Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!

Serenade posted:

The worst part is when you do eventually get a perfect item, it'll be something hard to coordinate with. My Special Charge Up torso is Samurai Jacket, do you know how hard it is to make a good look with that?

Due to the shells obtained from this splatfest I finally (re)finished my whole set of 14x3 pures and now I'm looking at all of the sets and just think "these don't even match.... I need to make replacements".

Gear making is a cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for the info.

I've never even bothered customizing my gear before. What are some good setups? Or what are some skills that aren't worth the slot?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I’m working to build 100%-pure loadouts of everything I can (with reasonably well-coordinated outfits just to make it interesting) and so far have found:
  • I can’t really tell if Bomb Defense DX does much of anything
  • Swim Speed Up immediately bumped me up higher in Ranked than I’ve ever been before
  • Special Power Up lets you throw the Point Sensor halfway across the map and it feels like it lasts forever
  • Quick Respawn is boring but effective
  • Maxing Quick Super Jump lets you outrun your own missiles to watch the other team get clobbered in person, which may be literally the most fun thing you can do in-game short of shoving an enemy Baller into the water

soppi
Jan 27, 2019
I've been having a lot of fun with a new play style. On turf wars I use bloblobber with the ink gate and ink storm and the strategy is to basically run any time you see an opponent. So I have Ninja, 3 main power boost (ink coverage for bloblobber which makes it really long), 3 swim speed up, and the rest I try to use to boost my main ink saver or special in any way. I don't know what the best setup would be, I'm just going with what I have and I'm new to the game. But I try to focus purely on map control and practicing watching teammates and mini map. It's so much fun hiding and messing with people when you have the ninja power. I'm constantly jumping and swimming away or trying to trick them by hiding. I don't actually try to run every time I see someone, but my main focus is staying alive and maximizing ink output.

Edit: Also I think I'm two wins away from filling my A- bar in Rainmaker. What rank should I look towards getting where I can know I'm not complete garbage at this game?

soppi fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 11, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

soppi posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with a new play style. On turf wars I use bloblobber with the ink gate and ink storm and the strategy is to basically run any time you see an opponent. So I have Ninja, 3 main power boost (ink coverage for bloblobber which makes it really long), 3 swim speed up, and the rest I try to use to boost my main ink saver or special in any way. I don't know what the best setup would be, I'm just going with what I have and I'm new to the game. But I try to focus purely on map control and practicing watching teammates and mini map. It's so much fun hiding and messing with people when you have the ninja power. I'm constantly jumping and swimming away or trying to trick them by hiding. I don't actually try to run every time I see someone, but my main focus is staying alive and maximizing ink output.

Edit: Also I think I'm two wins away from filling my A- bar in Rainmaker. What rank should I look towards getting where I can know I'm not complete garbage at this game?

X :cool:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's good that you're looking at the map, it's something people probably forget to do the most, and it used to be easier in 1 by having it always on the gamepad. The map gives you an insane amount of situational information based on where ink is appearing and how

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have almost 300 snails and like infinity dollars. I should probably get around to making some custom gear, it just feels like a chore I'm doing while I could be playing Splatoon

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Are pures even super useful? I get that there's a nice mix + match element, but from hanging around some Splatoon discords, a lot of their gear often has 2 of the same sub + 1 of special saver, bomb defense, quick super jump, or ink resist. And it's easy to slot those in so the gear you're using fits in anywhere. For example, I have comeback, 2 subs of quick respawn, and 1 sub of special saver. It's a hat I can use on any piece of gear where I anticipate dying happening. I also have some boots with stealth jump, 2 quick super jumps, and a bomb resist. Also very easy to just toss in somewhere, and those two subs of quick super jump cut jump time by like half a second.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mystery Machine posted:

Are pures even super useful? I get that there's a nice mix + match element, but from hanging around some Splatoon discords, a lot of their gear often has 2 of the same sub + 1 of special saver, bomb defense, quick super jump, or ink resist. And it's easy to slot those in so the gear you're using fits in anywhere. For example, I have comeback, 2 subs of quick respawn, and 1 sub of special saver. It's a hat I can use on any piece of gear where I anticipate dying happening. I also have some boots with stealth jump, 2 quick super jumps, and a bomb resist. Also very easy to just toss in somewhere, and those two subs of quick super jump cut jump time by like half a second.

