Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Least surprising but still welcome news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I dunno, it's lovely that the whole movie gets sidelined instead of just Singer. I'm sure there are plenty of women filmmakers who would love to give RED SONJA a go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He probably has a contract and they have to untangle themselves from him before they can move forward.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also projects often get greenlit because a big name director or star got connected to them, so losing that big name can send the project right back to development hell.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Red Sonja movie has been in development hell since 2010. Rose McGowan was originally supposed to be in it!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/scottderrickson/status/1095130404829327360

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Max Landis sucks as both a person and a writer. Chronicle didn’t work because of the script, it had good actors and a solid found footage gimmick. Bright was an embarrassment. I’m sure even Jesse Eisenberg has forgotten he was in American Ultra by now. Landis is the perfect example of a dude who keeps getting second chances because of who he knows. gently caress him, gently caress is pretentiousness, and turbo gently caress anyone who is willing to cape for him after the abuse allegations came to light.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Literally the only thing I ever gave him credit for doing well we’re World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide, but I checked and that was actually Max Brooks :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He sucks. And he wrote one of the best Superman comics of the last decade.

And he still loving sucks.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Fart City posted:

Max Landis sucks as both a person and a writer. Chronicle didn’t work because of the script, it had good actors and a solid found footage gimmick. Bright was an embarrassment. I’m sure even Jesse Eisenberg has forgotten he was in American Ultra by now. Landis is the perfect example of a dude who keeps getting second chances because of who he knows. gently caress him, gently caress is pretentiousness, and turbo gently caress anyone who is willing to cape for him after the abuse allegations came to light.

I'm sure his dad has something to do with it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fart City posted:

Look, it's Showbusiness not Showfriends. Studios have a fiduciary duty to their stock holders to make films that they believe will make money, so they really don't have a choice but to hire the screenwriter whose *checks notes* last four films were massive commercial and critical flops.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

aware of dog posted:

I'm sure his dad has something to do with it

I dunno, Landis has made what, one feature, in the last 20 years or something? I got no doubt the name got his foot in the door, but I think Max Landis keeps getting chances because he talks a good game to old white folks who are out of touch. I feel as though he walks into a room and says hey, I my finger on the pulse, I know how to sell to the youth market. Lest we forget people fell over themselves bidding on BRIGHT.

I feel like everything he pitches has the word 'reimagining' attached.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

I dunno, Landis has made what, one feature, in the last 20 years or something? I got no doubt the name got his foot in the door, but I think Max Landis keeps getting chances because he talks a good game to old white folks who are out of touch. I feel as though he walks into a room and says hey, I my finger on the pulse, I know how to sell to the youth market. Lest we forget people fell over themselves bidding on BRIGHT.

He wrote the screenplays for a bunch of movies everyone forgot existed. Me Him Her, American Ultra (also directed), Mr Right, Victor Frankenstein (no, not the terrible Frankenstein film starring Aaron Eclhart, a different one, starring Daniel Radcliffe and James McAvoy).

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I think it's more that, once you're in the door, getting kicked out has more to do with Hollywood's behind-the-scenes mores instead of public values or commercial/critical success. John Landis, while not publicly active in Hollywood, is still privately in the same golf clubs, going to the same parties, and has the same numbers in his contacts that he had when he was a public name. And so, privately, he could give the necessary nudges to get his son into those clubs, at those parties, and in contact with the people, where he can, likewise, indefinitely float and thus stay a name in consideration for projects and an influence on Hollywood. His name is known, so scripts and ideas he pitches actually end up on desks; he's getting lunch with people where he can put his name forward to take on something; and, as you noted, producers who want to make something hip and with it think "Landis," instead of literally any other name, because they already know him. So Max Landis isn't going anywhere, while people who pissed off Harvey Weinstein are still out on their rear end.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I think Landis is an okay “idea guy;” “MK-Ultra stoner comedy,” “Fantasy End Of Watch,” and “Frankenstein from Igor’s perspective” are all decent concepts. But he loving sucks at delivering a finished product. His whole career feels like an echo of the spec script boom of the late eighties and early nineties.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
And lets not pretend John Landis was excommunicated from Hollywood after Twilight Zone, never to return. He had a whole other career phase after that, including a few pretty big Eddie Murphy movies and that Blues Brothers sequel in 2000. His career was never the same but it's not like it imploded either. He kept working for like 2 decades after that and almost certainly still has many of the same connections he had when he was at his most successful. The one very public exception is his relationship with Spielberg, but in the end Spielberg is just one guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I ended up encountering John Landis while working Halloween Horror Nights in 2013. He had veto power over them using American Werewolf in London for a house, so after years of failed attempts he finally signed off in 2013 with the caveat that he be personally involved in making sure everything was accurate. He even had them install a curved ceiling in the subway set instead of leaving it open like they usually do. Then on opening night he came through with his entourage to see everything in action.

So yeah, he's still out there and even has control over the film's usage in some ways.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If John Landis hadn't murdered all those people dude would've been king of the world and his lovely son king of the universe

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Calaveron posted:

If John Landis hadn't murdered all those people dude would've been king of the world and his lovely son king of the universe

... What?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sarern posted:

... What?

I mean based on all the clout they still wield despite committing murder and poo poo they can still swing their dicks around like it was no thing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarern posted:

... What?

I guess if we're being generous we can call it negligent homicide.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I mean based on all the clout they still wield despite committing murder and poo poo they can still swing their dicks around like it was no thing

I really think it's just proof that 90% of the work is getting in the door, and as long as you aren't kicked out (which only really happens when you offend The Powers That Be), you get to hang around forever as an influence. "It's who you know, not what you know" and all, and once you know somebody, it's much, much easier to keep knowing them unless you're forced to stop.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Precambrian posted:

I really think it's just proof that 90% of the work is getting in the door, and as long as you aren't kicked out (which only really happens when you offend The Powers That Be), you get to hang around forever as an influence. "It's who you know, not what you know" and all, and once you know somebody, it's much, much easier to keep knowing them unless you're forced to stop.

Well I do think there's a difference between "foot in the door" and making Animal House, Blues Brothers, and American Werewolf in a span of 3 years. Once you're considered a bankable talent it takes a lot to erase that reputation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aziz Ansari at his return show

quote:

He began by saying that he loves being back in New York. He recalled a guy on the street telling him he loved his Netflix show, only to realize he was talking about Hasan Minhaj’s Patriot Act. The guy quickly realized his mistake. “‘Oh, no, Aziz, right?’ Yeah, yeah, that’s me. ‘Master of None!’ Yeah, yeah, that’s me. ‘Parks and Rec!’ Yeah, yeah, that’s me. ‘Treat yourself!’ Yeah, yeah, that’s me. ‘And you had the whole thing come out last year — sexual misconduct?’ No, no, no, no, no, no, that’s Hasan!”

From there, Ansari sat down, and his voice turned somber. He told the audience that there are two reasons he hasn’t really talked about that “whole thing” much, referring to the story that came out last year on Babe.net accusing him of sexual misconduct. First, he said, he wanted time to process and determine what he wanted to say. Second, “it’s a terrifying thing to talk about.” “There were times I felt really upset and humiliated and embarrassed, and ultimately I just felt terrible this person felt this way,” he continued, his voice wavering. “But you know, after a year, how I feel about it is, I hope it was a step forward. It made me think about a lot, and I hope I’ve become a better person.” Ansari recalled a conversation in which a friend told him it made him rethink every date he’s been on: “If that has made not just me but other guys think about this, and just be more thoughtful and aware and willing to go that extra mile, and make sure someone else is comfortable in that moment, that’s a good thing.”

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Aziz had a pretty thoughtful initial response, I thought. Did he ever actually apologize?

That's a pretty good joke though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I mean he didn’t take a swing at school shooting victims, so I’m willing to see how the conversation develops going forward

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

I mean he didn’t take a swing at school shooting victims, so I’m willing to see how the conversation develops going forward

Pretty funny looking at the reaction to Louis CK's first return set and how many people(not itt) were defending it as like, the core of comedy itself that you can never take away from comedians and how dare you question a comedians right to try out material at clubs. Turns out that nope, you really don't have to come right back and immediately offend everyone just for the hell of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty funny looking at the reaction to Louis CK's first return set and how many people(not itt) were defending it as like, the core of comedy itself that you can never take away from comedians and how dare you question a comedians right to try out material at clubs. Turns out that nope, you really don't have to come right back and immediately offend everyone just for the hell of it.

It's almost like if you can't make a comedy career without insulting disenfranchised people or survivors of a terrorist attack, you're a lovely comedian.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I mean with Aziz as well it’s one person not several so already it’s a bonus in that you can actually buy that he’s not some monster, even by the woman’s own admission it was consensual just she didn’t feel good about it and he wasn’t working with her so it’s not some kind of horrific abuse of power situation. Then roll in the fact that he actually apologised to her straight away when she texted him, and also that the fact that while you should always respect the victim and not just say they are lying in this kinda situation where it’s only one person (not like several victims backing it up with the same pattern or story each time) there is room for some he said / she said.

I thought aziz initially came out against PC culture or something and it really soured me on it if his response was going there. Maybe I’m misremembering but at least this is a decent step.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aziz is great and I am glad he's not some rapist monster. He's just another dork.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Coffee And Pie posted:

Literally the only thing I ever gave him credit for doing well we’re World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide, but I checked and that was actually Max Brooks :v:

I actually thought the same thing

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The whole Aziz Ansari thing was a good conversation to have in the sense that he had some lovely but totally common attitudes towards consent and sex, but I think there was a lot of defensiveness around him since up until then the playbook had been pretty much 100% anyone who is called out is ejected from the public eye, and "being a lovely first date in the exact same way that tons of people are" doesn't really rise to that level. Fortunately, that didn't really happen at all.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

I think Landis is an okay “idea guy;” “MK-Ultra stoner comedy,” “Fantasy End Of Watch,” and “Frankenstein from Igor’s perspective” are all decent concepts. But he loving sucks at delivering a finished product. His whole career feels like an echo of the spec script boom of the late eighties and early nineties.
Hes fine as a writer. I think the hyperbolic attacks on his abilities as a writer are because of his easy route into movies due to his connections and because he is clearly such a punchable little poo poo, but as far as Hollywood writers goes he is at worst competent.

Lets actually hate Max Landis for more straight forward reasons;
1) The multitude of allegations of sexual conduct and assault
2) His favourite wrestler is Triple H

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Gorn Myson posted:

Hes fine as a writer. I think the hyperbolic attacks on his abilities as a writer are because of his easy route into movies due to his connections and because he is clearly such a punchable little poo poo, but as far as Hollywood writers goes he is at worst competent.

Lets actually hate Max Landis for more straight forward reasons;
1) The multitude of allegations of sexual conduct and assault
2) His favourite wrestler is Triple H

Those two points are true, but I'm gonna go ahead and cite the incoherency of Bright's worldbuilding, American Ultra's meandering plot, and Landis' general lack of ability to create characters outside of hard archetypes as knocks against him as a writer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Once you're considered a bankable talent it takes a lot to erase that reputation.

.... unless you're a female director, of course. I read an article years ago that ran up a big list of female directors whose careers had completely stalled after one bad movie as opposed to young up-and-coming male directors who kept getting handed second, third and fourth chances.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... unless you're a female director, of course. I read an article years ago that ran up a big list of female directors whose careers had completely stalled after one bad movie as opposed to young up-and-coming male directors who kept getting handed second, third and fourth chances.

The best example of this is Lexi Alexander who's career is just now recovering.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Hollismason posted:

The best example of this is Lexi Alexander who's career is just now recovering.

It's especially bullshit because War Zone is possibly the best Marvel movie to date

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The weirdest part in that Landis thing is when she says 'I was worried because you've got 50 pounds on me' and his response is 'i have way more than 50 pounds on you'

If he's not a sex criminal, he does a loving awful job of acting like someone who isn't.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

One time Seth Rogen watched that Frankenstein movie and good-naturedly tweeted a joke to Landis about it. Landis did not take it in the spirit with which it was intended and instead replied, through multiple messages, about how Rogen should know how the Hollywood system works and he actually just wrote the first draft and how it's not far etc. That kind of sums up who Landis is: incredibly thin skinned and can't wait to "Actually..." you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

It's especially bullshit because War Zone is possibly the best Marvel movie to date

Yea that one is just so egregious because the movie is good. It took less than ten years for fans to reappraise it and realize how good it is, sometimes audiences just don't respond to something right away. The studio should've understood that she directed the hell out of that movie and counted it as a mark in her favor, not against her.