Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fart City posted:

What do you think of as a “strength” of the MCU? I’m not being facetious or picking a fight, just genuinely curious. Like they make money, but I can’t really think of anything they’re particularly definitive at.

Advertising driving narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The marvel movies are exceptional at taking interesting actors and paying them a lot to do very little

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

MCU is very easy to follow and accessible. The DC universe I am not so sure. I recently introduced someone to Man of Steel, it was their first time seeing the a film, and they stopped after Krypton blew up because nothing about that whole opening sequence made sense to them. They felt the Codex, why the planet was blowing up in the first place, and why no one tried to leave, made no sense and setup what was ultimately a pointless movie with no point.

I think I found the problem

lol just kidding, I can see that point for some audiences and tbf from a marketing perspective it is a "strength" of the MCU that you can basically dive in anywhere. They want people to come to the big crossovers and making things unchallenging is honestly a feature for them, it's why they're pulling in billions

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

MCU is very easy to follow and accessible. The DC universe I am not so sure. I recently introduced someone to Man of Steel, it was their first time seeing the film, and they stopped after Krypton blew up because nothing about that whole opening sequence made sense to them. They felt the Codex, why the planet was blowing up in the first place, and why no one tried to leave, made no sense and setup what was ultimately a pointless movie with no point.

Doesn’t Jor-El literally go to the council on krypton and tell them why the planet is blowing up lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

Doesn’t Jor-El literally go to the council on krypton and tell them why the planet is blowing up lol

He does but it's poorly explained why. Like, the core has been completely mined or something? I can agree that it doesn't make sense why that would cause the planet to go ka-boom. And then everyone decides to just stay on the planet and accept their fate even though leaving is a 100% doable thing and this civilization has been doing it for a super long time now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I said come in! posted:

He does but it's poorly explained why. Like, the core has been completely mined or something? I can agree that it doesn't make sense why that would cause the planet to go ka-boom.

They hollowed it out and it imploded.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Visually the entire place looks orange is blowing the hell up. That's good enough reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Why doesn't Earth do anything about climate change, is what I would have responded.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I said come in! posted:

He does but it's poorly explained why. Like, the core has been completely mined or something? I can agree that it doesn't make sense why that would cause the planet to go ka-boom. And then everyone decides to just stay on the planet and accept their fate even though leaving is a 100% doable thing and this civilization has been doing it for a super long time now.

They don't have space ships. Jor-El is a super smart dude, so he was able to cross a couple wires in their prison transport system and change it into a space transport. Making a wormhole drive out of a diminsonal doorway was cutting edge tech.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Science has, without reasonable doubt, proved that climate change is happening at an unnatural rate and this is due to human interaction with the environment. But the powers that be, the people in charge, think it's a hoax and actively dismiss it. I don't think it's too much of a stretch that people in comfortable positions of power will dismiss concerns of planetary catastrophe. Zod outright spells why he took military action against the people in charge too - they were complacent and bad.

It's build into their costuming too - they wear wire frame headdresses and mantle pieces. Kinda like a bird cage.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Why would you hollow out a planet? Not like they're building space colony ships

Jimbot posted:

Science has, without reasonable doubt, proved that climate change is happening at an unnatural rate and this is due to human interaction with the environment. But the powers that be, the people in charge, think it's a hoax and actively dismiss it. I don't think it's too much of a stretch that people in comfortable positions of power will dismiss concerns of planetary catastrophe. Zod outright spells why he took military action against the people in charge too - they were complacent and bad.

It's build into their costuming too - they wear wire frame headdresses and mantle pieces. Kinda like a bird cage.

Very few people believe climate change is a hoax

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bedshaped posted:

...in Ireland. We're talking about the United States here.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

quite possibly but if that were the case a lot more than 'very few' pretend that they believe it's a hoax because they're more interested in keeping on all the same economic and political decisions furthering said climate change

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
A vast number of people might disagree with how bad it's going to be or how long we have before it's too late but believing it's an outright hoax? I haven't seen anything that says there's widespread support for that.

The wealthy republican leaders who pushes that narrative do so because A. they have financial ties to carbon industry and B. even though they say it won't affect people, they know full well that even if it does, it won't affect them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

A vast number of people might disagree with how bad it's going to be or how long we have before it's too late but believing it's an outright hoax? I haven't seen anything that says there's widespread support for that.

The wealthy republican leaders who pushes that narrative do so because A. they have financial ties to carbon industry and B. even though they say it won't affect people, they know full well that even if it does, it won't affect them.

I would think it would be very arrogant of them to believe it won't affect them. I mean isn't this whole thing suppose to pretty much cause economic collapse at some point? I guess it doesn't matter if it's not for another 100 years or something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Right, so you still have a ton of people who know that the way we treat earth is bad but wont do anything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bedshaped posted:

If you aren't getting materials from space, you're getting them from your planet. Plus there are a lot of nice metals down in a planet's core that are good for energy creation, in addition to getting that sweet, sweet geothermal energy.

It's left over from the comics origin, but is highly useful for the modern metaphore of Krypton. Killing themselves by digging up energy even though scientists are yelling at them that they're causing a chain reaction of bad poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

A very large of a percentage believe its a hoax in the U.S. because they're super Christian and don't think God would let anything happen to the planet. Then another large percentage because of Al Gore or huge partisanism (that half just says "its natural and will go back to normal").

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I said come in! posted:

MCU is very easy to follow and accessible. The DC universe I am not so sure. I recently introduced someone to Man of Steel, it was their first time seeing the film, and they stopped after Krypton blew up because nothing about that whole opening sequence made sense to them. They felt the Codex, why the planet was blowing up in the first place, and why no one tried to leave, made no sense and setup what was ultimately a pointless movie with no point.

Tell them they can watch the hit TV show Krypton to get all caught up.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah watching that clip again from MoS, it's a pretty good delivery of 'we knew what we were doing was bad but if we didn't the status quo might be affected'.

Which is very analogous to todays "Let's institute incremental small scale taxations and incentives" (or nothing if you live in certain countries) instead of accepting having to completely upend the fabric of society to achieve the minimum levels needed for safety and peace until the end of the century.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 11, 2019

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Grendels Dad posted:

Right, so you still have a ton of people who know that the way we treat earth is bad but wont do anything.

Like, one of the major ideological manifestations today is to moralise individuals along the lines of asking if you recycled, what did you do to reduce your carbon footprint etc - while big structural changes aren’t being considered seriously by those in power. Zizek put it that rationally people are aware of it, they just don't believe it. For example there's a news report today that insects are facing extinctions due to agricultural practices and climate change, which ended on the beat that we should endeavour to make gardens more insect friendly.

The question of why action isn't being taken on these issues relating to climate change is one that’s deeply ideological working in tandem with structural systemic flaws. Free-market capitalism cannot provide a solution to climate change, but you can feel good as a consumer by buying an electric car while discussions of how the electricity generated to power it and by whom are deemed too political - which just happens to be one of the bigger issues people who don't like MoS have with it.

Also kinda wonder if that guys friend would have found issue with Elysium because poor people weren’t being treated by medical technology that could easily do so.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

brawleh posted:

Also kinda wonder if that guys friend would have found issue with Elysium because poor people weren’t being treated by medical technology that could easily do so.

They actually liked Elysium a lot and understood the point of the movie. I think Krypton blowing up was a bit too out there for them to grasp. It's an extreme example that won't happen to the earth, but our own problems will still likely kill billions of people. It's not that they don't believe in climate change or over consumption of resources, it's that I think the way it is presented in Man of Steel can be very difficult to grasp for some viewers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1095100011312902144?s=19

:allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The moron king Trump regularly tweets out that climate change is a hoax and you're trying to tell me very few people believe in it? :lol:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

By the way, found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muTyXvOaSn0

In other news, new Umbrella Academy trailer. Both Gerard Way and Mary J Blige (who plays time-travelling hitwoman Cha-Cha) will be contributing to the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC6zrIAR8qo

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

They get votes from people who believe them and win elections

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

I said come in! posted:

They actually liked Elysium a lot and understood the point of the movie. I think Krypton blowing up was a bit too out there for them to grasp. It's an extreme example that won't happen to the earth, but our own problems will still likely kill billions of people. It's not that they don't believe in climate change or over consumption of resources, it's that I think the way it is presented in Man of Steel can be very difficult to grasp for some viewers.

