Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
There's sure more to Sonia than she gives away, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't think Sonia is supposed to be sexually active and it's just silly innuendo (I think someone mentioned the whole "I can't use my blood for a virgin sacrifice" thing could also imply she's done a sacrifice like that before?), but this is Danganronpa and she did apparently do "shameful things" knowingly in front of the cameras in DR2.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Side: Despair ED is Absolute Hope Birthday by-get this-Nagito Komaeda (er, his CV, Megumi Ogata).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sonia’s whole thing is appearing to be a classical princess and then actually being very different. She is dorky with a love for old Japanese Dramas; she enjoys reading about serial killers and cults and similar Dark subject matter; her country has mandatory military training for every teen which includes learning to drive a tank which she participated in; she even takes government and leadership of her nation incredibly seriously and studies politics so as to be the best Queen she can be when she takes the throne.

So yeah, Sonia only looks like a perfect classical fairytale princess, which is the bit Kazuichi focuses on because he’s kind of shallow, she’s actually an intelligent young woman with darker interests than one might expect which is why she actually gets along well with Gundham.

Also she knows like 11 languages from memory, Sonia is cool is my point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think she was also consistently one of the most helpful characters in DR2's trials.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I will say that I think the "forbidden action" system in the Future Foundation episodes is a pretty clever take on the Killing Game and I think brings out a lot of potential for fun. I do wish things didn't immediately dip into action sequences, because I think it's fair to say DR does character drama and interaction way better, but you know. The farmer immediately dying sucks too since I really like his design, but I guess that just means his death did what it was meant to do.

Sonia's a real homie in the games and so far the classmate interactions are pretty cute. Plus I'll always be a fan of Hiyoko being an absolute turbo-bitch.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Blue Labrador posted:

I will say that I think the "forbidden action" system in the Future Foundation episodes is a pretty clever take on the Killing Game and I think brings out a lot of potential for fun. I do wish things didn't immediately dip into action sequences, because I think it's fair to say DR does character drama and interaction way better, but you know. The farmer immediately dying sucks too since I really like his design, but I guess that just means his death did what it was meant to do.

Sonia's a real homie in the games and so far the classmate interactions are pretty cute. Plus I'll always be a fan of Hiyoko being an absolute turbo-bitch.

Daisaku reminds me of the black-and-white era of Doctor Who, where writers added a woman from ancient Troy as a companion and then couldn't think of anything to do with her besides kill her at the first opportunity.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Solitair posted:

Daisaku reminds me of the black-and-white era of Doctor Who, where writers added a woman from ancient Troy as a companion and then couldn't think of anything to do with her besides kill her at the first opportunity.

I mean, once you get to hear him do his stupid sayings and his unnaturally high voice a few times, there's really not a lot of places for the guy to go. Unless you want to turn him into the mastermind or something. Which might still happen - god knows being dead isn't an obstacle to anything in DR.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The strawberry seed only shows its face three times! :argh:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, welcome back to Future Foundation. Last time, Aoi got loving murdered.

Makoto isn't taking it well. Aoi is dead...

...which is why she's getting up any yawning. Right. What?

As she does that, the knife falls down, revealing it's one of those trick knives where the "blade" just retracts into the handle when you press it on something.

Miaya is panicking, thinking that even if she's not dead, Aoi must be hurt, but Makoto takes a closer look at the knife and realizes the red is just tomato sauce. Well, that's good, nobody died.

...right?

Welp.

So yeah, Kodaka pulled an old switcheroo on us by giving us a fakeout death with Aoi. Instead, Gozu bit the dust.

Meanwhile, everybody else is waking up as well.

Kazuo, Kyoko and Ryota (just out of frame) are in their own little group. Kazuo talks to Kyoko about surviving the round, and Kyoko feels like he doesn't seem like he was too worried about that.

Kyosuke and Juzo ponder the motives of the attacker. Kyosuke figures that if he were the attacker, he'd kill from the top down. Juzo says that would make sense, if the goal was to kill all of them.

Our main group starts planning on how they're going to figure out who the attacker is. Side note - Aoi covered Gozu's corpse with her jacket, that's why it's missing now. Anyway, Makoto wants to talk to everybody, question them, that kind of thing.

Miaya suggests hacking into the intercom system so he can reach everybody. Why does this place have an intercom system in particular? Well, remember the whole "overseas Hope's Peak" thing from Despair Side? This is the building for that. It didn't get finished before The Incident happened, which meant construction had to be stopped. Once Future Foundation came to be, Kyosuke repurposed this building as a base. Miaya finds out that for the intercom, they need to get to the monitoring room.

En route there, Makoto notices that Miaya has a bit of a strange way of making a right turn - namely, a 270 degree left turn. He asks her if she's not able to make a right turn.

Turns out that yes, that is her forbidden action, and she's kinda freaked out about it.

So Makoto shows her his forbidden action as well to reassure her.

We also get Aoi's. Jeez, that's an unfortunate one. Better stay the gently caress away from Juzo then. The group has a bonding moment over revealing their secrets, and Miaya declares the three of them soulmates.

Then, Aoi hears something down the hallway. She tells him to head for the monitoring room while she draws them away. Makoto says he should do it, but given that he can't run, that's not a great idea, so Aoi heads off. Miaya follows her to be her backup.

We see that the one she heard was Seiko.

She sees Aoi and then Miaya head down the hallway and follows them...

...allowing Makoto to slip by unnoticed.

Meanwhile, outside, Yasuhiro is yelling for the others...

...and is interrupted by an attack helicopter. Yasuhiro ends up hanging off a ledge, and figures the others are probably fine, they know what they're doing.

Back inside, Kyoko decides it's time to head out and do detective poo poo. Ryota wonders why Kyosuke is out for blood as well now, and Kazuo says that he has a singularly strong will, which can lead to hope, but just as well breed despair.

Ryota has a freakout about how they shouldn't be putting themselves through this and that they need to pull together. Kyoko just asks him to reveal his forbidden action then, which he says he won't do.

So it's kinda hard to pull together when you really can't trust one another. Kyoko talks about how that is the purpose of the forbidden actions when she's suddenly interrupted by Makoto talking over the intercom.

Makoto says that it was Gozu that died, and asks that they come together to talk about the situation. He says that many think he's part of the Remnants, and that he understands why - his own actions have led them to that conclusion.

He then tells a story about rescue missions he ran for Branch 14.

During those missions, he ran into alumni of Hope's Peak, here represented by Hajime/Izuru. He talks about how he could tell they were Remnants - that they killed people and drove the world into darkness. But he could also tell that they were human, that deep down, they might've been as normal as he and the others are. And that they might've had a chance - had they not met Junko.

