Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Communist Bear posted:

Help, I have too many planets to sort! Help me!

:negative:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1610578060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can someone tell me how to permanently disable the early game cultist event chain that spams stupid numbers of powerful fleets at you starting in like 2201? I feel like I get it every game and it just makes me want to quit and start over because it is so obnoxious.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can someone tell me how to permanently disable the early game cultist event chain that spams stupid numbers of powerful fleets at you starting in like 2201? I feel like I get it every game and it just makes me want to quit and start over because it is so obnoxious.

If you don't do the special project, the event never starts. So you can defeat the initial cultist ships, and leave the special project until you're ready.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 10, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

scaterry posted:

If you don't do the special project, the event never starts. So you can defeat the initial cultist ships, and leave the special project until you're ready.
Which leaves a hostile ship in my home system. The event chain is just so loving absurdly stupid it made me so mad that I've quit the game and I wont be coming back until I can figure out how to mod it out and also do something about how every system within 5 jumps of my homeworld always only has one single size 2 resource deposit and zero anomalies.

edit: like....this was my first game in over a month because I have been waiting for them to fix some of the bugs and balance issues and now I'm done again for a long time. You shouldnt be forcing players into combat before they can afford to recruit an admiral. I seriously hope they spend the next three months re-evaluating some of the key mechanics and gameplay concepts of the events/crises they have in the game because its getting really bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 10, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
What size fleet are you having spawn? The initial fleet you should be able to kill with your three corvettes and starbase, and iirc the next stage is three ~500 fleets, which is less than your initial fleet cap of default corvettes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

What size fleet are you having spawn? The initial fleet you should be able to kill with your three corvettes and starbase, and iirc the next stage is three ~500 fleets, which is less than your initial fleet cap of default corvettes.
I lost two of my starting three corvettes fighting the initial spawn in my home system. Then I got boxed in by fleets of like 400 power that had multiple corvettes and destroyers (when I havent even finished researching one tech yet so no chance at destroyers for me). With Militarized economy and thus 12 alloy income it will take me something like fifteen years to be able to afford enough corvettes to have equal fleet power. It so happens that these fleets spawned on the only two exit points from the cluster of stars I started in, and also on the two habitable worlds near me. Its completely insane that there is something in the game like this. I stand no chance accomplish *anything* in the first 20 years of the game because of an event chucking absurd fleet power at me before I have accomplished literally anything.

I didnt even have time to finish building the mining bases or research stations in my home system before this poo poo spawned. Like...what the gently caress is the thinking here?!?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
That sounds tremendously unlucky. You do know you can keep building mining stations in systems with hostile fleets by setting your constructor to passive, right?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I lost two of my starting three corvettes fighting the initial spawn in my home system. Then I got boxed in by fleets of like 400 power that had multiple corvettes and destroyers (when I havent even finished researching one tech yet so no chance at destroyers for me). With Militarized economy and thus 12 alloy income it will take me something like fifteen years to be able to afford enough corvettes to have equal fleet power. It so happens that these fleets spawned on the only two exit points from the cluster of stars I started in, and also on the two habitable worlds near me. Its completely insane that there is something in the game like this. I stand no chance accomplish *anything* in the first 20 years of the game because of an event chucking absurd fleet power at me before I have accomplished literally anything.

I didnt even have time to finish building the mining bases or research stations in my home system before this poo poo spawned. Like...what the gently caress is the thinking here?!?

You're not wrong, but maybe just restart? There are a lot of ways to get a lovely or even just uninteresting start in Stellaris and it's not a lot of effort to just start a new campaign with the exact same settings. I get that you shouldn't have to and that that event is kinda bullshit, but if it fired that early you must be like 10? 20? minutes into the game.

Personally I restart pretty frequently in the first couple decades depending on how things look around me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

That sounds tremendously unlucky.
As the saying goes, "You make your own luck" - in this case, Stellaris made my luck for me. Getting this hosed by the RNG this early in the game just shouldnt be possible and the fact that the game is this old and it can still happen really makes me mad. I have extremely limited game time and I just wanted to play a chill explore and see how the game plays these days game and instead I get skullfucked by an event. This just shouldnt be possible, especially when they try to account for multiplayer. If I ever try multiplayer again and I get that chain (and I feel like I get it every other game, even when not Spiritualist (it reads like it is a spiritualist themed event chain)) I'm just straight up quitting.

