Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Beamed posted:

Yeah, was coming in today to note the same. Not sure what's going on, but CXO(?) has Gooncrawl fine still, not sure if it posts scores though.

X-Crawl is a separate server run by the folks who run CXC, so forks can stay up on that one while main tournament stuff can happen on the main server.

Edit: Gooncrawl update since I sniped...non-summoning Hell effects will no longer trigger if there is not an enemy in sight. This might lead to slightly more fiends than normal, but I'm sure that's more tolerable than getting tormented while resting and just having to rest some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Like I'm not crazy right? I feel like old versions used to have more serious fanfare than "we altered a portal vault and updated Nem (again)"

face up to the fact that the Lava Orc and Djinni version was the best one and let it all go

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah alright I'm officially done with Crawl forever.

So with the way traps work now I got blinked into the center of Tomb beyond my control. I got marked beyond my control. I got put in a net to top it all off. Tomb had been changed to emphasize careful movements and positioning. It wasn't really fun but I had started to enjoy it a little more. Now it just feels like an insane nightmare contrived by a sadist.

I try and talk about how unfair this all feels and the devs just ignore me. I call them out on this and they just list off minor things I could of done like reading a scroll of fog (I got blinked the moment I went down the stairs) or casting death's door (not sure how that would of kept me from being teleported) or not worshiping Okawaru (god forbid I not follow TSO every loving game). They don't care that it doesn't feel fun. They don't care that its way more difficult than it used to be. They just don't care what I say.

They don't care.

I've played this game for almost 10 years. I used to love it so much. I thought it was so cool that I could talk to people making it. I loved it to bits. I used to wanna make art for it. I wanted to create content for it. It was such an amazing game to me, I wanted to be a part of it.

But they don't care.

I give up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Play Gooncrawl, you stubborn squid.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Basically yea, it's not like these Crawl forks came from bored geeks with nothing better to do, people are authentically pissed about DCSS's direction and are making a big effort to make "Crawl, but not poo poo".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah alright I'm officially done with Crawl forever.

So with the way traps work now I got blinked into the center of Tomb beyond my control. I got marked beyond my control. I got put in a net to top it all off. Tomb had been changed to emphasize careful movements and positioning. It wasn't really fun but I had started to enjoy it a little more. Now it just feels like an insane nightmare contrived by a sadist.

I try and talk about how unfair this all feels and the devs just ignore me. I call them out on this and they just list off minor things I could of done like reading a scroll of fog (I got blinked the moment I went down the stairs) or casting death's door (not sure how that would of kept me from being teleported) or not worshiping Okawaru (god forbid I not follow TSO every loving game). They don't care that it doesn't feel fun. They don't care that its way more difficult than it used to be. They just don't care what I say.

They don't care.

I've played this game for almost 10 years. I used to love it so much. I thought it was so cool that I could talk to people making it. I loved it to bits. I used to wanna make art for it. I wanted to create content for it. It was such an amazing game to me, I wanted to be a part of it.

But they don't care.

I give up.

there's a dev right here who listens to every suggestion in this thread and then we, people who are somewhat reasonable, vote on whether they are good enough to be goals or not. also you can just make a thing because you think it's cool/interesting and then have it voted on for inclusion. literally everything you want is right here.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jazerus posted:

there's a dev right here who listens to every suggestion in this thread and then we, people who are somewhat reasonable, vote on whether they are good enough to be goals or not. also you can just make a thing because you think it's cool/interesting and then have it voted on for inclusion. literally everything you want is right here.

I don’t think this is the best response to give. Doubly so if you’ve actually been reading the DCSS thread on SA for a while. I’m not going to jump down your throat & I’ll ask others to stay civil, but there’s been a history of genuine and interesting ideas hashed out here that have been altered or rejected by the devs, even when they solve (as viewed by this thread) large and thorny problems.

e: vv lol I’m tired, I’ve just seen that post so many times from dev-adjacent people. Sorry!

Chakan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 11, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chakan posted:

I don’t think this is the best response to give. Doubly so if you’ve actually been reading the DCSS thread on SA for a while. I’m not going to jump down your throat & I’ll ask others to stay civil, but there’s been a history of genuine and interesting ideas hashed out here that have been altered or rejected by the devs, even when they solve (as viewed by this thread) large and thorny problems.

i'm talking about floodkiller

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's almost as if they didn't test it for the extreme worst case because 3 runes is standard and Tomb is an aberration that is part of extended, only for players looking for a challenge!