There was, however, a way to save them - the Neo World Program. Side note - it may or may not have come up before, but this dub uses some particular localizations. Like using "Super High School Level" instead of "Ultimate", talking about "Hope's Peak High School" and not "Hope's Peak Academy", that kind of stuff. "New" instead of "Neo" is probably just another one of those.

Makoto talks about how there were complications, but he still believes it worked. With that, he concludes his story, and goes on to say that if they're going to get through this, they need to place their hope in each other.

To put some weight behind it, he declares that he's turning his back on the game, and reveals his forbidden action to everybody.

He says that if somebody wants to kill him, that's how, and says that if he were the attacker, he wouldn't reveal this information. Finally, he just asks everyone to trust him.

Kyosuke and Juzo aren't impressed. Kyosuke doesn't believe that he can speak of hope like that unless he's experienced true despair. Kyosuke heads out to the monitoring room and tells Juzo to stay back, he wants to do this alone. Juzo says he at least wants to take care of his friends.

We next cut to Sonosuke and Ruruka talking about what they just heard from Makoto. He suggests going out and killing him, but Ruruka doesn't think much of it, preferring to focus on just staying alive. He swears he won't betray her.

Then, Seiko shows up. Ruruka gets snippy at her about being the traitor...

...Seiko isn't happy, throwing it right back at Ruruka. The two argue back and forth for a bit, with Ruruka suggesting Seiko cooked up the drugs in the bracelets, and Seiko seeming more and more unhinged. There's also that feeling again that there's pretty clearly something that happened between those two that we don't know about.

So she then downs a whole bunch of pills...

...and goes into rage mode or something.

Sonozuke throws a knife at her and bails with Ruruka.

Turns out Seiko just caught it in her mouth and breaks it with ease. She also moves on all fours now, because sure.

So with those three having their own little chase, we see Koichi watching from above.

He neatly sums up the situation with "well that was a thing", also alludes to them having some sort of history, takes a sip from his flask and heads out because he has a meeting with "that girl".

Kyoko and her posse are also talking about what Makoto just broadcast, with Kazuo basically summing up Makoto as a dyed-in-the-wool optimist who takes leaps of faith in trusting others, even if it sounds insane.

Kyoko seems particularly interested in the monitors. Kazuo asks her if something is troubling her, and she says she'll be fine.

Then, suddenly chair attack!

And who else could it have been but Juzo.

Meanwhile, Makoto and Kyosuke meet in the monitoring room.

Kyosuke deciding to go straight through the glass for intimidation factor, I guess.

The two have an argument over the utility of words and a positive outlook, with Kyosuke basically making GBS threads on Makoto's worldview and stating that his performance in DR1, while inspiring, doesn't mean poo poo compared to the real world, since the game had clear rules, whereas there are no rules in the real world.

Basically, his logic is that the poo poo Future Foundation went through to keep people alive out there is enough to drive someone insane, and words and platitudes can't beat the despair that is out there.

Makoto argues that even if the words are sometimes hollow, they can be filled in, and that words can inspire people to act - that with words, you give hope to others. Kyosuke then, suprisingly, agrees. That if somebody is capable of doing that, it would be Makoto.

...which is why he can't allow Makoto to escape. Kyosuke thinks that if Makoto makes it out alive, he'll convince people that despair can be beaten without bloodshed, and all that will await the people that follow him is more despair. So he can't allow that to happen. Hope, according to him, doesn't belong to those willing to die, but to those willing to kill, and he's ready to kill thousands if it means he can defeat despair.

Kyosuke swings his sword... and we cut to black. We then hear Kyosuke say "how unfortunate - too bad this wasn't a class trial". Yep, we get a sweet-rear end loving cliffhanger. And now, much like when this first aired, we first have to see another episode of Despair Side before we get to resolve this. Fun!

What the gently caress just happened?: Aoi getting killed was a fakeout, instead, Gozu got killed. Makoto's group decides to seek out the monitoring room for Makoto to talk to everybody through the intercom. They reach the room and Makoto tries to explain to everybody why he did the DR2 stuff and tries to get them to trust him. Seiko hulks out with pills and attacks Ruruka and Sonozuke due to some apparent history between them. Juzo attacks Kyoko and her group. Kyosuke finds Makoto in the monitoring room, the two have a philosophy-off over how to deal with despair, and Kyosuke swings his sword at Makoto to end the episode.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 20, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aoi's fakeout death is wack. "Hey, the character you probably cared about lived! And the character you probably cared less about died!"

I hate that kind of thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aoi's fakeout death is wack. "Hey, the character you probably cared about lived! And the character you probably cared less about died!"

I hate that kind of thing.

Man, it might be controversial, but for all I care, kill off Aoi if it means Gozu survives. The motherfucker elbow dropped a hole into a floor to escape! I wanted to see what other crazy poo poo he would end up doing. Like, I just have this image in my head of Gozu suplexing Juzo, and it's amazing. If we're going to make Future Side more action focused, let's get loving serious with it.

But really, this is just Kodaka being a troll. People got pissed over Aoi dying. And then they got pissed over it being a fakeout. Fun times.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, don't get me wrong. Gozu was great. It's just that the show gives you just enough of him to maybe start to like him and then he dies after establishing he's a nice guy. And that feels cheap.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
There's enough info now to start figuring out some of the other forbidden actions, too. Have fun!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Look at our boy Juzo, who just wants to protect his friends and throws chairs.

Also yeah losing Gozu is sad because Gozu is Great. He’d have guarded Makoto by wrestling Kyosuke’s sword away and giving him the Anti-Despair Piledriver.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
This also seems like a good time to remind the viewer that lying about what your Forbidden Action is, or behaving as though you're forbidden to do something even when you're not, is well within the rules.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

My two favourite characters in the Future arc are Bandai (for his absurd design/voice) and BROZU.

Both of them are gone. :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really like Aoi so tbh seeing her die this way would easily make me stop watching this poo poo right there and then.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did aoi have to gain from faking her death like that? The killer would know she hadn't been killed because they hadn't killed her, and everyone else is asleep.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not on my phone now, so I can probably explain what I mean better!

I didn't want Aoi to die at all, no. And one thing I do appreciate that DR3 does is that it does make Aoi seem more mature from how she was in the first game where she was just the nice, dumb girl that liked donuts. So it'd be a waste to off her now, especially after a game where we got to spend a lot of time seeing how Toko grew from DR1.

