Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean. The backlash to Black and White fighting was already a whole series old, so that would have been on their mind well before they even conceived of the Kiryus.

More than anything, I figure it's more they wanted to do something at the end to bring their characters full circle and so they had them transform solely for the finale. Bright and Windy, as designed, look like "Bloom and Egret but more", so they're precursors to the eventual super modes that would become common later more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hafu with 6 siblings, precure advocating for the gaijins to help fix japans population problem
between this and 'stop overworking people' in the previous season they might have actually found the solution

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But it did and having enemy generals become Cures probably ended up a bit too risky for Toei so they probably changed course during designs. It's also probably why the fights at the start of Splash Star are very much more magical

And then of course they wound up doing that anyway with Setsuna in Fresh and that worked out fine.

Also for what it's worth Michiru and Kaoru's "Cure" forms do pop up again very briefly during Hugtto. It's just a short scene and they don't have any lines but it's nice to see Toei finally give them some slight acknowledgment at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 9, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So Lala's singing voice is adorable :kimchi: and looks like we get the Elena introduction next episode. As well as the obligatory "WILL PRECURE BREAK UP ALREADY BECAUSE OF DISAGREEMENTS??" episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

So Lala's singing voice is adorable :kimchi: and looks like we get the Elena introduction next episode. As well as the obligatory "WILL PRECURE BREAK UP ALREADY BECAUSE OF DISAGREEMENTS??" episode.

Does Lala at least sing a different song than Hikaru did last episode? Also, assuming one showed up this time how do the MotW work in this show?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Same song but I like this version better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRROoHrRSA

There are a bunch of faceless grunts and the dude from last time comes back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Same song but I like this version better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRROoHrRSA

There are a bunch of faceless grunts and the dude from last time comes back.

Huh, two episodes in a row without a monster. I think that might be a first for this franchise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So it looks like each girl will transform with their VA doing their own version of the song.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

So it looks like each girl will transform with their VA doing their own version of the song.

That sounds like it might get annoying after a while but maybe I'll get used to it.

In other news, it was posted in the Toku thread already but we now have official confirmation that Hasbro currently owns the rights to the Precure franchise in the west. Whether or not they'll actually end up doing anything with it (or if it'll be any better than Saban's attempt) remains to be seen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cure Milky instantly has the best Green Henshin

Edit: The thing with the Glitter Force rights is were not sure if it's just for the two series or all of it. It's been very vague and we haven't heard much which sadly is par for the course for Precure in English

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 10, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also none of the previous attempts to bring Precure to the west were all that successful from what I've heard (hell, the Futari Wa dub wasn't even aired in the US) so it's questionable at this point whether Hasbro will actually end up doing anything with it at all. We'll see I suppose.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for Episode 2. Between this and the preview for next week I'm curious if we're just not going to have any MOTW this season (though then again I seem to remember KiraKira being a bit light on random monsters as well).

NavanaSokarad
Jan 19, 2019
Magical Girl Raising Project : I just finished watching this and I have to admit. that was some seriously dark poo poo for an anime like that. At least to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think they’re just gonna introduce the generals before getting to proper monsters.

But like. Lala and Hikaru’s interaction reminds me a lot of Mirai and Riko. Lala having insecurity, being envious of Hikaru, while Hikaru herself does whatever she can to encourage Lala... it’s really reminiscent of those two.

The villains all being based on mythological beasts is another element reminiscent of Maho Girls.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It’s the Maho Girls writer again so that’s not too surprising

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If it's Maho girls writer it probably explains why Lala and Hikaru feel like a couple this early

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Milky may possibly rival Cure Peace for the best transformation sequence in the franchise.

Also I'm curious if Hikaru's dad is going to be important later (the show doesn't really make it clear yet whether he's dead or just out of the picture right now), the brief mention in this episode made it seem like he shared her love of space at any rate. I'd actually like to see more of her family in general actually (her grandpa's kind of a dick but her mom and grandmother seem cool).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Her grandpa is a typical traditional Japanese patriarch who has the responsibility of raising his grand-daughter, who has a tendency to run off chasing mysterious creatures and study the occult and doesn't seem to have any friends her own age (that we've seen, at any rate).

