Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pardner, being a cowboy ain't a lifestyle, it's a way of life. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
♫ Well lemme have a camp and a knife and bullets and I'll cut em' ♫

♫ I'll climb up a mountain and ragdoll down 'cause of realism ♫

♫ Well, my guns won't stay on my back no matter what I do ♫

♫ It happened to me and guaranteed it'll happen to you ♫

♫ No matter ♫

♫ If I curse it ♫

♫ It's "realistic" ♫

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 10, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

In the wild west people had so much lead in them that they had terrible memory problems and could only remember five combinations of clothing and kept misplacing their guns and would instantly sink and drown if they got in water

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ICMB posted:

Hah you wish. They still get unselected constantly. Bizarrely it tends to work in Online so I don’t know what the problem is.

One of the more recent patches that came with the launch of Online fixed it so that if you're out in the wild, your guns will be saved. Arthur will still constantly put guns back into his saddle but they will remain equipped.

The downside is that if you enter any settlements or start any missions it does the disappearing act again and you're only equipped with your pistols (and whatever long arms they force onto the mission). Learned the hard way that gang hideouts count as settlements for this "feature".

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Dumb question, but who is on the cover of the game? It isn't supposed to me Arthur is it?. Doesn't really look like anyone I have met in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's Arthur. In true Rockstar fashion the Key Art doesn't really look like the actual characters at all, pretty though it is.

edit: This dates all the way back to I think GTA 4, which iirc was the first to introduce the lollipop-lickin' key art lady that to my knowledge has never actually been in any game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 11, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How quickly we forget San Andreas.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's Arthur. In true Rockstar fashion the Key Art doesn't really look like the actual characters at all, pretty though it is.

edit: This dates all the way back to I think GTA 4, which iirc was the first to introduce the lollipop-lickin' key art lady that to my knowledge has never actually been in any game.

I think that was San Andreas, and Lindsay Lohan (successfully?) sued Rockstar for using her likeness without consent.

Anyway, watching Youtube of that last mission with the kickass remix of the first game's theme, and two questions:
a) When are they releasing a loving soundtrack
b) Does John automatically start that mission with Arthur's hat? I always made sure he was wearing it when going off to do gunslinging anyway so I don't know, but if I was a developer, by God I would have made sure that was the case

edit: c) TRUMPETS. FIESTA!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Finally finished the epilogue after spending time doing the busywork and man, the feels in the credits. :(

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

I think that was San Andreas, and Lindsay Lohan (successfully?) sued Rockstar for using her likeness without consent.

Both Lindsay Lohan and Karen Gravano (from Mob Wives) tried to sue Take Two over characters that resembled them in GTA5 (Lacey Jonas and Andrea Bottino respectively).

The cases were thrown out of court.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

freebooter posted:

b) Does John automatically start that mission with Arthur's hat? I always made sure he was wearing it when going off to do gunslinging anyway so I don't know, but if I was a developer, by God I would have made sure that was the case
It is the case.

Speaking of which, I feel bad for anyone who didn't start the last ride to camp hatless. Arthur slipping the hat out of his satchel, seeming to consider it for a moment, before slipping it on while that music comes in... it's like the most iconic part of the game and I assume not everyone gets it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Timeless Appeal posted:

Austin Walker talked about doing the party and purposefully just watching Dutch through the whole thing. He got this sad little narrative of Dutch trying to reconnect with people, but not being able to get past this distance that's formed between him and the rest of the gang.

Honestly, for me the party is the thing in the game. I'm playing Hitman right now which is this very impressive clockwork worlds of small moments in time. But the party--especially the first one--just feels like something entirely different, and something games haven't accomplished before. Like a lot of RDR2 is still the illusion of a living world more than an actual living world, but the party feels very intensely real. It's something that I feel has been overlooked about the game when people discuss it.

I really hope that Rocskstar continues to explore that sort of storytelling. I could see a Bully II that is mostly all just these Sleep No More clockwork theater experiences or a GTA game that really returns to San Andreas's attempt to depict a neighborhood. Imagine something akin to Grove Street with the design principals of the camps.

Honestly, in the second play through where I've slowed down and stopped treating it like a regular game (let alone a rockstar game) and more like...more like a cowboy RPG, I guess, RDR2 may in fact be one of the finest pieces of entertainment yet crafted. There is an incredible amount of freedom in the world and how you interact with it, and way more depth to things I thought were shallow the first time around.

The issue with RDR2 is that this is extremely poorly communicated by the "main" game. The main storyline never encourages you to do anything other than the minimum required to do the next mission, and because of this a LOT of the secondary mechanics like hunting, camp upgrades, hell even the basic act of eating food feel like either chores or just a waste of time.

