Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Mister X grabs Leon by the face. "Subs or dubs?"

"Uhh, what?" Leon replies.

"SUBS OR DUBS NORMIE!"

wow what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Judging by the trench coat aesthetic in particular, I think X is a subs man.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
He wears a fedora too so he's definitely the kind of guy that only prefers fan-subs that add in a lot of swears.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there any extra content after the 2nd run?

Also, is there any chance Nemesis gets a REmake because it’s the only one I never played!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

snoremac posted:

HUNK's scenario and the Tofus once you beat HUNK's.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Speaking of the possibility of an RE3 Remake, would you prefer they kept in the bit in the original where the randomized puzzle solutions as well as some of the random item placement?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
gently caress I am pumped for the free DLC in a few days.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

snoremac posted:

Also, is there any chance Nemesis gets a REmake because it’s the only one I never played!

HUNK, Tofu, and Ghost Survivors (free DLC 2/15) are all in the Extra Modes tab. After that we’ll have to see.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
All I remember about Nemesis is that the environments are like 90% alleyways.

Also, I thought I distinctly remembered Nemesis being jettisoned into your building from a helicopter via a giant steel tube, but glancing through a letsplay of pt 3 is not showing me this. Did I imagine it?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Origami Dali posted:

Also, I thought I distinctly remembered Nemesis being jettisoned into your building from a helicopter via a giant steel tube, but glancing through a letsplay of pt 3 is not showing me this. Did I imagine it?

You're thinking of Mr. X in the original RE2. Which also does not happen in the remake.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Origami Dali posted:

Pretty sure that was Mr. X in the original RE2.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah that's Mr. X in RE2 '98. Nemesis makes his appearance in RE3 by just up-front killing Brad right in front of you.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Origami Dali posted:

That's how Mr. X shows up in the RE2 B-route.

e: Thread gon' give it to ya, holy crap

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Yep. First time around I got completely lost in a sea of "wtf" after hearing it, that moment is very much the sound of RE6 Leon taking a massive hit.

I absolutely cannot do this with a game while it's still new, half the fun is floundering around like an idiot and recovering when things go wrong. Removing that just makes everything by-the-numbers robotic and you can never get that "early days" enjoyment back; it'd be poo poo to lose that feeling less than a month after release.

Totally agree.

I play every new game without a strategy guide look up and only check youtube if I get hopelessly stuck or if I decide to do a second play through once I beat it. I mean, poo poo, otherwise why not just watch a Let's Play of it?

Seems to me you don't get youe money's worth out of it if you just go look at a walk through. This goes all the way back to the Sega Genesis/SNES days of cheat codes. I remember trying one or two back in the day and it just sucked all the fun out of the game.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
General horror game post:

After RE2 I started playing Evil Within and I like it, AND I started playing METRO 2033 (the redux bundle that also includes Last Light) and holy poop I am REALLY enjoying Metro. It is so Russian and bleak and dirty and miserable. loving phenomenal FPS.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of the possibility of an RE3 Remake, would you prefer they kept in the bit in the original where the randomized puzzle solutions as well as some of the random item placement?

That's the one big innovation from RE3 that I'm surprised hasn't been in more games since then, along with the branching story choices. I'd hope to see it return in a "RE3make."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think that design works in RE except in the Outbreak games, because it makes coordination always required since puzzle solutions could be slightly different in the same map

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Seeing as the semi-random puzzles/items were both features of RE3 being praised in reviews, I'd be surprised if they didn't come back. I'd actually be really disappointed!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id prefer they dont return. I didnt like it then and I dont like it now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They probably would as they are the memorable stuff the game has. That and Nemisis. Unlike 2 where the AB and police station are the parts that had to come back.

No one remembers the locations in three because they were kind of bland.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

sound design

I play in surround and the weird chirping/crow/cricket/bug sound during the pause and loading screens always makes me turn my head

amigolupus posted:

Not the puzzles but yes on the items. I'd even like to see the monster placements get shuffled.

