Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the worst part about interviewing is that the payoff is having to go to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
soooo if i'm being interviewed by a woman, how terrible is it to ask if she thinks the company has a bro-culture problem?

i can think of like 10 reasons why this is a terrible thing to ask but i do genuinely want to know and i dont know how else i could find out. my interactions have all been positive and they say the right things but there's a single glassdoor post that concerns me and the board only has 1 woman on it. i've googled around and haven't found anything beyond the glassdoor post.

could i just say something like 'hey i read this glassdoor post and i was hoping you could reassure me'?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

soooo if i'm being interviewed by a woman, how terrible is it to ask if she thinks the company has a bro-culture problem?

i can think of like 10 reasons why this is a terrible thing to ask but i do genuinely want to know and i dont know how else i could find out. my interactions have all been positive and they say the right things but there's a single glassdoor post that concerns me and the board only has 1 woman on it. i've googled around and haven't found anything beyond the glassdoor post.

could i just say something like 'hey i read this glassdoor post and i was hoping you could reassure me'?

Are you a woman?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

feedmegin posted:

Are you a woman?

no, but i'm not very masculine and i dont like working in bro cultures and i dont want to work in a company that has one

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i guess i'll just ask about the culture and see if i can figure it out from there

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What answer would you expect them to give other than "no"? Perhaps ask what diversity initiatives they have and what actual policies exist if you feel that you or someone else is being discriminated or made to feel uncomfortable in the workplace.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qhat posted:

What answer would you expect them to give other than "no"? Perhaps ask what diversity initiatives they have and what actual policies exist if you feel that you or someone else is being discriminated or made to feel uncomfortable in the workplace.

right that's part of it. even if there are problems it's not like they're gonna feel comfortable telling me. and i dont want to pander.

ok well that answers that. sorry for the dumb question.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 12, 2019

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
say something problematic and gauge her reaction. that’ll tell you

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Flat Daddy posted:

say something problematic and gauge her reaction. that’ll tell you

i think it probably makes more sense to say something really problematic to my male interviewers and see if i still get an offer.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

i think it probably makes more sense to say something really problematic to my male interviewers and see if i still get an offer.

make a comment about your female interviewer to the male ones and see if they laugh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ask your female interviewer to meet up for a beer to talk about the bro culture

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

So I had a tech screen with Amazon last Friday. I figured I blew it... guy didn't seem impressed, he had a very "dissapointed instructor" vibe... kinda flubbed the question he asked (though he didn't state the problem very clearly which he owned up to), just in general didn't get a good vibe from the process. At the end of the call he mentions its 50/50 development/operations, and that half of their product is a "monolith" system they bought from someone, and of course there is an on call rotation.

So I figure whatever, not a good fit anyway. Yesterday I get word that I did fine, and they want to bring me in. I say I'd be interested in moving forward with some other team (the tech screen wasn't team specific), but I don't know if the team I had applied for would be a good fit.

Well then the hiring manager wants to talk... he gives me a call and tries to clarify the things the interviewer had said. He wasn't sure what the 50/50 split meant, it was all "dev" work to him (a manager, who presumably does none of it), except some of the dev work was "root cause analysis" which means something is wrong, figure out whats wrong in production so you can fix it... sounds like operations stuff to me but whatever. He also clarified that the first-line on call thing was for ALL of amazon, which is a huge bummer. He tosses in a few condescending remarks as well like "as I thought I explained" and "read up on stream processing to see if you want to continue" (Its been most of what I've done for the last year or so, which is right at the top of my resume)

So now I'm not sure I want to move forward at all, its a pretty thirsty move to call a guy that's turned you down after just a phone screen. We had a hard time hiring in the seattle market at my last job and we'd never do that.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 13, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

interviewing is like the worst parts of dating with none of the perks

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

CPColin posted:

Ask your female interviewer to meet up for a beer to talk about the bro culture

Ask her why they're having someone in marketing/design/HR interview you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

right that's part of it. even if there are problems it's not like they're gonna feel comfortable telling me. and i dont want to pander.

ok well that answers that. sorry for the dumb question.

You may get an indirect answer if you go for proxy metrics like "what are the social activities here?" and it's all drinking based.

I actually asked about diversity for this current job when I met with the head of HR who described their package to me, it felt like a better person to ask it to than a tech worker.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

ADINSX posted:

So I had a tech screen with Amazon last Friday...

...now I'm not sure I want to move forward at all, its a pretty thirsty move to call a guy that's turned you down after just a phone screen. We had a hard time hiring in the seattle market at my last job and we'd never do that.

