Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If you really want to, that's certainly something you could take to small claims. Or if you know who the valet's insurer is, you can try submitting a 3rd party claim directly with them.

..but if it were me, I'd just submit a claim with my own insurer and let their subrogation department handle it.*

* I have no idea how such a claim might affect your rates in MA's byzantine insurance system. In places with more sane insurance markets, a small claim like that where I could pretty well prove it was someone else's fault would have a negligible effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I would consider a small claims action depending on how it works in MA.

Your insurer, however, will absolutely go after their insurer. They don't make money by not getting the money they are owed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

I would consider a small claims action depending on how it works in MA.

Your insurer, however, will absolutely go after their insurer. They don't make money by not getting the money they are owed.

It’s this. $2k is definitely an amount they will subro for, especially since it’s a company with actual assets and not JimBob Sawyer with $67 to his name.

Also, it’s a collision claim, not comprehensive as it isn’t vandalism. Is your deductible different?

However, driving history follows the driver, so it’s not on your record.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

it's a collision claim, not comprehensive

This depends on the state, and particularly on this, the circumstances.

I'm thinking in Texas, this may be covered under UM/UIM as a hit and run, or under comp as vandalism. UM/UIM in TX carries a mandatory $251 deductible (which you get back once they subrogate). UM/UIM also doesn't affect rates much here. UM/UIM here covers a lot more than just getting hit by someone without insurance.

It'd probably be best to attempt filing it under UM/UIM first; if it gets denied, then file it under comp, and if that fails, collision (assuming OP carries collision; for a 12 year old car, that may be up in the air). I'm not sure how MA laws work though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm meeting with my insurance agent today. Initially for an unrelated matter, but I'll ask him about it. MA is weird, that's all I know.

I've got comprehensive with a $500 deductible. It only costs $63/year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

This depends on the state, and particularly on this, the circumstances.

I'm thinking in Texas, this may be covered under UM/UIM as a hit and run, or under comp as vandalism. UM/UIM in TX carries a mandatory $251 deductible (which you get back once they subrogate). UM/UIM also doesn't affect rates much here. UM/UIM here covers a lot more than just getting hit by someone without insurance.

It'd probably be best to attempt filing it under UM/UIM first; if it gets denied, then file it under comp, and if that fails, collision (assuming OP carries collision; for a 12 year old car, that may be up in the air). I'm not sure how MA laws work though.

Vandalism can not be applied to the operator of a vehicle. Comprehensive has a list of things that make it a comp claim. Usually this is animal strikes, explosions, earthquakes, fire, vandalism, missiles/falling objects, riots, theft, hail/wind/flood.

UMPD also has a very specific definition of what the coverage entails. Usually this is damages sustained to the vehicle that the insured is entitled to recover from an operator of an uninsured motor vehicle. Your own car is specifically listed as not qualifying as an uninsured motor vehicle in the contract.

Collision is the catch all bucket.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Vandalism can not be applied to the operator of a vehicle. Comprehensive has a list of things that make it a comp claim. Usually this is animal strikes, explosions, earthquakes, fire, vandalism, missiles/falling objects, riots, theft, hail/wind/flood.

UMPD also has a very specific definition of what the coverage entails. Usually this is damages sustained to the vehicle that the insured is entitled to recover from an operator of an uninsured motor vehicle. Your own car is specifically listed as not qualifying as an uninsured motor vehicle in the contract.

Collision is the catch all bucket.

They're filing it under collision. I started the claim today. My agent said it shouldn't affect my policy, the vehicle was not in my possession, and was under the possession of a commercial company. They'll cover the claim, then subrogate the company's insurance. Whatever... I'll see what the adjuster has to say when I talk to them.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Only clip I've bothered uploading because, seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxMGiaxKGk

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I quite enjoyed how they hesitated until the worst possible moment to do their maliciously dumb thing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shere posted:

I quite enjoyed how they hesitated until the worst possible moment to do their maliciously dumb thing.

Eh, if they'd waited another half second longer that would have resulted in a collision.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I saw the aftermath of some folks that don't realize that school buses stop at railroad crossings, even in the snow. Sadly I was just a little late to see it and all my dash cam captured is my commentary on them being loving idiots.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Again, depends on the state. UMPD covers hit and runs here, whether or not you have a description of the other vehicle. It's what paid out when someone hit my car while parked and took off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

Again, depends on the state. UMPD covers hit and runs here, whether or not you have a description of the other vehicle. It's what paid out when someone hit my car while parked and took off.

Right, not disagreeing. If you can’t locate the other car then the assumption is they’re uninsured. I’m saying your own car cannot qualify as an uninsured vehicle, so it wouldn’t cover anything here.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Yay! Got my first awesome Dashcam video.

But whoops, it was when I got rear-ended in traffic:

gently caress!.... :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq9HRaHAUJY

(Does anyone know - should I contact my insurance company? My damage was minor and I don't intend to fix it, and the BMW in front of me was even less but she may want to fix it....)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Do you have the insurance info of the driver that hit you? File a claim with them - they'll give you a lowball damage estimate that you're free to take as a check and pocket.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

dexter6 posted:

Yay! Got my first awesome Dashcam video.

But whoops, it was when I got rear-ended in traffic:

gently caress!.... :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq9HRaHAUJY

(Does anyone know - should I contact my insurance company? My damage was minor and I don't intend to fix it, and the BMW in front of me was even less but she may want to fix it....)

I hope you filed a police report, and I hope the report states that you aren't at fault.
I would probably contact my insurance company and tell them I was in a not at-fault accident. Give them the video and have a papertrail that you didn't cause it. If the driver of the car in front of you decides to be a dick, calls their company and says "I got rearended by this person," you'll be a lot better off with some papertrail. Your insurance company will basically tell them to get stuffed instead of calling you and saying "hey so... what's going on."

Bottom line is, if any party decides they want to file a claim, there's a fairly good chance it'll come back around and your insurance company will find out about it. Full disclosure goes a long way toward your reputability.

EDIT: When I got sideswiped, I called my insurance company the second the cop was done writing the report. When I got home I emailed them the video. Several hours later I got a call back and they told me something like "so we got a call from the other person's insurance company stating you hit them, thanks for calling us asap and sending along a video it's going to make this claim a lot easier."

ie. I saved my rear end by disclosing what happened and doing it first.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

chrisgt posted:

I hope you filed a police report, and I hope the report states that you aren't at fault.
I would probably contact my insurance company and tell them I was in a not at-fault accident. Give them the video and have a papertrail that you didn't cause it. If the driver of the car in front of you decides to be a dick, calls their company and says "I got rearended by this person," you'll be a lot better off with some papertrail. Your insurance company will basically tell them to get stuffed instead of calling you and saying "hey so... what's going on."

Bottom line is, if any party decides they want to file a claim, there's a fairly good chance it'll come back around and your insurance company will find out about it. Full disclosure goes a long way toward your reputability.

EDIT: When I got sideswiped, I called my insurance company the second the cop was done writing the report. When I got home I emailed them the video. Several hours later I got a call back and they told me something like "so we got a call from the other person's insurance company stating you hit them, thanks for calling us asap and sending along a video it's going to make this claim a lot easier."

ie. I saved my rear end by disclosing what happened and doing it first.

The outcome would have been exactly the same if you didn't call. The main factor in determining fault was your video. If there was no video and the damage ambiguous, the fault would be assigned 50/50

Have those cameras rolling, my dudes

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Nitrox posted:

The outcome would have been exactly the same if you didn't call. The main factor in determining fault was your video. If there was no video and the damage ambiguous, the fault would be assigned 50/50

Have those cameras rolling, my dudes

Contacting my company first and giving them the details was nice because they didn't get a call out of the blue that "one of your clients hit my client and damaged their car." They already had the back story. And sure, in that case the order doesn't matter, however when you're dealing with an insurance company why not try to make everyone's life as easy as possible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else worry about anyone else watching your dashcam footage for whatever reason? Like I drive off a mountain and they go to review my last hours alive and it's just me berating everyone around me for being idiots and they just sit there with a :stonk: look on their face.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fknlo posted:

Anyone else worry about anyone else watching your dashcam footage for whatever reason? Like I drive off a mountain and they go to review my last hours alive and it's just me berating everyone around me for being idiots and they just sit there with a :stonk: look on their face.

more likely they'll be nodding along and agreeing with you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fknlo posted:

Yet another reason I leave the audio off.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Y'all don't realize how terrible we all sound when reviewing footage. I muted my bike crash video before sharing it, because I sounded like a raspy teenager. Also, audio was irrelevant. But mostly embarrassing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: the audio on my dashcam just convinced my insurer that A: I wasn't driving, and B: that the valet did indeed hit another car while backing up with the door open. Video alone wasn't convincing. I also have taught myself to call out plate numbers whenever someone does something dumb. I'd recommend recording it, you can always strip it out later.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah, audio is a good tool for things the camera isn't directly capturing in its field of view. Also stuff like tires screeching and impact sounds.

I have it disabled on mine because I take hands free calls over speakerphone while driving on the regular and I live in a two party consent state. I'm not a lawyer or even particularly well-read in the legality of such but I'm assuming it's a no-no and just being safe.

I only realized this would be a problem when my wife got stranded on the highway after a botched oil change. The dealership called her, which automatically went through the Bluetooth speakers in her car, and opened the conversation with "How far did you get!?". She told me this since it was truly that ridiculous. I went "oh, I bet the dashcam has the whole conversation!". It did, and I realized that was also probably an issue (and we also couldn't really do anything with it as a result).

I'm probably just being paranoid but the likelihood of audio helping is outweighed by the liability of it here, above and beyond being embarrassed by my impotent rage at bad drivers or being caught singing along to bad pop music.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah, I caught a crash on camera and I sent it to the dude who was turning left to try to help him out with his insurance. I don’t know what became of it but he probably got a 50/50 out of it because other dude decided to hit the gas before the intersection and you can hear him do it.

https://youtu.be/1ZbfeWbOeb8

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shere posted:

Yeah, audio is a good tool for things the camera isn't directly capturing in its field of view. Also stuff like tires screeching and impact sounds.

I have it disabled on mine because I take hands free calls over speakerphone while driving on the regular and I live in a two party consent state. I'm not a lawyer or even particularly well-read in the legality of such but I'm assuming it's a no-no and just being safe.

I only realized this would be a problem when my wife got stranded on the highway after a botched oil change. The dealership called her, which automatically went through the Bluetooth speakers in her car, and opened the conversation with "How far did you get!?". She told me this since it was truly that ridiculous. I went "oh, I bet the dashcam has the whole conversation!". It did, and I realized that was also probably an issue (and we also couldn't really do anything with it as a result).

I'm probably just being paranoid but the likelihood of audio helping is outweighed by the liability of it here, above and beyond being embarrassed by my impotent rage at bad drivers or being caught singing along to bad pop music.
You can record everyone and everything all day long, nothing illegal about that. But if recorded without notifying the other party, it may be rejected as evidence in court. That's it. Also, may be irrelevant in public.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The issue is that the interior of a car is not necessary public, as well as the fact that private things like phone calls can happen there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

The issue is that the interior of a car is not necessary public, as well as the fact that private things like phone calls can happen there.

Yeah. The other party can even sue over the recording.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My audio is me mostly yelling at people for not driving miatas.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. My instinct was just to tell my insurance company what happened because I’m just that kind of person, so thanks for the re-assurance.

The guy at fault had already called his insurance and they already knew about the whole thing so when I called they were like, yeah you’re good he’s at fault let us know if we need to fix anything.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

California in particular has some weird rules for dashcam audio.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

A few years back and after a snowstorm some dipshit decided not to scrape the ice off his car, so the massive ice sheet flew off his car and struck mine on the highway. Caught it all on my dashcam. When I reviewed the footage I heard my dumbass go, "Ice sheet? Awww poo poo. AaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHH" in some weird opera-like crescendo as it flew towards me.

Pretty sure that the guys at my insurance company had a good laugh over that.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 11, 2024

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

melon cat posted:

A few years back and after a snowstorm some dipshit decided not to scrape the ice off his car, so the massive ice sheet flew off his car and struck mine on the highway. Caught it all on my dashcam. When I reviewed the footage I heard my dumbass go, "Ice sheet? Awww poo poo. AaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHH" in some weird opera-like crescendo as it flew towards me.

Pretty sure that the guys at my insurance company had a good laugh over that.

If you still have this footage you have no choice but to post it now...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The big danger is hearing how awful my singalong voice is. On the other hand, sometimes I like hearing my reaction later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkDoaS6ykds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVjZ2Agm1q4

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Were you cursing with a child in the car?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Heaven forbid!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nitrox posted:

Are you Ned Flanders or something?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitrox posted:

ironically, the people who get the most upset about children possibly hearing ~~~~the f-word~~~~ are also the ones who drop terms like "towelhead" or "wetback" or worse in front of their kids all day long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

If you still have this footage you have no choice but to post it now...
Oh no way I deleted it for fear of cringing to death at its continued existence.