Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

5+6's most unforgivable crimes are trading in zombies for like a dozen other wacky monster things. 5 had the most nondescript black goop tentacle poo poo while RE6 went almost into Tolkin poo poo with these big giants and other poo poo. Granted, 1 thru 3 had Hunters/Tyrants/a giant worm but kept the number of whackjob poo poo to a minimum while letting the undead be the real focus. I guess that's hard to do when you don't have tight spaces to dodge them in but ah well. RE4 mostly stuck to the slow, weapon-equipped Ganados and cultists with some oddball guys like the Regenerators and the claw dudes.

RE7 is also guilty of having pretty lame enemy design but I forgive it due to being an actual survival horror + Jack and Marguerite are great.

Anyway beat Claire B after almost having no ammo left. I was mildly disappointed when the ending did not include a future glimpse into Leon being taken into custody with Sherry but ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

RE5 is real bad. People are saying it's good in co-op, but that's true for almost every game with co-op since being with a friend can make almost anything good.

Hilariously, this is not true for RE6. I was playing that poo poo with the same friend I played RE5 through with and it was just a slog.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

eventually in the distant future RE5 and RE6 are gonna occupy the same space as Code Veronica and 0 do in peoples brains. this isnt really a statement about the quality of any of the above (ambivalent, ambivalent, ambivalent, active dislike) but just how fandom goes.

DLC Inc posted:

5+6's most unforgivable crimes are trading in zombies for like a dozen other wacky monster things. 5 had the most nondescript black goop tentacle poo poo while RE6 went almost into Tolkin poo poo with these big giants and other poo poo. Granted, 1 thru 3 had Hunters/Tyrants/a giant worm but kept the number of whackjob poo poo to a minimum while letting the undead be the real focus. I guess that's hard to do when you don't have tight spaces to dodge them in but ah well. RE4 mostly stuck to the slow, weapon-equipped Ganados and cultists with some oddball guys like the Regenerators and the claw dudes.

RE7 is also guilty of having pretty lame enemy design but I forgive it due to being an actual survival horror + Jack and Marguerite are great.

Anyway beat Claire B after almost having no ammo left. I was mildly disappointed when the ending did not include a future glimpse into Leon being taken into custody with Sherry but ah well.

no one should forgive RE7 enemies for 1) all being the same thing and 2) having no feedback whatsoever. and the second point is WAY worse on the bosses, especially Marguerite who i genuinely dont know if she has some iframes or she just doesnt react to literally anything you do to her.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a reason 4th Survivor Mode has aim assist turned on by the way? Was it their way of balancing the large enemy volume?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

Is there a reason 4th Survivor Mode has aim assist turned on by the way? Was it their way of balancing the large enemy volume?
I think people have been speculating that's it actually set on Assisted in general, its also why HUNK can take more of a beating.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mr. Maggy posted:

Hilariously, this is not true for RE6. I was playing that poo poo with the same friend I played RE5 through with and it was just a slog.

Exact same experience. After RE5 we did a bunch of runs on other difficulties just for S-ranks, and after RE6 we were just like... well, not doing that again for a while.

There's definitely fun to be had with RE6 but the pacing is absolute trash.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

no one should forgive RE7 enemies for 1) all being the same thing and 2) having no feedback whatsoever. and the second point is WAY worse on the bosses, especially Marguerite who i genuinely dont know if she has some iframes or she just doesnt react to literally anything you do to her.

i will say if i have any genuine issue with RE2 remake its that it also suffers a little bit from the boss i-frame thing, but that's also exacerbated by what i think is damage reduction on the different birkin forms. so i dont know if some forms take way less damage from some weapon types or he's invincible during certain segments or what. and it doesn't help that the boss being staggered so you need to go womp it and a boss being staggered and transitioning to the next fight phase and being fundamentally invincible has no visual distinction.

it seems like in the QTE heavy boss fights it was way more visually clear when you've opened up a weakness versus a phase change, and i am glad QTEs are gone but i think its made it a little harder to tell what's going on. theres no excuse for the Marguerite thing tho

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Re5=good. Even solo. Don't make me say it again (but playing with a goon who's psn handle was DeathSandwich was the best of it).

