Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terrible Opinions posted:

It depends on the game, and the translator. Especially with dialogue heavy games where the first parts are really well polished, but later on either the writing itself or the translating quality takes a nose dive because they expect your previous good will to carry you through, or just because hey hard deadlines.

This is true but you dont really see that anymore. Persona 5 is probably the closest but it’s weird translation is more tedious than funny. You don’t get FF7s anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most JRPG dialogue is fine and not particularly funny even if you don’t like it but hey you do you.

sorry, i more meant KH. I play some Jrpgs and they are fine if maybe quirky. Kingdom hearts is just needlessly convoluted. then again the closest i get to a JRPG is Yakuza.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 10, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Kingdom Hearts just feels like the strangest possible execution of a good idea: a game where you visit various disney properties in a big fun cross over.

Except barely any disney characters interact with each other outside of their own worlds.
Also final fantasy guys are here too I guess?
And the story is heavily focused on it's own original overcomplicated mythology and characters that have nothing to do with either part of the cross over.

Like idgi.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well KH3 actively cuts off any FF characters so you have a lot of very boring Disney worlds that either recap the movie really poorly or use a really barebones original story.

Honestly the the actual original story is the only interesting part and it takes a while to get to it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the performative cluelessness about kingdom hearts is tiring

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lessail posted:

Should've made sora a sad dad

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
50 minute walk and talk section where sora tries to bond with goofy through beautifuĺy rendered forests of pixars brave while santaolaya flosses his teeth with guitar strings

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Insert that picture of Doug except with the caption "Why do people play Kingdom Hearts"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Kingdom Hearts doesn't let Tigger dropkick a motherfucker.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when i first heard about kingdom hearts i figured it would be something like House of Mouse where you'd get disney characters from different properties hanging out together and making interesting chemistry. it was disappointing that was only the case for your party and maybe Maleficent but it was still a really good-feeling action rpg for the time aside from the platforming being annoying sometimes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lessail posted:

I played through and enjoyed KH1, Chain of Memories, and KH2 and I still don't really understand what the gently caress is going on.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Fabricated posted:

I played through and enjoyed KH1, Chain of Memories, and KH2 and I still don't really understand what the gently caress is going on.

I highly doubt that since one of the actual problems with kh3 is how it'll stop things completely to explain plots of past games

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually played most of the side games. The final few hours of 3 were still largely incomprehensible references to things I wasn't familiar with because as it turns out, the few extremely marginal entries I never touched became vital.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

KH3 has all of the same problems as big event stories for long running comic books that expect you to remember the years of accumulated story events. All of the actual things that happens is fairly simple, but there are just so many that it is hard to remember all of them necessitating the characters explaining things in story and thus making the narrative even longer and more bloated. Also like comic books the series refuses to let anyone stay dead, and as a result the list of similar looking people you're supposed to keep track of balloons to enormous proportions without really adding anything.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mr Phillby posted:

Kingdom Hearts just feels like the strangest possible execution of a good idea: a game where you visit various disney properties in a big fun cross over.

Except barely any disney characters interact with each other outside of their own worlds.
Also final fantasy guys are here too I guess?
And the story is heavily focused on it's own original overcomplicated mythology and characters that have nothing to do with either part of the cross over.

Like idgi.

The explanation is that there is an order to be maintained in every Disney world, which is why they can't be told about other worlds or anything that invades their own from the outside. Only Mickey and his subordinates know what's going on, and they're tasked with maintaining that order. The Square characters just kinda exist as set pieces; Hades uses some of them for his plans, the Gullwings are there but as bad fairies, and some grew up with Sora and crew on Destiny Island.

Don't think too hard about it, I guess. In reality, it's probably that Disney as a company has rules for these things, and Kingdom Hearts can't have Frozen characters meet Jack Sparrow because of policy.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Imagine mashing the attack button for 60 hours but instead of whatever nonsense its usually about, we get the satisfyng character development of mike wazowski grieving over frozen's suicide but thanks to woody's support he gets over it.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
CSI: kingdom hearts

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

lobster22221 posted:

CSI: kingdom hearts

How dare you threaten me with a good time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

How dare you threaten me with a good time.

[David Caruso removes his sunglasses to reveal another pair of sunglasses]

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Seems like Noah finally managed to get his Dead Space video up

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

A lot of Japanese writing ends up falling REALLY flat for Western ears without a good localization job, because as a language (like most non-English languages, really) it relies on a lot fewer words to convey meaning, so people saying the same few nouns over and over doesn't sound as bizarre. (It also puts a lot of the heavy lifting, nuance-wise, onto particular details of pronunciation and context that can be a nightmare to translate.)

So that particular aspect of the writing is on the localization team.