It just seemed like a similar sort of why or moment of disbelief is all, I'd say encourage them to at least watch the movie to completion and then have a talk about it - if nothing else people find plenty to say about it even if they don't like it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Unfortunately not a new Shazam trailer, but there are some new scenes. Levi and the kid are both pretty great, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2g8zRwX4Q

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1095027841526190080?s=19

Arnold is a treasure.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel is planning 4 adult-oriented animated series for Hulu: Howard The Duck, Hit-Monkey, MODOK, and Tigra & Dazzler. They then will join forces in The Offenders.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvel-hulu-set-four-show-animated-slate-howard-duck-modok-hit-money-tigra-dazzler-1185246

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hulu ended up with some more Marvel stuff considering Disney is now I think the majority owner of Hulu now?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hulu ended up with some more Marvel stuff considering Disney is now I think the majority owner of Hulu now?

They putting all the mature stuff on Hulu probably since they don't want them on Disney+.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

brawleh posted:

A real watershed moment was how Elysium is as heavy-handed as it is (I don't consider that a flaw in a movie, I liked this one a lot myself), yet a lot of people couldn't buy into the premise that humanity would create incredible diagnostic life saving technology and then make it unavailable to poor people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

The MSJ posted:

They putting all the mature stuff on Hulu probably since they don't want them on Disney+.

That would be my guess plus all the gay stuff too. Runaways has queer characters as central to the story so I'd be surprised if that ever aired on Disney+.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 12, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gyges posted:

They don't have space ships. Jor-El is a super smart dude, so he was able to cross a couple wires in their prison transport system and change it into a space transport. Making a wormhole drive out of a diminsonal doorway was cutting edge tech.

Clark gets his super suit from a Kryptonian spaceship, and Zod arrives on Earth with a terraforming ship looted from Krypton's now dead colonial space empire.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NTRabbit posted:

Clark gets his super suit from a Kryptonian spaceship, and Zod arrives on Earth with a terraforming ship looted from Krypton's now dead colonial space empire.

They had space travel, and abandoned and suppressed it. The movie explains this.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Right, the kryptonians where a race that had traveled into space, then interest in that waned, they abandoned their space exploration, and instead stripmined their planet. This is the point I'd post that ever expanding HMMMMM emoji if I had it.

In regards to I said come in's friends, I think that's kind of emblematic of a larger phenomenon. in that significant portion of viewers simply don't interact with a movie beyond a surface reading. Themes and ideas that aren't heavy handed aren't registered, because these viewers aren't looking for them. This is not me saying these viewers are stupid or intellectually lazy or whatever, but that we as an audience have been conditioned not to, and I say we because that's exactly how I was watching movies up until fairly recently. It's the difference between seeing Moby Dick as the embodiment of natures indifference to man or as a dumb whale, and Krypton as an exploding planet or earths future. That's imo of course.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the problem is people see reading into things and looking for subtext as either pointless pedantry or counterproductive to actually enjoying a movie, which as you implied it basically is for most blockbusters. Thing is, that leaves a void where people want to talk about and engage with stories, but commercial pap doesn't leave anything to their imaginations so they either have to put a lot of words into a surface level reading or project their own pet issues and complaints onto it, see the dumpster fire of YouTube 'criticism' as a result. They're so used to turning off their brains they don't know how to turn them back on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'd say the problem with Superman specifically is that you already had a movie where his planet blew up and you didn't have to think about what that meant. His origin in general is part of the public pop consciousness, might be that people get offended if someone suddenly asks them to turn on their brain when dealing with material they thought they could just sit through to finally get to the point where Superman punches something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

It does however have the most Chrises of any current franchise.

Can't believe they beat DC to Infinite Chrises