That being said, I feel like the basic idea of this killing game is to make the audience worried. "Is the cast of DR1 going to make it? Why do they have to do the Killing Game again? It's not fair!" That sort of mentality. So to end an episode with Aoi 'dead' is basically to trigger outrage, only for her to pop up fine the next episode and some new character who only started getting prevalence in the last episode died instead. That the same thing happened with Chisa (and sort of with Bandai) made this particular event start leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Also, Not!Narukami cutting through the glass to enter the room is just :allears:. The man is genuinely incapable of not being 200% at any given time.

And while I can't remember if it was this episode of Future or the next, I do believe it was around this point that the meme that Lord_Magmar was quoting came into existence on 4chan.

Basically, at this point, Juzo has established himself as a complete rear end in a top hat, right? So, naturally, some people on /a/ begin to rally behind him with a post in every thread that starts with "Is there anyone who can even REMOTELY handle our boy Juzo?", complete with a list of accomplishments he's done, such as "punching manlets". It was probably one of the most memorable memes to spawn from the show.

ilmucche posted:

What did aoi have to gain from faking her death like that? The killer would know she hadn't been killed because they hadn't killed her, and everyone else is asleep.

Aoi didn't do it. Someone, likely the killed, poured that on her and left a fake knife as a sick joke for Makoto.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Damnit Hobgoblin now they know I'm a sham and unoriginal, although admittedly that's already been brought up by TheMcD.

Honestly I just like the flow of the meme and think it's still funny.

Kyosuke is great yeah, he's entered 100% edge and he's not backing down without a fight.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Here it is: my third-favorite thing in the entire DR3 anime.

The Mono Lisa.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Bloody Emissary posted:

Here it is: my third-favorite thing in the entire DR3 anime.

The Mono Lisa.

That man stole Vash’s coat

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I still don’t quite grasp how the concepts of hope and despair are used in this series, as if they are religions. This whole thing is a metaphor for Japanese culture demanding exceptional performance, right? So is the hope/despair thing about what that pressure does?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I still don’t quite grasp how the concepts of hope and despair are used in this series, as if they are religions. This whole thing is a metaphor for Japanese culture demanding exceptional performance, right? So is the hope/despair thing about what that pressure does?

I'm not entirely sure myself so I'm kind of spitballing here, but I feel like it might be fair to say that--through this lens--the hope/despair thing being ultimately presented as a false dichotomy plays to the idea of young people being shunted to base their self-worth on a similar success/failure binary.

I don't know how that interacts with what these animes will reveal, but I think that's a fair take on Komaru's and Hajime's arcs in the games.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I will say that DR3 will give us the real answer to the hope/despair conflict. But that's for later.

As it stands, what DR as a whole is about is kind of a crapshoot. Sure, things like the Japanese culture of performance and what it creates is an easy target, but ultimately, I would say assigning a motive to Kodaka is kind of a fool's errand. The guy just does whatever he wants. I'm mostly drawing this from things like there just so happening to be two tanned, sporty, energetic girls with an ample chest and a healthy appetite that both just so happen to survive in DR1 and DR2 (Aoi and Akane, respectively). God only knows if he was intending for a particular metaphor or not.

Here's my take on the idea that this entire thing is a metaphor for the constant demand for perfection and the pressure that brings with it:

The side of despair is entirely made up of broken people. Junko broke because of her ability to predict everything. The Warriors of Hope broke because of their abuse. The Remnants of Despair broke because of... that thing we'll see later in Despair Side. In a larger sense, those that end up on the side of despair willingly (or at least not because of brainwashing) have been chewed up and spit out by the world, and as a result are lashing out against the world in some way (well, except Junko, but she's special). These people have either started acting out of revenge (the Warriors of Hope sans Monaca) or their brains have completely broken in some fashion to end up at this point (Junko, Monaca).

There's some sort of comparison to the current day's excesses of late stage capitalism to be made here, but if I made that, I'd probably end up unironically arguing that Junko was right and start going to university to study robotics, so let's not do that.

Instead, here's my question: If this is a metaphor for elite schools, the constant culture of pressure and all that... then isn't the side of despair the sympathetic one? That would be the side of those that were forced into these schools, unable to deal with what they demand. After all, sure, people talk a big game about Hope's Peak being this super prestigious school and how graduating sets you up for life, but how much of the actual school life have we seen? How many end up flunking out, and what happens to them? Wouldn't being a Hope's Peak dropout be a special kind of failure, potentially even worse than not being there in the first place? The side of despair would also be the side of the average people, constantly told that they're unworthy because they didn't cut the mustard, falling into a depression because of that. Hope's Peak does that itself with the Reserve Course, as we're seeing with Hajime.

So if we are to assume that the central message of DR is "constant pressure to perform and idolization of talent breaks people and is greatly unhealthy", then what are we to make of the fact that the those broken people are in the end defeated by those that aren't broken? Sure, it's a bit weakened by the fact that the ultimate heroes are average guys in Makoto and Hajime, but it's not like they could have done it without the support of other Ultimates.

In the end, hope is the good guys. Despair is the bad guys. Victories for the side of hope perpetuate that very system what would be demonized with this metaphor. This just doesn't click with me.

I'm really not sure Kodaka thought more about this than I have just now. I might be entirely wrong, though. By God, it wouldn't be the first time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You'll notice that after the first Dangan Ronpa makes a big deal about the fact that yes, the Hope/Despair Dichotomy is bullshit. Dangan Ronpa 2 and Ultra Despair Girls both end with the player character rejecting the whole thing together and instead choosing a third option. Hajime chooses building his own future, and accepting both Hope and Despair as parts of life but not as some superior ideal to worship. Komaru is saved by her friends, and ultimately chooses to continue fighting for those she loves.

That's sort of the message, Despair is treated as wrong not because they are broken, but because they're lashing out and hurting others with their pain. Junko is a monster because she wants the world to hurt and suffer as she does. Meanwhile Makoto is the Ultimate Hope because he actually just, cares about other people being healthy and happy and safe.

That's the ultimate goal, this series isn't supporting Hope so much as saying the way Despair according to Junko functions is horrifying, it mostly just supports working towards happiness and helping your friends and being a good person without letting the Success/Failure, Talented/Normal, Hope/Despair dichotomies warp your thinking away from caring about the little people.

The side of Despair is sympathetic because they're broken, but frankly literally every Ultimate from Hope's Peak is broken besides Naegi, because there's a thing where being an Ultimate means your life is pre-defined by what others see of you and not what you want for your future. Leon and his not actually liking Baseball, Kyoko's family problems, Byakuya having to climb over his half-siblings to claim victory; so on and so forth.