Pures make it very easy to mix and match quickly to try out new builds or go between different weapon's requirements. 2+1's tend to be for a very specific weapon and are not useful outside of that configuration. Unless you're high X rank or playing for gold league, you shouldn't care about the degree of min/maxing that specific sets get you.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Pures make it very easy to mix and match quickly to try out new builds or go between different weapon's requirements. 2+1's tend to be for a very specific weapon and are not useful outside of that configuration. Unless you're high X rank or playing for gold league, you shouldn't care about the degree of min/maxing that specific sets get you.

I dunno, that's sort of the appeal of 2+1s for me, anyway. Filling 2 slots via grinding then spending 10 chunks to get your +1 feels more approachable than than either rolling a perfect by grinding it or spending 30 chunks to get the last slot after filling 2 slots. And especially since you might not be high X rank or something, the fact that maybe one sub of ink resist or bomb defense isn't optimal for your gear isn't going to matter as much, and since those subs are generally useful, you'll still get SOME use out of it, so it still feels just about equally mix and matchable to me.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

In Training posted:

It's good that you're looking at the map, it's something people probably forget to do the most, and it used to be easier in 1 by having it always on the gamepad. The map gives you an insane amount of situational information based on where ink is appearing and how

yeah always a good idea to look at the map every once in a while, i posted this video a while back cause i was like lol look at this clown who dodge rolled into my charge shot but all my buddy could talk about was how i got a dood with a bomb after looking at the map for a split second:

https://twitter.com/SmilesHimself/status/1058266807914483712

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If you're going to go down the customization rabbit hole, the best advice would be to go research what each ability does exactly, including how much of a difference it makes with the slots you are willing to invest in it, and then to take a good hard look into your play style and weapon choices and see how it feels with it.

For example, I main roller and play pretty aggressively, often getting a lot of splats but also alot of deaths. So I run a hat of comeback and three subs of ink recovery, a shirt of Ninja Squid and three subs of swim speed up and shoes of drop roller and three subs of quick super jump.

Comeback is STUPID good for people getting splatted alot, the stealth that Ninja Squid provides is invaluable for crushing unsuspecting dudes, and like half of the people at my skill level either don't remember drop roller is a thing, or don't know how to deal with it .

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Drop roller saves my rear end all the time when I come back from inkjet. It really is useful if you jump a lot.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's so weirdly good in selective uses.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
The REAL upside of comeback is that it lets you wear the fresh fish head. Every day. Every game mode.

soppi
Jan 27, 2019
This game is so fun and so addicting. I can see it being easy to burn out on for people/myself. I haven't played 6-10 hour sessions of a game in a loonng time but 4-6 hours are a normal session when I play.
I also haven't gotten this mad at a game in a long time hah. I'm normally pretty chill in multiplayer games but I get really frustrated with Splatoon. Everything is so quick and fast. I know it's partly my fault too because thinking of my gameplay a month ago makes me embarrassed and I'm sure in a month I'll feel that way about my gameplay now, but man. My teammates skill of just understanding basic macro stuff seems so inconsistent. I'm having an insane amount of fun though.

But I should probably stop using the bloblobber and learn something else soon. What's a good next weapon to slowly get me into learning how to aim? (I do use gyro FYI) I mostly focus on controlling the map or whatever the ranked objective is, but I wanna start getting better at killing people. I don't wanna go full aggro playstyle but wanna break out of my "ink ink ink always ink never stop inking"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you wanna learn how to aim and still be in the nonstop inking mode id say give the bamboozler a shot.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soppi posted:

But I should probably stop using the bloblobber and learn something else soon. What's a good next weapon to slowly get me into learning how to aim? (I do use gyro FYI) I mostly focus on controlling the map or whatever the ranked objective is, but I wanna start getting better at killing people. I don't wanna go full aggro playstyle but wanna break out of my "ink ink ink always ink never stop inking"

Always Lob Bobs. Embrace chaos.

soppi
Jan 27, 2019
I love the bloblobber. Its the best feeling when you get a kill around a corner by bouncing your blobs off the wall. Instead of aiming at people I usually aim by bouncing them off the floor first and jumping/aiming down all the time. Idk if that's good or bad but I'm sure it's screwed up my use with other weapons. It's a different mindset and I absolutely love it over anything else I've tried, but I need to learn how to properly aim and use a gun.

Although I don't really notice it being a problem in salmon run I know my aim is bad. Speaking of which, I finally figured salmon run out I guess because I'm finishing a lot more now. I'm up to Profreshional 180. I've been writing down my records: I'm 11/20 today and average 65 eggs for each win. What level do you need to get where all the items drop 3 chunks?

soppi fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 14, 2019

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soppi posted:

What level do you need to get where all the items drop 3 chunks?

It's random chance no matter what.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

soppi posted:

I love the bloblobber.

:woomy: the blob is great and if you can aim with it, can be an absolute terror. Soon after playing with goons much better than me, I realized I was using it more as a crutch to make up for my shortcomings. Try the sloshing machine for awhile; it's not so good for inking but is a great slaying weapon with really solid kits. I think it's a great alternative to the blob.

I highly recommend playing with goons, particularly via Discord. I have a lot more fun, but my biggest takeaway is just playing with people consistently better. A nice side-effect for me is that being on voice comms with others keeps my frustration, especially verbal, in check. It's a lot easier to laugh off repeat failures when you don't want to give folks the impression you're a high-strung, disturbed individual.

soppi
Jan 27, 2019

Shame Boner posted:

It's a lot easier to laugh off repeat failures when you don't want to give folks the impression you're a high-strung, disturbed individual.

That's exactly why I didn't wanna play with goons hah. I haven't been playing this game too long and I do want to take it "serious" and get better, but I get so FRUSTRATED sometimes. I don't wanna be that rear end in a top hat always getting mad at themselves and bringing down the fun for everyone else. I'm sure I could reign it in and I know playing with people would be a lot more fun, but yeah.... this is the first game in a long time where I involuntarily yell "OH MY loving GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS". I don't truly get mad, it's just a fast game and my instant reaction is always audible frustration. I'll have to join the discord soon and just not get mad lol. It'd make Salmon Run poopsocking a lot easier too.

e: thanks tho, I'll have to try the slosher and that one weapon In Training recommended.

soppi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 14, 2019

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can confirm that Salmon with goons is far more enjoyable.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

soppi posted:

...I get so FRUSTRATED sometimes. I don't wanna be that rear end in a top hat always getting mad at themselves and bringing down the fun for everyone else. I'm sure I could reign it in and I know playing with people would be a lot more fun, but yeah.... this is the first game in a long time where I involuntarily yell "OH MY loving GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS". I don't truly get mad, it's just a fast game and my instant reaction is always audible frustration...

That’s me to a “T”. It comes naturally to me to be casually profane but it gets amplified when I’m frustrated; and personally feel like my knee-jerk reaction to audibly vent gets me more, not less worked up. Being in voice forces me to be self-conscious in that regard and diffusing the frustration seems almost automatic.

About the only thing that universally drags down enjoyment of the game for everyone, in my opinion, when players have “unreasonable” expectations of everyone else. Splatoon lends its self to be a very chill shooter, which is rare in the genre. My secondary goal is to git gud, but I wouldn’t play if my primary weren’t to chill and have fun.

soppi
Jan 27, 2019

Shame Boner posted:

That’s me to a “T”. It comes naturally to me to be casually profane but it gets amplified when I’m frustrated; and personally feel like my knee-jerk reaction to audibly vent gets me more, not less worked up. Being in voice forces me to be self-conscious in that regard and diffusing the frustration seems almost automatic.

