Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drat, i'm dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

drat, i'm dumb as hell

Did you join team pancake?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Did you join team pancake?

okay i'm not that dumb

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress

do the splat zones in shifty station actually do anything? It seems like they are just a distraction

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Bloop posted:

What the gently caress

do the splat zones in shifty station actually do anything? It seems like they are just a distraction

They boost your coverage and are swingy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nephzinho posted:

They boost your coverage and are swingy.

Yeah I realized while I was just playing how they do give you some "free" ink when you take one. I never thought about them in terms of turf war before but its pretty cool.

Overall I think the Shifty Stations have been a great experiment

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

The Bloop posted:

What the gently caress

You can swing a match if you flip a couple near the end, also good for trapping enemies. Not their greatest gimmick map ever but it’s decent.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I need to have least 1 non poo poo team mate game come on. They're not even trying

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm really enjoying the Undercover Brella more and more, especially the better I get with them. The Kensa version is unfortunately worse now that the Torpedo is far less cost-effective. It was great for drawing crucial seconds allowing the abysmally weak Undercover Brella to get a kill. I'm using the Sorella version more and more. I like pushing far into the enemies side, hassling them, having it break and rolling out to safety. With a good team it allows for clean-up while I distract and harass. I was never able to get much mileage out of the original one. Ink Mines are still kinda weird to me and Splashdown isn't my favorite Special.

I don't use it in ranked but it's super fun to use in Turf Wars. I wonder how to translate that use to the stronger umbrella weapons. I'm so bad at aiming it's probably not worth it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pancakes has no good players, I hosed up

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LethalGeek posted:

I've gotten on some pancake teams where my teammates were some of the rudest sexual tyrannosaurs who only existed for the purpose of loving up team waffle and they kept on crushing the opposition in the most brutal fashion imaginable. :kiddo:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LethalGeek posted:

I'm sorry. I'm way out of practice :(

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm looking at my team point average and they're always lower. Idk where you were but past 2000 they don't exist.

I've lost so many games as the top splatter (usually 50% of the team total), top ink, least deaths and most specials. It's just dire over here

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 9, 2019

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm merely a filthy casual and don't play Pro matches but yeah in general pancake enthusiasts don't seem to be doing all that great

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've only spent enough time playing to get to level 12 and I haven't lost a team waffle pro match yet this is the most one sided splatfest I've ever seen

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Brother Entropy posted:

what the gently caress

when did they change that

Since 4.0.0, so in September.

1500quidpoocati posted:

You can swing a match if you flip a couple near the end, also good for trapping enemies. Not their greatest gimmick map ever but it's decent.

Yeah, it's not an exciting gimmick, but the map isn't awful to fight on, thankfully.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there something going on with the servers? i just got a match that was literally me by myself vs 2 dudes, everyone else disconnected before the match started

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

shame on an IGA posted:

I've only spent enough time playing to get to level 12 and I haven't lost a team waffle pro match yet this is the most one sided splatfest I've ever seen

Don't worry, I had the absolute worst losing streak of my "career" a few hours ago so Team Pancake was probably able to recover any damage you did.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Brother Entropy posted:

there something going on with the servers? i just got a match that was literally me by myself vs 2 dudes, everyone else disconnected before the match started

There are no servers. That was a bunch of people playing on bad WiFi, and one of you that remained was the host.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That said the only 100x winners I see on the news are pancakes so :iiam:

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
https://twitter.com/dprk_news/status/1094385868326998021?s=21

The parody North Korea account (great follow btw) is referencing Splatoon. What an age we live in.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Randumb Thots posted:

The parody North Korea account (great follow btw) is referencing Splatoon. What an age we live in.

wow i cant believe the person running the racist propaganda account might be a Gamer

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Go get yer drat slugs.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 10, 2019

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dang, this is what. The second or third full sweep of Splat2?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I feel much better about what happened to me after seeing that. Man.

soppi
Jan 27, 2019
I lost my first 13 salmon runs and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. I felt like I understood everything but it was just so soul crushing. This was last night and I eventually won the last two. Now today I've won 7 of 8 and one we had almost 60 eggs which is a lot for me. I feel like I understand strategy, and I know I'm probably doing something wrong, but i just couldn't finish a single game thirteen times in a row. I don't die much at all, I don't think it's positioning. Now all of a sudden I'm crushing it and I don't know what changed.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

soppi posted:

I lost my first 13 salmon runs and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. I felt like I understood everything but it was just so soul crushing. This was last night and I eventually won the last two. Now today I've won 7 of 8 and one we had almost 60 eggs which is a lot for me. I feel like I understand strategy, and I know I'm probably doing something wrong, but i just couldn't finish a single game thirteen times in a row. I don't die much at all, I don't think it's positioning. Now all of a sudden I'm crushing it and I don't know what changed.