Kodaka has a message, and it's honestly one that is fairly simple. It's people are stronger together working towards an equal goal regardless of their individual talents, and talent should not define a person. Which isn't to say Talents aren't useful/helpful/meaningful, but they and success should not be the be all end all of a person.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Quicksilver6 posted:

The weird kinda-religiousness of it is what happens when the games dip into metatextuality of the hope vs. despair discussion and it turns into sort of a mess.

Speaking from how these themes resonated with personal struggles, hope and despair is mostly about positive expectations for the future vs. negative ones. "Despair" is frequently about the mentality where you get extremely overwhelmed by possible bad outcomes, which makes everything in your life feel hopelessly difficult to deal with. (The pressure put on "exceptional" people often induces that mindset.) Hinata's "future" choice in SDR2 is about deliberately choosing not to think about outcomes and taking things as they come, which is an effective way of uncoupling yourself from that kind of negative morass. I'm personally in the process of therapy to help me do that! :toot:

Danganronpa uses extreme consequences (like death, never being able to see your family again, the end of the world, etc.) because that's how normal, everyday struggles feel when you're unequipped to handle them; it simultaneously resonates with the people who struggle with that mindset and allows people who're unfamiliar with the normal version to experience and relate to it.

TheMcD posted:

As it stands, what DR as a whole is about is kind of a crapshoot. Sure, things like the Japanese culture of performance and what it creates is an easy target, but ultimately, I would say assigning a motive to Kodaka is kind of a fool's errand. The guy just does whatever he wants. I'm mostly drawing this from things like there just so happening to be two tanned, sporty, energetic girls with an ample chest and a healthy appetite that both just so happen to survive in DR1 and DR2 (Aoi and Akane, respectively). God only knows if he was intending for a particular metaphor or not.

First off, yeah, lots of things in Danganronpa aren't crafted to feed into the theme. Aoi and Hagakure don't survive for any important reason and don't have real character arcs. One could argue that the lack of narrative importance keeps the victims and murderers unexpected, but like you said, it's hard to tell how much of it was intentional and how much was just including things because they wanted to. What it's all about isn't a crapshoot; the different games deal with different aspects of the whole thing. The messages of UDG and DR3 in particular are...kind of hard to tease out, though. I'm not entirely sure they're even really about the same thing. DR3 might be about the dangers of extremism and lack of forgiveness? Maybe? :shrug:

quote:

The side of despair is entirely made up of broken people. Junko broke because of her ability to predict everything. The Warriors of Hope broke because of their abuse. The Remnants of Despair broke because of... that thing we'll see later in Despair Side. In a larger sense, those that end up on the side of despair willingly (or at least not because of brainwashing) have been chewed up and spit out by the world, and as a result are lashing out against the world in some way (well, except Junko, but she's special). These people have either started acting out of revenge (the Warriors of Hope sans Monaca) or their brains have completely broken in some fashion to end up at this point (Junko, Monaca).

Instead, here's my question: If this is a metaphor for elite schools, the constant culture of pressure and all that... then isn't the side of despair the sympathetic one? That would be the side of those that were forced into these schools, unable to deal with what they demand. After all, sure, people talk a big game about Hope's Peak being this super prestigious school and how graduating sets you up for life, but how much of the actual school life have we seen? How many end up flunking out, and what happens to them? Wouldn't being a Hope's Peak dropout be a special kind of failure, potentially even worse than not being there in the first place? The side of despair would also be the side of the average people, constantly told that they're unworthy because they didn't cut the mustard, falling into a depression because of that. Hope's Peak does that itself with the Reserve Course, as we're seeing with Hajime.

Yes, the struggle against the idolization of hope (or despair) is absolutely sympathetic: there's a reason the Hope's Peak board of directors is shadowy, faceless, and unsympathetic, and why Komaeda is very obviously just as sadly twisted as Junko is. Komaeda, Junko and the Ultimate Despairs are broken and lashing out, like you said. They're an opposite, unhealthy idealization: swinging to the other extreme to cope with the fact that everyone says the thing that's destroying them is a good thing. They also (very importantly) try to drag other people into it and validate themselves, and that's where the "despair = bad guys" thing comes in. Characters give in to despair a lot over the course of a Danganronpa story, and only turn into bad guys when they start harming other people because of it. Even then, every time somebody is driven to murder they're still portrayed in a sympathetic light. (Unless they're the culprit of case 3. :v:)

quote:

So if we are to assume that the central message of DR is "constant pressure to perform and idolization of talent breaks people and is greatly unhealthy", then what are we to make of the fact that the those broken people are in the end defeated by those that aren't broken? Sure, it's a bit weakened by the fact that the ultimate heroes are average guys in Makoto and Hajime, but it's not like they could have done it without the support of other Ultimates.

It's really difficult to get out of that negative mindset without the help of someone who isn't currently stuck in it. Your negative perceptions feed off of the other person's and agree with each other. It's hard to believe in the possibility of good things happening when you know they don't really believe in them either. This is my current, personal experience.

Makoto and Hajime didn't defeat Junko directly, they helped everyone else get out of their hopeless mindset and that's what defeated her. It's not that they couldn't have done it without support, it's that their ability to garner support was the whole point and that defeated Junko's toxic ideology (and metaphorical representation of the unhealthy pessimistic mindset).

quote:

In the end, hope is the good guys. Despair is the bad guys. Victories for the side of hope perpetuate that very system what would be demonized with this metaphor. This just doesn't click with me.

This is what DRV3 is about! :eng101:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also yeah, Dangan Ronpa 2 and in theory Ultra Despair Girls are about how Despair are not the bad guys so much as broken people lashing out who need to be stopped. The bad guys are Junko and Monaca who abuse these broken people and turn them into monsters instead of using their ability to reach people to help them. Even Dangan Ronpa 1 touches on this with Mukuro, who is supposedly Junko's partner in crime but was murdered for fun because Junko is a monster and Mukuro just wants to be there for her sister beyond any reasonable logic.

That's why the Warriors of Hope go free but in potential danger, and why the Ultimate Despairs are allowed to be "saved" because they're victims as much as anyone else is of Junko/Monaca. Like, imagine if Junko had found the Warriors and gotten them away from their abusive parents and actually helped them deal with their trauma, instead of turning them into her "tools".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, we begin our next trip to the Despair Side with Hajime on a computer.

He reads a description of Hope's Peak on their website...

...and basically just has another big mope about how he's not talented.

We now find ourselves in the Reserve Course, where everybody seems to be pretty blue. I don't remember, was this a thing in DR1 or DR2? It was a thing in UDG, but there we had blue for male non-important characters and pink for female non-important characters. Now everybody's blue.

Hajime is still staring wistfully at the main Hope's Peak building and is remembering what Kazuo told him about it being OK to be normal.