To summarise a lot of whining: the more recent games are no good because they aren't the same as the originals? What even is that. The series can't be mansion after mansion. They found the mansion. It progressed to the city. Then they are taking on this/these drug/bioweapon companies head on (still by themselves for some reason?). The whole thing can't unfold in dark, narrow hallways. As much as we want to romanticize it, the RE universe is nothing but campy schlock but we love it. 3 was a lateral move at best, 4 was a quantum leap. 5 was another solid game, too bad if you don't like that it wasn't dark or creepy enough. I played a hell of a lot of it but the only bad memory I have aside form Weskers voice acting (ahhh! There you ahhh! cringes to death) was the drat truck chase and gigante fight on the hardest difficulty. It wasn't tense or unsettling, but as a game it was solid and fun.

Mercs was the best thing to happen to the series but I cant see how the gently caress it would ever work in this game with these kinda movement mechanics and 100% unpredictable gunplay. Maybe I'm off the mark but I'm not sure how well the levels lend themselves to the style either.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

codo27 posted:

Mercs was the best thing to happen to the series but I cant see how the gently caress it would ever work in this game with these kinda movement mechanics and 100% unpredictable gunplay. Maybe I'm off the mark but I'm not sure how well the levels lend themselves to the style either.

It worked in RE3, so it could probably be made to work here. Remix the map with deliberately nerfed monsters, include time/cash bonuses for headshots and dismemberment, provide optional objectives like the rescuees in Mad Jackal, and throw in a few surprises like enemies that aren't in the main game at all.

You could probably make a PC mod for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finished off my first run of Claire A/Leon B and, drat, this was a great remake.

I think my only criticism of the game would be that I wish the death animations were more interesting. I want to see Leon get destroyed like all the various ways he can in 4.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

codo27 posted:

but the only bad memory I have aside form Weskers voice acting (ahhh! There you ahhh! cringes to death)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJoANT9X5A :c00lbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This slander against DC Douglas shall not stand.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm one of those heathens who hated the tank control games, but I loved 4, thought 5 was a fun diversion, and hated 6. 6 is the Bad Michael Bay Resident Evil. It just feels like for every single thing it gets right, it does 3 things wrong.

I also didn't play 7 because everything past the Marguerite boss battle seemed suuuuuper dull. I understand that "All killer, no filler" is an incredibly hard objective to achieve, but it's probably a bad idea to have such a stark line of demarcation where you can say "The game is good up until this point"/"The game doesn't get good until this point."

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

MotherFUCKER. And you guys defend this clown?

Also I read a that Unit 731 poo poo on Wikipedia. Hadn't heard of it before. Holy gently caress.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One thing I appreciated about 6 is it delivered on the “people make these monsters for military/conflict” aspect of the series.

I’d play it again if it got ported to Switch.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:madmax:

not pictured: a run lost at the ~45 minute mark when I intended to save in the east break room, discovered it doesn't have any ink ribbons, deciding to push forward to the club key shack, then getting munched to death by the super-zombies guarding the shutter where you have to insert the second fuse.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

codo27 posted:

Re5=good. Even solo. Don't make me say it again (but playing with a goon who's psn handle was DeathSandwich was the best of it).

To summarise a lot of whining: the more recent games are no good because they aren't the same as the originals? What even is that. The series can't be mansion after mansion. They found the mansion. It progressed to the city. Then they are taking on this/these drug/bioweapon companies head on (still by themselves for some reason?). The whole thing can't unfold in dark, narrow hallways. As much as we want to romanticize it, the RE universe is nothing but campy schlock but we love it. 3 was a lateral move at best, 4 was a quantum leap. 5 was another solid game, too bad if you don't like that it wasn't dark or creepy enough. I played a hell of a lot of it but the only bad memory I have aside form Weskers voice acting (ahhh! There you ahhh! cringes to death) was the drat truck chase and gigante fight on the hardest difficulty. It wasn't tense or unsettling, but as a game it was solid and fun.

why so defensive

what has you all jumped up

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What are the recommended save spots and what kind of time should you be around, if you're going for a hardcore S+ run? I figure sewers and the beginning of the lab, but I'm not sure the time needed.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

Leavemywife posted:

What are the recommended save spots and what kind of time should you be around, if you're going for a hardcore S+ run? I figure sewers and the beginning of the lab, but I'm not sure the time needed.

Personally I prefer just before bosses, as I find them to often be huge resource drains if I gently caress up, and being able to reload to do better.
That and just dying because I couldn't time my dodges right.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codo27 posted:

MotherFUCKER. And you guys defend this clown?
DC Douglas is a good VA, he just went full ham and cheese with Wesker as he should have.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Black August posted:

why so defensive

what has you all jumped up

I do like how is summary of people’s issues doesn’t actually lists any of the issues people had.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Leavemywife posted:

the common advice I've seen is:

1. after G1 (~35 min)
2. before G2 (I think 1:30-1:45?)
3. before G3 (if you're under 2:15 you should be fine)

Assuming A scenario for times.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

I haven't tried on hardcore, but everything I've heard from other people says to save before every Birkin fight. Birkin 1 is super quick to get to when you're playing 2nd scenario and you know what to do.

Personally I think the stretch from Birkin 1 – RPD redux - sewers – plugs is really tough. I died a bunch of times on standard from G adults. So maybe you could put off saving your first time until later.

But I think you'd definitely want to save before Birkin 2 and 3 because you can get wrecked or use all your ammo very easily.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lotta people hating on the new generation games in this thread. REmake 2 has brought a lot of the classic style fans out of the woodwork, but having played through REMake 2 in full now minus some 4th survivor stuff, I’ve about had my fill with the restricted gameplay style and hope we’ll yet see another 4/5/6 style title in years to come. That’s really the RE I love.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

For all RE5's faults, Wesker with sizzling ham and extra cheese was fun as hell

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lotta people hating on the new generation games in this thread. REmake 2 has brought a lot of the classic style fans out of the woodwork, but having played through REMake 2 in full now minus some 4th survivor stuff, I’ve about had my fill with the restricted gameplay style and hope we’ll yet see another 4/5/6 style title in years to come. That’s really the RE I love.

Regardless of their quality, those are barely RE games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
RE1-3 are stilted action games whose formula was perfected by 4/5. Both 6 and 7 are trash, just different kinds of trash and 6 is much more entertaining to play.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thanks for the S+ hardcore advice. I'd like some infinite zombie genocide weapons and now I've got a better idea of what to do to get them. I haven't tried Hardcore yet, but I did S+ a Leon run.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Panzeh posted:

RE1-3 are stilted action games whose formula was perfected by 4/5. Both 6 and 7 are trash, just different kinds of trash and 6 is much more entertaining to play.

the first RE especially aint no action game, hoss. they're definitely puzzle games and 4 didnt perfect anything. i mean 4 was great but its not like it was built off of what 1-3 were doing

edit: i think you can say that what RE4 shares with the first two games the most is great level design. what someone said earlier about filling RE5 with monster arenas is pretty spot on, it went from a thing that you sometimes did as Leon to basically what Chris and Sheva were doing for the entire game. ive enjoyed plenty of hours of 5 and 6 but if you watch Carcinogen speed run them the level design looks really awful, especially in RE6.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 11, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Personal favorite save spots:
1) Right before extinguishing the helicopter (because of how wrong the library can go)
2) Plug room first visit (G-sludge-men and inventory management gently caress-ups)
3) Before G3.

RE:RE5
I still have fond memories of this game, but doing co-op with a buddy on normal a year ago went oh so bad. Too much of a learning curve for him, and I just wanted to run around grabbing objectives while he got livid. We only played like an hour and moved on.
I never minded how absurd the game got.

Right now RE4HD is pissing me the gently caress off however: WASD = left stick, mouse = right stick.

In Win10 I have to go the actual Services window, not the Task Manager tab, and disable the Touch Keyboard service. Merely stopping it only lasts ~3 seconds before it restarts itself.

Anyway, doing controller twin-stick aiming with a mouse is a form of torture that should be acknowledged by the Geneva Convention.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think the 4/5/6 style is dead at this point which is good I think as they don’t really fit this franchise very well. The 7/ remake style is probably the future.

Though their aren’t a lot of good third person action games anymore so that’s a little sad for you.

They are all battle royals.

