Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

MotherFUCKER. And you guys defend this clown?

Also I read a that Unit 731 poo poo on Wikipedia. Hadn't heard of it before. Holy gently caress.

I keep reading your posts in this thread and drat dude you seem really on edge with this game.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing since RE at its best has a way of grinding at you but making you want to keep going.

I'm not trying to give you poo poo since I find your posts incredibly entertaining and funny. I just wonder if you actually LIKE this loving game since it seems to give you fits and stress you out in general. I bet about 30 more pages and you'll be posting about how you finally owned the poo poo out of this game. I'm finding it addictive in a way I haven't experienced in some time and catch myself playing too long plus thinking about it when I'm not playing so I get where you're coming from in some ways

Speaking of fits: I finally finished Leon A and Claire B (scoring C on both so I suck but in fairness I was deliberately taking my time) and then started a Claire A with moving my rear end in my mind. Thought I was hauling rear end, skipping skipable poo poo and really moving in general but I'm over 2 hours and just now loving around with the clock tower soooo.... I'm sure I could up my game with a strategy guide/map but that kind of ruins the fun for me. Maybe I am a masochist but I at least wanna do A-B, A-B for each character to get my money's worth before I start "cheating".

I considered skipping the weapons locker entirely but I really need that pouch.

Seems like the key to speed is knowing what to bring with you in each area and not getting sidetracked/lost but after only 2 plays I forget what's in which room and, worse, what I'm supposed to blow off for each character.

I also got sidetracked and lost.

In my Claire B run I somehow wound up with an extra crank in my storage box which I didn't even think was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wesker always ruled because most villians plans are convoluted and dumb while his are very straightforward and very dumb.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Resident Evil is a bunch of video games made by thousands of different people across 20+ years so maybe the best idea is to chill the hell out over coupling your ego with enjoying or disliking any of the fukken dozens in the radically variable series about Me Have Gun Me Shoot Dead

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Gimme an egg.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Gimme an egg.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Gimme an egg.

I REQUUUUIYAR YOUR ASSISTANCE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE7's Ethan is by far the most ridiculous protagonist in the series and it bothers me people think hes bringing back the horror. The dude no sells shooting his girlfriend in the face, losing limbs and reattaching them, and chainsaw dueling. The guy seems almost bored with whats happening in that hame and that doesnt make it any less ridiculous it makes it more ridiculous.

Also mechanically I find 7 really dire to play for a variety of reasons so the gameplay isnt saving it for me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think you are confusing horror and realism. Because nothing you posted contradicts it being a horror game. Not realistic one but none of em are.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Who gives a poo poo about Ethan he was a blankish slate for the player to enjoy the real show of Jack and the fever dream logic of choking to death on infectious fetid swampy-humid mold

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ethan already is infected with Eveline's spores so he has a regen abilities by the time he gets his hand chainsawed off. Also considering his wife is a morally flexible merc that works for super shady organizations he is probably more in the know and capable than the game lets on.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018
Are all you haters suffering from depression?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The only RE I hate is 6, but I can’t say that with certainty as I’m playing it for the first time and I started with Chris’ campaign.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Accordion Man posted:

Ethan already is infected with Eveline's spores so he has a regen abilities by the time he gets his hand chainsawed off. Also considering his wife is a morally flexible merc that works for super shady organizations he is probably more in the know and capable than the game lets on.

Exactly my take. Just because Ethan isn’t panting constantly like the guy in Outlast (god do I ever hate that) it doesn’t mean the player can’t be scared, and he clearly knows who Umbrella are and that Mia was up to something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I guess my point is it didnt feel particulalry horrory to me; more like a game of tag. Ethan doesnt care, youre surprisingly durable and show immediately hes resiliant as hell to physical damage, and you go toe to toe with your enemies. It was basically the same issues I have with the game in general where it wants to do action and it wants to do horror and it blends both in very frustrating ways.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sponges posted:

The only RE I hate is 6, but I can’t say that with certainty as I’m playing it for the first time and I started with Chris’ campaign.

The only one I dislike is 7 but mainly only because I would never replay it

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just loved the atmosphere of 7. Scared the poo poo outta me. Being stuck in a house with a bunch of crazy rednecks is my own personal hell.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
7 was loving phenomenal in VR and I nearly destroyed my pants several times.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If Capcom knows what side their bread is buttered on, they'll work extra hard to make Nemesis a fine blend of Jack and the Tyrant, just enough personality and menace to make it feel personal

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one kind of cool thing about 7 is how many different horror genres it hits on without feeling like it's just going down a checklist. the body horror is absolutely disgustingly top notch and the horror comedy of the chainsaw fight was really well done. thats a genre where the difference between care and snide navel gazing can really make or break something.

ethan probably would have been better as an unvoiced protagonist ala isaac from deadspace but that probably would have been too jarring and silly with how realistic the rest of the game presentation was.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thank God, a spoiler used in a post about 7. I still haven't played it beyond the demo and I know a lot, mainly to lower my expectations for the final stretch.

