Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year

Fart City posted:

Rewatched the Benecio Del Toro Wolfman, and between the over-the-top gore and victorian setting, it's a lot more fun than I remember. Third act plot twist fight scene still sucks rear end though.

I remember catching this on tv with a roommate and he was like "looks like a gorilla fight" and I was like holy poo poo it really does. Awful.

That Crypt episode with Buscemi/Daltry was brutal. It also keyed into my dislike of Roger Daltry, just like the Reeves episode played on my utter distrust of Judd Nelson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Pretty sure that Wolfman replaced practical effects with cgi and that Stan Winston was onboard to do the designs

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yaws posted:

I thought the first Bad Ben was a decent enough low low budget FF movie. The others are worth watching? I've not heard good things.

They are all worth watching, I binged through them and laughed a lot

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure that Wolfman replaced practical effects with cgi and that Stan Winston was onboard to do the designs

Worse: it was Rick Baker.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I just watched “Servants of Twilight” and it was by all accounts nothing special but it had Grace Zabriskie and the Giant as a cult leader and her right hand man (easily the best part of the movie), it’s always kinda cool to see Twin Peaks alumni in random other movies from the era

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Yaws posted:

I thought the first Bad Ben was a decent enough low low budget FF movie. The others are worth watching? I've not heard good things.

There's an honest, almost insane charm to them. It's clear that Nigel is loving every minute of it. That said, the second movie can be a struggle. But, in my opinion, it's still worth watching, just to see the church Christmas pageant level of acting from the old woman. It's pretty nutty. Four is kinda dull, too

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The only part of the Wolfman that bothered me was the silver wolf cane was introduced, and then never used to kill anyone.
The true monsters were the film makers.

I don't think I've seen it since it was in theaters but I do remember it had some cool and bizarre dream like sequences, like maybe a travel one where the sun and moon cycle around while he walking? I dunno, I can't find the scene on youtube.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Instead of whatever they have planned for now as a sequel to Halloween 2018, they should start making a Halloween H20 but 20 Years Later from Halloween Resurrection with Busta Rhymes/etc. back.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

all the stuff related to old timey psychiatry/""Treatment"" culminating in him wolfin out in the operating theater was cool, the way they treated the mentally ill was probably more horrifying than the literal wolf man lol.

overall its a fun movie though that i think aged well as a silly monster movie even if it has horrible cgi

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Neo Rasa posted:

Instead of whatever they have planned for now as a sequel to Halloween 2018, they should start making a Halloween H20 but 20 Years Later from Halloween Resurrection with Busta Rhymes/etc. back.

I was going to say the time wouldn't match until I realized that Resurrection will be 20 in three years :stare:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Origami Dali posted:

I was going to say the time wouldn't match until I realized that Resurrection will be 20 in three years :stare:

please do not do this to me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I'm slightly behind on my Bad Ben lore, but did anything ever get more bonkers than the Jersey Devil doing a rape?

He goes into comedy after that and never really comes back around, even when it seems like it won’t be a comedy. Number five (?) is a one-person show featuring an actual actor. It is a remarkable feat of self-restraint from writer-director-producer-fx supervisor-star Nigel Bach.

Also he gets a better phone mounted outside his front door.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 11, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Fart City posted:

please do not do this to me

Monster Squad is 31 Years Old.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Epic of Gilgamesh is 4119 years old. Still feels like it came out yesterday.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Epic of Gilgamesh is 4119 years old. Still feels like it came out yesterday.

RIP Enkidu, gone far too soon.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

lmao at the poser itt READING instead of trying to comprehend the horror of existence as a single-celled organism

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

I think Phantasm's hitting 40 this year.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Phantasm is my choice for birth year horror. It was released a few months before I was born though so not exactly same month.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

After watching Horror Noire, I finally watched Blacula which is on Prime right now. Pretty legit! Basically a pretty straight take on a vampire story and not the camp fest you'd expect from the title. The guy who plays Blacula is smooth af.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zwabu posted:

After watching Horror Noire, I finally watched Blacula which is on Prime right now. Pretty legit! Basically a pretty straight take on a vampire story and not the camp fest you'd expect from the title. The guy who plays Blacula is smooth af.

