Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is a LOT of padding in those Worlds though, and some are almost certainly unfinished. Frozen has you running up the mountain three. Times. Because you get knocked down again juuust as you reach Elsa's castle twice. And that's the entire World, aside from a cutscene on the frozen lake.

Arendelle is by far the worst level by a wide margin, to be fair. Even the other two "basically just the story" worlds play pretty well. Even Black Flag For The Arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

this did not subvert my expectations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

in particular, it probably falls on voice director Bob Buchholtz, who's handled every Kingdom Hearts after the first game and whose itinerary is like a graveyard of wasted talent

virtually every SE property where everyone speaks in that robotic, stilted monotone has him at the helm, including Advent Children and the transcendentally bad Type-0 localization

Ah, now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. I thought he retired from VA/directing work? The guy's a decent enough voice actor, he's done quite a few roles I've enjoyed but he's kind of a hack when it comes to writing, translating, and directing going back to his days on Digimon in the late 90s.

Also yeah, as someone who was press-ganged into an LP of Type-0 that was literally just damnatio memoriae'd by the guy behind it as I was writing this post, I can attest that game had an AWFUL localization job.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Imagine mashing the attack button for 60 hours but instead of whatever nonsense its usually about, we get the satisfyng character development of mike wazowski grieving over frozen's suicide but thanks to woody's support he gets over it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

in particular, it probably falls on voice director Bob Buchholtz, who's handled every Kingdom Hearts after the first game and whose itinerary is like a graveyard of wasted talent

virtually every SE property where everyone speaks in that robotic, stilted monotone has him at the helm, including Advent Children and the transcendentally bad Type-0 localization

I do remember they made a big deal out of some of the stunt-casting for the game at the time, and then not only did they hire people who hadn't really done voice acting before they also turned into the most lifeless performances ever. Even Resident Evil's original performance had more umph to it. Barry's actor made not have known how to convey it, but he did on some level hope that it was not Chris' blood. David Boreanaz, though, that dude just read whatever and they yelled cut. The only good performance I can recall was Bill Farmer as Goofy, but then he's been Goofy for a few decades now.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
smdh at not mentioning billy zane as the standout

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I do remember they made a big deal out of some of the stunt-casting for the game at the time, and then not only did they hire people who hadn't really done voice acting before they also turned into the most lifeless performances ever. Even Resident Evil's original performance had more umph to it. Barry's actor made not have known how to convey it, but he did on some level hope that it was not Chris' blood. David Boreanaz, though, that dude just read whatever and they yelled cut. The only good performance I can recall was Bill Farmer as Goofy, but then he's been Goofy for a few decades now.

boreanaz voiced squall so that was just him being true to character

KH1 (which, again, was the only one that didn't have buchholtz strangling it to death) had decent voice work overall, especially from billy zane as mentioned above

everyone was a lot more willing to lean into the silliness

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

KH1 (which, again, was the only one that didn't have buchholtz strangling it to death) had decent voice work overall, especially from billy zane as mentioned above

Having revisited it, some did sound earnest it's true. Some didn't sound awake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lessail posted:

smdh at not mentioning billy zane as the standout

Did Billy Zane ever give a reason for not coming back to voice Ansem* in the subsequent games? I know he's notoriously hard to work with and a bit of a perennial Hollywood outcast but the dude loving killed it in that role and Richard Epcar, who's a drat good actor in his own right, just never brought the same charisma to it that Zane did.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Did Billy Zane ever give a reason for not coming back to voice Ansem* in the subsequent games? I know he's notoriously hard to work with and a bit of a perennial Hollywood outcast but the dude loving killed it in that role and Richard Epcar, who's a drat good actor in his own right, just never brought the same charisma to it that Zane did.

I had always seen Valley of the Wolves cited as the reason why Zane was sort of blacklisted by Disney, due to controversies surrounding it. I don't think I've ever seen it substantiated, mind you.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Waffles Inc. posted:

Glad to see someone else saying this, because it is this weird song and dance that the internet does every time KH comes up

But if you act exasperatedly to describe any sci-fi or fantasy plot you get the same results

“And the the guy who was stalking luke has magic powers????? And a sword that’s like....a laser for some reason? And a giant ball? That...kills planets? Smh”

Why people choose this particular franchise to huff and puff about is so weird

I think it's because Kingdom Hearts is just a little bit more ridiculous than the norm. Anime boys standing beside Disney characters is very unusual, but that's the point. It's a very strange crossover (although the latest entry is lacking in Final Fantasy as far as I can tell, I'm not done yet). Nomura's designs are still very zippery. But it's a lot of fun to dunk on Kingdom Hearts so all the goons out there are going to raise their hands and shrug, squealing out, "What is this supposed to be!?!?" because they have no imagination and suck.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dawgstar posted:

David Boreanaz, though, that dude just read whatever and they yelled cut.

It sucks because he can be a pretty fun actor too, no matter what he does he's always gonna be Angel to me because I loved that show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's all sorts of creatives who have ideas that will never get a lot of backing, great ideas but they won't get rich off of them. Often they'll find a way to get them published or distributed, but they'll get passed over from wider audiences because they don't have characters they already know and don't have production values high enough. Indie games with tiny teams, webcomics with an artist who's just starting out, who reads books these days especially weird sci fi, there's entire shelves of sci fi full of crazy worlds that won't ever get a CGI treatment. And these days effects have progressed so fast that shows and movies from before the year 2000 that DID have the highest budget are often seen as unwatchable.

And yet Kingdom Hearts, a megabudget game about things you recognize is what I'm unimaginative for not appreciating the script for fully.

I don't begrudge enjoyment of the game. I watch Kamen Rider regularly. That's a toy commercial, even Amazonz when it had blood and murder and bleak despair was a toy commercial. It's fine. But stop finding ways to be better than people who don't like what you like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Haley Joel Osmett voicing Sora was a big deal for the early 2000's, and it's kinda impressive he's stuck with the role through to Kingdom Hearts 3.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've seen three worlds of KH3 being played and so far it just seems boring. Woody giving a speech about the power of friendship to the dumb OC villain was fun but that's it.

I was promised anime melodrama with Goofy and this game isn't delivering (yet)!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

DeafNote posted:

That sketch was alright. But the best summary of KH is still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiHufVEc7g

As for Dunkey. I never watched his stuff directly outside of that Octopath review a lot of people took umbrage with.
So I did see him playing that game and its encounters in the slowest way possible, while mistakenly assuming he was fighting level 1 monsters, which would make any combat system look awful.
I dont think thats him trying to misrepresent the game on purpose though, more a consequence of a natural dislike of random battles and trying to brute force through them.
(though the game does give you plenty of explanations on how combat works)

I liked the game more than he did, but I do kinda agree that Random encounters are an unnecessary throwback (outside of Pokemon). Just give it an off switch in that case, like Bravely Default did.

No he actually does it on purpose. He’s done it before for other videos.

For example there was one video where he compared LoL and Dota graphics, he used modern footage for LoL in an empty lane with only two characters in it. For the Dota one he used 2011 footage in a 5 v5 fight with multiple heroes who have the ability to micromanage other characters. He used this as an example of how one game was visually clearer than the other.

There was also an Assasin creeds video where if I remember correctly he recreated very hard to get glitches as an example of the game being fundamentally brolken. He’s a funny guy but don’t give him a pass, there are lots of examples where he either omits information or outright lies to make a point

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asuron posted:

No he actually does it on purpose. He’s done it before for other videos.

For example there was one video where he compared LoL and Dota graphics, he used modern footage for LoL in an empty lane with only two characters in it. For the Dota one he used 2011 footage in a 5 v5 fight with multiple heroes who have the ability to micromanage other characters. He used this as an example of how one game was visually clearer than the other.

There was also an Assasin creeds video where if I remember correctly he recreated very hard to get glitches as an example of the game being fundamentally brolken. He’s a funny guy but don’t give him a pass, there are lots of examples where he either omits information or outright lies to make a point

These sound like jokes along the lines of the Smash Trailer that goes off Donkey Kong's cowlick and guesses that Jimmy Newtron will be in the game instead. But without having the video to look over I dunno, if you're not aware of Assassin's Creed having a bad bug filled launch I guess you can assume that that's just normal gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtvRaMPJWLs

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

These sound like jokes along the lines of the Smash Trailer that goes off Donkey Kong's cowlick and guesses that Jimmy Newtron will be in the game instead. But without having the video to look over I dunno, if you're not aware of Assassin's Creed having a bad bug filled launch I guess you can assume that that's just normal gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtvRaMPJWLs

They weren’t jokes, I’ve watched enough of his stuff to know the difference and also know I enjoy him as a funny guy and nothing else. He has a very good sense of comedic timing and pretty good editing skills to pull it all together.

But when he does Dunkviews, those are his attempts at serious reviews which is something he stated he wanted to do. You don’t get to say that and then hide behind the flimsy shield of”it was all a joke man, why take me seriously”.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Asuron posted:

This is weird because from within MOBAs you don't need to stack the deck at all to demonstrate just how visually muddled DotA2 is, and from without they're all incomprehensible noise so so it's not going to matter either way.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dota 2 is visually super clear when you have a pretty standard handle on the game, even it's more in-depth cosmetics are most usually within theme for the character. When you've played the game for a little, no matter what the golem actually looks like, you know when Warlock is exploding a golem into the fight, you know what Undying's zombie tombstone comes out like, LoL meanwhile has so much poo poo that regularly completely changes the visual design theme of characters that it's actually terrible, including things that were just outright advantageous, like the dumb iBlitzcrank or whatever skin that people hated for a long time, because it made his pull-you-to-him fist move's model so much smaller and the effect a lot wispier.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There's all sorts of creatives who have ideas that will never get a lot of backing, great ideas but they won't get rich off of them. Often they'll find a way to get them published or distributed, but they'll get passed over from wider audiences because they don't have characters they already know and don't have production values high enough. Indie games with tiny teams, webcomics with an artist who's just starting out, who reads books these days especially weird sci fi, there's entire shelves of sci fi full of crazy worlds that won't ever get a CGI treatment. And these days effects have progressed so fast that shows and movies from before the year 2000 that DID have the highest budget are often seen as unwatchable.

And yet Kingdom Hearts, a megabudget game about things you recognize is what I'm unimaginative for not appreciating the script for fully.

I don't begrudge enjoyment of the game. I watch Kamen Rider regularly. That's a toy commercial, even Amazonz when it had blood and murder and bleak despair was a toy commercial. It's fine. But stop finding ways to be better than people who don't like what you like.

That's a strange position to take

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Dota 2 is visually super clear when you have a pretty standard handle on the game, even it's more in-depth cosmetics are most usually within theme for the character. When you've played the game for a little, no matter what the golem actually looks like, you know when Warlock is exploding a golem into the fight, you know what Undying's zombie tombstone comes out like, LoL meanwhile has so much poo poo that regularly completely changes the visual design theme of characters that it's actually terrible, including things that were just outright advantageous, like the dumb iBlitzcrank or whatever skin that people hated for a long time, because it made his pull-you-to-him fist move's model so much smaller and the effect a lot wispier.

I have no clue what LoL looks like since I never played it, but I agree with you that Dota usually had pretty clear gfx that weren't too hard to parse unless you had 9 heroes in a massive free-for-all with all their ults going off, and even then you still had the audio that clued you in too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I don't know much about KH because I've never owned the right consoles. At any point does Donald Duck go like WAKWAKWAKWAKWAK!! in fury? Because if he does, I'm on board, I don't even care.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

HopperUK posted:

I don't know much about KH because I've never owned the right consoles. At any point does Donald Duck go like WAKWAKWAKWAKWAK!! in fury? Because if he does, I'm on board, I don't even care.

He does.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asuron posted:

They weren’t jokes, I’ve watched enough of his stuff to know the difference and also know I enjoy him as a funny guy and nothing else. He has a very good sense of comedic timing and pretty good editing skills to pull it all together.

But when he does Dunkviews, those are his attempts at serious reviews which is something he stated he wanted to do. You don’t get to say that and then hide behind the flimsy shield of”it was all a joke man, why take me seriously”.

Well, I dunno if I've even got the right video or not. Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjzgbZL12VI&t=109s

I found him using 2015 footage in it but I'll be honest, I didn't know they were totally different games because the UI's completely different thanks to it being a Pro esports stream. Dude absolutely needed to be banned for what he said though, games aren't so serious that you need to go off like you're working on the final draft of your manifesto.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Asuron posted:

dota has objectively better graphics than league lol. did he really argue that?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

DoubleCakes posted:

I think it's because Kingdom Hearts is just a little bit more ridiculous than the norm. Anime boys standing beside Disney characters is very unusual, but that's the point. It's a very strange crossover (although the latest entry is lacking in Final Fantasy as far as I can tell, I'm not done yet). Nomura's designs are still very zippery. But it's a lot of fun to dunk on Kingdom Hearts so all the goons out there are going to raise their hands and shrug, squealing out, "What is this supposed to be!?!?" because they have no imagination and suck.
No need to get so defensive dude, from my perspective you lack the imagination to see the cool version of Kingdom Hearts that appeals to my tastes and sensibilities that exists in my brain.

It's got an Emperor's New Grove level and all the original characters are replaced with Goku.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

But it's a lot of fun to dunk on Kingdom Hearts so all the goons out there are going to raise their hands and shrug, squealing out, "What is this supposed to be!?!?" because they have no imagination and suck.

Yep, people definitely don't like thing you like because they just don't get it, man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Puppy Time posted:

Yep, people definitely don't like thing you like because they just don't get it, man.

I mean that is like the point of every post isn’t it? Everyone really is saying they just don’t get it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Goon #1: i just dont think hbomberguy is funny
Steven universe inspired webcomic avatar: actually, cant you just let people enjoy A Thing? Y'all can just Not Like Thing, and thats OK. But dont go ahead and make it a point to be an rear end in a top hat for not likeing Cool and Good things.

Goon #2: hey i think you are being unfair to a frankly ridiculous game. Kingdom hearts is inoffensive fun
SmartGamer: kh is bad actually heres 50 pages about how much i dont care about the really bad game btw its bad lfmao the story is dumb

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
you don't even HAVE an avatar though, you poor piece of poo poo!!!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s..... a weird shot at Steven Universe

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Farg posted:

you don't even HAVE an avatar though, you poor piece of poo poo!!!!!

Hey i got banned for probating a gbs mod, my avatar is there somewhere.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frozen world is a mess and it’s almost certainly a result of being based off of Disney’s marketing baby with all sorts of red tape about what the developers would be allowed to alter.

The rest of the worlds are fine.

Honestly the whole “KH is convoluted nonsense” thing was only ever a meme until Dream Drop Distance when it turned out, shock of all shocks, that tying together countless separate plot threads with a neat little bow on them ain’t so easy!

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 11, 2019

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This vid's a somewhat generically presented vid about a Twitch personality, but I quite liked it as an affirmation on a fairly big scale Internet personality-wise that doing what actually makes you happy genuinely does work as opposed to playing whatever the big game currently is for views even though you clearly dislike it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM1SEjbUfzI

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm still tilted by the fact that KH3, part of a franchise that was literally billed as Final Fantasy meets Disney, apparently literally has no final fantasy characters in it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm still tilted by the fact that KH3, part of a franchise that was literally billed as Final Fantasy meets Disney, apparently literally has no final fantasy characters in it

i am more surprised that they couldn't get patton oswalt or danny daVito for an hour for couple lines.

sure but that would be fun at least. the whole quasi prime directive thing kinda ruins the creativity because you could go hog wild with planets and stories and then have the Disney stuff actually tie into the main plots. i don't hate the series, sure its dumb, but its fun.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 11, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am more surprised that they couldn't get patton oswalt or danny daVito for an hour for couple lines.

remy's just mute to anyone who's not another rat (mickey's a mouse, he doesn't count) and devito was available, it's just that SE axed phil's speaking role because his japanese VA died

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oxxidation posted:

remy's just mute to anyone who's not another rat (mickey's a mouse, he doesn't count) and devito was available, it's just that SE axed phil's speaking role because his japanese VA died

ok, thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

that can't be true, i count at least five or six Gackts from the screenshots i've seen