Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Take the old job. Start looking for new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One of my previous coworkers does sysadmin work in the cloud. He recently moved into my area and because we have kids the same age we have hung out considerably more outside of work than ever before.

I have recently learned that he is working two jobs remotely, at the same time. One is with a previous employer of mine as a cloud admin. Decent gig with decent pay. The other is a poo poo paying one with a company from the east coast that is paying him 60k to also be a cloud admin. He would be working 3 but one gig laid him off.

I have often thought about doing exactly this but never pulled the trigger on it. Obviously there issue is a issue with ethics, but who is exactly the victim? Seems riskier than what I would want to deal with but somehow seems a lot more doable than what I have imagined.

If I didn't make the kind of money I make now and I was just an admin I feel like I would be doing the exact same thing.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sickening posted:

One of my previous coworkers does sysadmin work in the cloud. He recently moved into my area and because we have kids the same age we have hung out considerably more outside of work than ever before.

I have recently learned that he is working two jobs remotely, at the same time. One is with a previous employer of mine as a cloud admin. Decent gig with decent pay. The other is a poo poo paying one with a company from the east coast that is paying him 60k to also be a cloud admin. He would be working 3 but one gig laid him off.

I have often thought about doing exactly this but never pulled the trigger on it. Obviously there issue is a issue with ethics, but who is exactly the victim? Seems riskier than what I would want to deal with but somehow seems a lot more doable than what I have imagined.

If I didn't make the kind of money I make now and I was just an admin I feel like I would be doing the exact same thing.

I think for me biggest issue would be scheduling, especially if both jobs are not aware that you have the other. "Uhhh I can't be in that meeting because... stuff". Guessing there aren't a lot of commitments like that for this guy?

I do consulting work through a company I used to work for (an MSP that pulls me in when there's work outside the scope of what their staff knows) as my side hustle, but they are aware of my "day job" and know I'm unavailable during those work hours. Thankfully I live in Arizona yet work East coast hours with my normal job so I get afternoons and after hours for the MSP stuff.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'd be worried about some exigent situation occurring with both employers simultaneously, though I realize that that likelihood is low and there are ways to keep appearances when you work remotely.

I guess if that situation were to come up you just prioritize based on which one you'd rather not lose if it came to that.

You'd also have to ensure neither employer had unreasonable expectations on after-hours/on-call work.

Does seem pretty harmless if he continues to provide what both employers are paying for, regardless.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've done it, outside of conflicting conference calls it's pretty easy. My favorite was being on a conference call for company 1 while being 90 feet in the air in a scissor lift for the other. Also making GBS threads my pants because gently caress scissor lifts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sepist posted:

I just got confirmation that the 10% contractor pay cut is coming from so high up that there will be 0 exceptions to it regardless of who is prepared to walk away.

My boss is willing to compromise with me by allowing me to work an additional day from home so itll be 2 days at home 3 days onsite but I know the onsite demands will not make this realistic.

My other option is to convert my ad-hoc contract with my previous job into a 40 hour contract which cuts my commute down to 20 minutes from 1 1/2 hours each way and I will be earning more. They have been kind of begging me to come back. It does kind of feel like I'm going back to an ex-girlfriend though.

Alternatively I can find employment elsewhere through the 3rd party that manages my current contract with $big_bank and see if they can find a place that will match my current rate.

Why did you leave your old company? If there wasn't anything bad about it but this new one seemed better, go back. The difference is an ex-girlfriend wouldn't take you back when you left her for a richer, hotter woman.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why did you leave your old company? If there wasn't anything bad about it but this new one seemed better, go back. The difference is an ex-girlfriend wouldn't take you back when you left her for a richer, hotter woman.

Sales was also management and was driving the company into the ground. After I left they brought in a COO and a real executive director and it seems to have made the place less crazy

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Does anyone have a recommendation for Twitter wall software?

My company's going to be showing a live stream of a presentation and wants relevant tweets showing in one of the side rooms. Looks like there's a million options but I've not got time to test them all out.

No particular problem paying for a good solution, but it'll probably only be used for this or maybe very occasionally for other things, so a subscription service or something really expensive is probably not what I'm after.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This. It's all or nothing. Everybody can or nobody can.

ITS is not allowed to work from home*
*except when they really need something from you and you better answer your phone and do it right then even though you're not on call

Literally every other department is, with the exception of emergency personnel during an emergency.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I realized the other day that I've basically been on call like 90% of my adult life. Like... by hour. Ooof. I never used to mind, but that fact is starting to weigh on me as I get older.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ITS is not allowed to work from home*
*except when they really need something from you and you better answer your phone and do it right then even though you're not on call

Literally every other department is, with the exception of emergency personnel during an emergency.