He's shaken out of his dreaming by Natsumi. Hajime brings up that her people skills could use some work. She says she meant every word she said when she introduced herself and declares herself the Ultimate Little Sister. She talks about how she's the daughter of a crime lord and that eventually that responsibility is going to fall to her brother, Fuyuhiko. Her logic is basically that if her brother is an Ultimate, that makes her an Ultimate by association.

Hajime isn't really buying it. He asks why she's in the Reserve Course then, and she replies that just because she's not in the Main Course yet doesn't mean she won't be in the future. She also says that she, as opposed to others, hasn't given up on the future yet, which strikes a bit of a chord with Hajime. She then brings up that if somebody else were to drop out, there would be an open slot for her, and brings up a "certain freckle-faced bitch" that comes to mind.

She is then immediately interrupted. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Sato. She tells Natsumi to cut out whatever poo poo she's planning and doesn't buy it at all when Natsumi feigns ignorance. The way they talk makes it seem like they have history, which Hajime points out. Natsumi says Sato was in the photography class at her previous school. So basically, Natsumi, Sato and Mahiru were all at the same school previously.

The two really start getting into each others' faces, with Sato telling Natsumi that if she hurts Mahiru, she'll regret it.

Mahiru shows up and tries to defuse the situation, but it doesn't work. Natsumi starts getting snippy towards Mahiru, then tries to play it off as a joke. Sato isn't buying it and brings up that Mahiru is in the same class as Fuyuhiko, to which Natsumi replies with a "snitches get stitches" and an unsubtle implication that Mahiru will get killed if she pulls that poo poo. I'm starting to see why Sato escalated to straight up murder.

Sato tells Natsumi that she didn't get accepted into the Main Course because she's not special, plain and simple, and that she should get that into her head. The two then almost proceed to come to blows...

...but Mahiru just grabs Sato and runs out.

The two have a bit of a chat, Mahiru talks about having some problems with her photography in that the pictures she takes are just of whatever, but Sato cheers her up with some encouraging words, and they have a bit of a moment.

Meanwhile, Fuyuhiko and Peko have a chat about Natsumi. Fuyuhiko says that Natsumi's always been crazy and that there's no telling what she could pull. Peko offers to find out for him, which Fuyuhiko immediately rejects, saying that the gang retired her and that he brought this topic up specifically so she doesn't go out and do something she'll regret.

Then Ibuki shows up, being all Ibuki and breaking the conversation up, since the other two go to great pains to not interact together where the others can see it.

We then cut to Hajime and Chiaki meeting up to play games. Hajime gets beaten by her, and Chiaki notices his focus isn't there and asks him if something happened. He answers by asking her if she would still play video games if she was bad at them - if somebody else were the Ultimate Gamer who constantly left her scores in the dust. Chiaki replies by basically repeating what we've had before - talent isn't the important part. She talks about how Chisa always tells them that talent isn't a guarantee of an interesting life - making memories with other people is what leads to hope. And hope is way more important than talent. Hajime seems to take this to heart and thinks that maybe things are looking up.

Back to the Reserve Course. Hajime notices another argument between Natsumi and Sato and listens in. Sato talks about how even if Natsumi's father can buy her a place in the Reserve Course, he could never buy her talent, and even if, Mahiru would always be better. Natsumi says Sato is just lovesick and trails after Mahiru like toilet paper on a shoe.

Sato wants to hit Natsumi, but Hajime interferes and stops her. Natsumi makes a comment about Sato having signed her death warrant and runs away, with Hajime running after her.

Sato then talks to herself about how she always knew Natsumi was evil and she swears on her life that she'll protect Mahiru, no matter what.

Hajime catches up with Natsumi and admonishes her for threatening Sato like that. Natsumi blows him off as just some rando from the Reserve Course, to which Hajime says that if Hope's Peak catches wind of what she just did, she will not just not get scouted, but get expelled completely.

This strikes a chord with Natsumi, who declares that she has to get into the Main Course, no matter what. Hajime asks why it means so much to her, and Natsumi basically gives the answer of "my brother is an Ultimate and now I, as a not-Ultimate, feel inadequate", just more emotional.

Hajime remembers what Chiaki said to him earlier and tries to use that on Natsumi, and suggests that regardless of whether she's an Ultimate or not, why doesn't she just stay with her brother and make memories with him? Natsumi rebuts that because her brother is an Ultimate, he deserves the best, including the people around him, so she can only be together with him again if she is an Ultimate too.

The next day, Hajime is still thinking about that "deserve the best, including the people around them" part.

However, he arrives at the Reserve Course building to find that the police is there. Why is the police there?

Because Sato did the deed and murdered Natsumi.

We cut to Fuyuhiko identifying the body...

...and Peko punching the wall, blaming herself for this. Fun fact! It hasn't come up before this, I believe, but blood is pink here in Despair Side, as is the norm in Danganronpa, but for some reason, blood is red in Future Side. There were many theories about this - my favorite being that Future Side would turn out to be an in-universe TV show and that's why the blood isn't the color it would be in the "real world" of DR, a sort of double censorship. That isn't the case. I think the reason it was made this way is that Future Side is really dark. Like, not thematically, but the actual imagery, taking place in a building that has largely lost power. I guess pink blood would clash too much. Anyway...

...we next cut to Hajime moping in the park. There, he listens in on...

...Mahiru and Sato. Mahiru is questioning Sato about what happened yesterday. Her silence tells Mahiru all she needs to know. Sato says that she had to watch the light leave her eyes, and how could she just sit and wait until Natsumi springs her trap on Mahiru - if Natsumi hadn't died, she would've had Mahiru killed.

To reinforce that notion, she shows Mahiru an old scar. In middle school, Mahiru and Natsumi got into an argument and Sato jumped in to stop it. Later that night, someone attacked Sato and gave her that scar. Mahiru then asks if Sato killed Natsumi and Sato denies it, saying she couldn't hurt a fly and that she only said those things to scare her off. I'm not 100% sure if something got lost in translation here, because the previous part really sounded like she was tacitly admitting to killing her, and also, it wasn't Sato, but Natsumi that always brought up the idea of somebody getting murdered.

Anyway, Mahiru leaves and Hajime decides to talk to Sato. He brings up that Natsumi is dead, and people saw her threaten Sato. Sato denies killing her, and brings up that Natsumi was Yakuza, so of course she was going to die young, or maybe she killed herself because she couldn't stand another day being talentless.

Hajime however knows that Natsumi still had hope for the future from their talk yesterday.

Sato then just freaks out and runs away.

Back in class, Sato's place is now empty. She would not show up that day, or the next, or the next. The day after that, they found her body.

