Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

story I've heard is that some factory worker in China programs one of the dolls to have zero limitations and so poo poo goes awry

oh poo poo, the ending of the movie has already leaked online! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8dcmLscf3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

clown shoes posted:

Orion Pictures still exists?

Short version

After bankruptcy Orion was sold to MGM in '97 who basically kept it in cold storage for like 2 decades, along with a catelogue of like 2000 films, but alive enough to avoid a bunch of distribution deals with Warner Bros. They revived Orion television in 2013 and Orion Pictures in 2017 with the hiring of John Hegeman from Blumhouse, who had originally worked at Orion in the 80s. So the horror revival angle is probably going to be a big part of Orion going forward. Orion Classics was revived last year, too, and will rerelease 8-10 titles a year.

I originally read about a lot of this because of news of The Cotton Club Encore screening at Telluride in 2017. Coppola restored 25 minutes to the film which originally had a tricky production history under Orion and bombed at the box office, and it was apparently one of the first ventures under the new Orion Pictures.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Belko Experiment, which I really enjoyed, was my first exposure to Orion coming back to life and that came out in early 2017. I think they're involved in mostly indies now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why do they always have to remake the classics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIkHLO93lCA

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cvnvcnv posted:

The voodoo/human element really was a big helping of meat in the original, that a lonesome and imaginative boy befriending a toy is far more sinister under the surface where we see a helpless child become manipulated and tortured by a serial killer.

I'm not saying this new movie is trying to be the original wrt themes and events, etc., but that aspect lent heavily into stopping Chucky, both the horror and the urgency, as well as suspending disbelief as it's well established that exceedingly few mortal restrictions still apply to Charles Lee Ray.

Idk. If the different origin pans out to be correct, they can still manage something good but it seems nuts to-

I have not seen the original in like 20 years, but wasn't the voodoo stuff meant to be ambiguous and the implication was that it was actually the kid doing all the murders.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What? No. The voodoo stuff is explicitly part of the plot and is the urgency behind Chucky’s motivation to jump possessions from the doll to the kid (the longer he is on the doll the more “alive” the doll becomes and starts bleeding and hurting)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

clown shoes posted:

Voodoo magic was the dumbest part of the original.

I agree. It ruled.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Hakkesshu posted:

I have not seen the original in like 20 years, but wasn't the voodoo stuff meant to be ambiguous and the implication was that it was actually the kid doing all the murders.

What movie were you watching?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They establish that the voodoo is real in the very first scene, but there is a subplot of Chucky trying to frame Andy for the murders.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The voodoo stuff at the beginning is just the chant and a lightening strike. It's not like you see Charles's soul transport itself into the doll. The first act or so of the film is definitely told in a way that's intended to make you question if it's Andy or Chucky doing the murders. You could imagine another film where the beginning is a red herring.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd definitely rather just a malfunctioning AI toy or whatever than them trying to redo Brad Dourif's thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Chucky uses a functional voodoo doll to kill one of his old cohorts.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Who is Greta?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAEoJkL_8zU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The first few seconds do a good job of ruining the mid-trailer swerve

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Isabelle Huppert was amazing in Elle, definitely watching this

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hHECMVOq7g

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hahahahahaha

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:cripes:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

God drat, it doesn't just look bad, it looks cheap.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd definitely rather just a malfunctioning AI toy or whatever than them trying to redo Brad Dourif's thing.

Looks like there might be multiple Chuckies, theres loads of boxes strewn about in what looks like a storage room, and cant see just 1 of them terrify a mall/store full of people that you see later on.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 11, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://twitter.com/alexisthenedd/status/1075401134007861249

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Gettin jiggy wit it
Na na na na na na na nana
Na na na na nana
Gettin jiggy wit it
Na na na na nana

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/misterpatches/status/1094785703832141824

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1094785798342434818

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

Gettin genie wit it
Na na na na nana
Gettin genie wit it
Na na na na nana

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Will Smith Genie appears to be suffering Charlie Kirk Syndrome.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

clown shoes posted:

God drat, it doesn't just look bad, it looks cheap.

It looks like it should be a high-profile TV special, not a film that I'm guessing Disney spent more money than all of us combined would ever see in our lifetimes.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Vagabundo posted:

It looks like it should be a high-profile TV special, not a film that I'm guessing Disney spent more money than all of us combined would ever see in our lifetimes.

Makes me think of the Alice in Wonderland with Martin Short, Gene Wilder, and Whoopi.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Willsmithface looks like that weird tech they used in LA Noire.

Except worse.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Did they digitally... widen Will Smith?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Four months ago:

Intern: Hey the trailer for Alita: Battle Angel came out and Alita looks weird and not very human and everyone really loves it a lot ha ha
Director: Really? They love it? I thought it was weird looking, but you say the audience love it??
Intern: Uhhhhhhh you see, when I said they love it I was being sarcas~
Director: Get me the digital effects team on the line!!
Intern: No but I ...
Director: Throw out all those photorealistic effects we spent the last 12 months on! I want crappy weird effects on my desk first thing tomorrow!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

It's because of rights issues that theyr even able to make a reboot. They had to change the story because of that

Oh Christ, it's The Haunting 2019 isn't it?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

McSpanky posted:

Possibly.. That said, he was pretty freakin' wide in Ali. When he bulks up it all seems to go to his shoulders and chest.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah he looks like he stole Willy Wonka’s blueberry pie bubble gum and is in the process of turning into a blueberry like Violet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm surprised how solid Genie looks. Thought they would have made him more ethereal, ghost-like.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Every shot in the Aladdin trailer is of a person standing dead in the middle of the screen looking slightly off-center, Ritchie seems really uncomfortable with the Disney remake house style

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
ahahahah I forgot it's a Guy Ritchie movie

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

nobody want that gussy

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I mean, I kinda get why they went with that genie design, but jfc this movie looks like some Asylum level poo poo :stonk:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
"You ain't never had a friend like me"

"Can I still not tho"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, this is exactly right. Unbelievable.