Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Great to see an update, I missed the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Goddamn, you're a heck of a son in law.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Jesus Christ I get annoyed when i visit family and have to play computer janitor. This is some next level poo poo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That said, I know that the rest of my family would help me in the same way, so I don't mind helping them out when needed. It's just not usually during the holidays.
Also, note that kastein *volunteered* for poop duty. What a noble son-in-law!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm too cheap to let family spend stupid money on stuff with no guarantee it'll be done right.

We hung a sheet of drywall in the kitchen last night, hoping to do another few and part of the living room tonight.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nah, I get it. I'm the same way. Except for my cousin and his car. I'm not working on it any more if he won't maintain it. loving fix your broken poo poo instead of buying Lego and comics. Holy poo poo, dude, you're 49 years old now. Learn some priorities!
Love him like a brother (since we're right at one month apart in age and spent our childhoods together) but that poo poo ticks me off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I don't work on family cars unless it's my brother's ranger. My dad has already proven that he's got the buying execrable shitheaps part down, and the abusing them with no mercy until they fail even if it turns a 100 dollar fix into a 2000 dollar fix part down, but not the actually fixing it himself or helping me fix it part. He basically executed two cars in a row and I gave up. Tried to advise on what's least painful and most reliable to replace it and he bought another horrible to fix unreliable turd that wasn't on my list... I give up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Started hanging drywall in the living room. No pics because it looks like drywall.

schmug
May 20, 2007

kastein posted:

Started hanging drywall in the living room. No pics because it looks like drywall.

oh come on. I'm sure you've added your own way to it. I vote pics.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

schmug posted:

oh come on. I'm sure you've added your own way to it. I vote pics.

Structural adhesive, spax screws every 3 inches.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dagen H posted:

1/8" steel bar used for drywall tape.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dagen H posted:

Nailer on full auto

schmug
May 20, 2007

Actual load bearing drywall

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

schmug posted:

Actual load bearing drywall

Probably stronger than what was there before

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Actually I took someone's suggestion from this thread and only put screws every foot instead of every 4 to 6 inches.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
“I don’t trust drywall anchors so I welded metric nutserts to the stud and buttressed. Didn’t want to go overboard so it will only hold up 475 lb - my picture frames are only machined out of titanium after all. Might go back and redo it for when I want to hang an entire 4.0 on my wall.”

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
bespoke fasteners made of a meteorite that landed in my backyard last night

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

By 'drywall', we actually meant XJ floor pan replacement panels. It's an easy mistake to make, but on the plus side, you can just weld patches if someone puts a hole in your wall, and it looks like every other XJ out there.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

By 'drywall', we actually meant XJ floor pan replacement panels. It's an easy mistake to make, but on the plus side, you can just weld patches if someone puts a hole in your wall, and it looks like every other XJ out there.

ken actually had rear XJ quarter glass up against the house to keep animals out so structural XJ parts isn't too far of a departure.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

ken actually had rear XJ quarter glass up against the house to keep animals out so structural XJ parts isn't too far of a departure.

And several XJs in the yard to house the animals. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

Yeah that wall has been opaque since early 2015, luckily.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

2014, you could see through this wall at the bottom and it was hovering in midair. There was no ceiling in this room.
2015, the wall at the end was gone, and the one to the left, but the one with the window had one side fixed again.
Now it's insulated and sheetrocked.

Next wall is a tomorrow project.

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
Care to post the Manual J / D for that HVAC system?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's pretty funny that you think I did one :haw:

The walls are too variously framed and insulated to stay sane while doing that. It would have taken freaking forever. I would basically have to cad the entire drat house, everything is spaced weird and every wall has different size studs, different sheathing permeability, may or may not be housewrapped, etc etc. So I got a slightly larger unit than every online estimator told me to, after talking to several HVAC people who suggested the same size. If it's not big enough it'll still be better than the crummy window unit we used before and if it's too big... I'm a winter guy there is no such thing as too big.

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts

kastein posted:

I knew the answer before I asked the question, but thanks for the confirmation.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

The walls are too variously framed and insulated to stay sane while doing that. It would have taken freaking forever. I would basically have to cad the entire drat house, everything is spaced weird and every wall has different size studs, different sheathing permeability, may or may not be housewrapped, etc etc. So I got a slightly larger unit than every online estimator told me to, after talking to several HVAC people who suggested the same size. If it's not big enough it'll still be better than the crummy window unit we used before and if it's too big... I'm a winter guy there is no such thing as too big.
The danger of oversizing is failure to dehumidify before the unit cools the place down, which can make the climate clammy and uncomfortable. If it's just a little oversized it shouldn't matter much, you definitely have done your homework.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

OK so it's been... several months since I updated. Whoops.
I continued sheetrocking the living room.

