Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mayo is oil, egg yolk, and vinegar or citrus. Aioli is garlic and olive oil, with the olive oil sometimes replaced by egg yolk.

Most of your modern cold aiolis/mayos have ingredients from both. Neither is More Traditional and Real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Traditional aioli is just oil and garlic but most modern recipes also include egg and lemon juice, so it's not necessarily mayonnaise but usually it is.

True. In Spain it's even called ajoaceite, literally meaning garlic oil.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Temaukel posted:

True. In Spain it's even called ajoaceite, literally meaning garlic oil.

Aioli is occitan for garlic oil

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gripweed posted:

the music awards are called the Grammys because they were created by Kelsey Grammar's granddad.

Wouldn't it be his grandma?

I mean they aren't called the Grammpas

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Slippery posted:

Wouldn't it be his grandma?

I mean they aren't called the Grammpas

What? They aren't called the Gammmas either. They're called the Grammys because it's a cute nickname for anyone from the Grammar family.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gripweed posted:

What? They aren't called the Gammmas either. They're called the Grammys because it's a cute nickname for anyone from the Grammar family.

But they referred to their grandma as "Grammie" and over time that could have been corrupted to Grammy

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The only 2 condiments you need are Worcestershire sauce and some kind of chili sauce, brand doesn't matter much, hot enough to make you cry and leak snot. For special occasions.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Being racist against Italy is perfectly reasonable. Mafia, Berlusconi got elected multiple times. Five Star Movement. Mamma mia.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Being racist against Italy is perfectly reasonable. Mafia, Berlusconi got elected multiple times. Five Star Movement. Mamma mia.

potentially unpopular opinion: being racist against any race is not ok, my dude. yikes. :chloe:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Italy is a country not a race, and they're also white. :)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Showering blows. I do it every morning, but I hate doing it. It sucks that your hair gets oily after only a day of not being washed with shampoo and i suspect Big Shampoo is somehow to blame. I wish I could just get away with doing it every other day and not have my hair look like a used mop

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

doverhog posted:

Australia proved up to the task of being racist against Italian and Greek migrants.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

Showering blows. I do it every morning, but I hate doing it. It sucks that your hair gets oily after only a day of not being washed with shampoo and i suspect Big Shampoo is somehow to blame. I wish I could just get away with doing it every other day and not have my hair look like a used mop

Showering is great, and daily is way too often to be washing your hair.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Mayo is great with anything, but especially funerals.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

doverhog posted:

They're also white.

You're gonna be operating on a real loose definition of white with a lot of italians bub.

Your reasoning could also very easily be applied to a whole lot of other races and ethnicities and is dumb/bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

Everything south of Rome is Africa.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I was half joking, with both posts. To be half serious, any country without a regular snowfall and temperatures regularly dropping below 10 Fahrenheit is suspect.

I'm looking at you England. If Brexit happens Scotland should leave the UK and join the EU instead.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 11:30 on Feb 12, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

If Brexit happens Scotland should leave the UK and join the EU instead.
I'm reasonably sure they want to anyway?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Italy does suck

Eject it into the mediterranean. Scotland can get attached to the spot it was at, if they want.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Italy's cool, Greece blows.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Italy's cool,

No. Explain Berlusconi getting elected multiple times if you disagree. The problem with all the South is they don't know how to suffer in cold darkness and follow the rules until you die. What a useless people.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Italy gave us pizza and pasta so its good with me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CrRoMa posted:

Italy gave us pizza and pasta so its good with me

Italian pizza is gross, good pizza was invented in America. And so were tomatoes. Everything good about Italian food is American.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ossobuco.

edit:

Also Peposo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Funimation should rerecord Broly's lines with a new voice actor for the bluray release of Broly

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Tiggum posted:

Showering is great, and daily is way too often to be washing your hair.

maybe if you wash it with a wire brush or something, personally I prefer clean hair to the alternative though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slippery posted:

maybe if you wash it with a wire brush or something, personally I prefer clean hair to the alternative though

If you're working in a coal mine or something then I guess you probably should wash your hair more often, but if you're not doing anything in particular to make it dirty then washing too frequently just makes it greasier. Your scalp produces oil. If you wash it away then it just produces more oil to compensate. If you respond by washing your hair more often then you make the problem worse. Wash your hair, like, twice a week at most.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

America is worse than Italy. If they want to improve they can put Cheney and Bush on trial for war crimes. Until that happens please Americans stop talking about politics or history or Italy.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Slippery posted:

I can't recall where I learned of the idea, but several months back I decided to go two weeks without using soap at all. I still bathed, mind you - every day, just...no soap, no shampoo. So what I learned was - you definitely don't need either of those every day. In fact, my skin seems to work best using soap about every 2-3 days or so. Hair took a bit longer to acclimate, but after about a week of just rinsing it, it was super shiny and healthy. So much so that a few people asked me what products I was using. Since the concept of bathing without soap sounds kinda gross, I was just vague: "uh. not sure...some salon stuff..." I wouldn't ever go COMPLETELY without soap again, but I definitely have cut way down. For the record, I am not smelly or greasy. In fact, most people say I smell good, so...