Yeah it's stuff like this that makes me hold the unreasonable stance of "all or nothing". I realize it over simplifies the problem, but I am yet to hear a decent argument from any manager as to why WFH is satanism.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

I realized the other day that I've basically been on call like 90% of my adult life. Like... by hour. Ooof. I never used to mind, but that fact is starting to weigh on me as I get older.

I'm starting to get testy about it too, like unreasonably so.
I mean look I've been on-call in some capacity for every IT job I've had since I graduated college.
Not ONCE has any other job, in any other field, asked me to be this accessible even when I probably should have been...

Yet every IT job I've ever had, people have no qualms waking me up at 2am for some dumb bullshit REGULARLY.
This is only compounded by the fact that I literally cannot take vacation without worrying about being blamed for whatever the gently caress goes wrong while I'm gone.
Or worse, I get called while I'm on vacation to fix stupid poo poo that my boss' don't know how to fix and everyone who used to know quit out of frustration with my boss'.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

He’s almost starting up his own MSP without his customers even knowing. Kinda impressive

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm starting to get testy about it too, like unreasonably so.
I mean look I've been on-call in some capacity for every IT job I've had since I graduated college.
Not ONCE has any other job, in any other field, asked me to be this accessible even when I probably should have been...

Yet every IT job I've ever had, people have no qualms waking me up at 2am for some dumb bullshit REGULARLY.
This is only compounded by the fact that I literally cannot take vacation without worrying about being blamed for whatever the gently caress goes wrong while I'm gone.
Or worse, I get called while I'm on vacation to fix stupid poo poo that my boss' don't know how to fix and everyone who used to know quit out of frustration with my boss'.

“No laptop on me, hoss. Find another person to figure it out.”

“OOO: I’m on vacation with no access to email or phone.”

U deserve it for being the only source of knowledge :smug:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pro vacation tip: Go out of the country. Or at least say you are

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

George H.W. oval office posted:

Pro vacation tip: Go out of the country. Or at least say you are
This.
At my last job, I was part of a 2 person "team." I was the junior person; my boss was the director. She was infamously out of pocket whenever she was on vacation or if it was a Friday (her "work from home" day.) It didn't matter WHAT happened, she wasn't answering any calls, emails...nothing. She nearly always vacationed overseas. Drove me loving crazy, but I respected the gall.

After years of putting out fires and holding that place together, I ended up getting recruited by a software company and couldn't leave fast enough.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

betterinsodapop posted:

This.
At my last job, I was part of a 2 person "team." I was the junior person; my boss was the director. She was infamously out of pocket whenever she was on vacation or if it was a Friday (her "work from home" day.) It didn't matter WHAT happened, she wasn't answering any calls, emails...nothing. She nearly always vacationed overseas. Drove me loving crazy, but I respected the gall.

After years of putting out fires and holding that place together, I ended up getting recruited by a software company and couldn't leave fast enough.

So they’re unavailable when they’re on PTO. Sounds like they know how to work. I’m fine with on call but if I’m on pto I’m not answering your calls because I’m not a pussy. Being unavailable when you’re wfh on the other hand is annoying

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Are you all talking about jobs where you have to be on-call sometimes, or all the time?

The former, yeah, I guess I've basically spent my entire working life in on-call rotations. Which thankfully haven't been too onerous overall. The latter... I had one job where I was the only sysadmin on call 24x365. It was a small business of course, so they demanded 3-4 nines of availability but funded maybe one nine. So I was getting paged all the drat time.

Never. Again. Lasted about a year, realized it had destroyed my social and family life. I was having literal nightmares about work and my boss. I spent multiple major holidays dealing with what should have been preventable crises. Took the first lifeline I could out of there and my life and career are so much the better for it.

If you're stuck in a constant on-call hell, that is not normal or healthy. Get what experience you can from the job, then bounce and don't look back.

edit

betterinsodapop posted:

This.

The "totally out of pocket on vacation" part is normal and good, not gall. That is what we should all be striving for. But as a manager it's also her responsibility to make sure of a few things. Her team (you, in this case) should be trained to confidently cover all those issues she is not handling. If the team can't handle her absence, that's on her to fix first. And you should be able to do the same, peace out for an extended time with no connection back to work and no reprisal when you come back. Sounds like your boss (and probably her boss, and so on) sucked, and grats on finding a way better gig!