Aethernet posted:

You do know you can keep building mining stations in systems with hostile fleets by setting your constructor to passive, right?
Yes but this shouldnt be necessary. It adds needless micromanagement and its really annoying.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I totally agree -- the other starting events are more unambiguously beneficial. I would love to see the cultist event moved 10-20 years later so it doesn't interfere with expansion/exploration.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

* Energy grids/nexus' are more expensive, but give an additional 5% bonus and add 2/4 Max Generator Districts to their planet. This also applies to Synth empires
* Mineral purification plants/hubs are more expensive, but give an additional 5% bonus and add 2/4 Max Mining Districts to their planet.
This also applies to Synth empires

This part of 2.2.5, is it actually working? I'm on test branch, tooltips don't mention the extra districts nor do they seem to be generated when I build it. Tried on a brand new game with no luck either.

Anyone can confirm if this works for them?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Anyone can confirm if this works for them?

Are you playing a machine or synth empire? Other empires get the old production plants.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scaterry posted:

Are you playing a machine or synth empire? Other empires get the old production plants.

Oh I didn't notice this was applying to machines only, cheers

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

Oh I didn't notice this was applying to machines only, cheers
I read that as applying to everyone, including Synths, so... yeah, I don't know why organics wouldn't get it? That kind in the patch notes is pretty of why I wanted to try a game lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I read that as applying to everyone, including Synths, so... yeah, I don't know why organics wouldn't get it? That kind in the patch notes is pretty of why I wanted to try a game lol

It's badly written. It's part of the "Machine Empire" section, and the bit at the end says it also applies to Empires who took the Ascension path.

(This makes more sense if you ask yourself why, if it applied to every empire, they would specifically call out one as having it apply to)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless my maths are way off that regular AI empire's fleet needs a command limit of 476, and there are three more cruisers merging. How the heck is that possible?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Uh, anyone having an issue where your fleet is refusing to upgrade?

EDIT; Dismantling my other two shipyards - which were at different starbases mind you - fixed the issue. The gently caress. That or it wanted me to have all the necessary alloys first?

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 10, 2019

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Poil posted:

Unless my maths are way off that regular AI empire's fleet needs a command limit of 476, and there are three more cruisers merging. How the heck is that possible?

iirc federation fleets don't have any kind of cap other than the total federation naval capacity cap and/or a limit of 500? ships

if I end up the leader of a federation I usually end up with my main fleet and then a roving rapid-response deathball of federation cruisers/destroyers

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shadowlyger posted:

Uh, anyone having an issue where your fleet is refusing to upgrade?

EDIT; Dismantling my other two shipyards - which were at different starbases mind you - fixed the issue. The gently caress. That or it wanted me to have all the necessary alloys first?

You need to have all the necessary alloys.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

iirc federation fleets don't have any kind of cap other than the total federation naval capacity cap and/or a limit of 500? ships

if I end up the leader of a federation I usually end up with my main fleet and then a roving rapid-response deathball of federation cruisers/destroyers
Oh, thanks. Didn't realize it was a federation fleet. :downs:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I believe the 5 star icon is the big indicator, but also the blue background is only for fed fleets. It can be fun to be the democratic crusader type: fight ideology wars to install a friendly govt, and then bring the new people into your federation.

My personal problem with the quest chain (and the others like the probe survey one) is that the rewards don't always feel worth the hassle. That said, this one gives you a battleship at the end, which can be fairly useful.

In terms of this chain, others sort of highlighted some points already but if you or someone else gets it, there are a few things to do to keep it under control.

First, pull your fleet away from where the ships spawn if possible. At the worst case, even if you lose some it should be annoying but not crippling. The main thing is that after you beat the 3 ships, you can let the ship sit there indefinitely at the step of "board the cult vessel" and no additional enemies will spawn.

You'll need to set your constructor/science ships to passive in order to do stuff in your home system, but within a year they've all left it and you can change them back.

Then when you'd normally be building ships, and you get up to around 500 fleet power you can go ahead and restart the chain while you keep building up some fleet and getting an admiral.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

my approach: ~just do it~. a few fleets scattered about isn't crippling.

Sublight probes is the only absolutely worthless chain. Annoying with crap rewards.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

my approach: ~just do it~

Probes is the only absolutely worthless chain.

I usually don't get any of them, and when I do its like 90% probes. Which is just such a lovely chain. At best every one is a system you've already scanned and is just annoying auto-spawned enemies, at worst you lose 3 systems worth of anomaly rolls. It should give you like 2 pops you find in a generational colony ship your race sent out centuries ago or something.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sublight probes are a worthless chain with a chance of spawning a 400 void cloud in the very early game and 'rewards' that are practically punishments for anomaly hunters. Instead of system scans it should give you an anomaly in that system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

at worst you lose 3 systems worth of anomaly rolls.
It amazes me how much the devs seem to undervalue anomaly rolls, doubly so anomaly rolls in your local systems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

You're not wrong, but maybe just restart? There are a lot of ways to get a lovely or even just uninteresting start in Stellaris and it's not a lot of effort to just start a new campaign with the exact same settings. I get that you shouldn't have to and that that event is kinda bullshit, but if it fired that early you must be like 10? 20? minutes into the game.

Personally I restart pretty frequently in the first couple decades depending on how things look around me.
I missed this earlier but my big problem with that is that if I start restarting for one thing I'll restart until everything is perfect and considering my limited game time, if I did that, I would have no game time, just a really nice start to think about for a few days till I can play again. I really liked the hyperlane setup and my nearby planets. The game is what, over three years old at this point and they cant even get "these are good things to do to players a year into a 300+ year game" right? Come on. It was bad before and its even worse with the new economy and this has just tipped me over the edge from trying to be reasonable about the Le Guin updates to "get your poo poo together, goddamn".

ZypherIM posted:

My personal problem with the quest chain (and the others like the probe survey one) is that the rewards don't always feel worth the hassle. That said, this one gives you a battleship at the end, which can be fairly useful.

In terms of this chain, others sort of highlighted some points already but if you or someone else gets it, there are a few things to do to keep it under control.

First, pull your fleet away from where the ships spawn if possible. At the worst case, even if you lose some it should be annoying but not crippling. The main thing is that after you beat the 3 ships, you can let the ship sit there indefinitely at the step of "board the cult vessel" and no additional enemies will spawn.

You'll need to set your constructor/science ships to passive in order to do stuff in your home system, but within a year they've all left it and you can change them back.

Then when you'd normally be building ships, and you get up to around 500 fleet power you can go ahead and restart the chain while you keep building up some fleet and getting an admiral.
Yeah its all good advice and I appreciate it, but again, the game is three years old - has no one taken an objective look at some of these things and said "hrmm maybe they need to be updated"? Its astonishing.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah its all good advice and I appreciate it, but again, the game is three years old - has no one taken an objective look at some of these things and said "hrmm maybe they need to be updated"? Its astonishing.

I mean, I've posted several times about how rewards for events need to be updated because the usefullness of the choices have changed so drastically. Like I don't bother with hab worlds survey at all: energy and society research point isn't worth it compared to just getting bonus influence.

Some have been updated here and there. However, I can see how it is pretty down there on the priority queue to go through all the old events and update them. I'm hoping that as they get through the meat of the post-big patch bugs and stuff they'll task someone to do it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

I mean, I've posted several times about how rewards for events need to be updated because the usefullness of the choices have changed so drastically. Like I don't bother with hab worlds survey at all: energy and society research point isn't worth it compared to just getting bonus influence.

Some have been updated here and there. However, I can see how it is pretty down there on the priority queue to go through all the old events and update them. I'm hoping that as they get through the meat of the post-big patch bugs and stuff they'll task someone to do it.
Yeah I sure hope so. I'm still going to follow the game and I look forward to playing it again one day but at this point its just in too much need of love for current systems rather than new content.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nearly 50 years of constant war for the War in Heaven event. Now the galaxy looks like a jigsaw puzzle. This could have been ended a lot sooner if the Empire AI prioritized fighting each other rather than faffing around with the neutral states.

edit: So much for peace. Scourge event kicked off a couple of years after the war ended. :toot:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 11, 2019

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You need to have all the necessary alloys.

Apparently not playing this game for a month causes me to forget basic rear end mechanics.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm playing my first serious game since 2.2 came out. How do you all cope with the alloy shortage early game for fleet building? I'm using the market to sell extra minerals for energy, which I use to buy alloys, but the conversion rate isn't good to start and tanks further quickly.

It's also unclear what buildings/etc I should be prioritizing on my planets. I have some unemployed pops with no immediately obvious way to shift or employ them.

This is very early game, fleet strengths ~1.5k-2k tops.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What are you building on your planets if you can't get jobs for them?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pmchem posted:

I'm playing my first serious game since 2.2 came out. How do you all cope with the alloy shortage early game for fleet building? I'm using the market to sell extra minerals for energy, which I use to buy alloys, but the conversion rate isn't good to start and tanks further quickly.

It's also unclear what buildings/etc I should be prioritizing on my planets. I have some unemployed pops with no immediately obvious way to shift or employ them.

