Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Beto taking out Cornyn would be a much bigger scalp than Cruz imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Marxalot posted:

That campaign did wonders for down ballot races and is probably what tipped the election from "ok maybe some random dems will win in a few districts somewhere" to "oh god did every major city just switch from majority red to entirely blue?". He has a far better chance of helping to pull that off again here (and maybe winning, who knows) than he does of becoming the next president.

This is definitely true, and would be great. It would be a lot to ask though, since it would be Beto essentially signing up to end his political career. Its okay to lose once. It kinnndaaa okay to lose twice, as long as you lose by less the second time than the first. Taking on Cornyn would be a larger loss than Cruz.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1095112688580132864

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
"No, I will not be running for president as I feel I can do far more good for the people of Texas vs self-immolating like a phoenix on the national political stage"

just say it man

you know it's true

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I take it all back, apparently trump is getting heckled on live TV and the people doing it are staggering themselves out to just make one long rear end disruption and keep loving him up.

El Paso gets a pass :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 12, 2019

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/jeremyswallace/status/1095115478475984896?s=21

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:staredog: that’s terrifying.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Marxalot posted:

I take it all back, apparently trump is getting heckled on live TV and the people doing it are staggering themselves out to just make one long rear end disruption and keep loving him up.

El Paso gets a pass :v:

How generous of you

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

all i can see

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1095170666612035587

Here's ol Dan saying a bunch of stuff he knows to be untrue.

Also AP is reporting that all 55 miles of "bollard barrier" in the border sec. deal is in the RGV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlexGonzTXCA/status/1095375438161932288

Who wants to go up to the capitol with me to stuff this weiner in a locker

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
School funding is impossible, but a WALL, that's what the RDF is for

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

*clicks article, and as page loads thinks "I bet one of them is loving Briscoe Cain"*

And of course it is. And no I didn't cheat because I don't have the images load from the tweets.

Yes, Briscoe, surely Deer Park needs a loving border wall 500 miles away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/toddgillman/status/1095373330062938117

lol. El Paso County officials estimated 7-10k but it coulda been a million and he'd still have said no one showed up.

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1095391463775588353

oof

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 12, 2019

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Noted Texas statesmen Briscoe Cain and Kyle Biedermann. Biedermann has a Texas capitol back drop in his office for press conferences and web casts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1095423453782597636

Friends, I'm fer it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Wait, is there a law saying they can't do that right now?

I've been to tons of places that allow that though I suppose most of them were not really restaurants but just bars (though I can think of at least one restaurant that did). Maybe they were running afoul of the law!

And heck yeah I'm down, all good boys and girls deserve the right to be with their friends.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m not a fan of that if only because a) people are trying to eat and you’re bringing a strange dog into the mix and b) I don’t love being around big dogs and so do lots of other people.

I don’t feel like it’s the worst thing ever or MUST be opposed but I general I think that only service animals should be in spaces like restaurants.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No kids or mutts tia

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If a restaurant wants to be the dog restaurant they should be allowed to be the dog restaurant.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Comrayn posted:

If a restaurant wants to be the dog restaurant they should be allowed to be the dog restaurant.

I agree but there’s a difference between “you can let dogs in” and “you all have to let dogs in.”

Kids are different, you can often leave dogs and cats unsupervised at home when you can’t leave children.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree but there’s a difference between “you can let dogs in” and “you all have to let dogs in.”

Kids are different, you can often leave dogs and cats unsupervised at home when you can’t leave children.

The bill is just "you can let dogs in", though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here look:
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/BillNumber.aspx
Look up any bill

SB 476

No need to guess at what a bill does. "May" means permissive, it's up to the discretion of the restaurant owner. Shall and may, key words to look for in any bill.

Also if you want to be engaged politically you have to teach yourself how to read legislation. This one is pretty straight forward. I dunno how it is at the city level or in other states, but underlined words are additions to the code, non-underlined words are already there, and struck-out words are, well, guess.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 12, 2019

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The only thing that can stop a man with a bad dog at a restaurant is a man with a good dog at a restaurant.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fray posted:

The bill is just "you can let dogs in", though.

That’s fine then.

Lol if you think I or any other normal person has time to actually read the bills these fuckers propose, besides it’s from a Republican, I assumed the worst.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s fine then.

Lol if you think I or any other normal person has time to actually read the bills these fuckers propose, besides it’s from a Republican, I assumed the worst.

it's really hard to read the tweet mentioning the bill, yeah

"SB 476 by Sen Kelly Hancock would let restaurants admit customers with a well-behaved dog to a patio or outdoor seating area."

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s fine then.

Yeah, I’m sure you looked dumb because of your awesome high speed lifestyle and not just cause you didn’t bother to finish reading a tweet while browsing something awful.

loving :jerkbag:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s fine then.

This ain’t it chief

You got time to attend DSA meetings of 20 people you got time to stay informed about legislation

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 13, 2019

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s fine then.

Honestly, it's not that bad. Most bills are one or two-pagers at most. It gets really weird/hairy when they're replacing large blocks and adding stuff in the middle and ... it can be daunting, but a cursory look at things is pretty quick (I just searched "SB 476" on the state gov site and I assume zoux did too, e: oh yeah the link is right in the post).

It's definitely worth it when it seems like it could be nefarious stuff or it has a stupid name that doesn't say what the bill does. Unfortunately sometimes they do make things intentionally obtuse in the bill so that casual inspection doesn't reveal how odious it is.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Lightning Knight posted:

Go home Yankee. We like our doggos round here. For future stuff like this, the Texas leg makes it super easy to access bills online. If you know the bill number or just the sponsor, you can find it very easily. Additionally, state issues are fundamentally important to the work that DSA groups are doing around the state. The big push from the DSA type groups over the last few years has been to get cities to pass mandatory sick leave ordinances through council action or ballot initiatives (and they were successful at it!). However, the state leg is working to undo all of that and ban such ordinances at the state level. https://capitol.texas.gov/Home.aspx

In other actual news.

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1095468305761165312

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/1095471589418766336

Hegar: sure, why not

Davis: please no

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goddamn it Wendy

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Wendy Davis is noted as an extremely successful (at fundraising) statewide candidate

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
more like Wendy who

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Or you can ask in this thread which is full of people who actually do keep an eye on these things. Most Bill's are under 5 pages. And it's legal style double spaced so it's a pretty short read. I will say, the captions for bills are easily confusing or deceiving.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lege council also develops bill analyses for every bill referred to committee. They take a couple of days to show up but they are more of a plain language summary of the bill text

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Lege council also develops bill analyses for every bill referred to committee. They take a couple of days to show up but they are more of a plain language summary of the bill text

Doesn't TLC also write the actual bills? Like Rep. Dumbshit from Exurbia, TX calls them up and says "I want a bill that bans gay orgies in public schools" and they find the relevant part of the law where that would be put in and write a bill that references appropriate sections etc.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Is it every bill? I thought it was bills that get out of committee and back onto the floor. But I'm new to this process. Seriously. The people who actually draft the bills for legislative teams are the only people in the Capitol that do work outside the custodians and handymen.

E: yeah badger that's exactly how it works.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder if you could get the actual text of the request they received. Would those be public records?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lmao wendy davis