Hajime wants to head to the main building to find Mahiru and ask her something, but he's accosted by security because that's against the rules. They have a literal caste system to uphold after all.

When Hajime continues to make overtures at walking over the magical line that separates the main from the reserve, another security guy shows up and just throws him on his rear end. And who is that other security guy?

Why, it's our old friend Juzo! He's the head of security at Hope's Peak right now!

Hajime asks him for the truth regarding the deaths of Natsumi and Sato.

Juzo tells him to hold on to his rear end and gives him "the truth": Natsumi was killed by an unknown intruder, and Sato died from the shock of losing a class mate.

Hajime isn't buying it and declares that just a cover-up to save the name of the academy. Juzo retorts that there's a waiting list for the Reserve Course and that those desks will be filled before those bodies are even cold.

Hajime gets pissed at that and tries to take a swing at Juzo, which is a bad idea for several reasons.

One of which being that your chances of success are, uh, relatively slim.

Juzo proceeds to just verbally poo poo all over Hajime and the rest of the Reserve Course as basically being nothing but cash cows that bring the name of Hope's Peak down, that their lives are inherently worth less than those with talent. That they're just supposed to shut up and take it, accept that they're inferior to their masters and just slave away for them. He also spits on Hajime at one point.

That really pisses Hajime off, who out of sheer rage just tries to take another swing at Juzo, actually connecting this time. That then really pisses Juzo off, who is prepared to send Hajime to the hospital for that.

He takes a swing, and...

Suddenly, Chisa! Juzo straight up stops in his tracks. She notices that Hajime is bleeding and offers him her handkerchief.

He proceeds to slap it out of her hand and run away.

That gives Chisa a lot to think about, seeing as she's implied to just sit there until sunset. Note that the credits are rolling - this episode doesn't get dedicated credits, as it seems they just had too much to cram into this one.

Juzo asks her if she's forgotten their objective that Kyosuke gave them - to investigate the "dark side" of Hope's Peak. He says there's no reason to stick up for Reserve Course burnouts along the way. Chisa just says that beating up a student is inacceptable regardless of their mission. Juzo acquiesces, then continues to talk about Hope's Peak, saying that Kyosuke had it right when he said the academy has a sickness. The coverup for that murder incident by the academy is working, and all the teachers are shifting into damage control.

Chisa has been told to downplay it to the class if it comes up, which, uh, might not go well, given who's in that class.

Juzo is pissed off that the academy is just covering their asses instead of stepping up in a crisis. Chisa asks why he then beat up Hajime if he ultimately agrees with him, and Juzo replies that if Hajime comes closer to the truth, he'll just be the next one on the slab in the morgue, which is a legitimate point. The two agree that the academy has gone to hell, and that Kyosuke is its only hope...

...which then prompts Chisa to imply that Juzo wants to steal Kyosuke away from her.

Juzo doesn't have much to say about that. As Chisa walks off, Juzo says that she was acting like a real teacher, defending Hajime like that.

Meanwhile, Chiaki has been waiting for Hajime to show up - she bought a new game and wants to play it with him, but Hajime turns her down, saying there's somewhere important he needs to be. As he leaves, she tells him to wait, but can't spit out what she wants to say. Instead, Hajime asks her if she's making memories at Hope's Peak. She says she thinks so, and Hajime says that she should make a lot of memories for him and that there's a lot more to her than just the Ultimate Gamer.

As he leaves, we get some internal monologue from him. Basically, when he met Chiaki, he wanted to be able to say that he has some sort of talent, but he's empty.

And you can't take something empty and fill it.

We then cut to a meeting between Kazuo, Jin and Koichi. We find out that Hajime has agreed to the procedure. Koichi and Kazuo both don't think it's a good idea, but they can't do anything about it anymore.

And our final shot is Hajime appearing before the shadowy committee and declaring that he has come to a decision.

Also, like somebody else pointed out, Despair Side has its title cards at the end. That's it for this episode. Next time, it'll be the fourth episode of Future Side, which is a very special episode! Now doesn't that just fill you with excitement?

What the gently caress just happened?: Hajime mopes about his lack of talent. Sato, Natsumi and Mahiru have a fight with implications of murder in the Reserve Course class. Chiaki tries to get Makoto to not mope about his lack of talent. Sato and Natsumi have another fight with implications of murder. Natsumi then gets unceremoniously murdered. Hajime figures Sato has at least something to do with the murder, then Sato gets murdered. He tries to go to the Main Course to talk with Mahiru, but gets stopped by Juzo, who beats him up and gives him the cover-up story. Chisa and Juzo have a talk about Hope's Peak going to poo poo and Kyosuke trying to save it. Hajime decides to undergo the Izuru experiment.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 20, 2019

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Fun fact: Juzo's eyes are red in Future Side and pink in Despair Side. His eyes are literally blood-coloured :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In Japan, there was a different line that became a meme rather than the "hold on to your rear end" thing.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Juzo is made of good decisions.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Solitair posted:

Juzo is made of good decisions.

Look at our boy Juzo be the hero we need. Beating up a teenager to keep him away from getting hurt even worse and even (accidentally) convincing him to help the school in it’s mission.

Anyway, I do like that because Hajime is legitimately an intelligent person even without any sort of Talent he manages to pay attention and workout parts of the murder combo that just went down.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I know it's technically an ensemble class, but I actually really dig Hajime as side character quite a bit. His I didn't expect his whole rational, detective shtick to translate well to an anime, but it is super fun to see it get played out from a more third party angle than the games allowed, even for a single episode. I really hope Izuru brings a fun dynamic to replace that, though. I didn't really like that twist in the game

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

mycelia posted:

Fun fact: Juzo's eyes are red in Future Side and pink in Despair Side. His eyes are literally blood-coloured :allears:

Well I'll be damned.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyway, I do like that because Hajime is legitimately an intelligent person even without any sort of Talent he manages to pay attention and workout parts of the murder combo that just went down.

To be fair, he did basically stumble into:

- learning that Natsumi and Sato hate each other
- hearing Natsumi threatening both Mahiru and Sato with murder
- hearing Sato very suspiciously talk about Natsumi's murder to Mahiru

Not that he didn't have to use some brains to figure poo poo out, but he did fall face-first into some clues without any skill of his own.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Hajime and Mahiru are two of my favourite Danganronpa characters, and I was stoked when he tried to get into the main course building to talk to her and then bitterly disappointed when he was prevented (thanks, Juzo). I don't think they even exchanged any words when they were both in the same scene earlier on! The lack of Hajime interacting with people from Chisa's class (other than Chiaki) is generally a bit of a shame, although I suppose Hajime feeling isolated might be necessary for him to make his eventual decision.