I installed a new basement window. This one was badly broken and covered half assedly in a ragged filthy piece of plastic by the previous owner, and was the source of approximately 90% of our drafts into the basement.

I'm told hipsters go nuts for old distressed windows like this so we may try and sell all the old ones to an antique dealer or something. Who knows.

Then we took a week long trip to Washington to plant a thousand douglas fir seedlings on our land there. Yes literally a thousand. I think my arms and legs were close to a general strike by the time we left. We met my inlaws and my aunt there, without whom we never would have finished the planting. She's an old hand at this (having replanted forestland before) and I think she planted as much as the rest of us put together.
Saw this beautiful vehicle on the side of our road on the way to our place. I guess I will be classing up the joint, not making it look worse.

Burned one of the half a dozen 10ft piles of logging slash/debris. My wife is really great at burning poo poo - definitely better than me.

Each of these bags had 120 trees in it when we started, and we already planted half the bags by this point. A thousand didn't seem like a big number for 5 acres and I almost bought two thousand, but a thousand was a huge number and I'm glad that's all I got.

Back to depressing New England winter, rotten wood, carpenter ants, and lead paint...
This is the stairwell structure. It's terrible.
This side's fine - sorta. 2x4s are sideways but hey it reduces the wasted floor space I guess.

This side is awful. 1-by stair stringer that's entirely unsupported by anything. 1 inch gap between it and the lath on the nearest wall, no actual connection made.

And they cut it too short and said gently caress it and sistered a short piece on. Great fuckin job assholes.

Back to working on the AC so it's ready for spring AND I can finish insulating the second floor hall/closets and sheetrock everything.

This connection gave me nightmares for like 6 months because I couldn't figure out how I was gonna connect the long top face of the canvas collar to the filter rack with zero working space available. Turns out the answer is simple, just slide an S-cleat in there, dumbass. Then I ran a bunch of screws into the sides and bottom and taped it all up. DONE, nightmare over.

Cut the opening for the kitchen AC return, I'll deal with the duct and return grille for it later when I frame in the kitchen ceiling. This was strategically placed so I could put my arm through the hole while finishing hooking up that nightmare canvas collar.

More ceiling structure to conceal the ducts.

Fake duct covers around two more sides of the room to make it look architectural instead of like a dorky rear end duct cover across one side of the living room. With some crown molding and pictures I think it'll actually look nice... and we can hide a retracting projector screen between the actual duct and wall.

Time to get back to sheetmetal fab so I can finish the return ducting in the attic. This terrible picture is of the flat blank for an 8in round to 8x8 square duct transition.

patterns I made it from. Learned how to do this on YouTube...

One done, one to go. Not bad for a first attempt if I do say so myself!

Second one finished and spot welded next to the first one. These connect a pair of round 8in ducts to a 16x8 trunk for the return from the hall and master bedroom. Any resemblance to the love child of Madonna and the Tin Woodsman is strictly unintended.

Hooked up halfway

Some dumbass screwed up measuring and put this return a half inch from center.

Returns connected to the dual 8x8x8 transition.

I can post a million pics of douglas fir seedlings in Washington too but I'd have to steal them off my aunt's facebook, I barely took any pics on the trip.

E: oh yeah we have basement lights that work as of a few weeks ago, I installed eight 4100lm Ocean State Job Lot LED light fixtures and it's so bright you can see into the future down there now. And as soon as the AC is done I'm going to start installing the hydronic heat I've only had parts sitting around for for four drat years now. Windows for the living room are ordered as well.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 12, 2019

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Hey, just wanted to say I've got this thread bookmarked and I'm thrilled when I see a new post. Been following this for more years than you probably care to think about. Feel like I should send you a house warming gift when you finally get done with the place.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Please do post some photos of the tree planting, if it's not too much work to get them.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Please do post some photos of the tree planting, if it's not too much work to get them.

Can you please also do it if it's a bunch of work?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My wife (Britt) and I with one thousand trees in the back of the rental pickup.

Left to right: mother in law, father in law, Britt, and some dork who writes too many words and doesn't post enough pictures. This picture is actually on my inlaws land - all the trees that big were cut on ours. That is a beautiful huge maple tree. This whole "moss and ferns growing on loving EVERYTHING" thing is still confusing me.

Britt and our friend Kurt and his daughter, who came out to hang out, burn stuff, drink things, have an adventure, and maybe plant a few trees. This one (and all subsequent) are our land.

I think my thoughts were "what the gently caress was I thinking going into this 8 foot deep Himalayan blackberry jungle?"

Britt being a pyromaniac.

This is a Madrona seedling. We have a few mature Madronas as well - they're a beautiful but very slow growing hardwood that may become endangered soon. Picture a 50-75 foot tall gangly rhododendron bush and you've got it.

Kurt and Britt planting trees/losing blood to the blackberry jungle.

One of a thousand. We tagged any pre-existing sapling with blue or green flagging tape (whatever was on hand) and any newly planted sapling with orange or pink. Mostly so we can track how well we planted them.

Father in law planting trees.

Some dork planting trees.

More planting trees. So. Many. drat. Trees.

I may or may not have been bleeding at that moment.

The blackberries are truly vicious - they take over EVERYTHING in a clearing. And a clearing is about all we have right now. So they range from ground hugging thorns to massive, 8+ foot tall clumps of inch thick vines with half inch long thorns all over them. It's like walking through Mordor. I can't wait till they start dying out when the trees we planted shade them into oblivion.

This land is subject to a development moratorium for another half a decade at this point. We've filed paperwork to get the moratorium lifted (it exists so people can't turn low tax rate timber production forestland into subdevelopments instantly after logging every last tree they can get their hands on - since we want to restore it to its original forested condition with one little house in the middle, the development center people seem happy with us) but it hasn't gone through yet and we've had to put a lot of money into permitting, applications, geotechnical assessments from a registered professional engineer, etc etc. Here's hoping we can get that all fixed so as soon as the falling down goony hacker den is done we can sell it and move West to build the house I actually wanted to build in the first place.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Goddamn, that looks like a pain in the rear end to navigate. I'd love to see it when the blackberry bushes are bearing though. Thanks for the pictures, and for letting me vicariously experience a much more open life.

I went to a local beekeepers meeting yesterday; some dude was handing out bare-root bigleaf maple trees for free. I thought of taking one and then looked them up online -- grows up to 150 feet tall, and not in a nicely compact way either, they spread all over the place. My lot is 5000 square feet. I'd be shading the entire neighborhood if I planted one of those things. On your land it'd be barely a blip.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Our lot is 330ish by 660ish, one of those at full size would make even it start looking smallish. I doubt we'll live long enough to see our trees really get big, but as they say... The best time to plant trees is 50 years ago and the second best time is now.

The blackberries are my mortal enemy. I will kill them all. They're incredibly demoralizing to hack your way through and they grow back so fast.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would have thought the shade from the blackberries would outcompete the saplings... but I don't know anything about it so maybe not?

Also, as awful as it is to climb through, blackberries rule in picking season. A couple years ago my wife and I helped some friends up in Oregon harvest blackberries from a section of open public land.

This is four adults and two children harvesting for probably 2 hours, and with the consideration that we all gorged ourselves while doing it and this was what was left. I made jam and pies and my god it's good poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I thought so too but I've been assured it's not that big a deal and they'll be fine. Also my aunt said we probably didn't actually need a thousand, more like 600 or so. So hopefully it'll be fine even if a few get shaded to death.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I guess that's a good point, shotgun approach. Will you guys be planting any other species, or just go with lots of the fir?

We have lots of Madrone trees in California, they're typically part of near--coastal forests especially chaparral, so mixed with oak, manzanita, bay, buckeye, etc. but I imagine they're mixed with other species up in the much wetter are you're in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We'll probably plant a bunch of Western red cedar as understory once the Douglas Fir are about ten years old, they don't do well in full sun so we couldn't plant them first. May do some deodar or Leyland cedars along the road frontage to jump start the privacy barrier next time we're out there, I almost bought them this trip but I'm glad I didn't because we ran out of time and they would have been wasted.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Speaking of my 5000 square-foot lot, it had a row of Leyland cedars along the back fence when I moved in. They grow super-fast; I don't know how old they were when I got the place but I'd guess they went from around 15' tall to well over 30' tall in 5-6 years. But somehow they did that without establishing much of a root system, so when a big windstorm came through they started to tip over and lean against the fence (that they were planted like a foot away from). I had to get them all cut down and removed before they could destroy the fence.

I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't plant the cedars immediately next to the road, lest they fall over and block it. I assume you're planning to build your house well back from the road anyway, so you should have plenty of room for a buffer around your privacy trees.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Those blackberries really look nasty.

I bought about 10 acres in 2014 that was covered with them along with 2-3” junk hardwood saplings (sweet gum, red maple, box elder, cherry). It took about 3-4 years of bush hogging and spraying with 2-4d to kill them all. Good luck and I hope they don’t kill off your saplings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm getting pretty good at digging up the rhizomes whole. If you do that and then burn them or pile them in tree branches so they can't reach ground before drying out you can get them pretty fast. If you leave extensive pieces of root and rhizome good luck.

Once we get out there my general plan is to rip out a decent patch every month or so and anytime they pop up, cut them off and apply Roundup gel if I don't feel like pulling them out. I don't like just blasting the whole place with pesticides but topical application on pestilences such as blackberries, bring it on.

It looks like all we have to do is hold our public hearing on the permitting and then we're home free! Then I just have to design the house and pole barn, finish this house and move there. That's all.