Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Imperator: Cracking Open A Cold One With the Boii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cease to Hope posted:

someone willing to put in some work for a decent OP should make an imperator thread

I suggest "Carthagoon delenda est"

We still don't really have anything to discuss, and we're not gonna until release day, really.

I mean, making a thread isn't going to hurt anyone but it seems kind of pointless right now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Imperator: Rome - Back in the SPQR

Imperator: Rome - True Roman Thread For True Romans

Imperator: Rome - Veni

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

We still don't really have anything to discuss, and we're not gonna until release day, really.

I mean, making a thread isn't going to hurt anyone but it seems kind of pointless right now.

usually it takes about three months for anyone to get their act together for anything on here though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mantis42 posted:

Imperator: Rome - Veni Videogame Vici

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
No keep trying guys, I'm sure one of you will manage to post a joke

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what is gonna be worse the thread title or the game itself

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
arrhythmia's good posts that people want to read

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Imperator: Rome - Back in the SPQR

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Imperator: The Sequel To The Crete LP

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Mantis42 posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

“Imperator: Rome”

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Imperator: Rome - Et Tu Groogy?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

“Imperator: Rome”

:hmmyes:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'd go with a better phrased "Imperator: Rome - Not just about Rome!" I think it'd get more attention if people who are sick of Roman stuff know they can be Egyptian, Phoenician, etc.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Paradox Made An Ancient World Game But They Named It After Rome Also I'm Trapped In A Parallel World With Cicero And My Smartphone

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Now the Roman trash game is out of the way they can hopefully start working on a proper title, like Victoria III.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if paradox did come out with Victoria 3, it would be just in time to start bugging them about CK3

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Definitely need Stellaris 2, soonish.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I feel it's about time for Stellaris 3, personally.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Imperator Rome: dulce et decorum est pro Paradox emere

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Veni, Vidi, Vici III

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Imperator: All Games Lead To Rome

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jabor posted:

Veni, Vidi, Vici III

Who was it did the "Veni, Vidi, Avicii" thread title?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you know you're just going to do this routine two months from now again

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Playing Victoria 2, I'm trying to figure out some basic stuff about the economy (I know).

Running some games with Brazil and Sweden, I think I've gotten some idea of how some stuff connects.

So I'm trying out westernizing as Ethiopia. There seems to simply be no way to make the economy work?
RIght off the bat I'm forced to tax and tariff at 100%, people are constantly leaving the country, and I can't maintain an army.

Trying to up literacy or admin efficiency just ties even more of the budget up, and I'm not sure if I can affect the income in any other way than the reforms themselves.

Also, joining a sphere made my tariff collapse, but also changed the life needs of most pops to decent, and I don't really understand how. Do tariffs not count within a sphere?

Even as I'm about to complete this somewhat before the scramble, even getting the necessary 30 or so prestige to jump up to colonization seems impossible, the required techs nonewithstanding.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Nosfereefer posted:

Also, joining a sphere made my tariff collapse, but also changed the life needs of most pops to decent, and I don't really understand how. Do tariffs not count within a sphere?

You can't tarrif your sphere leaders goods.

As for the rest of that, welcome to playing a backwater that doesn't have a ton of events/decisions/special tech schools/free rp (looking at you Japan) to catch up. Either add some in yourself or get ready to afk through most the game. You won't be able to afford most anything as an unciv, so you'll have to choose between funding your army and your civilian pops (it'll be neither). Your best chance at getting in on the scramble for africa as ethiopia is beating up a weak Euro that takes a chunk.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

DrSunshine posted:

Imperator: Rome - Et Tu Groogy?

Yes please, I'll do my best to live up to this name in the Dev Clash as well.

edit: Also you should root for me in the game
https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/1094986879412420609

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 11, 2019

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Imperator: Rome: Back in the SPQR is the only choice for me.

They leave the Gauls behind
And Genoa girls make me scream and shout
that Piedmont's always on my mind
Aw come on!

Yeah I'm back in the S.P.Q.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the S.P.Q.R.
Well Palermo girls really knock me out
They leave the Gauls behind

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Groogy posted:

Yes please, I'll do my best to live up to this name in the Dev Clash as well.

edit: Also you should root for me in the game
https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/1094986879412420609

Whoa, you're really selling it, Groogy. I'll root for you!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You can't tarrif your sphere leaders goods.

As for the rest of that, welcome to playing a backwater that doesn't have a ton of events/decisions/special tech schools/free rp (looking at you Japan) to catch up. Either add some in yourself or get ready to afk through most the game. You won't be able to afford most anything as an unciv, so you'll have to choose between funding your army and your civilian pops (it'll be neither). Your best chance at getting in on the scramble for africa as ethiopia is beating up a weak Euro that takes a chunk.

Which means I don't get any prestige for that either...

You know, I think just maaaaybe Ethiopia is a bit low on the gamelplay content.