He strikes me less as a "dick" and more the product of his time/situation, doing his best to take care of a girl who, by Japanese society's standards, is getting to be a bit too old to run around chasing cryptids and space aliens.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the opening it looks like there are five or so generals. And we are getting a new one next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Her grandpa is a typical traditional Japanese patriarch who has the responsibility of raising his grand-daughter, who has a tendency to run off chasing mysterious creatures and study the occult and doesn't seem to have any friends her own age (that we've seen, at any rate).

He strikes me less as a "dick" and more the product of his time/situation, doing his best to take care of a girl who, by Japanese society's standards, is getting to be a bit too old to run around chasing cryptids and space aliens.

True, like many of her predecessors Hikaru is a huge nerd so I understand why her grandfather would be kind of annoyed by that. I'm sure he has better qualities that we'll end up seeing later on.

Given her placement in the OP, I'm assuming Top Hat Girl/Cure Cosmos is going to be with the bad guys initially as well (though I'm not sure how I'd feel about them doing that particular series trope twice in a row).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Me: Water types are weak to electric attacks.

Kappard: [says basically the same thing five seconds later]

I think Mr. Ryo is probably the most likely to get actively involved in the whole Precure shenanigans which would mean the grandfather probably won't be, but I assume at some point we'll get an explanation of why the grandfather is like that and I'd bet it somehow involves Hikaru's dad. Again as I've only finished on Precure series I'm framing everything in light of that and I just really loved how Tsubomi's grandmother was actually a Precure herself and was a constant source of support and help to her, and part of me wants more of that kind of stuff.

It's kind of a shame it was the same song being sung for Milky's transformation (though I like hers better), but that does give me hope that later when we have a full team and we get our first group transformation that we'll have all of them sing together and that'll be neat.

So I'm curious, what is this Cure Black/White fight you guys are talking about and what kind of backlash is it assumed that it had?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Balala update:

Youle (Noah) is a fairy prince and Balala's rough equivalent to Tuxedo Mask I guess. In the anime he has a magic sword and gets a full transformation sequence which mostly consists of his clothes getting fancy trim since he was already wearing pants and a jacket. He and Xiaolan hate each other which makes me 99% sure they're going to kiss at the end of the series.

Live action version, on the other hand, rides a motorcycle without a helmet and fights evil with his magical fairy gun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I'm curious, what is this Cure Black/White fight you guys are talking about and what kind of backlash is it assumed that it had?

It's from the second Max Heart movie (you can probably find a clip online somewhere if you search), basically Honoka(White) gets mind controlled by the villain and is pitted against Nagisa(Black). It's not that bad all things considered (in fact I would argue that some seasons after that did some even darker stuff, HeartCatch for example) but it did apparently make more than a few children upset which caused a backlash against Toei from parents, not sure how bad said backlash was to be honest but it obviously didn't last long.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 11, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Larryb posted:

It's from the second Max Heart movie (you can probably find a clip online somewhere if you search), basically Honoka gets mind controlled by the villain and is pitted against Nagisa. It's not that bad all things considered (in fact I would argue that some seasons after that did some even darker stuff, HeartCatch for example) but it did apparently make more than a few children pretty upset which caused a backlash from parents.

It seems to be the Japanese equivalent of Optimus Prime dying in terms of sheer unintentional(?) trauma.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mycot posted:

It seems to be the Japanese equivalent of Optimus Prime dying in terms of sheer unintentional(?) trauma.

I can believe that (as I recall there was also a simillar backlash to all the Scouts getting brutally murdered on screen near the end of the first season of Sailor Moon).

Speaking of which, Futari Wa takes a bit of a dip in quality after the first 26 episodes and into Max Heart (probably because Precure was originally intended to be just another flash in the pan Magical Girl series but wound up being unexpectedly popular) but it's still a decent show overall. Splash Star, Fresh, Suite, Go! Princess, and Hugtto (though I have some issues with how it ended) are also really good seasons should you choose to try something else.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Live action version, on the other hand, rides a motorcycle without a helmet and fights evil with his magical fairy gun.

:allears:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The Cure Black vs. Cure White fight is here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6aw1ql

If that was considered too dark I'm pretty amused by the fact that the Yes Precure 5 and GoGo movies that came out a couple of years later were even darker IMO.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

The Cure Black vs. Cure White fight is here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6aw1ql

If that was considered too dark I'm pretty amused by the fact that the Yes Precure 5 and GoGo movies that came out a couple of years later were even darker IMO.

Hell, not only do the Yes! 5 movie and later the Dark Precure arc in HeartCatch revisit the whole Cure vs Cure aspect but in both examples the main team's opponents just straight up DIE as a result.

Smile also did something similar (though like a lot of aspects of that series it was just kind of a pale imitation of what Yes! 5 did) and the whole mind control angle was revisited briefly in an episode of KiraKira (as well as the Flora Vs. Twilight fight in Go Princess). Like I said, obviously the backlash against the Max Heart movie didn't last for long.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 11, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

See the problem with the fight isn't that it's too dark, Futari Wa probably had fights that were worse TBH. The problem is that instead of stopping with White just being the one brainwashed they had Black get brainwashed too. And than they continued to have the fight be super physical to the point it very much looked like a real fight. Given that everything in the two series up to that point had Nagisa and Honoka working as a pair and fighting together and being equals as a team I can very much see why kids would cry at it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

I was kind of annoyed that they solved the language barrier thing between Hikaru and Lala in the first episode, it would have been fun to get a few episodes of them bonding across the language barrier, especially without the healslime guy translating. It'd make their friendship feel kind of distinct to see them trying to pick up a bit of each other's languages. Of course I was expecting it to get resolved with a universal translator at some point, but I feel like they threw away a lot of potential angles for the first few episodes there.

Besides that, it was pretty good. Moved at a steady clip, had some good jokes, the expressions were great and I like the designs.

Ive only seen one ep of a cure thing and it was ep 2 and I was in awe at the animation of Lala's transform sequence.

Thats my cure post about cure, thank you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lala's transformation was good and I can't wait for Elena's because fire precures always have the most insane animations

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lala saw Aoi's sock game and decided to go one step further!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

One long sock and one short sock is good.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Considering that this is by the same writer as Maho Girls, is this series also going to have the girl from another world and the main character moving in together and raising a child together?

Is Toie trying to corrupt young girls by convincing them to shelter illegal aliens in their house and having anchor babies with them?

It was bad enough last season when they tried to convince them it was acceptable to date robots.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 11, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

Considering that this is by the same writer as Maho Girls, is this series also going to have the girl from another world and the main character moving in together and raising a child together?

Is Toie trying to corrupt young girls by convincing them to shelter illegal aliens in their house and having anchor babies with them?

It was bad enough last season when they tried to convince them it was acceptable to date robots.

Homare also had a crush on a hamster and in Yes! 5 Nozomi was in love with a tanuki fairy, both of whom commonly took the form of an adult man. Precure have weird kinks sometimes.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 11, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Hikaru and Lala have their socks on the opposite leg as each other and it's adorable :3:

Vorpal Cat posted:

god I hope so

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, the four main Cures do seem to be pretty clearly set up as two 'opposites attract' couples. Elena and Madoka even have the Maho Girls sun/moon dichotomy going on.

Come to think of it, it's from outside the franchise so it may just be a coincidence, but didn't the Flip Flappers girls wear paired asymmetrical socks as well? The silhouettes of their costumes are also suspiciously similar.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 11, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Homare also had a crush on a hamster and in Yes! 5 Nozomi was in love with a dog fairy, both of whom commonly took the form of an adult man. Precure have weird kinks sometimes.

Coco was supposed to be a tanuki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Coco was supposed to be a tanuki.

Ah ok, point still stands though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Homare also had a crush on a hamster and in Yes! 5 Nozomi was in love with a tanuki fairy, both of whom commonly took the form of an adult man. Precure have weird kinks sometimes.

Don't forget Tsubomi having a huge crush on Coupe! Though, well, I guess she didn't know he was Coupe, and as soon as she found out she got weirded out.

Poor Tsubomi. Between Coupe and Itsuki her crushes just never turned out well.