I think the prologue fucks it up, if I had to place blame, because it's both extremely linear and there is effectively no reason to leave the camp during the downtime between missions. The first time through I just assumed that this was effectively the game so I followed that general progression through the rest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel the opposite way about it. In my opinion RDR2 is yet another modern game that does not care at all about people who work a lot and only have a few hours a week to play games. The game has no respect for your free time whatsoever, nearly everything takes way too long to do even if it's something so simple as menu navigation. There was surely a way to make it be that be-a-cowboy-guy-RPG type game while also streamlining the stuff a player would not realistically want to do, and they didn't even try. That whole aspect of the game is a huge misfire for me, and I think they knew it would end up that way for many people because you can just completely ignore it without any consequence.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I feel the opposite way about it. In my opinion RDR2 is yet another modern game that does not care at all about people who work a lot and only have a few hours a week to play games.

I kind of see your point, but I think a big part of the game's impact is the time it takes to do stuff. If you could skip bits and fast travel from anywhere to anywhere it'd really lose something. Maybe stick to shorter games if you only have a few hours a week to play?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm inching ever so closer to the end of the Chapter 6 and saw the scene with Sister Calderon where Arthur confesses he's afraid. The expression on Arthur's face...oh my.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe stick to shorter games if you only have a few hours a week to play?

Or play it for years! If you have that little time, where’s the fire?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Snowy posted:

Or play it for years! If you have that little time, where’s the fire?

it's actually an advantage, because one game will last you forever

but yeah no i hear you...i am kind of sick of 100+ hour games, and it's a shame that this one is so good because it'll just encourage more

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

There are some mechanics that are bad - the menu system, especially the weapon wheel and satchel, are particularly heinous.

The game also is very poorly paced if your goal is to finish it within a reasonable timeframe - which is a pretty drat common requirement and certainly how I played it for my first playthrough. However, on the second runthrough, it's clear the developers intended you to spend a lot of time doing non-story missions, and the world is full of details which you are extremely easy to miss.

A perfect case for that is the first playthough, I ignored the first stranger mission in valentine, the one that starts an entire chain of awesome missions, because I saw the grey ? and assumed oh, that's probably some lameo side mission, I'm not interested in that right now. Literally every time, in my second play through, I've stopped because something looked interesting, it turned out to be worthwhile and cool.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

abigserve posted:

Literally every time, in my second play through, I've stopped because something looked interesting, it turned out to be worthwhile and cool.

I’ve always thought this is how you’re supposed to play open world games, like the whole point.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I feel the opposite way about it. In my opinion RDR2 is yet another modern game that does not care at all about people who work a lot and only have a few hours a week to play games. The game has no respect for your free time whatsoever, nearly everything takes way too long to do even if it's something so simple as menu navigation. There was surely a way to make it be that be-a-cowboy-guy-RPG type game while also streamlining the stuff a player would not realistically want to do, and they didn't even try. That whole aspect of the game is a huge misfire for me, and I think they knew it would end up that way for many people because you can just completely ignore it without any consequence.
Hey, it's okay to not like a game.

But I'm someone who really settled into cowboy routines of making coffee and breakfast, feeding my horse, cleaning my guns. And it's not like I'm the only one. The little details are easy to dunk on, but for a lot of folks they're what make the game.

I think the comment about not respecting people's time is also really different from my experience. I and a few people in my life who work a lot got really into the game because it's the only game we were playing for three months and we're folks who aren't necessarily playing anything if it doesn't catch our fancy.

For what it's worth, I feel like the ambient gameplay, main story, and side missions work in a pretty decent harmony with each other.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm inching ever so closer to the end of the Chapter 6 and saw the scene with Sister Calderon where Arthur confesses he's afraid. The expression on Arthur's face...oh my.
Yeah, that was touching. The little pieces that add depth to Arthur over time are the best thing about the story, like how he strikes up a friendship with the photographer and you do missions with him simply because Arthur likes him. Rockstar improved the GTA/RDR stranger quests by making the strangers more grounded and less wacky.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It took me way too long to realize you could take your plate over to the table and sit down to eat with everybody else instead of just walking around camp eating.

Also I started every morning in camp pouring a coffee and walking around camp taking sips while chatting to the other members of the gang :shobon:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hey, it's okay to not like a game.

But I'm someone who really settled into cowboy routines of making coffee and breakfast, feeding my horse, cleaning my guns. And it's not like I'm the only one. The little details are easy to dunk on, but for a lot of folks they're what make the game.

I think the comment about not respecting people's time is also really different from my experience. I and a few people in my life who work a lot got really into the game because it's the only game we were playing for three months and we're folks who aren't necessarily playing anything if it doesn't catch our fancy.

For what it's worth, I feel like the ambient gameplay, main story, and side missions work in a pretty decent harmony with each other.