Also their unique decision gave me a couple of months worth of research points and two whole prestige. Yup, what a golden age indeed.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Nosfereefer posted:

Which means I don't get any prestige for that either...

You know, I think just maaaaybe Ethiopia is a bit low on the gamelplay content.

Also their unique decision gave me a couple of months worth of research points and two whole prestige. Yup, what a golden age indeed.

It's unironically worth to copy over the boosts Japan gets in their events/decisions folder and switch to whatever unciv tag you're playing after a requisite boost. Or just start using console to give yourself a fun starting position anyhow, a ton of not-europe is screwed for dozens of reasons that boil down to bad core assumptions (i.e. South America being starved of industralization resource because the game presumes a certain level of development that doesn't map to your actual techs/development). Also run mods if you don't, they'll usually give the major uncivs enough flavor to make them worth a run.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Imperator: Rome - Goon-men are the epitome of civilization

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It's unironically worth to copy over the boosts Japan gets in their events/decisions folder and switch to whatever unciv tag you're playing after a requisite boost. Or just start using console to give yourself a fun starting position anyhow, a ton of not-europe is screwed for dozens of reasons that boil down to bad core assumptions (i.e. South America being starved of industralization resource because the game presumes a certain level of development that doesn't map to your actual techs/development). Also run mods if you don't, they'll usually give the major uncivs enough flavor to make them worth a run.

Yeah, I've tried a number of approaches because I love to break Paradox games, but it seems plainly out of reach without cheats or mods. For lack of neighbours I tried to invade Sokoto and the Arabian coast for points which kind of worked for a little while, but left me way overstretched.

And at some point it just seems like I can't maintain my army at all. Have around 10 regiments in '56, all irregulars, and even setting the entire economy to military is no enough to buy more wool.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
V2 is honestly not a good game. Most countries have very little you can actually do, a lot of systems are extremely esoteric and difficult to interact with, and in general the game is hard to enjoy. I say this as someone who has spent hundreds of hours on V2. It's an incredibly flawed game that manages to be fun on occasion in spite of itself.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
My biggest disappointment is how little it matters whether communists or fascists govern your country, and how interactions between countries is just -200 +200 relations with no real effect.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Isn't that every map game though?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
CK2 models foreign politics better than almost any other pdox game the only real issue is the lack of peace treaties.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

V2 is honestly not a good game. Most countries have very little you can actually do, a lot of systems are extremely esoteric and difficult to interact with, and in general the game is hard to enjoy. I say this as someone who has spent hundreds of hours on V2. It's an incredibly flawed game that manages to be fun on occasion in spite of itself.

Yeah, I kind of try to make the system do stuff in spite of itself. Like maintaining communism in larger parts of Europe with Soviet Turks.

Figured that I couldn't risk the military to stagnate at any point with the Ottomans, I was keeping the Janissaries in government at all times while forcing industrialization before losing great power status. This involved invading the Egyptians a lot.
Other than that I was keeping a more or less 200 relationship with all the other great powers to stack any crisis in my territory in my favour, and this in turn gave me a lot of white peace resolutions which then gave me more prestige.

By around 1890 I'm well into the game, having secured some sweet Congolese rubber murderholesplantations, and starting to rival France's industry.
There have however not been a single political reform in over 50 years, and a lot of people are somewhat miffed about this. My constant attention to the military made this irrelevant, but at some point I notice a good stack of communists in Constantinople, and figure, hey, let's do some politics. I didn't need my sphere, as my colonies produced more than enough raw materials, and had plenty of prestige to burn.

This doesn't really change anything immediatly, as I was already running a command economy, but the medical reforms made my population increase rather pleasingly. France is also communist by this time, which makes for a rather pleasing Franco-Turkish communist block.
I am however irritated by the fact that secondary power Austria is blocking my way from intervening in Great Wars. They have dedicated themselves to neutrality, and refuses us to cross at any time.
Until I notice I can fabricate a casus belli "Install Communism" for little infamy, which also adds said county to my sphere. Vienna falls within months.
Then Rome.
Then Madrid.

This is all working out rather good, and by this time I realize I've expanded my military beyond the other great powers.
So I decide to start a World War against Germany. France stays out, but good old reactionary Russia is more than happy to beat up some Krauts and Brits. My hope was that breaking their military strength would sow the seeds of revolution.
The southern front was slowly and meticulously advancing towards Berlin, the Eastern front was a chaotic bloodbath, and the British couldn't be bothered showing up.
All this time France has been undermining my hold on the southern satellites, which cut off my military access.
And promptly having a billion jacobins spawning in Paris.

In the end neither UK or Germany descended into revolution, and both Italy and Spain regressed to their previous borgoise states without the Turkish Vanguard.

RIP the islamocommunist revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Having an actually fun successful '48 into world revolution run is the main reason I want v3