Hajime's interactions with Natsumi are interesting, at least. I don't know what it's like in the dub, but I loved their first meeting in the subs I watched:

Natsumi: I bet you have no friends! Not that I do either.
Hajime: Well, no, not if you say hello like that.

It's tragic that Hajime, who doesn't really seem to have any friends in the Reserve Course, starts to understand and connect with Natsumi a tiny bit after their initial hostility, just enough to be cut up over her death.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As we begin the fourth episode of Future Side, Monokuma treats us to a recap for some reason!

It also has this tidbit, which is amazing.

With the recap and opening skipped, we begin with chair thrower Juzo and Kyoko's gang.

Kazuo steps forward and asks if it isn't a bit soon to be resorting to violence. Juzo replies that if Makoto is with the Remnants, his buddies must be too, so they all need to be dealt with. Kazuo says that maybe Juzo should listen to reason, and Juzo basically tells Kazuo to gently caress off with that poo poo, he doesn't take his orders from Kazuo anyway, but from Kyosuke.

Juzo throws the other chair, but misses, hitting an exposed water pipe instead.

So Juzo instead charges Kazuo, throwing his coat at him for some reason...

...and also he's suddenly behind Kazuo somehow? He kicks him in the back, anyway.

He then grabs the chair and wants to smack the gently caress out of Kyoko, which prompts Ryota to run in and kind of ineffectually attempt to do something. He gets smacked away, landing on Kyoko in the process...

...to be precise, landing right on one of her feet, which can't help. So of course, with Juzo now standing above the two, chair in hand...

...we switch scenes to Sonozuke and Ruruka being chased down by Seiko.

Sonozuke apparently has exploding knives that got stuck in the wall with the intent of blowing up Seiko...

...but it doesn't work.

Meanwhile, Aoi and Miaya get spooked by the explosions and head to find cover, with Miaya displaying some drat impressive traction with that wheelchair.

Meanwhile meanwhile, Juzo is still standing with that chair raised. Don't try to reason out how this poo poo works on a timeline. But then, Juzo notices something behind him.

A needle shooting straight at him! He manages to dodge it.

And as a figure emerges from the fog, we find that we are witnesses of the rare instant archetype shift.

Kazuo has now decided to whip out the "secret badass old man" type.

He gets a chair thrown at him...

...but somehow seems to slow time or has inhuman reaction times or something like that to the point where he just casually stops it...

...and sends it screaming back in Juzo's direction.

He makes a move towards Juzo, who attempts to punch him, but suddenly stops, giving room for Kazuo to taunt him...

...and then elbow the poo poo out of him, sending Juzo flying and knocking him out.

So yeah, I don't think anybody expected that to happen.

And then he's right back to his old type, cracking his back with a "young people today...".

Juzo then gets tied up so he can't follow them anymore.

Aoi and Miaya then find Kyoko's group, leading to a happy reunion. Aoi asks Kyoko if she's hurt, to which Kyoko replies that it's nothing.

This sets Ryota off on a self-loathing bit, with him saying that he's sorry, and that whenever he tries to help anyone, he just causes them more pain, and how he can't be like Makoto.

Kyoko and Aoi cheer him up by saying that he doesn't have to be like Makoto, he just has to be himself, and reminding him of when he also stepped up for Aoi when Juzo was about to beat her up. Then, they are interrupted by Kyosuke speaking on the intercom!

Turns out he only captured Makoto instead of straight up Highlandering him, as one might have assumed. He announces that he's on the verge of executing Makoto, which has Aoi freaking out. Kyoko declares it an obvious trap, but also says that she's going to go and talk with Kyosuke, since there must be a reason he hasn't killed Makoto yet, so there should be room to negotiate.

However, Kazuo then declares that he'll be going.

Next, we cut to Makoto. As a side note, there's occasionally this type of shot coming from above through some sort of implied hole in the ceiling. This was the subject of so much debate back when this first aired, with the idea being that there was somebody else in the building that would turn out to be the attacker, that kind of stuff. I can just say now, this is a complete and utter red herring. The only reason it's here is to gently caress with people.

Anyway, Makoto awakes to the sight of a katana.

The two talk. Kyosuke tells Makoto he's using him as bait - whoever tries to rescue him is obviously not to be trusted. Kyosuke also brings up a new line of thinking by asking Makoto what the most terrifying outcome for this game is. Makoto takes the simple answer - everybody getting killed. But Kyosuke has actually thought this through a bit more. See, there's nothing in the rules that says the attacker can't just stop killing. So Kyosuke sets up this scenario:

Imagine the game would end after Kyosuke was killed. People would assume that Kyosuke was the attacker. But like he just pointed out, that doesn't have to be the case. So instead, the attacker leaves with the rest of the survivors and is hailed as a hero that defeated despair. Essentially, it's the exact same scenario that he earlier accused Makoto of being involved in with the events of DR1.

So with Kyosuke, the presumptive next-in-line, dead, and Kazuo old, it would seem obvious that Future Foundation would rally around Makoto as its leader - the guy that now survived not one, but two killing games of despair. This will lead to the enemies' control over the foundation being all but absolute, with the attacker, as one of the survivors, using Makoto to entrench themselves in the foundation's leadership. So Kyosuke declares that Makoto and all those that would try to use him must be killed. Makoto retorts that that would just mean he would have to kill everybody.

Kyosuke... doesn't really fight the point, basically just declaring that while people die, what he created at Future Foundation will endure. Makoto calls him mad, and Kyosuke just asks if Junko was defeated without sacrifice, to which Makoto has no answer.

Kyosuke then finds his katana shot out of his hand.

The cavalry has arrived.

Of course, we then cut to Kyoko walking somewhere.

We get a brief flashback of some additional things Kazuo said we didn't see originally. The main gist is that he's taking the job of defusing the Makoto situation because Kyoko has another job she is well suited for. The gang splits up with Ryota accompanying Kyoko, and Aoi and Miaya accompanying Kazuo.

So Kyoko makes her way back to the meeting room where it all started...

...only to run into Koichi. He says that in a situation like this, the best place to be is with a world-class sleuth.

So I suppose he figured he'd be most likely to run into the Ultimate Detective by staying where the corpses are, since Kyoko would want to take a closer look at them.

Meanwhile, back in the monitoring room, Kazuo implies the reason Kyosuke is the way he is is because of his love of Chisa, then uses his needle shooting thing - whatever it is - to lay down suppressive fire...

...which allows Aoi to grab Makoto and bring him to safety.

Kazuo tells the others to get somewhere safe, he can hold his own. He also expresses his full confidence in Makoto, saying there's no doubt in his mind that he is the Ultimate Hope, and that he leaves the others in his hands.