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 13, 2019

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just spilled half of a beer into my keyboard and laptop. Guess it's time to stop working.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Are you all talking about jobs where you have to be on-call sometimes, or all the time?

I'm talking about being on call all the time, which is why I joked about by hour. I started my career at a big company that had a rotation, but poo poo was hosed and I ended up being on call for like 6 months straight. After that, smaller teams where I was the most experienced or knowledgeable, or was managing where if the poo poo hit the fan it was still on me. I'm always happy to teach folks new things but I've been at places where I'm generally the subject matter expert on most things.

I'm lucky these days, I though. I work for a place that doesn't expect support on dumb stuff after hours and I have control and budget to design a system that has great uptime. I can't remember the last time I got woken up to a call. Has to be at least 4 years or so.

Still, the specter is always there. Drunk, high, on vacation, family emergency. Always a chance.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We've got someone leaving for a better job after 6 months in his current role. I'm super happy for him because it means he's gonna get paid more and not have to deal with my idiot bosses bullshit.

On the other hand my boss is freaking out and making sure that I learn everything he has done since he has been there and document everything.

Today we did a skype meeting so he could teach me all about the Asterisk PBX that I BUILT AND CONFIGURED.

Also, he's a goon so,
If you're reading this, I'm sorry for playing dumb and wasting hours of your time but trust me it's better for both of us that I don't have to remind my boss that I know how to do my job.
I will admit though it's really nice to have someone whose sole purpose at this point it to write wiki articles about all the poo poo I never had time to.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm talking about being on call all the time, which is why I joked about by hour.

Still, the specter is always there. Drunk, high, on vacation, family emergency. Always a chance.

Goondolences. Obviously this is way easier said than done, but, please try to fix that. Being on-call takes a huge mental toll even when it seems unlikely you'll get paged. You can't ever fully relax as you said. That voice in the back of your head is always saying "WHAT IF THE CRON FAILS" or "WHAT IF THE SVP OF DUMBASS BULLSHIT CAN'T PROPERLY LINK GOATSE FROM HIS SPACEX FLIGHT WHILE TYPING UP MY SEVERANCE PAPERS".

There are good jobs out there that don't require 24x7 on-call. You also sound senior enough that you could maybe even create such a job for yourself by training or hiring underlings :unsmith:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We've got someone leaving for a better job after 6 months in his current role. I'm super happy for him because it means he's gonna get paid more and not have to deal with my idiot bosses bullshit.

On the other hand my boss is freaking out and making sure that I learn everything he has done since he has been there and document everything.

Today we did a skype meeting so he could teach me all about the Asterisk PBX that I BUILT AND CONFIGURED.

Also, he's a goon so,
If you're reading this, I'm sorry for playing dumb and wasting hours of your time but trust me it's better for both of us that I don't have to remind my boss that I know how to do my job.
I will admit though it's really nice to have someone whose sole purpose at this point it to write wiki articles about all the poo poo I never had time to.

:lol:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's pretty much the spot I'm in too as well. Almost 11 years with my company, we were bought out a bit over 3 years ago and we never fully integrated. I'm still maintaining our own datacenter and we aren't staffed up enough to really properly support it. Again, fortunately it is exceedingly stable, but the toll is there.

I do have some light though, we'll be migrating and integrating into the corporate DC soon at which point I won't be on the hook 24/7 for at least the infrastructure piece anymore.

I'm still the subject mater expert for our application as far as troubleshooting goes. The dev teams, most of which have been there longer than me, don't have the breadth of knowledge. Corporate has DBAs, but they are mostly the "maintain indexes" type of DBAs rather than "deep dive and here's how some obscure thing is loving over the app DBAs." I'm about the only one that's capable of looking at the whole cohesive hole and running down a problem to its root cause.

I'm hoping to pivot into a system architect role within the company after we complete our migration at which point I'll be mostly in the implementation of new technologies rather than the long term support role for application frameworks.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

bull3964 posted:

That's pretty much the spot I'm in too as well. Almost 11 years with my company, we were bought out a bit over 3 years ago and we never fully integrated. I'm still maintaining our own datacenter and we aren't staffed up enough to really properly support it. Again, fortunately it is exceedingly stable, but the toll is there.

I do have some light though, we'll be migrating and integrating into the corporate DC soon at which point I won't be on the hook 24/7 for at least the infrastructure piece anymore.

