Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to the Marksman pub in Hackney for a Sunday roast yesterday. Not cheap, but very good. They do this amazing steamed bun that's like a char siu bun but but filled with bacon or minced lamb, which was a highlight. Very popular on the weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My wife loves that bun! We live within walking distance, and it’s the best Sunday lunch that’s not in my kitchen in Hackney (although I haven’t been to the Duke of Cambridge yet).

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Hey, I'm a Londoner who's been studying abroad for the last two years and I'm about to move back. What are your favourite places that've opened in central/East London in the last couple of years, like a zeitgeist tape of restaurants?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We had really good cocktails at the Escapologist in 7 dials.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looking for somewhere outstanding in London for dinner. Price can go up to £50-60/head. Bocca di Lupo and Barrafina are top of our list, but it needs to be bookable. This would be on a Friday for 4 people at around 6:30 (late March, so have some time to plan).

1 vegetarian, the rest not. Location can be a bit flexible but would like to stay close to Soho if possible. Cuisine is also flexible, but would like to stay away from Middle Eastern/Lebanese.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hmmm.. Duck & Rice on Berwick St? Although that said, you might as well just go to Yauatcha next door.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pollen street social is superb and I'd highly recommend it but might be a little above your budget (was fortunate enough to not see the bill when I went)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Yeah, Pollen St Social is closer to £125/head with drinks and all that. Is it £125/head good though?

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

angor posted:

Yeah, Pollen St Social is closer to £125/head with drinks and all that. Is it £125/head good though?

It's pretty drat good and I'd be willing to pay that for dinner - for a special occasion.

If your £60 a head budget includes booze and service I would try somewhere like The Delaunay where you'd have a good time for the money. If you're keen on Soho then maybe the Dean Street Townhouse although I find it hit and miss, or Bob Bob Ricard but you may go over budget.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Lloyddy posted:

It's pretty drat good and I'd be willing to pay that for dinner - for a special occasion.

If your £60 a head budget includes booze and service I would try somewhere like The Delaunay where you'd have a good time for the money. If you're keen on Soho then maybe the Dean Street Townhouse although I find it hit and miss, or Bob Bob Ricard but you may go over budget.

Good to know. It's not a special occasion, but I'm not opposed to spending that much if I'm going to be blown away. I'll look into the places you've suggested.

Anyone been to Native? I hear good things: https://www.eatnative.co.uk/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

angor posted:

Nothing about that menu looks fun or interesting.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

Nothing about that menu looks fun or interesting.

Simple, if executed well, can be about as good as it gets, but I hear what you're saying.

Rovi is also being thrown around. This is a tough decision!

Edit: Anglo also looks fantastic and also relatively reasonable.

angor fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

angor posted:

Good to know. It's not a special occasion, but I'm not opposed to spending that much if I'm going to be blown away. I'll look into the places you've suggested.

It was delicious when I went to their old location in Neals Yard, but they were closed for awhile looking for a new location.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking for non-French/Belgian non-traditional Fine Dining suggestions for London.

My companion and I love fine-dining and are willing to splurge for it.
Especially ethnic, authentic, foreign, exotic, innovative or, in one word, different, restaurants. No budget.
Places with tasting menu's taking you through the kitchen's aspects/story are especially welcome.

Examples are fine-dining Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Fusion, Greek, Middle-Eastern, .... Even British kitchen, so long as it doesn't relate too much to French/Belgian.

What would you recommend for this type of preference?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm a big fan of The Clove Club and have done their tasting menu once, and return for their bar menu anytime I'm in town. Also a fan of Luca, though they don't have a tasting menu as of last visit and is a little more casual. Neither is particularly adventurous, though. I tend to stick to the same 8-10 places as I visit somewhat often, next time it is for work instead of family I should try to branch out a bit more while it's on the company dime.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Here’s a different question... where to nap in central London?

I’m in town for the day, but I’ve been up a few hours already, and it’s only 9am and I’m already shattered. I’ve got a schedule for today with some gaps, and I’m plotting to grab a half hour here or there to power nap. But where?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I’m in town for the day, but I’ve been up a few hours already, and it’s only 9am and I’m already shattered. I’ve got a schedule for today with some gaps, and I’m plotting to grab a half hour here or there to power nap. But where?

That’s a really good question. When I worked in an office I’d lie down in the boardroom on the floor or sofa for 20 minutes. But where for a nap as a member of the public?
https://www.timeout.com/london/news/cruising-for-a-snoozing-here-are-3-places-to-take-a-power-nap-in-london-081418

Or hop on the circle line for a circuit

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Go to John Lewis or Debenhams and 'test' lie on a mattress. By the time anyone figures out you're actually sleeping and summons the nerve to wake you up, you'll have already gotten in a solid power 20.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What about a lobby of a big and busy hotel? Some have big arm chairs. If it’s got enough people going in and out of the lobby you wouldn’t attract attention.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The Southbank Centre is cavernous enough that you can find some napping space in there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I actually ended up just powering through and kept myself going all day. Slept like the dead when I finally got to bed.

My friend suggested the Barbican, which is also a good shout:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Get on the circle line anticlockwise (via high street Kensington, not hammersmith) from Edgware road. Its the start of the line so you'll be able to get a seat and you can just nap until it brings you round again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Deformed Church posted:

Get on the circle line anticlockwise (via high street Kensington, not hammersmith) from Edgware road. Its the start of the line so you'll be able to get a seat and you can just nap until it brings you round again.

I suggested Circle line already!

How does a circle have a start?:viggo:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

My understandig is when they extended it out round to hammersmith they cut it off from the endless circling at the same time. It now runs from hammersmith round to Edgware road (via Edgware road) then does a reverse, like a regular old tube line that looks like a loop. They should call it the spiral line at this point.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Surely there are some safe & cozy pubs with comfy armchairs you could nap in during the day. By a pint for politness' sake (and to help you nod off). I don't know that many proper cozy places in the centre though. Are there any pubs with inglenooks in central London??

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

El Grillo posted:

Surely there are some safe & cozy pubs with comfy armchairs you could nap in during the day. By a pint for politness' sake (and to help you nod off). I don't know that many proper cozy places in the centre though. Are there any pubs with inglenooks in central London??

There are a bazillion places to nap if you pay for something, I guess the more interesting question is where in London can you go to sleep somewhere comfy for free? I'd probably suggest Barbican or some lesser-known libraries.

It's not really the place for the discussion, but it's a pretty sad and valid question. Many, many places will move you on if you're not a paying customer, and there are security guards who spend their whole day doing that. Most people never really notice that happening. I'm actually pretty sure Barbican has people to stop homeless people just sleeping there all the time too now, but if you look like a young professional or something I doubt it will be an issue.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s a meme floating around about libraries seem to be the only spaces remaining that you can go to without the expectation to buy something.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Deformed Church posted:

My understandig is when they extended it out round to hammersmith they cut it off from the endless circling at the same time. It now runs from hammersmith round to Edgware road (via Edgware road) then does a reverse, like a regular old tube line that looks like a loop. They should call it the spiral line at this point.

I don’t think it was ever a solid unbroken loop, I thought it looked like an Olympic running track or an omega with no gap in the straight bit at the bottom?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Torquemada posted:

I don’t think it was ever a solid unbroken loop, I thought it looked like an Olympic running track or an omega with no gap in the straight bit at the bottom?

It was a loop until the extension out to Hammersmith (I caught it in the wrong direction once as a teenager in the late 90’s).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DoctorTristan posted:

It was a loop until the extension out to Hammersmith (I caught it in the wrong direction once as a teenager in the late 90’s).

Oops, sorry. I meant the actual physical structure, not the bit that you see if you ride the tube. Yeah, I remember going round it once with a girl. After we broke up, I rode it back around in the opposite direction on my own. Ahh to be twenty and stupid again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It definitely used to be a closed loop. I confess to not being enough of s tune geek to know if it’s still the case but defer to others’ greater knowledge.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Went to Tayyabs last night. Was ace.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus
Nightjar looks amazing, the exact sort of place SO and I would like to spend an evening. One question though: where is it exactly? Looking on google maps I just see random high street shops where it says Nightjar should be, I understand it's in a basement but where is the entrance?

Also, as I'm now working in Farringdon I've recently been to Gaucho (steak restaurant) which was amazing, they bring the cuts out on a platter so you can see the different cuts they have that day and decide how good the fat looks/how marbled it is. They do pretty good chips too.

As for lunch around the area, there's a place called GReat, greek restaurant, some of the best yeeros in the UK. They have a delicatessen just down the road too which sells halloumi, halva, and some pretty kick rear end pies (would recommend the spinach and feta.)

Favourites of mine will always be Mr Bao in Peckham Rye, Franco Manca and Honest Burger (I go to Brixton Village) and San Carlo Ciccheti (Italian tapas) high street Piccadilly circus

Mammalian fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 14, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I need to try Mr Bao, I walk past it so often

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mammalian posted:

Nightjar looks amazing, the exact sort of place SO and I would like to spend an evening. One question though: where is it exactly? Looking on google maps I just see random high street shops where it says Nightjar should be, I understand it's in a basement but where is the entrance?

It’s a totally nondescript door sandwiched between two other shops. There’s a small brass plate with a picture of a nightjar.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

DoctorTristan posted:

It’s a totally nondescript door sandwiched between two other shops. There’s a small brass plate with a picture of a nightjar.

Got it, thanks. Pretty cool.

Beef Brisket, Pork Belly and Korean Fried Chicken were what I got last time I went to Mr Bao, they also do tea and were playing some great music last time, it's a relaxing place overall and the staff are friendly.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I love this little Bao cafe in Soho:
Bun House
24 Greek St, Soho, London W1D 4DZ
020 8017 9888
https://maps.google.com/?cid=16839359974626443726

Perfect for the end of a night out, chill out with a beer and loving delicious bao and watch the humans meander past.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

El Grillo posted:

Bun House
020 8017 9888

Perfect for the end of a night out, chill out with a beer and loving delicious bao and watch the humans meander past.

Greek Street is lowkey one of my favourite streets in London, the Japanese knife shop has a great sharpening service, there's a top notch whisky bar/shop, and amazing wierd and retro clothes shop, and now the Bao place.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

tarbrush posted:

the Japanese knife shop has a great sharpening service

I've wanted to get my Hiromoto Gyuto sharpened for a while now, but the idea of carrying my giant knife around the streets of London and saying "boss I'm getting it sharpened init" perturbs me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Bun House
020 8017 9888

You know they’ve got a cocktail bar downstairs that looks like 1960s Hong Kong to a tee?