Tomb:3 is one of the smallest levels in the deepest sections of the dungeon. Under their new algorithm it has the highest chance of exploration trap springing.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The dispersal traps can be triggered by monsters multiple times. I barely cleared Tomb because of it, although that was also my fault for doing the "Bring the Orb to Tomb and get the rune" challenge. It's almost as asinine as the shadow creature traps from a few versions ago.

DCSS is a finished game at this point, there's no going back to the good ol' days. Play Gooncrawl if you want a fun and challenging game.

Play 0.23 only if you solemnly swear to only roll VS of Gozag so you can clear Pandemonium on one pip of resistances, the way Duvessa intended.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sage Grimm posted:

It's almost as if they didn't test it for the extreme worst case because 3 runes is standard and Tomb is an aberration that is part of extended, only for players looking for a challenge!

Tomb:3 is one of the smallest levels in the deepest sections of the dungeon. Under their new algorithm it has the highest chance of exploration trap springing.

When I said it didn't feel fair, Gammafunk told me that 170 or something people had gotten the golden rune, so it was clearly fine. Also there's no problem with Tomb being harder, because its extended!

I'm just so defeated. I thought finally coming back for my 100th win would be a grand and meaningful venture but it ended in bitter tears. And yeah, "just play gooncrawl", well call it stupid but I care about my online stat page. It gave me goals to work towards. I liked tournaments and the challenges they gave to me. There are incentives to play regular Crawl over Goon Crawl that kept me going back to it, but at this point its not worth it anymore.

I might try doing small things for Gooncrawl just for fun. I know this sounds insanely stupid but it was a little dream of mine to one day make content for this game. No idea where I would even start with that though, I know fuckall about coding.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

When I said it didn't feel fair, Gammafunk told me that 170 or something people had gotten the golden rune, so it was clearly fine. Also there's no problem with Tomb being harder, because its extended!

I'm just so defeated. I thought finally coming back for my 100th win would be a grand and meaningful venture but it ended in bitter tears. And yeah, "just play gooncrawl", well call it stupid but I care about my online stat page. It gave me goals to work towards. I liked tournaments and the challenges they gave to me. There are incentives to play regular Crawl over Goon Crawl that kept me going back to it, but at this point its not worth it anymore.

I might try doing small things for Gooncrawl just for fun. I know this sounds insanely stupid but it was a little dream of mine to one day make content for this game. No idea where I would even start with that though, I know fuckall about coding.

Designing vaults just takes a text editor.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean, keep playing trunk if you're desperate for sweet online stats, but play gooncrawl if you want to actually have fun

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

or casting death's door (not sure how that would of kept me from being teleported)

I'm still of the position that I think it's really funny that the devs insist that you absolutely have to invest in Necromancy to have a shot at extended

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

What is the effort involved in getting Gooncrawl to have stats like trunk?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I stopped paying attention to the main dev stuff awhile ago, but decided to check in out of curiosity, can we talk about the klowns? Another set of commits later apparently made the spider basket traps dump klowns on you in zot and boosted their odds of using the pie from 8 to 12%.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Einwand posted:

I stopped paying attention to the main dev stuff awhile ago, but decided to check in out of curiosity, can we talk about the klowns? Another set of commits later apparently made the spider basket traps dump klowns on you in zot and boosted their odds of using the pie from 8 to 12%.

I'm fine with that. Its nasty but Klowns being a more credible threat is fine, since they're not a super common enemy anyways. More importantly though its an interesting kind of threat that you can respond to. Stuff like that is okay.

But Zot in general got a whole lot nastier with the way traps work now. You're far more likely to end up getting randomly teleported on Zot:5 now.

So the traps stuff sucks but Gooncrawl should totally swipe the more interesting stuff 0.23 did. Gauntlets are much better than labyrinths (though not really a thematic replacement for them) and a lot of the unrand changes are really cool. Haven't tried new Nem; I honestly don't have the patience to play with yet another rework of that god.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
does it involve killing demons to supply nemelex w paint

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If you would like to look into something specifically related to online stats, Cerepol was working on a Gooncrawl version at one point. Not sure what progress has been made or what type of work still needs to be done on it; I haven't researched it yet either to find out.