I'm still the subject mater expert for our application as far as troubleshooting goes. The dev teams, most of which have been there longer than me, don't have the breadth of knowledge. Corporate has DBAs, but they are mostly the "maintain indexes" type of DBAs rather than "deep dive and here's how some obscure thing is loving over the app DBAs." I'm about the only one that's capable of looking at the whole cohesive hole and running down a problem to its root cause.

I'm hoping to pivot into a system architect role within the company after we complete our migration at which point I'll be mostly in the implementation of new technologies rather than the long term support role for application frameworks.

I have some news for you. You’ll always be that guy at this job.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
With being on call all the time - I find this varies depending on three things:
1) Length of service: if you’ve been there forever, that means you’re accessible all the time. No one is going to bug the new guy and they all know you. I don’t know why this is.
2) Size of organisation: Small to medium organisation? Well because you’ve been there for a while and smiled at the CEO it now means you care so much about how the company performs that you’re always contactable. They will come over and congratulate you at your desk on Monday. But that doesn’t change the fact that you haven’t slept all weekend to keep things up.
3 Seniority: If you’re the boss or in Leadership and there’s a security breach (because we all know it’s a question of “When” rather than “if”) then you have to haul your rear end back to work. Even if it means getting on a plane. Or you might not have a job to go back to.

All that being said, this is why having heathy personal boundaries is mega important. I find that tech guys are pretty caring people 9/10 who just want to do a good job and work with cool technology, but this does get taken advantage of. I genuinely believe that a contribution to my divorce was that I didn’t have great boundaries with my work at the time. Not going to make that mistake again.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Our on call is a mess

My company have 5 sites

2/3 man team on each site.

In the old days, the 2/3 man team dealt with any OOH issues that came up directly.
The issue with this was 1 team were basically saying people can call whenever and they will come, but claiming overtime for the OOH work - when if it was managed properly, the issues could wait.

So then they cut off the dudes overtime because he was taking the mick with it, but he had created a culture of OOH calls which didnt go away so we implemented a rota where the 5 managers covered all sites 1 week each. No one was particularly impressed

Our company is quite good in terms of us putting out a comms to say 'only call this number in emergency and it must be sanctioned by a certain level of management' - this worked so I took the tact that if the management went to the bother of calling, the issue would be serious enough to be impacting on operations - therefore, unless it was outrageous, I'd just help them.

On the other hand, certain people on the rota took 'only call in an emergency' to be the imperative statement and decided to make out like they were super important and had been telling people oh no we don't do that out of hours you can wait - when quite often it was either easy to fix or something that needed sorting which reflects badly on IT imo.

So I got upset and said to my boss that we should have a 5 minute standup call at handover to say what came in and what people did - it will cut out the people pretending they are superstars at saying no because they wont dare act up if our boss is monitoring it and it also gives us a chance to understand what we support (or not) at the various sites as it's not the same across the board - this helped loads.

Also, we invited some of the helpdesk dudes who are more competent onto the rota so we are 1 week in 11 now which is preferable.

Oh - I really want the software that was linked a month or so ago here that deal with on call stuff- me and my mate looked at the stats for on call, our sites account for 5% of all OOH calls, so we want to just look after our own... we think a pager system that goes 1st escalation -> local team -> 2nd escalation -> 11 on call dudes -> 3rd escalation -> our boss --> this would mean, in the first instance, I hear about my own stuff and know whats going on, so I'm going to fix it quicker, if I'm genuinely busy, there are 8/9 dudes that can help, then should there really be some issue, my boss gets notified and can ask us why 11 people all weren't available, which seems fair enough.

But I pretty much take the attitude of if we do something that generates an OOH call that could be avoided you basically are getting the death penalty which is why we are 5% across 2 sites.

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 13, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The product you’re asking about is PagerDuty, I think. It is good.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We went with OpsGenie over pagerduty due to features + pricing. They have since lowered the pricing levels after the full Atlassian rebranding, it has been good for our team.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I might be tasked with setting up a syslog server and agent for Windows logs soon, specifically our AD server and probably security logs, and it's not something I've really dealt with. For some reason we don't have this set up yet and as part of my goal to get things better here I'm on board. After doing some googling, there are like a million options and I have no idea what's good and what not. I was hoping you goons would have a recommendation.

Free is great, but paying is fine if it's not insane pricing. I don't need any fancy bells and whistles, I just need to hold security logs longer than what I do now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
On-call rotations are such a pain in the rear end for everyone involved. Nobody wants to deal with it from a leadership standpoint. Its one of those things that people will weasel their way out of it over time if you don't audit it. If you don't watch it the pushovers will be the only ones on call. One department with 12 non-management engineers had 2 of them doing on call for the entire month at a time, switching it back and forth every month. When I asked their manager why it was this way his answer was "those two like on call and nobody else volunteered".