William Marshall owns. He plays the sort of Father Merrin-equivalent bishop in Abby also and IIRC much of how the melding of faiths happens there is based on his own actual Yoruba knowledge. He was also a trained opera singer and in addition was considered to be the best person to ever play Othello. Guy was insanely talented but never got his due because he was IIRC blacklisted for communist ties.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Speaking of, is Abby available anywhere in good quality? I remember it popping up on Shudder forever ago but it was a VHS rip. Probably the best I've ever seen it looking is in the excerpts in Horror Noire.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Phantasm is my choice for birth year horror. It was released a few months before I was born though so not exactly same month.

I'm quite grateful to be born in 1988 because I get to age along with some very good poo poo.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

Housebound is awesome. It’s a perfect blend of comedy and horror and it really keeps you on your toes.

I'm a huge fan of showing it to people without letting them know the basic premise of the movie. I went in blind myself and wish I could do it again.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I’m glad I went into Housebound blind. I’m actually kind of a spoiler hound so I usually read the entire synopsis for a movie before I see it, but I’m glad I didn’t do that with Housebound.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He goes into comedy after that and never really comes back around, even when it seems like it won’t be a comedy. Number five (?) is a one-person show featuring an actual actor. It is a remarkable feat of self-restraint from writer-director-producer-fx supervisor-star Nigel Bach.

Also he gets a better phone mounted outside his front door.

Definitely watch the 30 minute making-of special, too. It seems like Nigel's just a dude who is figuring this whole filmmaking thing as he's going, and I love it so much. I unironically love Bad Ben and Tom Riley.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
The real horror of the mom/pop video rentals, was watching my dad pick out an x-rated movie in the 18+ section, while I stared at 80's horror covers pretending not to understand. :(
The Faces of Death cover still reminds me of that akward drive home with my dad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't pick a "birth year" movie. I have too many choices.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Jedit posted:

I couldn't pick a "birth year" movie. I have too many choices.

You have to pick or it just becomes the movie that was released closest to your birthday.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Mine is Tetsuo the Iron Man, so that’s pretty cool.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

Speaking of, is Abby available anywhere in good quality? I remember it popping up on Shudder forever ago but it was a VHS rip. Probably the best I've ever seen it looking is in the excerpts in Horror Noire.

Yeah, now I'm looking for Abby and Sugar Hill (Sugar Hill can be rented from Amazon I believe). Ganja and Hess is on Shudder, and Eve's Bayou is on Starz. I think everyone here has seen Tales from the Hood, but I never got around to watching Bones, which is also on Shudder right now. So Horror Noire gave me some titles I'm interested in seeing now. I think Def By Temptation is on tubi also, never got around to watching that but I'm intrigued based on the clips in Horror Noire.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Hollismason posted:

You have to pick or it just becomes the movie that was released closest to your birthday.

Ohh I can pick "Alien" so that's an easy choice.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The film whose release is closest to my birth date is Cool as Ice. I don't know how to feel about that.

The closest horror film is Two Evil Eyes, which I've never seen. It's a collaboration between Argento and Romero though, so I should probably rectify that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Beyond is one day off for me. That’s... acceptable.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I got curious and wanted to know what horror movies came out in my birth year and honestly it was a stellar year for horror:

- 976-EVIL
- The Exorcist 3
- The best F13 movie: Jason Takes Manhattan
- Leviathan
- Puppet Master
- Society
- Tesuo The Iron Man

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

STAC Goat posted:

The Boy was weird because it starts off going one way, totally swerves you and goes another, and then swerves you again and just finishes out of nowhere.

It wasn't a "good film" but every time I thought I might be tempted to turn it off I was all "Wait... really? Ok, you've got my attention."

The only thing bad about it is that it doesn't commit to its premise like it should.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwabu posted:

Scream Blacula Scream is even better, imo.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The year I was born also gave us Suspiria, Eraserhead, The Car, Rabid, The Hills Have Eyes and Death Bed: The Bed That Eats. My favorite from that year is Hausu, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Car is a real good one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Star Trek III, and Once Upon a Time in America were all released within a week of my birth. Not bad, not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Texas chainsaw 3 lmbo