I think RE3 and CV remakes makes the most sense since the biggest improvement they can make is the camera/controls. Plus, both those games had gameplay issues that a remake can work to fix. I can play stuff in the style of RE2, RE4 and RE7 for many many hours and really enjoyed 3 and CV when they came out.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 13, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I noticed a fantastic easter egg that I'd not seen commented on elsewhere. Take a close look at the side of the puzzle piece cube Sherry gets in the orphanage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if they do randomized puzzle solutions they need to steal the silent hill 3 option of being able to set game and puzzle difficulty separate. honestly any game with puzzles in it should do that because some people want a chill gameplay experience and hard puzzles and some people just want to play the game and bypass the puzzles entirely.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

General horror game post:

After RE2 I started playing Evil Within and I like it, AND I started playing METRO 2033 (the redux bundle that also includes Last Light) and holy poop I am REALLY enjoying Metro. It is so Russian and bleak and dirty and miserable. loving phenomenal FPS.

I kind of hated the Evil Within because the game can't decide what it wants to be, but Evil Within II loving rules and anyone who likes RE4 or whatever should give it a try. Metro 2033 is great; I have the bundle on PS4 but have never played the sequel (which I should since another one is coming out this week).

Discendo Vox posted:

I noticed a fantastic easter egg that I'd not seen commented on elsewhere. Take a close look at the side of the puzzle piece cube Sherry gets in the orphanage.

Can you just tell us

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

if they do randomized puzzle solutions they need to steal the silent hill 3 option of being able to set game and puzzle difficulty separate. honestly any game with puzzles in it should do that because some people want a chill gameplay experience and hard puzzles and some people just want to play the game and bypass the puzzles entirely.

I'd actually be okay with a mode in a lot of horror games where you could turn off the enemies and just have more puzzles, or at least more obstacles. Then again, I am exactly the rear end in a top hat who would play Roberta Williams's Umbrella Quest, where someone needs to figure out how to escape from an underground zombie lab with a coin, a thimble, a length of pipe, and a box cutter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wanderer posted:

I'd actually be okay with a mode in a lot of horror games where you could turn off the enemies and just have more puzzles, or at least more obstacles. Then again, I am exactly the rear end in a top hat who would play Roberta Williams's Umbrella Quest, where someone needs to figure out how to escape from an underground zombie lab with a coin, a thimble, a length of pipe, and a box cutter.
JILL, WATCH OUT! A POWHSONOUS SNAKE!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wanderer posted:

thank you for reminding me of this, which should be required reading for everyone who has never played adventure games: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/78.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I kind of hated the Evil Within because the game can't decide what it wants to be, but Evil Within II loving rules and anyone who likes RE4 or whatever should give it a try.

This is excellent advice.

EW1 was a bitch that shifted gears any time something started to get cool but 2 was a loving blast that fixed everything wrong with 1.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TEW 2 is one of my favorites of the past few years because horror games no longer let you wander around some hosed up horror city. the first big hub in TEW 2 is like straight out of the silent hill series.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Berzerker posted:

Can you just tell us

ohhh, but it's sooo goood the pattern from one of the plates from the plate puzzle is on the side

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rabidsquid posted:

TEW 2 is one of my favorites of the past few years because horror games no longer let you wander around some hosed up horror city. the first big hub in TEW 2 is like straight out of the silent hill series.

I would goddamn kill for the ability to knife-stealth zombies in this game like you can in TEW 2.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It would be nice if being able to use random objects as weapons or distractions just became a thing now in survival horror, after TLOU and TEW2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m so glad I wasn’t spoiled on when Mr X first appears.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nemesis in RE3 was loving mortifying because he overturned every game mechanic that was in existence

so yeah hi its me, the guy who likes RE3 despite.... well everything

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
except that drat water treatment plant puzzle

that was the worst

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol gently caress almost had all the Mr Raccoons that I was backtracking to from my sewer save with Claire B, but apparently there's one in the Orphanage that I'm not allowed to go back inside and the closest save I have is 22 min in so I guess I might as well just start Claire A fresh.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I don't even want the knife, I want infinite ammo just so I can casually explore and get the rest of the raccoons just because

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

Nemesis in RE3 was loving mortifying because he overturned every game mechanic that was in existence

so yeah hi its me, the guy who likes RE3 despite.... well everything

He was pretty similar to Mr X but you could kill him

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Gonna replay TEW 2 and RE3 thanks to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I would goddamn kill for the ability to knife-stealth zombies in this game like you can in TEW 2.

Mr. Barry Burton can do this in Revelations 2, so there is some precedent

Reset Smith fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 13, 2019