I really liked this game, I just really hate the inconsistent life thing. Paired with how awful I am with a controller. Once I get my PC built and can easily deliver rounds to the left cornea, I'll be able to enjoy it a lot more. I'm not really as worked up or stressed or pissed as my posts might make it seem sometimes. When I cleared Leon A for the first time, it gave me a feeling I hadn't gotten from a game in a long time. A long time.

I guess what I've learned is I'm much too accustomed to the god mode style of 4 and 5. Love seeing the effects of the gore, don't love 7 headshots having no effect besides exposing said gore.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dewgy posted:

In conclusion, Resident Evil is a land of contrasts.

You forgot the best version of RE2, the Tiger Gamecom version.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

sponges posted:

Oh, tough start. I mean they all are really because of the pacing but yeah I found his the weakest for how generic it is over such exhausting lengths of time. Light at the end of the tunnel; finish the campaigns then embrace Mercs. That's all RE6 is about after you finish the campaigns. Brainless sessions of No Mercy so you can get the most out of what the controls really offer, albeit preferably co-op/duo.

Vakal posted:

You forgot the best version of RE2, the Tiger Gamecom version.
Leon shuffles disinterestedly and goes to sleep. Much like I did when playing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dewgy posted:

Exact same experience. After RE5 we did a bunch of runs on other difficulties just for S-ranks, and after RE6 we were just like... well, not doing that again for a while.

There's definitely fun to be had with RE6 but the pacing is absolute trash.

I believe I got 100% in RE5 since it was really fun with a friend, but yeah, RE6 was painful to go through. We were considering not even finishing it because there's nothing good about it. The only thing I remember was a zombie chick with huge tits as a boss (with Leon?) and maybe some big T-Rex type thing in China? Dunno. I never want to be reminded of RE6.

Does anyone wish that there was a way to play RE2 co-op? Like, both players are working together, but one is going through the A scenario and the other B. I mean, the whole game would have to be completely redesigned since so much of the A/B scenarios are the exact same, but it would be fun to work together, sharing ammo and co-operating as to who does what seeing as some items would have to be character specific. I honestly just can't get enough of RE2 and want to play it over and over again. Since it's release I've done 7 playthroughs and I still don't mind doing more.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Barudak posted:

RE7's Ethan is by far the most ridiculous protagonist in the series and it bothers me people think hes bringing back the horror. The dude no sells shooting his girlfriend in the face, losing limbs and reattaching them, and chainsaw dueling. The guy seems almost bored with whats happening in that hame and that doesnt make it any less ridiculous it makes it more ridiculous.

Ethan feels like they were trying to split the difference between a silent protagonist and an actual character. If it weren't for the relative lack of inspiration of the last third or so of the game, more people would probably call him the weakest part of RE7.

I was really expecting some kind of last-minute swerve to justify Ethan's relative lack of a reaction, like he'd turn out to be ex-Umbrella or something.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

s.i.r.e. posted:

I believe I got 100% in RE5 since it was really fun with a friend, but yeah, RE6 was painful to go through. We were considering not even finishing it because there's nothing good about it. The only thing I remember was a zombie chick with huge tits as a boss (with Leon?) and maybe some big T-Rex type thing in China? Dunno. I never want to be reminded of RE6.

RE6 is a ton of fun when, and only when, you punch everything you can to death. It's absolutely stupid, but if you treat it like "RE4 except every enemy is staggered by default" it's actually decent.

e: Now that I think about it this is the exact same problem the first Uncharted has too. There's an optimal, extremely fun way to play the game, and they never tell you about it.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Wanderer posted:

Ethan feels like they were trying to split the difference between a silent protagonist and an actual character. If it weren't for the relative lack of inspiration of the last third or so of the game, more people would probably call him the weakest part of RE7.

I was really expecting some kind of last-minute swerve to justify Ethan's relative lack of a reaction, like he'd turn out to be ex-Umbrella or something.