Back in the meeting room, Ryota asks Kyoko about what kind of person comes up with something like the killing game. Kyoko has no answer because there's not enough information to go on.

Somewhere else, Juzo spotted Aoi, Makoto and Miaya and gives chase.

While following them, he spots Kazuo and Kyosuke, who have been moving through the building during their fight, and wants to help Kyosuke, who just tells him to not get involved and follow Makoto instead. Juzo acquiesces.

Again somewhere else, Ruruka and Sonosuke are trying to block a door in order to keep themselves away from Seiko.

It doesn't really work. Ruruka tries to play the nostalgia card, bringing up to Seiko that they used to be best friends. Seiko throws it right back in her face, declaring that best friends don't let each other get expelled from Hope's Peak - so seems like that's what's driving the beef between these two, Ruruka apparently got Seiko expelled in some way. Sonosuke then brings up that he and Ruruka got expelled too, and probably got a lot more flak than Seiko did. She doesn't really care. Ruruka and Sonosuke then continue running.

Back at the main fight scene, Kazuo manages to catch Kyosuke's katana and straight up throws him with it.

The two proceed to have a philosophy-off, with Kazuo declaring Kyosuke both cynical and naive, a combination that will cost lives. Kyosuke continues his "drat the torpedoes" approach of all casualties being acceptable in destroying despair, and that sacrifices need to be made. Kazuo then asks if Chisa was one of those sacrifices, which sets Kyosuke off and has him charging Kazuo...

...who then proceeds to just straight block his katana like he don't give a gently caress and throw Kyosuke off the walkway with himself.

Back with Makoto's gang, Aoi, who is out of breath, thinks they've ran far enough to be safe, but Miaya says that someone is following them, but she says she'll take care of it, declaring that Makoto's positive outlook has rubbed off on her and that Makoto and Aoi should have a little faith in their soulmate. She also says that her body is ready.

So Juzo gets to run into Miaya. Now, how is a wheelchair-bound girl going to fight an Ultimate Boxer?

With MOTHERFUCKING WHEELCHAIR ROCKET LAUNCHERS!

Juzo did not see that coming.

Back with Kazuo and Kyosuke, the fall seems to have left Kazuo in a bit of a worse state than he probably expected, being impaled and all.

Kyosuke, meanwhile, has survived it rather well. Kyosuke talks about how he completely misjudged Kazuo as just some old guy that did basically nothing, leaving Kyosuke to shoulder most of the burden, and that he had been ready to kill Kazuo for quite some time, but now that Kazuo showed his fangs, Kyosuke had a change of heart and wants to know what's going on in Kazuo's head.

Meanwhile, Juzo has survived being shot with rocket launchers.

Miaya announces that she will now use her seven secret weapons and begins to announce her first one.

Alas, Juzo isn't stupid and takes the opportunity to knock Miaya over with a kick. Figuring she's dealt with, he leaves.

We then take a close look at Miaya's eyes.

Close enough to see that her pupil is capable of growing and shrinking like a camera would, with the appropriate sound effect.

And somewhere else, there is a girl that is viewing that camera. She complains about this turn of events...

...and about having to reboot. Now, who would have a keyboard with a Monokuma return key?

Iiiiiit's Monaca! And on that, we end the episode. So, this reveal was a lot of fun to see unfold live. A few notes:

- You can't immediately tell that it's Monaca even though the VA in the dub is the same. The reason being that she actually has two distinct voices - a "normal" voice that doesn't sound like the one from UDG, and the one from UDG, which is higher-pitched and now sounds fake compared to her "normal" voice. I actually like this a lot - essentially implying that all this time, Monaca has been putting on a fake voice to sound even more innocent and harmless, only letting her real voice come through when she's hiding god knows where and is only talking to herself - though she does fall back into the fake voice regularly.

- There was a fair bit of talk about Miaya being Monaca the moment the characters were revealed. Though people were more thinking along the lines of Miaya actually being Monaca, not Miaya being a robot controlled by Monaca. I suppose the generally similar look, the fact that she's wheelchair-bound and only speaks through a computer program were enough red flags.

- There was also a fair bit of different talk after this reveal. Basically, there was a lot of this going on:

Not a lot of people had played UDG at that point in time - it was a Vita-exclusive spinoff that wasn't well received, so a lot of people just skipped it without giving a second thought to it, which led to a lot of people being confused who this green haired girl is and why other people (like me) were so excited about her showing up. I'll admit, I was super happy when this happened. There was a realistic chance that DR3 could just entirely ignore UDG, since its story doesn't have too much of an impact on the bigger picture beyond setting up Monaca as Junko II, and even that could be entirely ignored by just making Junko the mastermind again by way of some other bullshit reason why she's still around. So this was a genuine surprise to me.

Anyway, that's it for this episode of Future Side. Next time, back to Despair Side, where things are starting to take a turn for the dark.

What the gently caress just happened?: Seiko continues to attack Ruruka and Sonozuke, and we get some backstory. Juzo continues attacking Kyoko and her group, but is stopped when Kazuo suddenly turns super badass. Kyosuke turns out to have captured Makoto to use him as bait. Kazuo attacks Kyosuke, allowing Aoi and Miaya to rescue Makoto and flee. In fighting Kyosuke, Kazuo ended up impaled on some debris, but Kyosuke is no longer interested in killing Kazuo. Juzo chases Makoto and ends up facing off with Miaya. He knocks Miaya over, and it's revealed she is a robot that is being controlled by Monaca.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 20, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Why are the remnants even bothering with the killing game pretense this time? Everyone locked in that building is pretty gungho on murdering each other without any prompting required,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

- Juzo apparently loves puns, calling Tengan "Mr. Chairman" while chucking the chair at him. He had a similarly good line last episode to Chisa where he says that "He's not gunning for a piece" when it comes to Not!Narukami.

- Tengan suddenly deciding to gently caress Juzo up was a surprise. But this is anime and he's an old man, so I should've seen it coming.

- Are you having fun at your pity party, Ryota?

- A character that was just out of view the whole time being the culprit? What kind of mystery series would use a dumb twist like that?

- I know Kyosuke is kind of being set up as this unreasonable and ostentatious dick, but he makes solid points. I thought it when this came out and I still think it now.

- Tengan's weapon is a Chinese sleeve arrow, I think.

- Tengan asking why Kyosuke is mad about Chisa dying if he's okay with sacrifices was a pretty sick comeback.

- Monaca! You may recall that "Miaya" also did not show Naegi her bracelet. However, I don't remember if she's actually lying about her Forbidden Action. :v: