Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

sneakyfrog posted:

try to enjoy killing yourself with the first object you try to interact with!

To expand on this: There's a modest initial learning curve where it is remarkably easy to beat yourself to death with your own shoes. Then there's a level of basic competency where you can, with difficulty, beat other people to death with your shoes. Then you start getting better and can handily beat people to death with their shoes. Then there's another bit of curve when you start trying to do a job properly, and eventually you hit a bit of a plateau where you can wander into an area and use your new job knowledge to, say, animate everyone's shoes with a cloud of smoke and watch them get beaten to death by their own living shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RagnarokAngel posted:

SS13 is what happens when years of code (that was started by someone else) continues to build into a cronenberg monster.

Siljmonster posted:

Don't call the Something Awful Forums "SS13"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I vaguely remember a story about a sandwich that contained the entire codebase? It wasn't that but a similar idea, I think.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I always placed the threshold of basic SS13 competency at successfully smoking a cigarette without harming yourself or others

My favorite iteration of the game, though, is colonial marines, because even when everyone has the best intentions the proliferation of new players, dangerous equipment, and labyrinthian control schemes makes every single operation fall apart in a orgy of slapstick violence followed by gruesome actual violence. Panicked friendly fire, misused explosives, tank hit and runs, and hilariously doomed last stands are all par for course.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I vaguely remember a story about a sandwich that contained the entire codebase? It wasn't that but a similar idea, I think.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Crashwich

Another good example is The Crashwich.

Fractal cooking is a time-honoured tradition of SS13 Chefs. You take six food items (almost anything can be deep-fried to turn it into food), make them into a sandwich, use the sandwich to create a sandwich cake (any food can be made into a cake), slice up the cake, use six cake slices to make a sandwich, etc etc etc. This can create unholy monstrosities that lag the poo poo out of everything merely by virtue of existing, sometimes to the point of causing people to crash out as soon as the game tries to display the thing's exponential name. You will note that the Jay Wolff's buttcake I baked there cuts off after a while - its name was so drat big it overflowed the chat buffer. The buttcake is nothing. It and food like it are pitiful hors d'oeuvres compared to THE CRASHWICH.

You see, there's another life-creating mad scientist chemistry recipe in Space Station 13. It's extremely hard to discover and make, but it has the effect of imbuing any object it touches with life. This creates, for instance, a Living Crowbar that floats around and attacks people. At some point a Chef got the brilliant (terrible) idea to combine the living object recipe with fractal cooking.

Enter The Crashwich. Every time this haunted apocalypse of culinary hubris attacked someone, the game reported its name multiple times. When it charged, when it slammed into someone, and every time it hit them, the chat buffer would once again overflow with infinite recursive fractal sandwich. The entire station was brought to its knees by crippling lag, while anyone unfortunate enough to be present for The Crashwich's rampage would immediately crash out and have to reconnect their client, usually to find themselves dead and/or immediately crash out again because The Crashwich was still wreaking havoc.

The admins rushed to intervene, but were alarmed to find that The Crashwich was creating so much lag that most admins who looked at it were reliably crashing. Those with good enough connections to brute-force through all the lag were shocked to discover that the sheer latency generated by the demon sandwich was causing their admin commands to get lost somewhere in the coding nightmare that is Byond. The admins were trying to delete The Crashwich and failing. Ultimately, their efforts were in vain, and the server went down completely. The admins fought The Crashwich and The Crashwich won.

The admins were apparently so impressed that they collectively decided not to ban the responsible party, but instead to deliver a friendly ultimatum: they would not be punished for causing the server to go down in flames, as long as they never created another Crashwich. NEVER AGAIN

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You guys are the best and I love you. A friend of mine wants to try SS13 so I figured these stories would motivate him to greatness. I'll bug the SS13 thread for more horror stories.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

ss13 is a Good Game

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I view the SS13 stories as the same way I hear about Dwarf Fortress. Or like really old text/MUD games. Just with multiplayer and sandbox enabled.

So it's less like say Skyrim where the radiant AI can have an NPC get murdered by town guards, because it stole some food, because it was hungry. It's more like

John has applied soapy water to the floor
Adam slips on the floor
Ben slips on the floor
Paul slips on the floor
xxxGOKUUUxxx: hELP! I fell dowN
John hits xxxGOKUUUxxx with a toolbox
xxxGOKUUUxxx is dead

And then the story teller takes these actions and adds flavor text. It's like hearing someone talk about their D&D campaign. If you were to just transcribe the mechanics of what happened it would be a bunch of numbers going back and forth. But when you put it in the hands of someone who can paint a scene with words, it's a much richer experience.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Riatsala posted:

I always placed the threshold of basic SS13 competency at successfully smoking a cigarette without harming yourself or others

My favorite iteration of the game, though, is colonial marines, because even when everyone has the best intentions the proliferation of new players, dangerous equipment, and labyrinthian control schemes makes every single operation fall apart in a orgy of slapstick violence followed by gruesome actual violence. Panicked friendly fire, misused explosives, tank hit and runs, and hilariously doomed last stands are all par for course.

There's been an offshoot of CM called Mercdonalds that goes up for testing every weekend for a few hours and it's just CM ramped up to absolute idiocy levels. The first indicator being that, yes, you are McDonalds mercenaries trying to clear out the xenos. It also has pilotable dropships, as in you pilot them around in the sky and dudes can jump out and parachute down like it's loving Market Garden with similar success rates and if you forget your parachute you just explode into gibs on impact. Also xeno evolution has a sickass set of detailed branching trees. There's a 'News of the Day' thing at the end of each round using actual photos with commentary taken by the people who play reporters too. It's wonderfully stupid and over the top in a way I enjoy immensely. :allears:

If you can't handle random idiot humor though it'll grate you into apocalyptic fury about 5 seconds after you spawn in, though.

CzarChasm posted:

And then the story teller takes these actions and adds flavor text. It's like hearing someone talk about their D&D campaign. If you were to just transcribe the mechanics of what happened it would be a bunch of numbers going back and forth. But when you put it in the hands of someone who can paint a scene with words, it's a much richer experience.

:hai:

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Feb 12, 2019

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Just for anyone looking to generate random names, Behind the Name is a website about the origin and popularity of names that has a random name generator that I like a lot.

Ariong posted:

Tired: It’s Raining Men
Wired: Donnghaile

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Kitfox88 posted:

There's been an offshoot of CM called Mercdonalds that goes up for testing every weekend for a few hours and it's just CM ramped up to absolute idiocy levels. The first indicator being that, yes, you are McDonalds mercenaries trying to clear out the xenos. It also has pilotable dropships, as in you pilot them around in the sky and dudes can jump out and parachute down like it's loving Market Garden with similar success rates and if you forget your parachute you just explode into gibs on impact. Also xeno evolution has a sickass set of detailed branching trees. There's a 'News of the Day' thing at the end of each round using actual photos with commentary taken by the people who play reporters too. It's wonderfully stupid and over the top in a way I enjoy immensely. :allears:

If you can't handle random idiot humor though it'll grate you into apocalyptic fury about 5 seconds after you spawn in, though.

:hai:

I love random idiot humor and rarely play SS13 less than a little stoned so I'll check it out!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When the atmospheric injectors got re-added a few years back, I had an amazing run with a can of CO2 pumped into Medbay. People just couldn't figure out why everyone was falling over dead for no reason (I remember one guy saying something like "WHAT THE gently caress DISEASE CAUSED ME TO COUGH AND FALL OVER DEAD?!!"), and I will forever cherish watching a Doctor with a breath mask and airtank desperately trying to revive his friend, only to realize he had to take off his breath mask to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation... :allears:
Lmao perfect :discourse:

They must've changed some aspects of the ui, because i did something similar a few times (flood a room or section with gas to displace the o2) but i had to use nitrogen, because co2 levels would trip a few warning messages and your o2 indicator would start flashing. Nitrogen, however, would give zero warnings until the player was suddenly unconscious and looking at a black screen

quote:

Also the key to a good Janitor is to place down the placard signs (Caution: Wet Floor) and *point *sigh at them any time someone slips on your nice wet floor.
Better janitors will do that, but also team up with the clown who will steal their ID badge while they're stunned and prone, then run away honking

The best janitors do it to the captain

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SS13 is exactly like dwarf fortress in that you absolutely have to be at least slightly on the spectrum to get anything out of it. https://youtu.be/nLAHBexJxrE this is a good review of it

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Biplane posted:

SS13 is exactly like dwarf fortress in that you absolutely have to be at least slightly on the spectrum to get anything out of it. https://youtu.be/nLAHBexJxrE this is a good review of it

I mean you know where you're posting right ( :) )

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have had more fun reading about it than doing it much like eve, which brought me into this mess to begin with

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery posted:

I mean you know where you're posting right ( :) )

Hey I value my shitposting career here at the club penguin world forums

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Biplane posted:

Hey I value my shitposting career here at the club penguin world forums

I'm just in this to see the iceberg tip over

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Biplane posted:

Holy poo poo, there's space court now! Years ago i was contributing some sprite work and one day for fun i decided to make Phoenix Wright and Edgeworth's suits, to be held in a bridge locker as space lawyer outfits. I never guessed it'd develop into a full blown court, that owns

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
how the gently caress dont you know about space court

saaaad

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I stopped playing in 2010-2011 or so cuz i had to focus more on school and work

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fair enough. but responsibilities, gently caress in 10 years this forums gonna be just a bunch of corporate ballers waggling ferraris at each other at this rate.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

better than a bunch of goons waggling their balls at each other which is what it is now

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:frogon:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bertrand Hustle posted:

better than a bunch of goons waggling their balls at each other which is what it is now

Better than a bunch of goons in the woods which is what it was 10+ years ago :gooncamp:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they were getting laid though :shrug:

now we seem to argue about food and frequent flyer miles programs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

As someone who knows nothing about the game they all come off as extremely made up.

space station 13 is the result of hundreds of amateur coders just throwing in whatever features/code they feel like putting in, coded at extremely variable skill and effort levels, with the starting point being some guy's simulation of gas leaking out of a space station hull breach coded on the worst engine ever to plague the lands of man

this has been going on for approaching 2 decades now, so the game is a nightmare mish-mash of half-finished, stupid, abandoned systems which interact in ways which were never actually thought about because one of those systems was coded in 2007 by a guy who abandoned it in 2008 and one was coded in 2010 by a guy who hasn't been seen since 2012, and they literally never spoke to each other or even knew that the other existed, but their systems are still both there, still acting upon each other in the same game

the people who play it and code it today are the people who take joy in experimenting in the game development equivalent of the ruins of a lost civilization, destroyed and rebuilt many times over on top of itself, slowly plumbing the depths and finding artifacts from bygone ages. That's why all the stupid, unbelievable bullshit you've heard about this game is poo poo that all actually happened pretty much exactly how it was described: the game essentially is played to generate those stories, more than anything else.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

Well i can't argue that lol

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

sneakyfrog posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i try to post seriously about food and frequent flyer miles programs.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

sneakyfrog posted:

i try to post seriously about food and frequent flyer miles programs.

did u know u can eat food on planes

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nuh uh

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Biplane posted:

If you call that food *eyebrow waggle*

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Biplane posted:

This phrase travels back in time and imprints itself in the head of a young Jewish comedian. He sits up, brow bathed in cold sweat, mouth dry, penis fully erect.

His life now has purpose.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nah he aint funny

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

This phrase travels back in time and imprints itself in the head of a young Jewish comedian. He sits up, brow bathed in cold sweat, mouth dry, penis fully erect.

His life now has purpose.

what have i done

what have i done

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Biplane posted:

what have i done

what have i done

You mean "what have I willed to have been done" :eng101:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You mean "what have I willed to have been done" :eng101:

To paraphrase something my buddy Doug said, the tenses of time travel will really throw your head into the ground.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

what have i do

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Whatingstly willen having I donest've?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!