I just got an email from them today about doing another phone screen about their "Leadership Principles" :wtc: before doing an onsite. When I had my technical the recruiter gave me like 10 minutes to ask questions, which means I had time for one, and now I don't know if I want to email them the questions or just tell them to gently caress off.

mekkanare fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 14, 2019

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
open the interview with an apology on behalf of your gender. after you’re finished with the crocodile tears complain about bro culture so she knows you’re an ally

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

A complete cloud-native framework to protect endpoints with ease: Stop breaches with the power of big data, artificial intelligence (AI) and real-time visibility

https://www.crowdstrike.com/endpoint-security-products/falcon-platform/

working on software that doesn't actually do anything has its upsides

late 2 the discussion but endpoint protection is kind of crucial in any kind of enterprise and good endpoint detection and containment software is worth its weight in gold

that said i'm unsure of the efficacy of this latest round of platform connected ones because security software is largely snake oil but i'm gonna keep believing it sorta works because our platform basically pays my salary

also a former coworker works for crowdstrike now (although they do ops) and they like it a lot so i'm sure you could do worse

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

late 2 the discussion but endpoint protection is kind of crucial in any kind of enterprise and good endpoint detection and containment software is worth its weight in gold

that said i'm unsure of the efficacy of this latest round of platform connected ones because security software is largely snake oil but i'm gonna keep believing it sorta works because our platform basically pays my salary

also a former coworker works for crowdstrike now (although they do ops) and they like it a lot so i'm sure you could do worse

cool that's really good to know. thanks for your input. i feel positive so far i just cannot cut through all the marketing speak.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blinkz0rz posted:

wait isn't "endpoint protection" mostly a euphemism for antivirus software

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

interviewing is like the worst parts of dating with none of the perks

I prefer interviewing more than dating since they are the ones who pay for everything.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

sort of i guess

antivirus is a type of endpoint protection mostly targeted at consumers

endpoint protection is usually a managed agent which collects lots of data about processes, operations, and user behavior on an endpoint to detect potential compromise

our agent does data collection for our siem, vm, and logging products and tbh it's pretty sweet tech to work on. one of the junior agent engineers is in the process of getting a patent for a new method of file tree searching

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

oh i get what they do now. i thought endpoint protection was like monitoring api requests for sql injections or ddos or whatever. so i thought crowdstrike built software for automatically securing your vpc with ai and big data which, while maybe possible, is probably bullshit.

but no it's a cloud platform for monitoring the security of your it infrastructure.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 13, 2019

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

oh i get what they do now. i thought endpoint protection was like monitoring api requests for sql injections or ddos or whatever. so i thought crowdstrike built software for automatically securing your vpc with ai and big data which, while maybe possible, is probably bullshit.

but no it's a cloud platform for monitoring the security of your it infrastructure.

you're thinking of a rasp or a waf

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

you're thinking of a rasp or a waf

oookay yeah i was just looking at a company that did rasp. got my wires crossed.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

oookay yeah i was just looking at a company that did rasp. got my wires crossed.

anyone in particular? it's a small product space and i know a bunch of folks at a few of them

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm gonna keep believing it sorta works because my salary
same

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The trouble with being good at this is you still feel like you're not doing anything hard when you generate enormous amounts of business value. It's easy to underprice yourself.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

The trouble with being good at this is you still feel like you're not doing anything hard when you generate enormous amounts of business value. It's easy to underprice yourself.

Business value often isn't easy to quantify when your actions don't result in an immediate verifiable impact on the bottom line. Having access to numbers you can quote is a luxury.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qhat posted:

Business value often isn't easy to quantify when your actions don't result in an immediate verifiable impact on the bottom line. Having access to numbers you can quote is a luxury.
Yeah. Prefer to work in sections of the company where you can quantify things if possible. Efficiency projects are my personal favorite.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

A complete cloud-native framework to protect endpoints with ease: Stop breaches with the power of big data, artificial intelligence (AI) and real-time visibility

https://www.crowdstrike.com/endpoint-security-products/falcon-platform/

working on software that doesn't actually do anything has its upsides

lol our computer janitor desperately wants us to install this on our macs “for security” to give him remote admin.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

lol our computer janitor desperately wants us to install this on our macs “for security” to give him remote admin.

you definitely chose the right thread to post that in

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Stringent posted:

you definitely chose the right thread to post that in

yah. I’m jaded and contemplating a job hunt after the push for our 50 person company to install remote admin tools. problem is I was here when we were 10 people and now at 50 and politics and egos are getting in the way as we struggle for a next round and no one but the 5 of us who remain from the days of yore seem to give a poo poo.

case in point: endpoint protection policies on a cloud based infrastructure company.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 13, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh gods I have a phone interview today and it's actually sinking in

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i hate waiting to hear back after interviews. just give me the job, why are you even offering the position to other people or whatever else i am imagining is causing the delay in sending me an offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

big scary monsters posted:

i hate waiting to hear back after interviews. just give me the job, why are you even offering the position to other people or whatever else i am imagining is causing the delay in sending me an offer

i'm currently in the danish IRS and boy did they take their sweet time in making a decision.