I made everyone on call again in IT operations. We have enough people where that coverage will dictate that no individual will be on call more than 3-4 weeks a year per department. What a poo poo show it has been. Every self important idiot wants to give me excuses on why they shouldn't be on call. I haven't made a single exception yet and I don't plan to. They automatically get a comp day if they deal with something off hours, they get a cell phone stipend, and the average incident raised for the on call people is something .3 per on call week.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Associate Dean (our boss) here is asking for a meeting tomorrow about "the State of IT Operations". We haven't met with her in over a year. I'm hoping this is just a discussion on how we're going to backfill a recently vacated role, but she also mentioned last year that we might have "split reporting duty" to the central IT group. Me and my boss are going to fight this tooth and nail if that's the case. Or we could just be fired, IDK.

I really hope they're going to fill this vacant position because we definitely have work for 3 people. I just get nervous every time we meet with her because it's been made very clear that she doesn't really believe in IT outside of a service capacity and she doesn't like myself and my boss very well because reasons.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

On-call rotations are such a pain in the rear end for everyone involved. Nobody wants to deal with it from a leadership standpoint. Its one of those things that people will weasel their way out of it over time if you don't audit it. If you don't watch it the pushovers will be the only ones on call. One department with 12 non-management engineers had 2 of them doing on call for the entire month at a time, switching it back and forth every month. When I asked their manager why it was this way his answer was "those two like on call and nobody else volunteered".

I made everyone on call again in IT operations. We have enough people where that coverage will dictate that no individual will be on call more than 3-4 weeks a year per department. What a poo poo show it has been. Every self important idiot wants to give me excuses on why they shouldn't be on call. I haven't made a single exception yet and I don't plan to. They automatically get a comp day if they deal with something off hours, they get a cell phone stipend, and the average incident raised for the on call people is something .3 per on call week.

My last company, we were fairly compensated for on-call--$200-$385 each week you were on rotation, depending on holidays. I got some calls on holiday break because our advanced support team didn't want to deal with the issue during their holiday break, but for an extra ~$6k a year, I gladly put up with it. I had a coworker who wasn't on call who volunteered to be on call 24x7x365 and work everyone's rotation. I'm sure there there are people working 50+ hours that just want to go home, but if people are paid fairly, I'd be surprised if there aren't enough volunteers to work the time of those who don't want it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

We went with OpsGenie over pagerduty due to features + pricing. They have since lowered the pricing levels after the full Atlassian rebranding, it has been good for our team.
VictorOps is another option to consider if you want something that provides more of a full incident management workflow

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
When I did on call in 2008 - 2009 we were paid $50 per call. I gladly took over all the on call since I was making like 50k back then. Only thing that sucked was the occasional sev 1 when I was out with friends.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have to be on call for on weekend a month which sucks but I get paid $80/day just to be on standby so that's ok.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We have an on-call rotation here. Works out to one week a month, until we hire more people. We get $250 extra and any call we get during after hours, 5pm-7am is paid at time and a half rate and one hour minimum, so it's not too bad.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
We do a one week on call rotation between six guys, so you're only on call for a week every couple of months. Who ever is on call gets paid an extra hour per day at time and a half during the week to carry the phone, two hours on the weekend. Any calls that actually come in are minimum two hours at time and a half. Holidays are double.

A normal week of on call without any calls nets most of our guys an extra $350 - $400.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nobody is here after 4:30PM so I'm freeeeeeee from on call duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

I just got confirmation that the 10% contractor pay cut is coming from so high up that there will be 0 exceptions to it regardless of who is prepared to walk away.

My boss is willing to compromise with me by allowing me to work an additional day from home so itll be 2 days at home 3 days onsite but I know the onsite demands will not make this realistic.

My other option is to convert my ad-hoc contract with my previous job into a 40 hour contract which cuts my commute down to 20 minutes from 1 1/2 hours each way and I will be earning more. They have been kind of begging me to come back. It does kind of feel like I'm going back to an ex-girlfriend though.

Alternatively I can find employment elsewhere through the 3rd party that manages my current contract with $big_bank and see if they can find a place that will match my current rate.
If you take the 10% pay cut, are you required to get "WELCOME" tattooed across your chest, or can you have it done across your back, instead?