About the only thing that universally drags down enjoyment of the game for everyone, in my opinion, when players have “unreasonable” expectations of everyone else. Splatoon lends its self to be a very chill shooter, which is rare in the genre. My secondary goal is to git gud, but I wouldn’t play if my primary weren’t to chill and have fun.

I shouldn't say "always audible frustration". I'm not playing this game for 6 hours at a time with a red face and a vein about to pop hah. My frustration is in extremely short bursts that go away right after I respawn and it might not even happen for long streaks at a time. I'm a chill person and I'm always in a good mood when I play, I don't wanna paint this big gross picture of myself. It's just an annoying kneejerk reaction that wouldn't be fun to listen to. I've never really had the problem in anything else. But yeah even though my spurts of frustration are the most in any game in a long time, it's also the most fun I've had in a long time because it's just the best. I really really really like it.

I'll have to give discord a go though soon. As long as people understand I'm learning I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to not be a whiny 5 year old. I do like my "jesus loving christ"s and "god loving damnit"s though lol

soppi fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 14, 2019

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

There's a reason I always play solo and it has nothing to do with anyone else. I am not chill....

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Biggest thing for me is definitely the game being chill, the discord definitely is a chill atmosphere and I’d recommend hanging out there, it makes the game way more fun that way. I think it’s actually a lot easier to not get overly frustrated with things if we’re just shooting the poo poo while playing and drinking which is normally how it goes.

I’d also second Shame Boner in saying unrealistic expectations for other players is normally what puts a downer on things so if you try to avoid that you’ll be good.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

This game has the ability to make me mad sometimes when I play solo. I have found however that playing with goons is chill like everyone said and it is easy to not get mad. ymmv

There is always the mute button too. I usually leave myself muted until I need to say something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Don't eat dessert with your fingers!!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

Don't eat dessert with your fingers!!!

You're not my supervisor.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If it would make the people here that would like to goon turf and chill, but are worried about their frustration, feel better. I am already that guy in turf and chill that get's audibly frustrated by dumb poo poo that happens to me or super dumb poo poo that I do from time to time.

Don't get hung up about that and give turf and chill a go, because at least in my experience, the more goons in the room, the less you care about that sort of stuff that would get you frustrated and the more overall chill you get.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I've decided to go down the path of insanity that is ability chunks and gear.

Of course the most important part of the game is looking your best so I'm doing my best to coordinate using the gear I have.

I like to play Tri-slosher Nouveau ranked and Undercover Sorella Brella in Turf War, though I'd like to use the Kensa version again if I can somehow save enough ammo on subs to use the torpedo w/out it taking so much ammo.

My plan then is to use a hat with Last Ditch Effort; 4x Swim Speed; 4x Main Ink Saver for the Tri/4x Sub Ink Saver for the Brella; and then any combo of 2x Ink Recovery/Quick Jump Speed/Run Speed, with one Main Power up. It really depends on what's available and what I roll because I don't plan on spending a life time on making perfect gear.

Now I have no intention on keeping this on one piece of armor but spreading it out however it works out. I guess the real question is: Are these bad chunks to aim for for either of those two weapons and is it silly to try for 4x of any of those mentioned? Is it better to just go for x2 or x3 of an ability?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Remember that CoroCoro sponsored gear design contest a couple of months ago? Well, the results are in, and the winner is:

Uhh. Hmm. Anyway the gear will be delivered to buyers of April's edition of CoroCoro. (Japan only, unfortunately?)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Remember that CoroCoro sponsored gear design contest a couple of months ago? Well, the results are in, and the winner is:

Uhh. Hmm. Anyway the gear will be delivered to buyers of April's edition of CoroCoro. (Japan only, unfortunately?)

Someone's been scrounging in the bins behind Dr. Wily's castle.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
It's like the designs in the credits for MM8 and I love it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Why would the Borg interest themselves with the squids?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

that is super overdesigned lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s perfect. I hope it’ll be available here somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

The more I look at it the more I like it. It’s chuuni representation! I’m picturing a middle schooler very happy that there will be inklings that look like their dark side. :unsmith: