set of Corsa steels wiht Yoko winters with on gumtree for £30, all four tyres would have done in a pinch, but only one was up to the standards I have so such a powerful car, so another 3 new Vredestein winters fitted for £140. I got a set of spigot rings (other than bore the wheels were the perfect fit) and stuck them on today. The reason behind the steels (and investing more than the purchase price in rubber) is that I won't lose the tyres if this heap doesn't pass it's next MOT, I can take them off and sell them or chuck them on my Mum's Corsa.

Despite the outward appearance, harrowing MOT history and tide marks it's actually kinda solid where it matters, the suspension feels straight and it has new wheel bearings on the back. I guess it might need an alignment still, but with the new tyres it feels decent on the road. It's got dents on the bonnet and roof, scratches on every panel, and a leak in the boot but I'm quite pleased with it, and I think the steels make it look slightly less gimpy. Oh and I had a sony bluetooth headunit kickcing about so I threw that in too - the speakers seem surprisingly good too. The controls are generally horrible, but honestly it adds to the charm.

Pretty sure wheelbearings should last longer than 33,000 miles....

stump
Jan 19, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Pretty sure wheelbearings should last longer than 33,000 miles....

There was some advisories on the last MOT for gubbed bearings and some very new hardware on the rear axle. If somebody clocked it (seriously, why?) the 04 date code tyre on the back was lasting well. If it was the garage ripping them off you’d think they’d have convinced them to replace the missing mirror.... somehow it’s had a missing mirror as an advisory since 2015 :iiam:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
My Frs is being a dumb shitpile that breaks every other month. After a nice 170mi tow and getting home at 1am, I decided I had strayed a bit to far into Automotive insanity for a daily driver for the past two years and wouldn’t mind something reliable and most importantly: blue.

2019 Civic si Sedan. I joked about it in the last autocross thread but there’s really nothing close to as good out of the box with a warranty for under 40k. The civic sport is close but I wanted the pimp shocks and a diff.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 8, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Best color choice and proper 4 doors, nice :)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

stump posted:

There was some advisories on the last MOT for gubbed bearings and some very new hardware on the rear axle. If somebody clocked it (seriously, why?) the 04 date code tyre on the back was lasting well. If it was the garage ripping them off you’d think they’d have convinced them to replace the missing mirror.... somehow it’s had a missing mirror as an advisory since 2015 :iiam:

Maybe the previous owner liked to smash the wheels into kerbs?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Muffinpox posted:

My Frs is being a dumb shitpile that breaks every other month. After a nice 170mi tow and getting home at 1am, I decided I had strayed a bit to far into Automotive insanity for a daily driver for the past two years and wouldn’t mind something reliable and most importantly: blue.

2019 Civic si Sedan. I joked about it in the last autocross thread but there’s really nothing close to as good out of the box with a warranty for under 40k. The civic sport is close but I wanted the pimp shocks and a diff.

My e90 had recently started down the road to becoming a shitpile as well, and the bottom was dropping out of its value so I decided to cut my losses on it and go back to Honda.

30 years ago right after we moved to the US, the first car my mom bought was a white ‘89 Civic and although that wasn’t an Si, I feel like this is still appropriately cyclical. I’ve had a LOT of Hondas and this one is going to serve its purpose well now that I lost my partner at work and I’ll be putting more miles on regularly.

I previously had a ‘13 Si and this feels nicely updated but very similar, but I kinda like this 1.5t better than the K24. I also briefly looked at the Sport but for the $1900 or so difference, the Si was a better package.

I still have the stupid rotary project cars and the hilarious FXT(my favorite) but a sensible dose of daily driver is probably a good thing for a dummy like me.

TL;DR: good choice in car, Muffinpox!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Another RX7 joins the family. It’s ugly and rusty but has a freshly built streetported motor running Haltech, full RB exhaust, some random coilovers and my favorite RX7 wheels. Might keep it as-is if the underside is any good and replace the windshield and tail light. If it’s rotted underneath I’ll pull all the drivetrain stuff, glass and interior and scrap the shell.

Before cleaning

After. I can live with ugly but the tail light is a big issue.

Interior is pretty complete and usable. Took the seats out and vacuumed then used the carpet machine to get rid of the nastiness.

Motor is a streetported S4 TII just not turbo’d anymore. Reliable sources have seen this car make 200whp.

Random coilovers

https://youtu.be/AzOk-QVrt6s

Non turbo t2 how weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stump
Jan 19, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Maybe the previous owner liked to smash the wheels into kerbs?

Likely. The shitbox just did 220 miles through storm Erik carrying 3 big lads and a boot full of kit. It was not quick. And rear legroom is zero. But we survived, albeit with a newly slowing ABS light. It goes off when you restart and only comes back on at 70. So that’s not getting fixed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think I just bought a yellow 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec V in good condition for like $500. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, but hard to pass that up.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

fridge corn posted:

Non turbo t2 how weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go back to your Italian things! Leave me and my wayward rotaries alone!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

I think I just bought a yellow 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec V in good condition for like $500. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, but hard to pass that up.

I remember when that came out, and this may have been before YouTube or just early YouTube, there was some video where they just completely gutted it, maybe even removing rear windows or at least all the seats, put donuts on the rear wheels and ran 1/4 miles. Can't remember what kind of times it got but anyway: do that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

davebo posted:

I remember when that came out, and this may have been before YouTube or just early YouTube, there was some video where they just completely gutted it, maybe even removing rear windows or at least all the seats, put donuts on the rear wheels and ran 1/4 miles. Can't remember what kind of times it got but anyway: do that.

My neighbor has been pestering me to get into autocross with him, so that might not be far off. Picked it up this afternoon, fun little car, drives like a go-kart. It's like 0 degrees out though so this is enough pics for now.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Go back to your Italian things! Leave me and my wayward rotaries alone!

We had an F50 show up today

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

fridge corn posted:

We had an F50 show up today

Yes but did it have a 26B in it? The ultimate sacrilege!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yes but did it have a 26B in it? The ultimate sacrilege!

If I ever end up owning an F50 I now know what id do with it, thanks!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

You mean this??

Not a video, an article in Sport Compact Car. By Dave Coleman IIRC, who now works at Mazda.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If I recall, the car was hideously over-sprung at that point.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Enos Cabell posted:

My neighbor has been pestering me to get into autocross with him, so that might not be far off. Picked it up this afternoon, fun little car, drives like a go-kart. It's like 0 degrees out though so this is enough pics for now.

If you have rallycross locally the are a beast in stock classes. Decent power and LSD.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Bought the most appliance-y of appliance cars

It's an ex-Japan 2012 with about 18,000km on the clock, perfect interior and exterior and a good battery (well relatively anyway, good for one that old). Just waiting for the dealer to do registration and have another key made so should have it delivered on Wednesday.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It’s really the ultimate people’s car. A combination of a Prius and a fun car is pretty much all you need

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Charles posted:

You mean this??

Not a video, an article in Sport Compact Car. By Dave Coleman IIRC, who now works at Mazda.

Yeah that's it! I didn't remember it got that chopped up. Are you sure there wasn't a video to go with it though? I thought I remembered seeing it moving. Although if it was only an article with photos that would explain why I could never find the video years later.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I need to stop being lazy about editing pictures I take with my DSLR.

When I was home for christmas.

A storm last month ago that was supposed to drop 1-2 feet of snow but we ended up with maybe 5" of ice pellets.

I've been washing it at least once every two weeks. Luckily there's an automated car wash on drive home from work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Yeah that's it! I didn't remember it got that chopped up. Are you sure there wasn't a video to go with it though? I thought I remembered seeing it moving. Although if it was only an article with photos that would explain why I could never find the video years later.

Are you thinking of the Vette Hack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfpQTAFoTU4

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Charles posted:

You mean this??

Yes and it’s a reason mazda launches are so interesting. He does amazing tech briefings.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Charles posted:

You mean this??

Made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKWrMLfCBuE

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fridge corn posted:

If I ever end up owning an F50 I now know what id do with it, thanks!

There's a factory racing 13G 3-rotor on RacingJunk now:
https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/183152755/Mazda-13G-3-rotor-.html

Only $13K.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

No but I don't think I had ever seen that one so thanks!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Darchangel posted:

Only $13K.

:stwoon:

Uh...I think I might have to start selling some things...why is it that cheap?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Charles posted:

You mean this??

I remember the hell out of this article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Only $13K.

Why, why did you post this. *Quickly sells kidney*