Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Never mind Stompy, Leon's running through raw sewage with an open bullet wound, I'm amazed he hasn't killed himself with a horrible infection.

Post-game DLC sounds lit.

'Mr. Kennedy, your test results are in. I'm sorry to say, but you're infected.'
'You mean... the G-Virus?!'
'No; but you have the worst goddamn case of MRSA I've ever seen.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
It's always weird going back to RE4 - just not being able to move and shoot feels weird (I don't think they sorted this even for RE5 right(?))

What it lacks in QoL, it makes up for in other things. It came out 14 years ago and at that time it just blew everyone away. Modern games like the new Tomb Raider and Uncharted borrow heavily from the RE4 model.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

At least this time Ada makes some attempt at treating the injury before rushing off to find Annette. It's not much and wouldn't do anything to stop Leon turning into Swamp Thing with however many diseases, infections and turds there are coming into contact with the wound during the sewers, but she tried.

Andrigaar posted:

That's my point though. It's really hard to go back and replay the game when I've seen greener pastures.
Fair enough, was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction on my part. I'm just used to seeing so much mindless bullshit about how RE4's controls "are modern even today" that I can't stop myself :v:

Old Grasshopper posted:

It's always weird going back to RE4 - just not being able to move and shoot feels weird (I don't think they sorted this even for RE5 right(?))
Yeah we had to wait until Revelations before our elite highly-trained combat unit heroes could utilise that most basic of manoeuvres.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 12, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Finished the Vendetta movie, that was some fun trash.

I know this is mostly for RE2, but someone mentioned the movie earlier and I had to check it out. I figure the experts would be able to answer this:

Have they mentioned if the people infected with that virus remember dismembering and eating their family or strangers? Do the people who took deadly damage when infected just flat out die when the virus leaves their body and they return to normal? Am I overthinking it since the RE universe is a bioweapon hell hole and civilians just don't matter?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd rather be forced to stop and shoot as long as it means the bullets a) do something and b) go where they are intended. Whats the good of moving and shooting if your recticle grows to 4 square acres with any slight movement?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How likely are Capcom to add a randomiser as DLC? The only official thing like that was in RE2 for the N64 right? I basically want excuses to play this game as much as possible I think so that would be great. If not is that something theoretically possible with mods as people get more used to whatever that entails?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

very unlikely but they are releasing some kind of rogue-lite extra mode we barely know anything about

e; on the official release, modding is probably possible

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Azubah posted:

Finished the Vendetta movie, that was some fun trash.

I know this is mostly for RE2, but someone mentioned the movie earlier and I had to check it out. I figure the experts would be able to answer this:

Have they mentioned if the people infected with that virus remember dismembering and eating their family or strangers? Do the people who took deadly damage when infected just flat out die when the virus leaves their body and they return to normal? Am I overthinking it since the RE universe is a bioweapon hell hole and civilians just don't matter?

Overthinking it, all things considered. The ending indeed made no sense and was probably just there for "feel good" reasons to wrap up quickly rather than add up logically.

Imagine that though. You're a zombie that's been munching on a cold corpse for a good hour when suddenly you're just you again. You have a crippling stomach ache but don't know why and for some reason there's a (literally faceless) dead body next to you with bite marks everywhere. How do you even begin to make sense of that, or come to terms with it? You just end up with a population of confused, screaming individuals with a skyrocketing suicide rate.

If we're going to be realistic, Raccoon City had it better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The creator of the original randomizer is already working on one for this. Had a bunch of updates on his twitter. I keep forgetting his name. Ben something.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
The guy who did the og re2 randomizer is working on one for the new game as well

Beaten, his name is Ben Powell

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Overthinking it, all things considered. ...

If we're going to be realistic, Raccoon City had it better.

I figured.