It's complicated! There's a lot going on and this weekend's weapon randomization doesn't help. The big things are to not die, splat bosses, keep teammates alive, run eggs; these are not serial goals, these are omnipresent responsibilities.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Plus the truely random weapons is gonna make or break you every round. Lots of the weapons require different play styles and id think most everyone has blind spots with certain ones. Or you get loaded with 3 auto shotguns and wreck the round.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

Plus the truely random weapons is gonna make or break you every round. Lots of the weapons require different play styles and id think most everyone has blind spots with certain ones. Or you get loaded with 3 auto shotguns and wreck the round.

Seriously, I'm downright terrible with most splattershots. I got scoped versions twice in a row and was just completely deadweight.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just bought this and leveled up to 4ish, having fun.

That being said, any more tips for brand now folks? I read through the OP and the before I play wiki, for what it’s worth.

So far, I’m really liking the giant roller things

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

omg chael crash posted:

That being said, any more tips for brand now folks? I read through the OP and the before I play wiki, for what it’s worth.

Play the campaign. It’s good at teaching you movement and a variety of abilities. Play with gyro aiming on if you already aren’t doing so. It takes some getting used to but it’s so much better than without it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Yep campaign is good to teach you the ropes. If you like the rollers use the rollers. I found it was helpful to find a weapon type I liked and stick with it. I'd try one of each type initially to get a feel for the ones you most prefer.

Shooter weapons are also good to try out since they're easy to use and you'll quickly grasp the basics of the game using a simple splattershot.

Also, in Turf War, killing the enemy is not the point. It's painting territory, and if you feel like you're a bad shot, it's almost always more beneficial to run away and paint elsewhere than risk a confrontation. Besides being just plain fun to swim around, mobility is key to this game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Every now and then I get my poo poo rocked by someone who has gear with 4 slots filled with the same ability. Is that just certain gear or do they do something with that urchin dude to get that?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

Every now and then I get my poo poo rocked by someone who has gear with 4 slots filled with the same ability. Is that just certain gear or do they do something with that urchin dude to get that?

The latter. Murch gives you ability tokens when you wash them out of gear, and you can spend them with him to load up the ability of your choice in gear: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Ability#Splatoon_2

If someone has stacked gear it's because they've spent a lot of time on it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The latter, urchin guy. It used to be purely random chance back in Splat 1. But now you can scrub chunks to put abilities in slots. 10 chunks for the first ability (not slot, but first time it's a sub,) 20 for the 2nd, and 30 for the 3rd, for a grand total of 60 sub ability chunks to make it pure whatever. Each sub scrubbed from gear gives you one chunk. They can also be found randomly in salmon run from the bonuses.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gear customization is Nice But Not Required so don't stress it much too

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, they're nice, but no replacement for skill. Especially since the benefits of one ability eating up multiple gear slots diminish for every slot it takes up.

omg chael crash posted:

That being said, any more tips for brand now folks? I read through the OP and the before I play wiki, for what it's worth.

So far, I'm really liking the giant roller things

The campaign is basically supposed to be the tutorial, and gives you a place to get used to the game's controls. Go ahead and spend some time there first if you don't feel too comfortable with the game. Also motion controls help with fine tuning your aim (though they're not required to play well.)

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, they're nice, but no replacement for skill. Especially since the benefits of one ability eating up multiple gear slots diminish for every slot it takes up.

The campaign is basically supposed to be the tutorial, and gives you a place to get used to the game's controls. Go ahead and spend some time there first if you don't feel too comfortable with the game. Also motion controls help with fine tuning your aim (though they're not required to play well.)

Especially given that a lot of abilities are one point wonders where a single sub can do a lot for you, like ink resist, special saver, quick super jump, and bomb resist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Technically you don't need gear slotted with the same ability, you can get the same effect spreading it out across different pieces of gear and it's cheaper too. However, gear fully slotted with the same ability makes it a lot easier to mix and match abilities for what you want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Getting perfect gear can be a hair pulling experience. According to the wiki, a matching set of three on a favorable brand with a drink ticket has only a 2.7% chance. Or if you spend chunks, it takes 30 to fill that last slot, 50 to fill the last two slots, or 60 for a full item.

The worst part is when you do eventually get a perfect item, it'll be something hard to coordinate with. My Special Charge Up torso is Samurai Jacket, do you know how hard it is to make a good look with that?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Technically you don't need gear slotted with the same ability, you can get the same effect spreading it out across different pieces of gear and it's cheaper too. However, gear fully slotted with the same ability makes it a lot easier to mix and match abilities for what you want to do.

Strongly agree. Unless you're going for a full set of 9, its easier to spread them out and diversify. Three items each with a Special Charge Up, Special Power Up, and a random ability will be just as effective as 2 pure items and one utility.