You're right, selling minerals to buy alloys is super inefficient but you should start with the structure that converts minerals to alloys. Build more of those

Maybe you could post screenshots of some of your planets and people could make suggestions

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For early game, you should only need two alloy forges to get up to naval cap and starbase cap in a reasonable amount of time. Just make sure you don't build your second one too early or you'll end up starved for minerals. I usually fit it in as my second building on my home planet after an autochthton monument.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

pmchem posted:

The only time I really sell anything off is if I am approaching the max resource cap, or if I *really* need energy for some pop-up that is requesting a large amount for something important (i.e. curator research). I never felt building to be too difficult of a thing in Stellaris, since the game is very forgiving and will let you replace districts as you need a certain resources, and it will let you get away with a lot if you are placing your buildings in reaction to current events and at-the-moment thinking. If I don't take mastery of nature, I'll be careful with what the size and features of the planet are and try to settle planets that are 75+ habitability or are over size 15. If I do take mastery of nature, I'll settle pretty much every planet possible knowing I can expand and terriform it at a later date with not too much resource loss at the beginning. I'm not an old player and don't play on the hard difficulties, but my planet development plans go one of four ways:

Home planet: Start with another alloy factory, heritage site, holo theatre, then a robot factory (race/roleplaying specific). After that I will build an additional civilian industry and another alloy factory, then just about nothing except research labs with a research station for the boost. Story-line buildings also will go on the main planet.

Planets with lots of resource districts: I mainly develop them as rural worlds with nothing but the districts being filled. If one of the districts has far more number than the others, I'll specialize it predominantly for that resource center alone. Otherwise, I try to develop them evenly if they're all around the same quantity across the three. I'll build about one of each of the districts until I get my planetary capital, and then specialize and tailor accordingly to my needs at the time. I'll throw in a holo theatre if anemities fall too low, and the occasional city district if I need more homes for my peepes. If I have extra jobs and no districts left over, I go for research buildings or a special-resource building or two.

- Also don't neglect mineral districts at the beginning *too* much. You'll be swimming in minerals early in the game, but by the late game you will be bleeding them out for planet buildings and consumer good/alloy upkeep. I try to stockpile them with starbase silos at the beginning so I have enough for building what I need in the mid-game.

Planets with few resource districts and lots of population, or an ecumenopolis: These places are my manufactoring planets and have city districts, plenty of alloy factories, civilian factories and rare-resource factories for upgrading other buildings on that planet and other planets like exotic gas, synthetic crystal, etc... mostly focusing on the gas, though. I try to have my income for rare-resource be around +5 to +10 for the crystals, gas and motes for edicts and trade, while the rest of them go towards upkeep for building upgrades. If there is space, I'll shove a research lab in somewhere.

Planets that have almost no resource districts: resort world. Load it up with luxury housing and commercial factories, letting the trade value skyrocket to collect some of those sweet energy credits.

Alloy production has never been a problem with this build order.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 11, 2019

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Has it been mentioned recently how incredibly stupid and irritating it is that you can't turn a planet into a resort world after the fact?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Has it been mentioned recently how incredibly stupid and irritating it is that you can't turn a planet into a resort world after the fact?

Not recently, no. I discovered that the other day, and wasn't sure if it was some awkward mod interaction, nor was there much I could find online. Then I resettled off all my pops and re-colonized and the decision was available. It checks (I'm pretty sure; haven't looked at the code) for the initial colony ship capitol building, and you can't downgrade your capitol, so you're just kind of screwed.

I guess it makes sure that it's a pristine resort world, not some manufactured "we tore down all the buildings and brought it back to nature" resort.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Extremely. I had to learn by a lot of trial and error.

This game REALLY needs a manual after the final dlc for it is developed in the future. Something I could read through and know this stuff ahead of time instead of searching it up on the wiki after finding it as a research option and realizing I can't use it on a single planet I have.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 11, 2019

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Vavrek posted:

Not recently, no. I discovered that the other day, and wasn't sure if it was some awkward mod interaction, nor was there much I could find online. Then I resettled off all my pops and re-colonized and the decision was available. It checks (I'm pretty sure; haven't looked at the code) for the initial colony ship capitol building, and you can't downgrade your capitol, so you're just kind of screwed.

I guess it makes sure that it's a pristine resort world, not some manufactured "we tore down all the buildings and brought it back to nature" resort.

The weirdness in how resorts work means I'm already trying to pick the biggest - well, ok, the legally smallest - shithole I can for it, why should it make a difference if I used to have a bunch of solar panels lying around? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Former opencast mines and miles of decaying polytunnels are notoriously attractive to tourists.

Mind you, given that tomb worlds can be resort worlds - at least they used to - the district restrictions do seem silly.