Also 5/6 hate is not new they both had terrible receptions.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"This one's my favorite! Here are a list of ones I think are garbage because they're not my favorite (no justification provided)" is so utterly tedious. Post why you actually feel the way you do or don't bother.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Turns out the easiest part of 4th survivor are The 2 G's. Trigger the left one coming at you with the hand, run away then charge past it after it swings and misses and past the second one that's too busy regurgitating the minis. I havent hosed it up once

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I can't believe an RE5 defense post attacked the best thing about the game, Wesker's amazing full-fuckin ham line reads

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just thinking some more about the level design issue and it makes me feel even more impressed with Rev 2, a game whose episodic nature would kind of naturally forgive more of a linear level design but where they managed to get a pretty good pacing between exploration and combat and avoided making every single thing a monster arena.

considering the limitations that game had going in i am very impressed with it. i hope they dont drop it entirely.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mr. Maggy posted:

I can't believe an RE5 defense post attacked the best thing about the game, Wesker's amazing full-fuckin ham line reads

The separating the chaff from the wheat speech is so amazingly bad it makes the terrible game briefly fun and memorable.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Finished off my first run of Claire A/Leon B and, drat, this was a great remake.

I think my only criticism of the game would be that I wish the death animations were more interesting. I want to see Leon get destroyed like all the various ways he can in 4.

There weren't that many in RE4, especially if you get rid of all that QTE poo poo. It's just that the ones that actually did something different were cool enough to stand out. A LOT of RE4 deaths are Leon flopping over and making that unbelievably loving stupid noise like grandad does when he needs to breathe.

Also, just remembered this "gem" of a reveal which was really close to when the REmake 2 WE DO IT!! video happened.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the 4/5/6 style is dead at this point which is good I think as they don’t really fit this franchise very well. The 7/ remake style is probably the future.

Though their aren’t a lot of good third person action games anymore so that’s a little sad for you.

They are all battle royals.

Also 5/6 hate is not new they both had terrible receptions.

RE2Make could easily have a raid mode that feels a ton like 4/5/6, it's already set up for it and would just need numbers tweaks. Hell, so far I don't think I've found any that I hate in the franchise, and the differences from one to the next are actually refreshing and stops me from burning out.

RE1: Like Alone in the Dark, but better.
RE2: Like RE1 but more action-y. Loses a little of the small house feel of the first game as a result, but the A/B scenarios are brilliant.
RE3: Like RE2 but almost too action-y. Still a fun game but this is the epitome of puzzles for puzzles' sake and they clearly had no idea what to do with the story.
RE:CV: Like RE2 but made by people who just wanted to ape the gameplay. The insane plot and fogged up Dreamcast backgrounds are fun, but I think it aged worse than the PSX ones ironically.
REMake: Serious technical showpiece for the time and a really nice update to the core gameplay,
RE4: God-tier action game, but a complete series tonal shift.
RE5: God-tier co-op game but takes the dumb campy parts of RE4 and cranks them up to 11, almost to its detriment.
RE6: Melee system's great, some extremely fun moments throughout. Way. Too. loving. Long.
RE7: Fantastic return to form, and it's seriously impressive they managed to backtrack from the insane tone of 4/5/6 while keeping it in-line with the rest of the series plotwise.
RE2Make: GOTY 2019 and it's only February, poo poo
RE:Rev: Just finished this and it's like someone took RE5 and made the plot even dumber, but not in the same way as RE6 did.
RE:Rev2: Only just started but I like it so far, even if the tone/difficulty are completely whacked out compared to the rest of the series. Way scarier tone, but everything's dropping instantly on Casual. (not a complaint btw)

In conclusion, Resident Evil is a land of contrasts.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mr. Maggy posted:

Every single line was delivered with him sneering and shaking his head with a melty hot grilled cheese sandwich CLENCHED between perfect teeth and I wanted more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dewgy posted:

In conclusion, Resident Evil is a land of contrasts.

RE in general hits a lot of my pop-cultural weak spots, so I'm not an unbiased commentator by any stretch, but there usually is at least one bright spot in a bad one, or a weak spot in a good one, in my experience with the franchise.

Survivor, for example, has the diaries of the doomed kidnapped teenagers for the Tyrant production line, which is in the top ten creepiest goddamn things in the entire series.