The absolutely unnecessary complexity to a fairly straightforward story (and the proliferation of new Original Characters Do Not Steal) is all on Nomura, though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you think of KH as a crossover between Disney and Square, resulting in a jrpg kid going on a melodramatic jrpg quest but it’s Disney World, then it succeeds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

looks like

someone's taking the mickey

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

If you think of KH as a crossover between Disney and Square, resulting in a jrpg kid going on a melodramatic jrpg quest but it’s Disney World, then it succeeds.

I mean for the most part their really isn’t much crossover, Disney stays on its side and square on its.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

A lot of Japanese writing ends up falling REALLY flat for Western ears without a good localization job, because as a language (like most non-English languages, really) it relies on a lot fewer words to convey meaning, so people saying the same few nouns over and over doesn't sound as bizarre. (It also puts a lot of the heavy lifting, nuance-wise, onto particular details of pronunciation and context that can be a nightmare to translate.)

So that particular aspect of the writing is on the localization team.

in particular, it probably falls on voice director Bob Buchholtz, who's handled every Kingdom Hearts after the first game and whose itinerary is like a graveyard of wasted talent

virtually every SE property where everyone speaks in that robotic, stilted monotone has him at the helm, including Advent Children and the transcendentally bad Type-0 localization

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 10, 2019

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lessail posted:

Glad to see someone else saying this, because it is this weird song and dance that the internet does every time KH comes up

But if you act exasperatedly to describe any sci-fi or fantasy plot you get the same results

“And the the guy who was stalking luke has magic powers????? And a sword that’s like....a laser for some reason? And a giant ball? That...kills planets? Smh”

Why people choose this particular franchise to huff and puff about is so weird

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that one song they used in ads for the first game is a banger.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Glad to see someone else saying this, because it is this weird song and dance that the internet does every time KH comes up

But if you act exasperatedly to describe any sci-fi or fantasy plot you get the same results

“And the the guy who was stalking luke has magic powers????? And a sword that’s like....a laser for some reason? And a giant ball? That...kills planets? Smh”

Why people choose this particular franchise to huff and puff about is so weird

the better comparison is the SWEU which has gems like Luuke Skywalker

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The thing is bad but it's bad on purpose so it's actually good, dummy.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Acute Grill posted:

The thing is bad but it's bad on purpose so it's actually good, dummy.

jokes on you, I was only pretending to be dumb.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
alright if KH is such a good story that's so easy to understand, why don't you explain it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Kingdom Hearts 3 sounds like it's one of those sequels that's next-gen, but they took so long to get their bearings on the new-tech that there's less content this time. KH1 had 13 worlds, KH2 and 15 worlds, and KH3 has 10 worlds. Twilight Town and 100 Acre Wood return but much smaller in size and the 10th world only contains a boss-rush. So all the heavy lifting is the remaining 7 worlds. There's a massive sandbox in the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, but who the gently caress remembers those movies?

There's also only 1 superboss, no colosseum, and all the Final Fantasy characters have been kicked out of their own crossover.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 11, 2019

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think Clemps does a pretty decent summary that covers what I assume are the basics while also pointing out a lot of the pointless silliness.

Though it requires you to be OK with sitting through a weird British dweeb, so YMMV.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Some manchild who can't get over the new Star Wars movies destroyes over 2 thousand pieces of Star Wars memorabilia

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They didn’t dissolve them nearly enough. I was promised goop!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's stronger than Acetone that would give use a pleasing uniform sludge, but won't burn a hole through the floor?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
OH come on, don't do other people's homework for them, what's the fun in that.

Guess I could watch that. KH1+2 were my dorm's favorite group play but they kind of liked the Disney parts and making fun of it lightly (joking about replacing "hearts" with "pants" in the script)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 sounds like it's one of those sequels that's next-gen, but they took so long to get their bearings on the new-tech that there's less content this time. KH1 had 13 worlds, KH2 and 15 worlds, and KH3 has 10 worlds. Twilight Town and 100 Acre Wood return but much smaller in size and the 10th world only contains a boss-rush. So all the heavy lifting is the remaining 7 worlds. There's a massive sandbox in the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, but who the gently caress remembers those movies?

There's also only 1 superboss, no colosseum, and all the Final Fantasy characters have been kicked out of their own crossover.

The main Disney worlds are the size of 2 or 3 of the old worlds.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They didn’t dissolve them nearly enough. I was promised goop!

Should have let then stew longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roth posted:

The main Disney worlds are the size of 2 or 3 of the old worlds.

There is a LOT of padding in those Worlds though, and some are almost certainly unfinished. Frozen has you running up the mountain three. Times. Because you get knocked down again juuust as you reach Elsa's castle twice. And that's the entire World, aside from a cutscene on the frozen lake.