I did find it hilarious that the audience was supposed to feel sympathy for a weapons dealer. I know he didn't do bio-weapons before the failed assassination attempt but he was still a poo poo stain before that happened.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope the next game features a return of some of the cast we havent seen in decades and is the Dog from Resi 4 teaming up with Claire's Dog.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m halfway through the 2nd run and Mr. X still jolts me every time. I think I lose sleep playing this at night because it pumps too much adrenaline.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

I both love and hate randomisers. Sometimes they seed the most horrible things (the classic Zelda ones for instance sometimes will class something as "achievable" but you have to bomb-jump a specific place and it's impossible). So if there are some randomiser options for how horrible a seed it is then that would be awesome. Ideally I wouldn't want to have to glitch the game to get through a very aggressive seed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Old Grasshopper posted:

It's funny how both games basically run cleverly disguised tank controls.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The prison mob but each variation of Birkin instead of zombies

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

:eyepop:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s a reverse speed run. Get S+ in the longest legal time.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

It's funny how both games basically run cleverly disguised tank controls.

I think the tank controls actually add to the survival horror! I replayed the first game over the weekend and it was made more scary by the lack of control I had over Jill Valentine! Trying to steer her around the zombies...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really wish this game had an in-game Files list so I could figure out what 2 files I'm missing by process of elimination.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Andrigaar posted:

That's my point though. It's really hard to go back and replay the game when I've seen greener pastures.

This also happened with Monster Hunter games, the series has been adding QOL improvement for 15 years, then MHW comes out and make the older games basically unplayable.

SettingSun posted:

It’s a reverse speed run. Get S+ in the longest legal time.

That would be 2:29:59.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This game is extremely cool and good, putting all other games with remaster in them to shame.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

In Training posted:

I really wish this game had an in-game Files list so I could figure out what 2 files I'm missing by process of elimination.

Yes. Every game that has a "collect X thing" achievement should provide at least some kind of information scent to help the player along. There are several ways to go about it, depending on what the intent is. For example, shooting all the Mr. Raccoon figures is intended as a scavenger hunt and meant to reward the player for carefully searching through the environment. The game could still provide a checklist like "Mr. Raccoon 1, Mr. Raccoon 2, Mr. Raccoon 3, etc." but obfuscate by not explicitly putting location information in the list. That would still allow the player some context of where to look, since they could recall when and where were the Mr. Raccoons that they did shoot, then fill in the gaps. Like, if I've shot 2 so far and items 1 and 3 are checked off, then I can determine that I've missed one so far and it was located in an area somewhere between the two that I found.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

This also happened with Monster Hunter games, the series has been adding QOL improvement for 15 years, then MHW comes out and make the older games basically unplayable.

GU was a better game than World

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nope, 2nd run is on a 2 hour timer.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
TIL The Quickdraw pierces zombies. Immediately after noticing it I got a double headpop, too. Good times.

Also, If X punches you out of a defense item animation, you take no damage and keep the item. It's pretty easy to do on the escape course, when he shows up on the stairwell, provided you're a character that has an item at all.

In Training posted:

It's true and you should say it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training posted:

It really isn't though.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nope, 2nd run is on a 2 hour timer.

Well gently caress that then. God drat. Is the B game really that much shorter, or did they just shorten the time to make it a harder challenge?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

B is actually a teensy bit longer I think, at least all my A runs have been slightly shorter, maybe since you don't have to juggle the multiple handgun stuff? There's probably other reasons. It's just to make it harder.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Completed Claire A on Assisted, had a blast, really enjoyed the story and spooked a bunch of times.

Had done enough of Leon A to get the Infinite knife, finding the racoons was neat.

Tried on standard difficulty, can't hit a goddamn thing. No S ranks for me I guess.

Hopefully some DLC will unlock the infinite guns and stuff that seems like fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've only been "running" the A game but I remember the B game going quickly since you skip the whole gas station/street section and the PD being faster to get through, or that's how it felt. Maybe it was me being so familiar with the layout and what to do though. Didn't think it'd be that much shorter to shave off a half hour on the S+ rank though.

I'm at the end of my Claire A S+ rank run and Birkin 4 sucks my rear end because it's just a war of attrition on Hardcore, not a fan of this poo poo since the fight itself isn't hard, I'm only dying because I have no ammo.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
My times for B are like 15-20 minutes faster, but you can get them really close if you play well. 2 hours is pretty doable either way, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Azubah posted:

It's a brand new virus that hasn't been mentioned before or since, so your guess is as good as anyone else's. Virology in this universe is basically magic, so maybe they pop back up and they're basically fine with no memory of the event and their breath smells like peppermint.

The real "win" at the end of Vendetta is that the full-scale, city-wide viral outbreak in downtown New York City only lasted for maybe half an hour, which means nobody has to drop a nuke on Manhattan.

Hungry posted:

Yeah seriously, one glance at Resident Evil fanfiction and it's mostly Chris and Wesker loving.

Which annoys me. Mostly due to the attendant character distortion.

"Chris, I'm a murderous sociopath who's burned through hundreds of live human test subjects and wants to take over the world... but... yo' dick too bomb."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've only been "running" the A game but I remember the B game going quickly since you skip the whole gas station/street section and the PD being faster to get through, or that's how it felt. Maybe it was me being so familiar with the layout and what to do though. Didn't think it'd be that much shorter to shave off a half hour on the S+ rank though.

I'm at the end of my Claire A S+ rank run and Birkin 4 sucks my rear end because it's just a war of attrition on Hardcore, not a fan of this poo poo since the fight itself isn't hard, I'm only dying because I have no ammo.

What helped me with that one is I think you do all the damage by popping eyes, so you want to be using the minigun in bursts rather than dumping non-stop. Shooting him off the wall also does a big chunk of damage. Also, once he melts down into the crawling upper body phase he will just die on his own so you can safely have 0 ammo there if you have the time to spare.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Wanderer posted:

"Chris, I'm a murderous sociopath who's burned through hundreds of live human test subjects and wants to take over the world... but... yo' dick too bomb."

More like, D Virus amirite?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah gotta say I finished the game once on Claire A with a B rank. Then went straight for the S+ rank Hardcore (same scenario) and made it with 30 minutes to spare. B scenarios are doable in 30 minutes less:

Then I just went on victory laps with the gatling gun and the B scenarios are doable in under 1h 30 if you skip the SMG/Magnum noncritical stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training posted:

What helped me with that one is I think you do all the damage by popping eyes, so you want to be using the minigun in bursts rather than dumping non-stop. Shooting him off the wall also does a big chunk of damage. Also, once he melts down into the crawling upper body phase he will just die on his own so you can safely have 0 ammo there if you have the time to spare.

I've literally just been wasting the minigun then, but thanks to this I managed to take his rear end down and I now have all of the Infinite Ammo weapons. The worst part is I've mopped up all of the achievements at this point and the only one left is... to find all of the files to read. I have two that I just can't seem to find. Are there Claire and Leon specific ones that are easy to miss? I want to assume that's what I'm missing. There's also no way to check to see what you've collected right? Don't all of the files reset when you start a new game?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Am I also supposed to use bursts with the flamethrower on bosses?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

poe meater posted:

Nah, unload on the fool(s).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poe meater posted:

You only get a narrow window to shoot anyways, so I usually go with a 20 unit spray before I'm running away.

Although if you picked up the spare canister you should have WAY more than enough to fuel to completely shithouse ol' Willy B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

Speaking of RE4, I just saved before The Big Cheese fight.

Now that I've played REmake2 however, the QoL changes make RE4 feel ancient:

- Have to ready weapon to reload
- Back+Run = 180 spin, but the camera whips in a motion blur mess, and you pivot in place
- Run isn't a toggle and can't be made to be
- No fast weapon swapping

I'm gonna bitch about this every few days I fear.

Replaying 4 again was torture until I figured out how to install the hd project and the flawless widescreen mod. Turns out being able to actually see poo poo makes a big deal