Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Lemme just whip out my dongles here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I was never really an Apple products person but it's kind of funny watching them turn into what weird android/windows evangelists accused them of being in 2010

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

restored my imac to a time machine point before i installed mojave and i'm glad for it. mojave is real bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the fonts in yospos make it worth it alone. looks like high sierra is the terminal os for a 2012 imac even if mojave is technically supported. this machine was basically unusable at times.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont hate mojave but it does seem pretty slow

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Mac users sound like Linux users back in the 90s, talking about font rendering all the time.

So many things Windows users take for granted, like websites looking fine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lambert posted:

Mac users sound like Linux users back in the 90s, talking about font rendering all the time.

So many things Windows users take for granted, like websites looking fine.

its pretty bad, op. apple died with steve.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
apple should stop trying to force innovation and just focus on making best in class everything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

apple should stop trying to force innovation and just focus on making best in class everything

they're a phone company that kinda incidentally makes computers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they're a phone company that kinda incidentally makes computers

MAGA now means MAKE APPLE GREAT AGAIN

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
make apple (cheese)graters again

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for the terrible ideas Apple realizes with the new Mac Pro.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Lambert posted:

Can't wait for the terrible ideas Apple realizes with the new Mac Pro.

like they have the best engineers and designers and tons of money if they wanted they could totally make the best computer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

like they have the best engineers and designers and tons of money if they wanted they could totally make the best computer

if

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just think it would be cool if they made a really good computer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
they should bring back the fruity colors imo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Soricidus posted:

they should bring back the fruity colors imo

absolutely. make apple fun again :)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apple was always really stuffy, but tried to brand itself as being cooler than IBM.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

this is their problem. all their designers are already at the peak of their industry so they’re more concerned with getting their work in the braun design sammlung than actually making something users want

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, they have no goddamn idea how people use their computers, or what they use them for. so they build something for some idealized wholly made in cupertino concept of their users, who don't actually exist outside of the apple campus

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I'd just like one iOS update, ONE. SINGULAR. IOS. UPDATE. to honor my "yeah no let's keep Bluetooth off" option on reboot after installing said update.

Come to think of it, I believe there WAS a recent-ish update that didn't auto-enable BT after rebooting.

I saw that, nameless (and now prolly fired) Apple engineer. I salute you, and wish you nothing but all honor in Valhalla.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Switzerland posted:

I'd just like one iOS update, ONE. SINGULAR. IOS. UPDATE. to honor my "yeah no let's keep Bluetooth off" option on reboot after installing said update.

Come to think of it, I believe there WAS a recent-ish update that didn't auto-enable BT after rebooting.

I saw that, nameless (and now prolly fired) Apple engineer. I salute you, and wish you nothing but all honor in Valhalla.

why don't you want bluetooth on? security reason?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i guess it wastes power if you don't have any BT devices and thus will never have any reason to use BT

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but if you've gone through the trouble to turn it off in the "no, really, turn this off don't just change the colour of the indicator icon" way in the settings app, then there's not a lot of reason for an update to reset that.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I might be misremembering, but weren't there some BT-related security issues way back when, which, when folks dug deeper, got hushed up and the tinfoil-hat folks were all "omg it's bad and state actors are coming down hard on disclosures cos 1) it's a hardware issue, and 2) they like it cos it helps the spies!!"

Also I have no need for bluetooth, cos i prefer in-ear headphones (sosumi.aiff) and airpods won't stay in my ears.

Switzerland fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 11, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's also the BT beacon bullshit in retail, but frankly it doesn't matter, if you're not using BT devices there's no reason to have BT enabled. at the very least, there's no reason to re-enable it after every update when it has specifically been disabled.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ya that's fair. bluetooth audio quality is super soft anyways.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

akadajet posted:

ya that's fair. bluetooth audio quality is super soft anyways.

bluetooth audio is great for the 14 seconds before another bluetooth thing within 30 feet also wants to talk so now the audio pops and breaks up every single time

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Apple ran a Mac commercial on the Grammys with a bunch of photos of people using Macbooks and literally 85% of the Macbooks in the photos had glowing logos

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sniep posted:

bluetooth audio is great for the 14 seconds before another bluetooth thing within 30 feet also wants to talk so now the audio pops and breaks up every single time

what lovely things are you using. i ride pedicab’s for a living and we all have bluetooth speakers from every manufacturer and none of ours snap crackle or pop. that’s like 8 speakers in two car lengths a lot of the time. at very loud volumes even

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

my plantronics headphones rules

Linguica posted:

Apple ran a Mac commercial on the Grammys with a bunch of photos of people using Macbooks and literally 85% of the Macbooks in the photos had glowing logos

i dont get why this is of significance

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

my plantronics headphones rules

:same:

the other two sets i have are garbo though

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
my bose QC35s own pretty hard, they dont break up much

airpods are trash

love too walk down the street and have them break up and hiccup every block or two

ikea eneby BT speaker? it breaks up with apple watch in the middle between it and the source phone

i have a problem with speakers ok i have likely a dozen BT sets around and a lot of them have really awful performance when in and around other BT devices. it's just a thing - like wifi - too much in one spot and none of it works that well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

:same:

the other two sets i have are garbo though

ive had gently caress all experience with others except that my own experience ... has been good

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sniep posted:

mine did when it connected to my work phone and my own phone at the same time.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i dont get why this is of significance

because the products apple sells does not have glowing logos, presumably

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Wheany posted:

mine did when it connected to my work phone and my own phone at the same time.

oh yeah i never dual connect - and the protocol makes that a pain in the dick

i basically re-pair every time from scratch for some devices

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i think there’s a good joke based on “it’s an ipod, a phone, and a web browser “ but i cant see it

the only man who could is now in heaven

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sniep posted:

airpods are trash

love too walk down the street and have them break up and hiccup every block or two

ikea eneby BT speaker? it breaks up with apple watch in the middle between it and the source phone

i have a problem with speakers ok i have likely a dozen BT sets around and a lot of them have really awful performance when in and around other BT devices. it's just a thing - like wifi - too much in one spot and none of it works that well

so the other thing here is if you want perfect audio fidelity you should not use a wireless standard. bt audio is “pretty good” but you’ll never get the best sound.

what speakers are you buying? almost all of us use ueboom, jambox, boombotix, and jbl flips and the only distortion any of us get is by a construction site where they’re definitely using that frequency for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The most annoying thing about all those Bluetooth speakers is how base-heavy their sound tends to be.