All that being said, you definitely don't need to wash it every day and as Tiggum pointed out, you are likely just making it more oily doing that. Also: REALLY hot, like hot as you can stand it, water helps.

I am just now getting my hair back post-chemo, but once it grows out I will go back to not washing it every day.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

America is worse than Italy. If they want to improve they can put Cheney and Bush on trial for war crimes. Until that happens please Americans stop talking about politics or history or Italy.

Being better than :911: is not a high bar

Also shitaly sent troops to Iraq. Berlusconi can hang with Bush and Cheney though. Blair too.

Edit: if you have hair with any length to it then lol at washing it every single day. Rinse and/or condition daily yeah but washing with shampoo every day is a no no

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Feb 12, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

No. Explain Berlusconi getting elected multiple times if you disagree.

Agreed, nuke America until all that is left is fine silt Then we can proceed wih other countries with terrible presidents, and eventually work down to Italy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvGwN6nLYs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If you're working in a coal mine or something then I guess you probably should wash your hair more often, but if you're not doing anything in particular to make it dirty then washing too frequently just makes it greasier. Your scalp produces oil. If you wash it away then it just produces more oil to compensate. If you respond by washing your hair more often then you make the problem worse. Wash your hair, like, twice a week at most.

If I do this it would become so oily I wouldn't be admitted to a restaurant. It's probably worse for me because I'm like platinum blonde with rather thin hair though so oil immediately stand out unless I scrub that poo poo out on a daily basis.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was thinking about applying for my Italian citizenship through one of my paternal great grandfathers so I can get an Italian passport. Would eliminate a bunch of headaches if I ever decided I hated living in the US enough to move to the EU.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Voyager is better than DS9.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Tiggum posted:

I guess I'm an outlier, or have super lame boring hair. Mine is short and I shampoo it with whatever generic brand shampoo every day. I don't have any noticeable amount of oil or grease, but again I have the most boring short utilitarian dude hair imaginable so maybe there's no oil/grease 'cause I'm too basic even for that

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

HaB posted:

I can't recall where I learned of the idea, but several months back I decided to go two weeks without using soap at all. I still bathed, mind you - every day, just...no soap, no shampoo. So what I learned was - you definitely don't need either of those every day. In fact, my skin seems to work best using soap about every 2-3 days or so. Hair took a bit longer to acclimate, but after about a week of just rinsing it, it was super shiny and healthy. So much so that a few people asked me what products I was using. Since the concept of bathing without soap sounds kinda gross, I was just vague: "uh. not sure...some salon stuff..." I wouldn't ever go COMPLETELY without soap again, but I definitely have cut way down. For the record, I am not smelly or greasy. In fact, most people say I smell good, so...

All that being said, you definitely don't need to wash it every day and as Tiggum pointed out, you are likely just making it more oily doing that. Also: REALLY hot, like hot as you can stand it, water helps.

I am just now getting my hair back post-chemo, but once it grows out I will go back to not washing it every day.

Interesting! I mean I'll be honest, I've certainly read about no-soap (or infrequent-soap) showering but never tried it. I suppose I could give it a shot, maybe I will finally get that smooth & shiny skin that's been evading me ever since my sadly over-showered youth.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

HaB posted:

I knew a girl who got into that no-shampoo stuff and yeah her hair got really shiny, but touching it always made me recoil. It was so loving oily. It didn't stink or anything, but it was just kind of gross, like permanently looking like she just got out of the shower.

It really needs to be more socially acceptable to tell people they stink or their hair looks gross etc. Not to be hurtful, but just being honest. There are so many people out there that reek but they don't realize it and keep doing these fads to rebel against Big Soap and they'll never know they are the new smelly guy in the office.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I think the effectiveness of not-shampooing really depends where you live. I managed to last a couple of months in a rural Australian city, but the first time I went to an actual metropolitan centre, my hair went crazy greasy.

So to sum up:

Somewhere on the Mongolian steppes, yes.
A major industrial city, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that just TV? TV still exists.

Yeah, high fives all around for inventing the TV channel.