If you want to do something simple, there are always vaults! As long as the vault doesn't have horseshit or a big reward for no challenge, I merge them without votes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FR: Nemelex is just Jet Set Radio mode

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Serephina posted:

Basically yea, it's not like these Crawl forks came from bored geeks with nothing better to do, people are authentically pissed about DCSS's direction and are making a big effort to make "Crawl, but not poo poo".
This, man. Gooncrawl is Good and Fun and even starting to be present on servers if you want to play on the go or during coffee breaks or whatever. Don't let the long standing awfulness of the Crawl devs ruin your fun. We make our own here.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

If you would like to look into something specifically related to online stats, Cerepol was working on a Gooncrawl version at one point. Not sure what progress has been made or what type of work still needs to be done on it; I haven't researched it yet either to find out.

If you want to do something simple, there are always vaults! As long as the vault doesn't have horseshit or a big reward for no challenge, I merge them without votes.

Ha, no way I could ever figure out coding stuff. Making some Vaults I could probably manage though.

I gotta assume Wu jian has relatively few vaults in the game compared to the other gods. Anyone got ideas for some of those?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

redneck nazgul posted:

If you have space, I'll join in and give you a bunch of VS 15-runers.

Sure. Use ZeeToo as team captain and let me know your name.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Internet Kraken posted:

I gotta assume Wu jian has relatively few vaults in the game compared to the other gods. Anyone got ideas for some of those?

Well, how many kung-fu movies have you watched?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Make the 18 Bronzemen trial into an entire level-spanning vault in the depths imo

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The new trap system is awful. A younger version of me would write up a several paragraph explaination of that position in hopes of influencing some kind of change, but I generally don't put as much effort into things that get immediately discarded in the trash.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

Sure. Use ZeeToo as team captain and let me know your name.

In as rednecknazgul.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

Internet Kraken posted:

Ha, no way I could ever figure out coding stuff.

i do not know how to code, i just have a knack for faking it

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.

Internet Kraken posted:

Ha, no way I could ever figure out coding stuff. Making some Vaults I could probably manage though.

Here's the link to the online vault editor, just so that you're not having to sit and stare at a text editor to make vaults, if you decide to make some.

https://crawlerofthewest.github.io/vault/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can you link 36 chambers into a single vault?

You see Th'Rizza, a Promethean Monk of the Wu-Tian Clan

Bogart fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 12, 2019

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

Metoron posted:

Here's the link to the online vault editor, just so that you're not having to sit and stare at a text editor to make vaults, if you decide to make some.

https://crawlerofthewest.github.io/vault/

on the one hand this is super neat on the other hand its kinda magical putting together a vault in notepad lmao

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

FR: traps and doors skill that reduces the chance of a random trap occurring by 100% at skill level 1

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no control over my life so I rolled a vinestalker with the sole intent of clearing new Tomb. Maybe I just had bad luck!

Nah its consistently awful. I wanna know how my gameplay experience is being enriched by floating skull repeatedly ping ponging me across the room while monsters trigger zot traps over and over. It feels so stupid. I almost died on Tomb 2 because I could not loving stand on the stairs. Everytime I blinked to it I got blinked away by a dispersal trap. Its horrendous.

And yet Tomb 3 ended up being relatively safe entirely because no dispersal traps were in the treasure chambers. How difficult Tomb ends up now comes entirely down to trap RNG. What fun!

But hey, at least I got the high score on the CAO server.

I've yet to see anyone (other than the devs) actually say they enjoy this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm sorry, IK, we can't keep watching you do this to yourself. Just look out at the water and tell me about the rabbits.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

But Zot in general got a whole lot nastier with the way traps work now. You're far more likely to end up getting randomly teleported on Zot:5 now.

Oh hey, it me.

Take the stairs down to Zot 5:

quote:

_There is a stone staircase leading down here.
You fly downwards. You stumble into a teleport trap!
You are suddenly yanked towards some nearby monsters!

loving what. Now I'm going to loving die.

Haven't really noticed the trap changes much before this. loving sweet.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 12, 2019

gishou
May 9, 2017
Does anyone know if - tele items work on dispersal traps?

I used to try to keep at least one in case the zot5 traps were both permanent tele traps but I can not remember if they work for dispersal.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

gishou posted:

I used to try to keep at least one in case the zot5 traps were both permanent tele traps but I can not remember if they work for dispersal.

In theory, they should prevent you from being blinked.

In practice, they're still going to blink everything around you and disrupt your targeting priorities.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Soooo...the HOM is going to have a -TELE equipment piece that is specifically put on whenever they take unknown stairs down or fighting within LOS of a dispersal trap. Tell me again how this is reducing tedium?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

gishou posted:

You don`t blink but everyone else does. With formicids they are very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Let rocks dispell all traps if you throw them. And rename them bolts. Get out of here Stalker