Ethan took his rightful place amongst the Resident Evil protagonist pantheon for me when the only genuine reaction of aversion and disgust he displayed the entire game was to a few regular cockroaches in the wall. He fits right in with the rest of them

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wanderer posted:

because of time and budget constraints they had to skip the opening cutscene where ethan does an absolute shitload of qualudes to psych himself up to go into hillbilly bayou ghost house

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What the gently caress is a a Tiger Gamecom?
https://youtu.be/wvnLeOn4DoQ

Consider for a moment, now. Someone, presumably multiple people, had to get out of bed in the morning, prepare breakfast, go to work. There had to be a workplace for them to go, a desk or office. Computer equipment. Checks had to be written for these people. All to create a game that would only be played by the administrators of that Unit 731 I just read about who are currently burning in hell for all eternity.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Ethan took his rightful place amongst the Resident Evil protagonist pantheon for me when the only genuine reaction of aversion and disgust he displayed the entire game was to a few regular cockroaches in the wall. He fits right in with the rest of them

That also leads to a good question: What's the best (or worst best) line from each game? For me Ethan's "Do me a favor and STAY. DEAD." was wonderful. For the RE2make it's absolutely Leon's "That explains the horrible things I've seen! :buddy:" He's just so chipper about it.

codo27 posted:

Consider for a moment, now. Someone, presumably multiple people, had to get out of bed in the morning, prepare breakfast, go to work. There had to be a workplace for them to go, a desk or office. Computer equipment. Checks had to be written for these people. All to create a game that would only be played by the administrators of that Unit 731 I just read about who are currently burning in hell for all eternity.

It almost got a port of Sympthony of the Night, too. :allears:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

codo27 posted:

I'm Leon's shoes that sound like a 500 pound 70 foot wide basketball dropped off a building.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dewgy posted:

That also leads to a good question: What's the best (or worst best) line from each game? For me Ethan's "Do me a favor and STAY. DEAD." was wonderful. For the RE2make it's absolutely Leon's "Yhat explains the horrible things I've seen! :buddy:" He's just so chipper about it.
The best line in 7 is Jack's mocking delivery of "Ethan. Ethan? Oh EEEEETHAAAAN?!" Best part is when he still does it in his monster form.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just had a thought. Maybe the game wasn't created for the eternally dammed, but maybe in fact they were the ones tasked with porting the game to this albatross of a platform.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

because of time and budget constraints they had to skip the opening cutscene where ethan does an absolute shitload of qualudes to psych himself up to go into hillbilly bayou ghost house

I'd legit play a horror game where you're on some absolutely irresponsible amounts of disassociatives or tranqs leaving your character peaking into their high just as the game gets serious

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CJacobs posted:

The car key threw me for a loop because I was expecting to find a police car with the actual number corresponding to the one on the key. Turns out I just had to turn the thing around and there is no car bearing that number.

license plate.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the 4/5/6 style is dead at this point which is good I think as they don’t really fit this franchise very well. The 7/ remake style is probably the future.

Though their aren’t a lot of good third person action games anymore so that’s a little sad for you.

They are all battle royals.

That’s really what it comes down to. I’m glad that people who enjoy the classic style are getting a revival of a type of game that isn’t really made any more.

For me, though, I played RE2 and 3 as a kid but 4/5/6 are games I’m much more fond of. It was great to watch them evolve to the point of the super fun and promising gameplay mechanics of 6 and, sure, they were 3rd person action games in a time where that was a crowded genre (though calling them Gears of War clones, or insinuating that they somehow aren’t “real” Resident Evil games is a historical oversight- RE4 invented this style of game) but the light brawler mechanics and weapon upgrade systems were pretty unique, the action was top notch, and I dug the extremely dumb, campy, high-fantasy action-horror world they had going on.

I enjoyed RE2, because the mechanics of the game are really unique. You end up making different sorts of decisions in different ways than you would in an action game. The pacing is different, the things you have to take into consideration are different than anything else I’ve played, and that’s cool. But by the end I was feeling confined by the limited verb-set of your character and the general slowness of everything. I just wanted to ball out and whip some rear end.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Despite my soft spot for CV, RE2 and RE4 are my favorite styles so more of both those things is cool and good.

RE2 may be getting talked up as more gritty than RE4 and up, but it's still got my appreciation for handing you a Flamethrower for the express reason of "Flamethrowers kill monsters real good". Instead of functioning like a squirt bottle for naughty pets.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 11, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Black August posted:

I'd legit play a horror game where you're on some absolutely irresponsible amounts of disassociatives or tranqs leaving your character peaking into their high just as the game gets serious

I really didn't end up liking Escape Dead Island, but it had an interesting hook: your character ends the first section of the game by getting whacked in the face by his sailboat's boom, and spends the rest of it hallucinating his rear end off. Even by the ending, it's left pretty well up in the air how much of the game's events actually happened.

They take advantage of it in neat ways a couple of times, but the combat system's a garbage fire and the game's a rushed job, so it didn't work out, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone do the same thing correctly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dewgy posted:

RE2Make could easily have a raid mode that feels a ton like 4/5/6, it's already set up for it and would just need numbers tweaks. Hell, so far I don't think I've found any that I hate in the franchise, and the differences from one to the next are actually refreshing and stops me from burning out.

RE1: Like Alone in the Dark, but better.
RE2: Like RE1 but more action-y. Loses a little of the small house feel of the first game as a result, but the A/B scenarios are brilliant.
RE3: Like RE2 but almost too action-y. Still a fun game but this is the epitome of puzzles for puzzles' sake and they clearly had no idea what to do with the story.
RE:CV: Like RE2 but made by people who just wanted to ape the gameplay. The insane plot and fogged up Dreamcast backgrounds are fun, but I think it aged worse than the PSX ones ironically.
REMake: Serious technical showpiece for the time and a really nice update to the core gameplay,
RE4: God-tier action game, but a complete series tonal shift.
RE5: God-tier co-op game but takes the dumb campy parts of RE4 and cranks them up to 11, almost to its detriment.
RE6: Melee system's great, some extremely fun moments throughout. Way. Too. loving. Long.
RE7: Fantastic return to form, and it's seriously impressive they managed to backtrack from the insane tone of 4/5/6 while keeping it in-line with the rest of the series plotwise.
RE2Make: GOTY 2019 and it's only February, poo poo
RE:Rev: Just finished this and it's like someone took RE5 and made the plot even dumber, but not in the same way as RE6 did.
RE:Rev2: Only just started but I like it so far, even if the tone/difficulty are completely whacked out compared to the rest of the series. Way scarier tone, but everything's dropping instantly on Casual. (not a complaint btw)

What about RE0?:lol:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think there's an opportunity with the RE2 remake framing to do some really interesting, semi (semi) grounded work with making Umbrella and its various antagonists more competent/consistent, and to work in a cleaner metaphorical and thematic framing of the notions of greed and crazy upper class aristocrats with racist/eugenicist viewpoints. The remake's police station/research lab is still absurd, but it does a much better job of rationalizing its absurdities than the original.

A part of this would need to involve a bit of work on RE1 in a genuine modern remake, and a lot of work to clean up the entries after Nemesis. Bear in mind saying all of this, I'm talking about roughly the level of "grounded realism" on display in the RE2 remake, not some sort of grimdark, just less suplexing and memes. We had a whole series of entries with memes, escalation and suplexing, and it doesn't seem like a way to manageably sustain the franchise's horror core.

On a related note, it's nice to go back to establishing Hunk as a badass because the player character is overwhelmed and underequipped in a really difficult scenario, rather than "he can pull off sick scripted punches" stuff from RE4 onward.

Who knows, if they manage to keep this sort of approach going maybe they can hand Wesker the idiot ball a little less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dewgy posted:

RE2Make could easily have a raid mode that feels a ton like 4/5/6, it's already set up for it and would just need numbers tweaks. Hell, so far I don't think I've found any that I hate in the franchise, and the differences from one to the next are actually refreshing and stops me from burning out.

RE1: Like Alone in the Dark, but better.
RE2: Like RE1 but more action-y. Loses a little of the small house feel of the first game as a result, but the A/B scenarios are brilliant.
RE3: Like RE2 but almost too action-y. Still a fun game but this is the epitome of puzzles for puzzles' sake and they clearly had no idea what to do with the story.
RE:CV: Like RE2 but made by people who just wanted to ape the gameplay. The insane plot and fogged up Dreamcast backgrounds are fun, but I think it aged worse than the PSX ones ironically.
REMake: Serious technical showpiece for the time and a really nice update to the core gameplay,
RE4: God-tier action game, but a complete series tonal shift.
RE5: God-tier co-op game but takes the dumb campy parts of RE4 and cranks them up to 11, almost to its detriment.
RE6: Melee system's great, some extremely fun moments throughout. Way. Too. loving. Long.
RE7: Fantastic return to form, and it's seriously impressive they managed to backtrack from the insane tone of 4/5/6 while keeping it in-line with the rest of the series plotwise.
RE2Make: GOTY 2019 and it's only February, poo poo
RE:Rev: Just finished this and it's like someone took RE5 and made the plot even dumber, but not in the same way as RE6 did.
RE:Rev2: Only just started but I like it so far, even if the tone/difficulty are completely whacked out compared to the rest of the series. Way scarier tone, but everything's dropping instantly on Casual. (not a complaint btw)

this is pretty much how I feel. RE2 2019, at least for me, seems to be the first one to marry the classic trilogy's essence of survival horror and "central hub" areas with the latter games' greater third person control, aiming, and craftable ammo stuff.

When you add in Outbreak, Gun Survivor, Dead Aim, Operation RC, Umbrella Corps, it's pretty wild how the series has constantly been utilized for so much stuff. Operation RC for the record was an extremely cool idea that I'd love to see done right someday.