Yeah I eventually found myself frying up some meat for dinner and then having a swig of whiskey and a cigarette every night before falling asleep; it serves no purpose, all your cores refill when you rest anyway, but it seemed like what Arthur ought to do before settling in for the night, so I did it.

Still not really sure what the purpose of coffee is; if it fortified your cores I could see it, but as it is, it’s a restorative item that isn’t any better than the other readily available ones, that you have to camp to prepare. Damned if I didn’t make it in the morning anyway though

E:

Jerusalem posted:

It took me way too long to realize you could take your plate over to the table and sit down to eat with everybody else instead of just walking around camp eating.

You can what??

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Jerusalem posted:

Also I started every morning in camp pouring a coffee and walking around camp taking sips while chatting to the other members of the gang :shobon:
I stood at the stew pot and poured the entire plate into my mouth, got things to do.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I love talking to my camp mates as they get stew because they insist on maintaining eye contact with me while scooping it out. It makes for some really interesting contortions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

snoremac posted:

I stood at the stew pot and poured the entire plate into my mouth, got things to do.

Pearson standing weeping to the side, begging you to please just use the goddamn spoon at least.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ve always thought this is how you’re supposed to play open world games, like the whole point.

In some games I totally agree, pretty much every Bethesda game under the sun that's how I play it. However, I went in to RDR2 expecting a mostly linear narrative experience similar to other rockstar games in which the open world is a backdrop but not the main attraction.

I would argue the prologue, i.e the introduction to the game, reinforces this preconception of what the game is. Further, the few times I did go off the beaten track a bit I was rewarded with something relatively minor or something I didn't understand the significance of, like coming across the house and saving the builders, I assumed that well that's that then, and I never went back.

The biggest design decision, and I'm not sure if it was a conscious one, was to not draw any attention to the side content. To use a Bethesda example, basically everything is marked on your compass at all times and it's rare that a cave literally contains nothing at all, so the game encourages you to get sidetracked. In RDR2, it's almost the opposite, where you have to seek out the side content.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can what??

Red Dead Redemption 2 : You can what??

possibly the most accurate game title.

I feel like we could start a "did you know you could...?" thread about this game that could go on for quite a while before no new info was added.

it took me several days online before I realized you can wash your face in a barrel of water at your camp to get the same effect as taking a bath in the single player, and there's also a crate full of beer you can drink from (and if you stand facing in the right direction you throw the empty bottles at Cripps)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

winter.mute posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 : You can what??

possibly the most accurate game title.

I feel like we could start a "did you know you could...?" thread about this game that could go on for quite a while before no new info was added.

Yes please :clint:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

abigserve posted:

There are some mechanics that are bad - the menu system, especially the weapon wheel and satchel, are particularly heinous.

The game also is very poorly paced if your goal is to finish it within a reasonable timeframe - which is a pretty drat common requirement and certainly how I played it for my first playthrough. However, on the second runthrough, it's clear the developers intended you to spend a lot of time doing non-story missions, and the world is full of details which you are extremely easy to miss.

A perfect case for that is the first playthough, I ignored the first stranger mission in valentine, the one that starts an entire chain of awesome missions, because I saw the grey ? and assumed oh, that's probably some lameo side mission, I'm not interested in that right now. Literally every time, in my second play through, I've stopped because something looked interesting, it turned out to be worthwhile and cool.

yeah, i just started a new game and i am just gonna take it slow this time and do as much side content as possible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

winter.mute posted:

you can wash your face in a barrel of water at your camp to get the same effect as taking a bath in the single player

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can what??

The number of times I wished there was an easier option to get clean rather than going into town or taking a swim.... :doh:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

snoremac posted:

Yeah, that was touching. The little pieces that add depth to Arthur over time are the best thing about the story, like how he strikes up a friendship with the photographer and you do missions with him simply because Arthur likes him. Rockstar improved the GTA/RDR stranger quests by making the strangers more grounded and less wacky.

I teared up at my spoilered scene, and it's still affecting me the next day. I guess it's because I'm almost the same age as Arthur, my birthday is coming up this week, and the themes of regret and redemption and lost time are resonating with me.

Also, yeah there are a couple of "wacky" stranger missions, but nothing nearly as egregious as GTA. RDR1 was my first Rockstar game, and the only reason I bought GTA5, to which I found the latter's nihilism and satire way off-putting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Late in the game there is an amazing scene where Arthur absolutely loses his poo poo at Micah and begins reading him the riot act, and Micah looks genuinely terrified.... until Arthur's tuberculosis kicks in and he breaks down coughing and wheezing, giving Micah his confidence back.

It was a really neat reminder that Arthur is a terrifying dude when he wants to be, and the level of authority he has held in the gang for so long.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

It is the case.

Speaking of which, I feel bad for anyone who didn't start the last ride to camp hatless. Arthur slipping the hat out of his satchel, seeming to consider it for a moment, before slipping it on while that music comes in... it's like the most iconic part of the game and I assume not everyone gets it.

I'll do you one better. I spent ages hunting - I'm on the way to 100%ing the game, but I still can't kill a snake without mangling it - until I finally got that great hat from the Trapper, the one with the brim that's a snake complete with fanged head lunging out of it. I wore it religiously, and it did look pretty cool but when Arthur was facing down Milton and he was looking right into that snake, I started feeling like it might be a little too much. And then it got shot off right after that, during the next bit of gunplay. So when Arthur took his old hat out of his satchel to the music, it really resonated - like I'd accidentally played out a whole side narrative about a man and his hat. And then Arthur passing it on to John hit even harder. I find I can't keep John in his "classic" hat, it doesn't seem right somehow.

Anyway, RDR2 is a game chiefly about hats.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

there's a moment with charles by the campfire in chapter 1 I missed the first time through which was just outstanding talking about, basically, he's not sure why he's alive or what his purpose was. I listened to him around the campfire, but then I realised I could still interact just as he was finishing his little depressed confession, and I pressed "greet" expecting to basically break the immersion with arthur goin' HOWDY CHARLES or some poo poo but instead he just sighs and says "well charles...you're one of the best people I know." and god drat that blew me away.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anti-Hero posted:

I guess it's because I'm almost the same age as Arthur, my birthday is coming up this week, and the themes of regret and redemption and lost time are resonating with me.

Me too, fellow this week birthday haver :smith::hf::smith:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing that I have to wonder is the game has it show that Ross found Marston because of the Micah shootout, but wouldn’t have that happened either way? He gave up hiding his name and Ross seemed like the type who would have looked for him anyway. Maybe I missed something where that was a direct cause for the events of 1 to happen.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bobjr posted:

One thing that I have to wonder is the game has it show that Ross found Marston because of the Micah shootout, but wouldn’t have that happened either way? He gave up hiding his name and Ross seemed like the type who would have looked for him anyway. Maybe I missed something where that was a direct cause for the events of 1 to happen.

i think maybe they were following the trail of the money? If John hadn’t taken it they might not have bothered with him and called it a day after busting Micah’s camp. Pearson and a handful of others get away, after all

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Kolnikov posted:

I'll do you one better. I spent ages hunting - I'm on the way to 100%ing the game, but I still can't kill a snake without mangling it - until I finally got that great hat from the Trapper, the one with the brim that's a snake complete with fanged head lunging out of it. I wore it religiously, and it did look pretty cool but when Arthur was facing down Milton and he was looking right into that snake, I started feeling like it might be a little too much. And then it got shot off right after that, during the next bit of gunplay. So when Arthur took his old hat out of his satchel to the music, it really resonated - like I'd accidentally played out a whole side narrative about a man and his hat. And then Arthur passing it on to John hit even harder. I find I can't keep John in his "classic" hat, it doesn't seem right somehow.

Anyway, RDR2 is a game chiefly about hats.

I had used a few different hats throughout the game before settling on the original old hat in Chapter 6. I wasn’t sure if it forces you to use it or not, it’s cool that it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The second play through really is the best. I thought I could wait for the PC version (I had faith in Duke, I can have faith in Dutch getting on PC) but I started over again and it's incredible the stuff I breezed past. Now I'm old and wise and pace myself. At the very start when you get to that snow town just after getting Sadie and the missions open up, I ran right off to the missions the first time. But this time I actually walked around the camp and looked at stuff and talked to everyone. Then I found the building with all the women and John in it, and I spent like 30 minutes talking to them all, seeing if I could exhaust their dialog. It took a drat long time to get repeat dialog and I got a bunch of insight on characters I just spent like 80 hours with on my first play through. It's really mesmerizing the amount of detail and character that went into this game. I get flustered when people are like "lol dumb game I couldn't blow up a horse in a stealth mission", but I know everything isn't for everyone. I just hope gaming in general knows the level of quality and depth they put into this game is welcomed and keeps expanding.

I'm playing other games and realizing how little heart and work went into them. Like Vampyr, a dumb game I'm hate playing just to finish it, your character has to often check doors and he says the same two things over and over. You can eat rats to get back health and it takes like 5-6 rats to get your meter full, and I've done this about 200 times and I'm not even half way done with the game and he just says the same two lines over and over. I'm worried games are broken for me now after RDR2, much like an open world without climbing seems so limited after Breath of the Wild.

I'm still going to buy and replay the game on PC, if you let me rockstar!!!!